It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of the Good Guy With a Gun

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: budski

originally posted by: Punisher75

Yeah, gun deaths are a disease.

Naw Meglomaina is a disease.
You know that mental illness that wants to control everyone around them?

No worse than the paranoia which makes people think everyone is out to get them and that owning a gun is the answer.

or the even more irrational paranoia that an inanimate object is going to kill them and thus should be removed from society completely.....

oh theres fear here, but not from the gun owners

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Can someone tell me why they feel the need to be armed?

To keep people like you from taking my guns, or whatever else you decide I shouldn't have.

I'll hazard a guess and say that the day the government turns up on your doorstep and demands you hand over your guns, you'll go along with it and meekly hand them over.

There won't be a "revolution", there won't be an armed insurrection, the government won't be overthrown by "patriots", you'll all just give them up, and the world will see that all this "cold dead hands" nonsense is exactly that - nonsense.

Keyboard warriors - I s**t 'em.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

No worse than the paranoia which makes people think everyone is out to get them and that owning a gun is the answer.

or the even more irrational paranoia that an inanimate object is going to kill them and thus should be removed from society completely.....

Over 30,000 gun deaths a year says you're wrong.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Guessing you did not read my answer to your question of can anyone say why they own a gun. Here....I will post it for you again and you let me know if I am being paranoid or not. I will say that paranoia is those that want to ban something because they THINK it is bad.

Can someone tell me why they feel the need to be armed?

This isn't about a NEED for guns, it's about WANTING guns, and that opens up a whole new aspect, especially psychologically.

Sure....I can tell you exactly why. My family has had a violent stalker for years now that continues to be let out of prison because of overcrowding. He has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and does not take his meds once he gets out. He has been released 6 times now, each time after about 6 months in. He waits about 3 months each time then begins the cycle all over again. He has been charged with aggravated stalking and terroristic threats. He has shown up at palces we go to eat, our houses, and work places.

I carry daily, yet have not felt the need to use deadly force against him as each time I have been able to resort to other means in the circumstances. I have a family of 5 and he has threatened each of them, as well as my parents and in-laws. He threatens death.

I carry because each time he ups the ante.....it always escalates every time he is released. I don't want to not be prepared for the one day he decides to try to make good on his threats.

I have followed every single rule by the legal handbook with around 23 police reports, two TPO's and spent about 2 weeks worth of time in courts to go about it the right way.

I am a responsible gun owner who has a definitive threat to my family and I choose to be able to defend myself against threats such as the one I have. Sometimes police are not just waiting at my house/work/eatery for him to show up, and dialing a number prior to getting my family safe would likely result in my family not being safe.

I choose to carry a gun......I live in the US.

You live in the UK...you couldn't choose to even if you want.

You stay there and keep your ideas to yourself, and I will keep my ideas of a government controlled society in the UK to me.

link   

I'll hazard a guess and say that the day the government turns up on your doorstep and demands you hand over your guns, you'll go along with it and meekly hand them over.

There won't be a "revolution", there won't be an armed insurrection, the government won't be overthrown by "patriots", you'll all just give them up, and the world will see that all this "cold dead hands" nonsense is exactly that - nonsense.

So in short then you just acknowledged that guns ownership cannot be a problem, because we are all to scared to use them?

Your not very good at this are you?

link   
a reply to: stosh64

The innocent/accidently dead people had rights too, of course because you won't give up your weapons, they lost those rights and their life...

Sounds fair

link   

No, what you are saying is that because there is a small drop in gun deaths, and gun ownership has risen, and by your own account that was due to "responsible" people buying LOTS of guns, the stats are worthless, but the reality is that the ratio is skewed because loons started buying loads of guns just in case they were made illegal.

A small drop doesn't mean that "everything is OK", the basic premise remains, and that is that the amount of guns in circulation means more gun deaths.

Wait for it.......

from your OP:

Put quite simply, the evidence overwhelmingly shows that more guns = more deaths from guns,

The pure irony here is tangible. Thanks for being "that guy".

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: budski

What....your saying that criminals are included in the responsible gun ownership category? They go check in to let the statisticians know they have a few guns? Again....you are wrong. Responsible gun owners ARE the ones in the stats.

The drop is not small by ANY means at all....it is huge.

And by the way , the last article you posted does not relate to gun BANNING...it relates to gun LAWS. Laws are there for responsible gun owners to follow, and they do. The article ALSO states:

The real question is not about the number of firearm laws but whether the laws ultimately safeguard the citizens they are intended to protect. Although multiple studies have examined the relationship between federal and state firearm laws and homicide and suicide rates, the overall association between firearm legislation and firearm mortality is uncertain and remains controversial.7,8

So they can't even be certain about their research and stats, yet you are taking it as fact....again.....FAIL.

