It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of the Good Guy With a Gun

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: budski

No. As I said, the data is what the data is. This debate is not about the veracity of the data. The debate is about people drawing unsubstantiated causal correlations from the data. That is incorrect. Not even the FBI is doing that. You are. And others with similar agendas.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: budski

Rubbish.
They talk a good game is all.

You gave up more rights after 9/11 than any other country at any time in history.

Yea, well, when your government comes to take away your guns, you can see how tough you are.....Oh wait, they already did that.

If you are happy where you live and you are happy with your laws and rights, then great. I am happy you are happy.

I am not advocating for more dentistry and forced check ups in the UK, nor am I advocating for less Tea and Crumpets. I think you should have the right to live your life as you see fit.

(see how ignorant it looks when someone uses a social stereotype to make their point?)

Be happy you live where you do, as I am happy to live in the Greatest country in the world. (we call that pride )
BTW, you are free to make the same claim if you wish.

(post by budski removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

POST REMOVED BY STAFF

I have a shotgun with a 28" barrel. What have you got?

Yea, that's what I thought.

edit on Thu Feb 12 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So now that he is gone, and he wont be offended.... who wants to go target shooting? LOL

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75
So now that he is gone, and he wont be offended.... who wants to go target shooting? LOL

I'm game... let me get my AR.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

That's because most other countries don't have the same rights to give up.

That said, just because they did it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do...and you write as if we all willingly go in line and gave up our 4th-amendment cards to the government. This is the type of crap that happens when people with no backbone are elected into office and don't understand that, with freedoms come possible deadly consequences, but to give up freedom for a sense of security is a futile practice.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Oh. You mean like that time our forefathers gave up meekly in the face of the British Crown?

No, that sounds off... didn't we kick your ass and start an independent nation? We did, didn't we? One of the rules we chose was "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" so... yeah... we're gonna go ahead and go with that...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

LaPierre’s central message: Owning a gun is the solution. The world is a scary place. There are bad guys everywhere threatening you and your family, and the only thing they’re afraid of is a gun in your hands.

Tragically, a record number of Americans subscribe to some version of this mythology, with 63 percent (67 percent of men polled and 58 percent of women) believing that guns truly do make them safer. The public’s confidence in firearms, however, is woefully misguided: The evidence overwhelmingly shows that guns leave everybody less safe, including their owners.

A study from October 2013 analyzed data from 27 developed nations to examine the impact of firearm prevalence on the mortality rate. It found an extremely strong direct relationship between the number of firearms and firearm deaths. The paper concludes: “The current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that guns make a nation safer.” This finding is bolstered by several previous studies that have revealed a significant link between gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. This international comparison is especially harrowing for women and children, who die from gun violence in America at far higher rates than in other countries.

Source

This is perhaps the most definitive piece I have read (including sources) about guns, and the relationship between gun ownership and violence.
This part is particularly relevant as I hear so many bang on about "responsible" gun ownership.

Everyone likes to pretend that he or she is more rational, more responsible, and more immune to the risks that gun ownership poses relative to the average American. Yet, we know from gun violence statistics that many are simply misjudging their own competency. Everyone thinks he or she is above average, but half are mistaken.

There are multiple sources and good statistical evidence that to me trumps any anecdotal evidence that is the usual battle cry of the gun enthusiast.

Put quite simply, the evidence overwhelmingly shows that more guns = more deaths from guns,

SLATE!!!!!That is your source?HA!HA!HA!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: hogstooth

Because it's a car, mate, not a nuclear submarine.

A car can still be a 2 ton weapon traveling at 50-70mph in the wrong hands.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I do I do, as my dad would say, I have some cans to shoot, AmeriCANS, MexiCANS, AfriCANS etc. I know Bad joke, but in light of the astonishingly stupid argument of the OP, well, you get my point!!!

Reply to Punisher
edit on 12-2-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
My daughter will be 5 in may... Start yelling at me if you want but you should see her shoot the sh!t out of center mass with her Colt M4 22lr.

Guns have been part of my entire life and will be part of my children's entire life.

Proper training and continuous desensitization around the "mystique" of a firearm to a child and a young adult is essential.

When I was a kid all I wanted to do was play Hockey. All my non gun owning friends wanted my dad to take us shooting. When my dad would take us they couldn't pick them up and play with them enough. Dry firing and pew pew pewing all about. I hated it when my groups mixed. When my gun shooting friends and my non gun ownnig friends would get together they were embarrassing.

Eventually the friends that did not get guns in their life were no longer my friends. (blatant safety issue)

Guns will keep me and my family safe when others can't.

Judge away!

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

It's been fun watching you guys get all riled up about your penis replacements, but I have to go now.

I have a shotgun with a 28" barrel. What have you got?

Yea, that's what I thought.

The last weapon I fired was an SA80

I'd say that beats your shotgun

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

That is where you are wrong. Guns were not just invented to kill men. ANy invention that has a good use can be mis used.

You want ALL weapons gone right? No utensils,nothing sharp,blunt or throwable too. I mean everything can be a weapon if used properly. So guess we should all just give up living or building since tools are weapons too.

The "scientist" apparently is a pacifist and as such wrote a biased paper. Its more feel good bullcrap.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Psyche eval? Ermm not in GA, and probably not in a lot of others places either, where you don't eve have to get printed or background checked unless you get a carry permit.

It's way way way easier to get a gun than a drivers license gere. And speaking of training GA has a proposed bill brewing that there be 8 hours if mandatory training, I believe, to get a carry permit. And of course some people are up in arms about the cost.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BlastedCaddy

My 6 yr old grandson has his own "6 hour" opps Sig Sauer. And knows how to use it. I agree it is much better to teach them early. My son is a sniper. His kids know how to defend themselves.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It also depends on culture and social conditions.

In Switzerland there is a gun in almost every house yet they had one of the lowest murder rates. At least that's how it was a few years ago.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

Oh. You mean like that time our forefathers gave up meekly in the face of the British Crown?

No, that sounds off... didn't we kick your ass and start an independent nation? We did, didn't we? One of the rules we chose was "the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" so... yeah... we're gonna go ahead and go with that...

Not really, if we'd sent our real army, you'd still be bowing to the queen.

You didn't choose "the right to bear arms", you chose "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Now I think we can all agree that the wording is a little ambiguous, and has been the subject of much debate, so taking a position on this becomes a little difficult, but playing devils advocate for a moment, is any gun owner here part of a well regulated militia?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join