It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I know that research suggests plants feel pain. That doesn't mean we should starve to death of course, and still there's a massive difference between making a plant suffer briefly for our own survival and keeping billions of animals in piss poor conditions, some of which can rightfully be called torturous.

As for vegetarianism, I don't force anything on anyone. In real life I only mention when it becomes relevant and I sometimes discuss this subject with people who agree or disagree with me, for that matter. However, I never judge people for eating meat nor do I tell them when they didn't ask for it that they're bad people or doing something immoral or whatever. I'm not the harassy type of person. Besides, I honestly don't think it's up to me to judge people as being immoral when it's about something as mainstream like consuming meat. I can however say that I personally disagree with how things are done in the current system and that I personally hope more people would stop eating meat without me forcing anything.

I'm not very angry by the way, but what's the faux aspect?
edit on 30-1-2015 by Pitou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

But honestly, what is it supposed to trigger? I sincerely don't get it. Am I now to feel insulted, is it a display of contempt? Is it merely a joke?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Outside of being gluttonous, which god said it is immoral to eat meats, rather than vegetables?

See also: Romans 14:1-12

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Pitou

What is it with vegetarians rubbing their lifestyle choices in meat eater's life? The OP started the thread telling all us meat eaters that we were immoral. So drop your faux rage and direct it at the person who started the whole thing.

Again, plants feel pain.

They want to control others. Plain and simple. I don't mind Vegans that do their thing and keep quiet about it. But when they start passing judgement on me from their "I'm superior than you" pulpit, I take offense.

They're ignorant idiots and I can only put up with stupid for so long. The militant vegans are usually attached to other idiotic issues as well, so as far as I am concerned, they're fair game. (Pun intended)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Your post makes me believe that you're from the city. You do realize that many of us do know where our meat comes from and how it was raised, whether domestic or wild.

I know exactly what venison I harvested, what fish I caught, what pig I helped butcher. Any hamburger, sausage that I have comes from one animal, not multiple.

I don't like factory farms at all. But there is a profit in them and the majority of humans do crave their crap burgers. That's what keeps those factory farms going.

Check out the prices of free-range, grass fed beef compared to the other stuff. It's freaking expensive, but there is also a significant difference in taste as well.

Free range livestock is usually put down more humanely as well than they are at factory farms.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Are we not all "one" on this planet?

Isn't the cow and chicken, etc, part of us and all from the same origin?

Eating meat is like eating a little bit of ourselves, that will grow again, to be eaten again.
It's no big deal.
This time around you are the human and you get to eat the chicken.

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Do we have the right to inflict suffering on creatures we consider ourselves more advanced than, then slaughter and eat them when there is no need to?

I hear you, but if you look at the cycle of life animals got a bad rap from the universal laws.

Human can mistreat them but the animal kingdom does a pretty good job itself. In the animal kingdom they typically get eaten alive, parents eat their young, abandoned, etc.

Not justifying it and would love to diminish pain and suffering at all levels for all living things, but apparently that was not part of the master plan for lifeforms in this planet?

But yeah , hopefully in the future we don't have to slaughter animals, but what do we do with the animal kingdom? Do we alter animals DNA to prevent the cycle of life?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I really think you should never trick anyone into eating anything ever.

You mentioned veggies, you do realize that they were part of a live plant at once right? I get that things with faces seem more alive but a life is a life any way you look at it.

If I do not eat beef on a regular basis (two nights a week) I get sick, weak and my anemia comes back. I take iron supplements on a regular basis but only beef actually makes me feel well, good. I looked into it and apparently beef affects people differently depending on their blood types, mine just happens to need it.

I like cows and have actually pondered over what you ask in your op before. Then I realize that I would still need to eat vegetables, fruits, etc... and they lived once too. I decided to be thankful for my food instead, all of it and not just the ones that had a recognizable face.

But to answer your question. If per-chance they had a 3-d computer that could make the things our/my bodies need as in exact nutrients without any possibility of harm to our/my bodies than after a couple years of observation on others who eat this way I might try it out.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ya know what's weird? I feel bad for the plants in my garden as winter grows near and they shrivel up and die, but I'm all giddy when cleaning a Dear, Duck, Goose, Rabbit, Fish, etc...

Guess I'm an immoral meanie head.

Bacon wrapped shrimp on the smoker tonight, who's in?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well you were getting offended at the poster posting meat in this thread, I am just saying that turn around is fair game. The OP came in here denouncing us meat eaters for our decision to eat meat.

I know that research suggests plants feel pain. That doesn't mean we should starve to death of course, and still there's a massive difference between making a plant suffer briefly for our own survival and keeping billions of animals in piss poor conditions, some of which can rightfully be called torturous.

Evolve or die. That is the law of the universe.
edit on 30-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Do we have the right to inflict suffering on creatures we consider ourselves more advanced than, then slaughter and eat them when there is no need to?