No, I'm saying, as you well know, that buying a lot more guns in response to legislation means that the ratio becomes skewed, and it does.

I see you have the internet disease where you think that posting puerile arguments means you have "won".
Just because you keep shouting "fail" doesn't make it true.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
'Cars kill more people than firearms every year.'

But yet you never hear of someone holding up a liquor store with a Prius.

If a responsible gun owner wants to own a gun then that's their right, but when an irresponsible gun owner gets a hold of a gun and commits a crime then serious questions need to be asked. Where are the guns going from and who are providing them? I'd like to think that a simple sidearm would suffice, but in this day in age some people arm themselves to the teeth on the premise that others who may or may not do their families harm are also armed to the teeth and I'd hate to live in a place where one feels a semi automatic weapon is necessary to protect ones family.

link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: blupblup

You are absolutely unwilling to hear anything other than your own voice.

Please do not respond to this, as I have no desire to continue this conversation.

*Translation*

I can't actually counter your post and the logic I used is not actually logic.
I wont debate any longer as I have literally no clue.
edit on 12/2/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: budski

hey now.

I've been reading this whole thread, and just thinking, well, this person is in a different country, and so doesn't really understand the real mentality of an average person here in the US.

But that statement seems like you are judging everyone in the US this way.
I'm a lady. I own a gun. I am not paranoid. I don't want to hurt anyone. I live in the country and have to deal with wild animals that want to eat my animals.
So I have a gun. As is my right.

I guess I really don't understand why this issue bothers you, since you don't live here. You don't like guns, and live in a country where for the most part you can't have them. Aren't you happy with that? Are you moving to the US? Have you ever been to the US? Do you have family here?

edit on 12-2-2015 by chiefsmom because: clar

edit on 12-2-2015 by chiefsmom because: spelling as usual

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Your source article says your wrong. It also says the article's author is completely inept at translating stats from national databases, as are you. The agenda is what is behind the argument, and the agenda will always lose when facts are revealed.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

So in short then you just acknowledged that guns ownership cannot be a problem, because we are all to scared to use them?

Your not very good at this are you?

Nope, I said you would give them up straight away like good little boys and girls the minute the government came calling.
Americans don't seem to have a problem using them on each other, and the excuses they come out with are ludicrous.

You're not very good at this are you?

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Nope, I said you would give them up straight away like good little boys and girls the minute the government came calling.
Americans don't seem to have a problem using them on each other, and the excuses they come out with are ludicrous.

So we are willing to kill people, but just not certain people?
I am sorry but that is the dumbest argument I have ever heard.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Your source article says your wrong. It also says the article's author is completely inept at translating stats from national databases, as are you. The agenda is what is behind the argument, and the agenda will always lose when facts are revealed.

Nope, the source article says I'm exactly right.
Small peaks and troughs are of little statistical significance given the fact that over 30,000 people die each year.

If you're OK with that, fine.
Not being a sociopath, I find it abhorrent.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

So we are willing to kill people, but just not certain people?
I am sorry but that is the dumbest argument I have ever heard.

Nope, you're willing to shout and yell a lot about "rights" and "Gov'ment takin away my rights" but if push came to shove and they turned up on your doorstep to take them away, all the big talk would vanish.

link   
I live in Anderson Northern Ca, which is #5 on the FBI highest crime area in Ca. Im a grandma, and I keep a gun in my dresser, and I have a hidden clip close enough to grab if I need to defend myself or my family.

Ive had helicopters looking for bad guys, and my neighbor has called 2 times to tell me to stay inside, because they can see them in my yard hiding.

Im not willing to live in fear or to be a victim. So, although I dont think about my weapon often, Im prepared if I need to protect myself. Im glad you live in such a safe area, but I dont. And yes, I know how to use. Dont F%$ with this granny.

link   
a reply to: blupblup

Translation -

You're unable to entertain any viewpoint but your own
You're apparently an underachiever at reading comprehension

Ciao

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Small peaks and troughs are of little statistical significance given the fact that over 30,000 people die each year.

Well 30,000 unless you are The CDC....
or the FBI
www.fbi.gov...

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Nope, you're willing to shout and yell a lot about "rights" and "Gov'ment takin away my rights" but if push came to shove and they turned up on your doorstep to take them away, all the big talk would vanish.

So do you have a statistic to back that up? LOL

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join