It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Christian. If your world view is more rational than mine please come show me.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Are you implying or affirming there's no way that any other believer of alternate faiths and belief systems have a more rational view than yourself? ie: Hebrew, Buddist, Muslim.

I think its quite obvious that I believe the Christian world view is more rational than any I have come in contact with. I don't see how you got that I was implying no world view could be more rational mine. I simply haven't found any. So for those who think there is more rational I would like to analyze it. Yet people are so hostile when it comes to putting their beliefs up from criticism.

And that they cant have a more rational view than yourself when you've limited that opinion in one circle of a belief system: Christianity?

I haven't limited anything. I don't know of another world view that is as rational and coherent as the Biblical world view. Hence the question, what is more rational and why?

Christianity is not wrong...but neither are any of the others to their believers, and I respect that. I

This statement shows me that in your world view...truth is subjective...am I wrong?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: AinElohim
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Rome (more precisely "western Rome") did not start off this as this magnificent empire with all this cool architecture right out of the box.

In fact all of Roman architecture is Ancient Greek, the Romans only added 4 elements (slight styles of their own)

It was the same with their gods and goddesses, too.

From my studies I am finding that Greece, too, was heavily influenced by what preceded it. Civilization has been a roll on process since ancient Sumer and beyond.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Rome (more precisely "western Rome") did not start off as this magnificent empire with all this cool architecture right out of the box. It was assimilated.

In fact all of Roman architecture is Ancient Greek, the Romans only added 4 elements (slight styles of their own)

And what does that have to do with Mosaic Law not being a part of Roman Law?

Rhetorical, the answer is 'nothing'.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: deuceawesome

Having said that, I still believe in a higher power that we do not understand yet, and I still believe that the ten commandments are good rules to live your life by. I am a good person, and live a more "christian" life than many who proclaim to be one.

I see you saying what you believe, but why? Why believe in a impersonal higher power? What does it mean to be a good person?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
Firstly I want to point out that I am not here to bash any religion in particular.

My belief is that "it is what it is"

There is no "god" or mystical being that created everything.. humanity, the earth and everything in it is just a tiny part of a huge ever present "nature" that has always existed and will always exist.

There was no beginning and there will be no end.

Just because we, in our limited capacity to understand, cannot cope with that idea and have to create stories to make us feel special and comfortable we create our own gods.

Prehistoric mankind created gods, modern men create super heroes... beings that are superior to us and that we feel we need to aspire to.

I always love it when this stuff shows up... aggressive at the onset and rearing for a little blood.

yep... seen it, been there, done that.

How is religion any different? With religion you believe some mythical being just popped up out of nothing and created everything from nothing.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
I'd post this as a reply...

...but I'm better than that.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I am Christian. If your world view is more rational than mine please come show me.

Okay ... that's easy. Take a look at what you said here -

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
I don't cling to any teachings other than the Bible.

Large parts of the bible can easily be debunked. It's more rational to 'cling' to that which is proven true rather than that which is proven untrue. Common sense.

ATS Thread - Actions Punishable By Death in the Bible
ATS Thread - Did Exodus Really Happen? Probably Not
ATS Thread - Did Abraham Every Really Exist?
ATS Thread - 10 Commandments Doctrine of Men

I'm a Christian, but refusing to acknowledge teachings and truth other than the bible is just messed up.

edit on 3/15/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

All I see is you bashing my world view.

I criticize many world-views. Don't feel singled out or picked on.

You haven't given me anything more rational than the Biblical world view.

Sure I did. I gave you the name of a world-view more rational than a fundamentalist world-view. Comparativism.

You don't seem to actually want to talk about your beliefs though you seem to want to discuss the issues you have with mine.

That's because you don't have the background knowledge that is necessary in order to understand my beliefs. You would have spend time studying comparative religion, comparative mythology, and comparative mysticism. Conversely, I have what it takes to understand where you are coming from, because I was a lot like you when I was young.

If I thought you were open to learning comparativism, I would give you some vids to watch and some book recommendations.

