It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Christian. If your world view is more rational than mine please come show me.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

My interpretation of the creation account brings me to the idea that the Christian God is transcendent and immanent. I a still unclear as to what it is you actually believe though. I mean comparatvist. That doesn't really give me anything about your personal beliefs. Which is truly what I am interested in.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: celticdog

If you want something philosophical then what if there were no such thing as the bible. How would your world view be? Between Adam and Moses there are 2500 years according to the bible.

Thats not philosophical at all. There is such a thing as the Bible so to think about a world view that excludes it wouldn't be rational....

Why so long without the written word then it is done by piece meal over another 2000 years.

The Bible explains this, but I really have no reason to explain theology to you. The lack of written word does nothing to discredit that rationality of the Biblical world view, even though I explicitly created this thread so that I could hear your beliefs and form my own opinion as to which world view is more rational.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

So is God only immanent in your world view?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

So by extension is the Jewish God, and the Muslim God. Same God so why are you so right the others so wrong ?

The topic of the thread was your world view. If you are jewish or muslim please tell me why you think it is more rational than someone who has a biblical world view.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

My interpretation of the creation account brings me to the idea that the Christian God is transcendent and immanent.

Yes, but when the transcendent becomes immanent, it spreads across a kind of spectrum. Like a rainbow.

Space and time is like a prism. Transcendent Divinity is like the pure White light. Immanent Divinity is like the rainbow spectrum. Your religion is like one of the colors. Other religions are the other colors.

'My color is the one true color'. -The Fundamentalist

😕

'All religions, all this singing,
one song.

The differences are just illusion and vanity. Sunlight
looks slightly different

on this wall than it does on that wall and a lot different
on this other one, but

it is still one light. We have borrowed these clothes, these
time-and-space personalities,

from a light, and when we praise, we pour them back in.' -Rumi

😀

I a still unclear as to what it is you actually believe though. I mean comparatvist. That doesn't really give me anything about your personal beliefs. Which is truly what I am interested in.

Do you expect a simple answer?

Here, you might like this.

👣

edit on 803SundayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSundayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

If God wanted us to know the rules as laid out in the Bible (or some equivalent) wouldn't he etch the rules onto our souls, or brains, or if you are stuck on words, then why not on our forearms (or if wordy, it could continue onto other parts) and let us be born literate?

Christians believe he did write his law on your heart....christians don't believe you need the Bible to know right an wrong. The Bible is about the plan of salvation. Nothing more nothing less. Christians believe that there are things that are objectively wrong and things that are objectively right. It is not however the Christians position that a person has to agree with the moral code etched on their heart. They have the free will to ignore it or disobey it intentionally.

Why rely on us to invent writing and then rely (relay) on fallible humans to play a game of telephone over generations? Why not write it on the heavens above in a replaying animation, then? Or put in on every rock? As it stands, it seems He was content to wait eons and then let us pervert it as we see fit... so it's likely not very important... not as important as nature, anyway, where it is all actually written out.

Maybe you should look into how Jews kept oral tradition accurately. They used a syllable meter. Also supernatural claims like the ones about Jesus don't show up around other historical figures like alexander the great for hundreds of years after their death. The claims of Jesus show up inside the life span and geological area of people who could have simply said he wasn't real or hes dead go look in that tomb over there.....

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

there are very close dates here...

Rome took over Judea in 63BC

Christianity didn't start in Rome! it started in Judea...

Rome adopted Christianity in 300AD

I don't blame you bro... I blame the MARYLAND public schools!

See Maryland is the liberal mecca of the east, second only to California for freaked up laws and taxes.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AinElohim
Rome adopted Christianity in 300AD.

Rome did not adopt Christianity as a state religion until 380 AD under the reign of Theodosius.

edit on 15-3-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: isofakingwetoddid

You picked a very touchy subject to post here and expect to have a rational, unemotional discussion. But, more power to you.

Unfortunately the truth must by definition be rational. It doesn't have to be so touchy. In many of my conversations people are on the defensive before our talk has even begun simply because I am Christian and they have already formed their opinion of "the Christian" world view. They never take the time to actually understand where I am coming from nor do they ever take the time to show me why what I am saying is less rational than their own beliefs. This thread was made in an attempt to have people on here tell me what they think is the Truth , so that I can compare it to what I think is truth and we could discuss why we think our world view best answers what ever issue is at hand.

Let's see how rational this is in relation to all the "religious" beliefs out there. 1. ALWAYS tell the truth. 2. Do not violate the rights of your fellow man. 3. If you have a belief in a god, keep it to yourself. 4. Do not spend more than you have.

Well I don't think any of these get to the crux of what you believe about reality. They give us your view on moral, but I am willing to bet you think those morals are only "true" for you.

Why doesn't GOD just "forgive" Satan and the whole story goes away?

Well this is actually a very good question. Let me ask you this, If God is perfectly Just can what percentage of evil is he allowed to go unjudged?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I will respond to this post after I have watched the full video. I want you to know that I am truly listening to what you believe and trying my best to understand it and why you think it is the truth.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AinElohim

yes it did predate Christianity... both civilizations (Romans and Greeks) but the Greek go back much further, they existed along side such civilizations as Ancient Dynastic Egypt. By the time Rome stumble upon that place it was already Ptolemaic (Greek Pharaohs)

Irrelevant.