So you're saying that if what you're eating knows it is being attacked that you're inflicting suffering on it? And it's immoral to eat it?

Plants can tell when they are being eaten.

Turns out, the thale cress actually produces some mustard oils and sends them through the leaves to deter predators (the oils are mildly toxic when ingested). And the study showed that when the plants felt or heard the caterpillar-munching vibrations, they sent out extra mustard oils into the leaves. When they felt or heard other vibrations? Nothing. It’s a far more dynamic defense than scientists had realized: the plant is more aware of its surroundings and able to respond than expected.

Plants communicate with the help of fungi

Plants can warn each other of insect attacks by communicating via the symbiotic fungi wrapped around their root systems, according to a study out this week (May 9) in Ecology Letters.

When aphids attack, bean plants (Vicia faba) release chemicals that repel the herbivorous insects and attract parasitoids that hunt the aphids. British researchers have now demonstrated that the same chemical responses are induced in bean plants that are not under direct aphid attack, but only if they connected to aphid-infested bean plants by a network of thread-like mycorrhizal mycelia—symbiotic fungal structures known to help gather more nutrients for the plants.

My question now is. Is it immoral to eat plants?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Do you happen to also do Crossfit?

Why do vegetarians and vegans feel compiled to make statements like yours?

I eat meat. It is delicious. I eat veggies and fruit. They are delicious as well.

There is no morality issues with me doing so.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
And who cries for the deer who was eaten by the alligator? Nobody. Who cries for the gazelle that was eaten by the tiger?
If you wish to eat nothing but vegetables, super. Good on you. But if you want to try to force the tiger to switch his diet, do so behind a cage or something. Otherwise, he may offer you a lesson in the circle of life.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Ok I have been a healthy vegitarian my entire life and am still healthy at the age of 40, older folks in my family have been vegitarians for over 60 years and they are still healthy as ever.

No I am not on suppliments nor have I ever been.
Im not short im 6'1", nor am I skinny at all, if I dont diet and excercise I gain weight just like anyone else.

On to the point of the thread we dont need to eat meat to live a healthy life I am living proof of that.

There are various substitutes to eating meat would any of those stop you from eating meat?

What if they could make it taste the same or even 3d print meat for you would you eat it over the real thing then?

There are plenty of veggie meats that have fooled people into thinking they are real meat, would you eat these over real meat? I have tricked a few friends with vegi meat on multiple occasions just to see thier reactions.

I am guessing that most would still want real meat reguardless of how advanced fake meat is or how real it tastes because its not the real thing.

Is it moral to eat animals when you dont need to?

Do you even care at all about the possible immorality of eating animals when you dont need to as there are alternatives that can fool anyone?

So what say you ATS will you always eat meat reguardless of how good the alternatives are? If so why or why not?

First off, I am a weekday vegetarian, working on leaving the carnivorous crowd forever, but it's difficult to do so...as I love the taste of meat. Secondly, who am I to dictate what others do or say? I don't have a right to tell someone that eating meat is "wrong."

We all have a set of beliefs I don't think it's right to try to impose upon anyone my particular set of beliefs, as I don't think it's right that they try to impose upon me their set of beliefs.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Bacon wrapped shrimp on the smoker tonight, who's in?

Be there around sixish?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I think a vegan/vegetarian would have a heart attack if they saw what i ate on a day when i was on my ketogenic diet.

It's amazing the looks you get when you get a giant burger at some fast food joint and toss the bun.

I'm glad i'm scary looking, people don't bother me about it

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

We will now be known as the Masonic meat eating meanie heads.

Great name for a rock band BTW...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
Am I now to feel insulted, is it a display of contempt? Is it merely a joke?

You are free to feel anyway you wish. I feel hungry:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Be there around sixish?

I will bring the smokes and wine.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
a reply to: Krazysh0t

As for vegetarianism, I don't force anything on anyone. In real life I only mention when it becomes relevant and I sometimes discuss this subject with people who agree or disagree with me, for that matter. However, I never judge people for eating meat nor do I tell them when they didn't ask for it that they're bad people or doing something immoral or whatever. I'm not the harassy type of person. Besides, I honestly don't think it's up to me to judge people as being immoral when it's about something as mainstream like consuming meat. I can however say that I personally disagree with how things are done in the current system and that I personally hope more people would stop eating meat without me forcing anything.

I'm not very angry by the way, but what's the faux aspect?

So what your really saying is that its the conditions that meat is produced that is wrong nowadays? not the actual consumption of it?

you keep saying you have the right to kill living vegetables to keep yourself alive.. why distinguish between the forms of life? who made you the go to guy to what life is ok to kill and what is not?

on a side note i can't help thinking that if people enjoyed polar bears and tigers for breakfast their would be a hell of a lot more of them around .. see how life works?

Q

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join