👣

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Since you brought it up, it is on you to prove your view is the more rational. This sounds more like a "My religion is best" type of thing, not an actual discussion.

I didn't bring anything up other than I wanted to hear what you think is the most rationale world view. I made a thread to talk about other views not my own, and yet all the comments so far haven't given one shread of evidence or philosophical arguments for assuming their world view to be the most rationale.

The burden of proof is not on me when all i have done is simply ask you a question it seems your scared to answer, "What do you believe and why?"

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Yea except faith can also be defined as complete trust in someone or something.....

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Since you brought it up, it is on you to prove your view is the more rational. This sounds more like a "My religion is best" type of thing, not an actual discussion.

I didn't bring anything up other than I wanted to hear what you think is the most rationale world view. I made a thread to talk about other views not my own, and yet all the comments so far haven't given one shread of evidence or philosophical arguments for assuming their world view to be the most rationale.

The burden of proof is not on me when all i have done is simply ask you a question it seems your scared to answer, "What do you believe and why?"

..and yet when we answer we are attacked..

You are just baiting, so what is the point in any reply? You are holding to your belief which is admirable but if you don't want an answer why ask the question?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Wrong. The Christian God is eternal, "without beginning or end."

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

a reply to: BlueMule

All I see is you bashing my world view. You haven't given me anything more rational than the Biblical world view.

ya ok I didnt see any bashing he just gave you a good answer. youre not going to learn much about the world by standing and looking at one corner.______ these type of threads always go this way. round and round, and by the way I think youre bashing him for answering the question you asked to be answered, I mean really these types of threads get so old

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Quoted by you but messed about a little to prove a point...

In order for you to say I believe God, and then claim that it is God and that God is eternal you would first have to know that it is actually God...and you haven't given any rational reason for us to assume that it is actually God.

On one hand you say it is impossible for the universe to have no beginning or end and then say god has no beginning or end.

See the irony?
edit on Mar112331America/ChicagoSun, 15 Mar 2015 12:11:23 -0500_7571131 by Mister_Bit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So by extension is the Jewish God, and the Muslim God.

Same God so why are you so right the others so wrong ?

Just asking

Cody

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

If that is so whats the better alternative. i am not here to convert you to my world view. I am here to let me show me yours is rational and coherent.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

which was... adopted from Greek where they expanded into. (Christian Greek)

then Christian Greek fundamentally changed the western roman empire from within.

No, Roman Law was copied from the Greek using the Laws of Solon and predated Christianity by centuries.

Mosaic Law never factored into Roman Law nor did the Byzantine Empire have influence.

yes it did predate Christianity... both civilizations (Romans and Greeks) but the Greek go back much further, they existed along side such civilizations as Ancient Dynastic Egypt. By the time Rome stumble upon that place it was already Ptolemaic (Greek Pharaohs)

Here this is a poor example but it should give some idea at the timeline....

I always used to hear "Christianity came to Rome" one day I went searching for how it arrived... well it didn't see, the Greek civilization already embraced Christianity, so by the time Rome got that far east it was present in their assimilation right along side Greek architecture.

And they couldn't purge it... imagine that lol, it fundamentally changed Rome too.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

That's because God transcends time and space. But the thing about that is, it means transcending names and forms. Which means transcending culture and culture-bound religions who cling to particular names.

So, a mature religious world-view will draw a distinction between transcendent Divinity and immanent Divinity. Which leads to a distinction between cataphatic and apophatic theology.

I don't think your exegesis is subtle and sophisticated enough for that. Fundamentalism never is. It's just judge, judge, judge.

👣

edit on 764SundayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSundayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

What is the point of this post? You don't want to be shown anything.

So basically the question that is being posed here is if you think Christianity is right then what is the need for this post other than, as happens invariably in this kind of post, to put your worldview up for criticism which you claim is done often enough already?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The topic of this thread wasn't the Christian world view. The topic was alternative world views and their coherence. I elaborated on why I said I cling to the Biblical teachings which many have just taken to mean I am not open to other views. Thats not what I mean at all. All I meant was that what other Christians believe doesn't matter to me.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join