It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Christian. If your world view is more rational than mine please come show me.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I am Christian. I don't cling to any teachings other than the Bible.I am not here defending the Christian religion. My world view is that of a biblical world view. There is a personal God who created the universe, that is the essence of Goodness and Truth. Human beings have intrinsic value and are therefore to be respected and treated with love. The purpose of this thread is not however to discuss my world view, as it gets enough criticism on here as it is. The purpose of this thread is for those who think their world view is more rational than an accurate biblical world view to put their world view up for philosophical analysis.

So basically the question that is being posed here is if you think Christianity is wrong, what is the better more plausible option that you have come up with.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb
I don't cling to any teachings other than the Bible.

Well, that alone makes your world-view less rational than mine, which is that of a comparativist. I learn from the entirety of world religion and myth. Instead of arrogantly assuming that the dominant religion of the culture I happen to be a part of is the only thing worth knowing about.

So basically the question that is being posed here is if you think Christianity is wrong, what is the better more plausible option that you have come up with.

It's not that Christianity is wrong. It's that the kindergarten exegesis of a myopic fundamentalist has a lot of growing up to do.

👣

edit on 719SundayuAmerica/ChicagoMaruSundayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Firstly I want to point out that I am not here to bash any religion in particular.

My belief is that "it is what it is"

There is no "god" or mystical being that created everything.. humanity, the earth and everything in it is just a tiny part of a huge ever present "nature" that has always existed and will always exist.

There was no beginning and there will be no end.

Just because we, in our limited capacity to understand, cannot cope with that idea and have to create stories to make us feel special and comfortable we create our own gods.

Prehistoric mankind created gods, modern men create super heroes... beings that are superior to us and that we feel we need to aspire to.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I don't cling to any teachings other than the Bible.

the Bible is good... Jesus the Philosopher King can help you sort through others teachings that are worth keeping.

the Bible is the base foundation of our law and society (western civilization/english speaking world)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

All I see is you bashing my world view. You haven't given me anything more rational than the Biblical world view. You don't seem to actually want to talk about your beliefs though you seem to want to discuss the issues you have with mine. I made the statement about only adhering to Biblical teachings so I wouldn't get a lot of people coming on here attacking beliefs of young earth creationist or catholics orpentecostal. I wanted them to know that what I believe comes from my own personal views.

Instead of arrogantly assuming that the dominant religion of the culture I happen to be a part of is the only thing worth knowing about.

I never once said the Bible was true because the majority of people believe it to be true, or that its world view was true because a lot of people believe it. The first comment and already we have people ignoring the purpose of the thread which is for your to beliefs to be analyzed so that we can actually see if your world view is rational and coherent. Rather than you just bashing the Christian and saying we are irrational how about we see how rational you actually are?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: AinElohim

the Bible is the base foundation of our law and society (western civilization/english speaking world)

No it is not. Civic Law is based off of codified Roman Law.

edit on 15-3-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Bring back the Limelight

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

Are you implying or affirming there's no way that any other believer of alternate faiths and belief systems have a more rational view than yourself? ie: Hebrew, Buddist, Muslim.

And that they cant have a more rational view than yourself when you've limited that opinion in one circle of a belief system: Christianity?

I'm sure they of other faiths believe as you do in theirs. Singular and one-sided...and acting... as yourself is here...that anyone else can't possibly have more rationale as theirs.

That excludes the whole world of faiths and colors as not being capable of sharing your similar rationale equally than you are with Christianity.

*You:
"So basically the question that is being posed here is if you think Christianity is wrong, what is the better more plausible option that you have come up with."

*Me: Christianity is not wrong...but neither are any of the others to their believers, and I respect that. I believe each poster to this thread of each faith....would profess theirs.

You are standing on a soapbox telling the world to convince you youre right.

MS
Christian

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: splckr

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I had enough church and bible as a boy to last me a lifetime. It took years for me to shed the chains of religion and see how the world actually works. I am so happy with my enlightenment.

Having said that, I still believe in a higher power that we do not understand yet, and I still believe that the ten commandments are good rules to live your life by. I am a good person, and live a more "christian" life than many who proclaim to be one.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
Firstly I want to point out that I am not here to bash any religion in particular.

There is no "god" or mystical being that created everything.. humanity, the earth and everything in it is just a tiny part of a huge ever present "nature" that has always existed and will always exist.

Just because we, in our limited capacity to understand, cannot cope with that idea and have to create stories to make us feel special and comfortable we create our own gods.

Prehistoric mankind created gods, modern men create super heroes... beings that are superior to us and that we feel we need to aspire to.