I always used to hear "Christianity came to Rome" one day I went searching for how it arrived... well it didn't see, the Greek civilization already embraced Christianity, so by the time Rome got that far east it was present in their assimilation right along side Greek architecture.

The Romans had already conquered and Romanized Europe and Asia by the time Christianity spread to Greece.

And they couldn't purge it... imagine that lol, it fundamentally changed Rome too.

It did nothing to their laws which was the original point of contention.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

the first people to call themselves Christians was in a "Greek" city named Antioch around 250 or 260AD

a roman province but Greek none the less.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

a reply to: isofakingwetoddid

You picked a very touchy subject to post here and expect to have a rational, unemotional discussion. But, more power to you.

In many of my conversations people are on the defensive before our talk has even begun simply because I am Christian and they have already formed their opinion of "the Christian" world view. They never take the time to actually understand where I am coming from nor do they ever take the time to show me why what I am saying is less rational than their own beliefs. This thread was made in an attempt to have people on here tell me what they think is the Truth , so that I can compare it to what I think is truth and we could discuss why we think our world view best answers what ever issue is at hand.

I have tried to engage you in conversation but I find it is you who are the defensive one.

I believe it or not, am also "Christian"... but I don't believe in Jesus or God, nor do I follow the Bible... But I am "Christian" in that I live morally by the words accredited to Jesus.

Love thy neighbour, forgive, love, treat others as you would be treated etc etc.

That said, I have no faith in humankind or human science, physics, mathematics etc etc, they are all made by man... we can prove or disprove anything we wish if we create the system.

I fail to understand what it is you are actually fishing for here other than from a place of feeling superior and telling everyone who believes different that they are wrong.

What is it you want as an answer?, be more specific.
edit on Mar385131America/ChicagoSun, 15 Mar 2015 13:38:51 -0500_8183831 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

This is probably hard for you to comprehend...

This was unnecessary. Are you here because your an anti-theist and just want to ridicule me or do you actually want to have a discussion?

You outlined your worldview in the OP, my response is directly to that description, no escape there im afraid...

Yes and I gave absolutely no reason for why that was my world view as I created the thread to discuss and compare my world view with others in a respectful manner. I gave no reasons in the OP so that the discussions would stay on one topic and I could avoid being steamrolled in many comments. I already am trying my best to respond to everyone if I had multiple topics being brought up in every comment like I do on most of my threads there would be no way for me to convey the meanings of each point individually. This seems to have worked out nicely as you and I are just on the topic of ethics and which world view is more rational when it comes to its view on ethics.

I believe morals are subjective to the society or culture you're immersed in. What is moral to us may not be moral to people from another culture, and who the **** are we to impose our morality on them?

This philosophically reduces to moral nihilism do you disagree?
edit on 15-3-2015 by ServantOfTheLamb because: typo

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I will respond to this post after I have watched the full video. I want you to know that I am truly listening to what you believe and trying my best to understand it and why you think it is the truth.

🆒

👣

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Just had to point out ... what happened to Rome once it adopted that state religion?

Might want to pander to pagans... just in case! Heh...

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

this means absolutely nothing to you?

notice the color groupings... "baby blue"

I guess Rome's "style" means noting either, being a facsimile of Greek? (and did not exist pre-roman-republic)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

additionally there are 2 Rome's East and West.

and there is nothing to do with Roma and Masonry bro...

Masonry is directly tied into the Greek Pagan gods (bypassing and predating Rome or "west Rome" altogether)

start here...

come visit DC, I will walk you thru your craft...

edit on 15-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

The purpose of this thread is not however to discuss my world view, as it gets enough criticism on here as it is. The purpose of this thread is for those who think their world view is more rational than an accurate biblical world view to put their world view up for philosophical analysis.

So basically the question that is being posed here is if you think Christianity is wrong, what is the better more plausible option that you have come up with.

Wow. Weirdness! Synchronicity!

I just now -JUST NOW - made a new thread that is, as it turns out, the perfect response to your OP.
Nature, Man and Woman: Alan Watts, copyright 1958

Have a look if you like.

Short answer: Christians and the Bible do not have a monopoly on The Truth.
Stretch those limits, c'mon man - stretch! Stretch!!! Out of your comfort zone....that's it!

There are amazingly wonderful people in all walks of life; some familiar to us and others not. Stretch yourself and really get to know people. People are in many ways one of our greatest treasures.
Read more at www.brainyquote.com...

edit on 3/15/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

Oh, so we ARE all given the moral compass written on our hearts... and free will explains why some ignore it... I see (sorta).

Then why is the 'plan for salvation' so darned complex that it needs an instruction booklet... or book, while the moral compass is so succinct? Couldn't G have managed it all on the heart?

It's almost as if there was more thought and planning put into one over the other? Or are hearts only so big? Maybe the Grinch's could fit both and some handy recipes?

And I always thought God was more elegantly simple... while humans were neurotic and overly complex... but I'm silly, and tend to over simplify complex topics... while also being neurotic... so don't mind me.

Oh, and I have a passing familiarity with Jewish oral tradition and have been told it was amazingly accurate due to it's innate structure... but it still strikes me as 'unGodlike' to need writing to get a point across.

edit on 3/15/2015 by Baddogma because: flesh out inubstanial musings

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join