I always love it when this stuff shows up... aggressive at the onset and rearing for a little blood.

yep... seen it, been there, done that.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Since you brought it up, it is on you to prove your view is the more rational.
This sounds more like a "My religion is best" type of thing, not an actual discussion.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Mister_Bit

So if I am going to analyze this I am going to just have to point out that such a premise is an argument from omniscience. In order for you to say I believe that it is what it is, and then claim that what is, is that there is no God and that the universe is eternal you would first have to know that is actually what is...and you haven't given any rational reason for us to assume that is the way reality actually is.

The second thing I would like to point out is that you have called the universe eternal. The overwhelming consensus of science is that this universe had a beginning. There are other models, such as the oscillating model of the universe but this has major problems and it has been estimated on the current basis of entropy that the universe couldn't have gone through more than 100 oscillations. There is simply no good rational model of an eternal universe at present time.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No it is not. Civic Law is based off of codified Roman Law.

which was... adopted from Greek where they expanded into. (Christian Greek)

then Christian Greek fundamentally changed the western roman empire from within.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AinElohim

Sounds a lot like "Faith" doesn't it?

faith
fāTH/Submit
noun

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
synonyms: religion, church, sect, denomination, (religious) persuasion, (religious) belief, ideology, creed, teaching, doctrine
"she gave her life for her faith"

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You have no evidence to support your world view, it is based on nothing but the imaginations of ancient, hysterical and ignorant goat herders.

Probably one of the worst foundations for a worldview you could possibly have....
edit on 15-3-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit

I always love it when this stuff shows up... aggressive at the onset and rearing for a little blood.

yep... seen it, been there, done that.

I was asked a question "what is your view?"

I answered, I never attacked anyone...

You are attacking me... So who is out for blood? You are the one attacking when I simply answered a question.

I'm not saying my view is right or your view is wrong... I am simply giving my view as requested in the opening question.

Do you understand now why you people are always attacked?

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

which was... adopted from Greek where they expanded into. (Christian Greek)

then Christian Greek fundamentally changed the western roman empire from within.

No, Roman Law was copied from the Greek using the Laws of Solon and predated Christianity by centuries.

Mosaic Law never factored into Roman Law nor did the Byzantine Empire have influence.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Rome (more precisely "western Rome") did not start off as this magnificent empire with all this cool architecture right out of the box. It was assimilated.

In fact all of Roman architecture is Ancient Greek, the Romans only added 4 elements (slight styles of their own)
edit on 15-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

There are different world views held by different denominations of Christians. The Catholic world view is different to the Protestant world view. My world view may be very different to your world view even though we both follow Christ.

It is not that simple OP.

Even in Mafia circles belief in the Catholic Church was held. Now that is a very different world view (as an extreme example).

Christianity is a religion. It is not a political or philosophical perspective. One can be a Christian and a Republican or a Democrat or anything else. Such people will have vastly different world views.

It is a religion OP to do with faith and spirit. It would have been better to say that your religion makes you better behaved than other religions make their believers behave. Even then it would be a little bigoted. I know many people who are making a much better success of their lives than I am who are not religious at all.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

a reply to: Mister_Bit

So if I am going to analyze this I am going to just have to point out that such a premise is an argument from omniscience. In order for you to say I believe that it is what it is, and then claim that what is, is that there is no God and that the universe is eternal you would first have to know that is actually what is...and you haven't given any rational reason for us to assume that is the way reality actually is.

The second thing I would like to point out is that you have called the universe eternal. The overwhelming consensus of science is that this universe had a beginning. There are other models, such as the oscillating model of the universe but this has major problems and it has been estimated on the current basis of entropy that the universe couldn't have gone through more than 100 oscillations. There is simply no good rational model of an eternal universe at present time.

Well, good points but then the "big bang THEORY" is only a theory. Correct?

The thing is, no one really knows do they? (before you jump up and run around claiming victory... you can't claim you know either)

What if "the big bang" of our universe is only like a raindrop falling in a sea? The universe is obviously very important to us but could be no more than a natural occurrence in an infinitely large megaverse.

Humans have this strange habit of thinking because they don't understand something, then that something must be magical or illogical... remember it is mankind that created science, mathematics, physics... they are all man made constructions.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I don't normally bite onto religious threads but I am going to give this one a go.

Firstly I am Catholic, I believe in God, Jesus and all that jazz.

However I am also a logical person who takes science and history seriously, in my world view the Big Bang happened, but there may have been the influence of a "higher power" behind it. I see much of the Old Testament as a metaphor in this respect.

This view works for me, I can understand and respect the knowledge of science, yet at the same time my faith provides me with hope and a moral compass that provides me with a framework for how I live my life. At the same time however I can respect and understand why others my follow a different faith or that they may have no faith atoll.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join