It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Bedlam
and guineas

quick question, what are guineas good for? Other than making noise when someone shows up?

Well, they're good for LOTS of things.

One, you will have a hard time sneaking up on the house.

Two, it's entertaining when the hatch imprints on Mom and follows her around like little ducklings for a month. And then as adults they can spot her car and line up on the sidewalk so they can celebrate her return. They won't generally let you pet them, but they are very enthusiastic about the status quo being restored.

Three, they do a great job of keeping the bugs down in the yard and the truck garden. Also in the grapes. You generally won't have a problem with ticks, flies, ants, cutworms, snakes etc around the house with enough guineas.

Four, they're a sort of sacrifice to the Owl and Hawk God to leave your chickens alone. For some reason, they tend to pick off the guineas first.

Five, you can eat 'em. It's like quail or pheasant. If you've got enough after Hootie, the Owl Deity is done.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Bedlam, you're lifestyle sounds so awesome! Where do you live & do you have room for an extra farmhand?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

I just think about the alternatives that are there and wonder if people consider them when they make thier choices in life.

Oh, when the truck garden was putting out we didn't eat meat daily.

OTOH, a nice eggplant parmesan with your own fresh veggies is pretty nice. I've no issue with veggie night, we just didn't try to cover it up to be like a hamburger.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I will not offer my opinion on what this looks like to me. I believe it would be against the T&C.

Is that some kind of litter box?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As an aside, there have been numerous studies done on plants and their "neurological" (for lack of a better word) activity. It's been shown that plants respond to outside stimuli such as the sound of a bug munching on a leaf (which triggers it to release defensive chemicals), they have memories and can remember things for months, can "feel" when something is obstructing their roots, plants actually DO sleep, and can even be put under by anesthetics in the same way animals can. There's even some research going on which may show that plants feel a sensation analogous to pain.

Here's an interesting article on the subject.

So yeah... Think twice you "meat is murder" vegans before munching that carrot, your victim may be screaming in silent pain and you so callously eat it while it's still alive. How inhumane!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
...plants actually DO sleep, and can even be put under by anesthetics...

No worries, when I am braising the lamb shanks from a few pages back I always use red wine so the veggies in the mirepoix are sufficiently inebriated prior to their insertion into a 325* oven for 4 hours and feel no pain.

edit on 30-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer because his mug got filled with chemtrail residue

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Thanks for that. I have friends who have them, and claimed they weren't to eat, so I had that nagging question, but not nagging enough to use the google.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I will not offer my opinion on what this looks like to me. I believe it would be against the T&C.

Is that some kind of litter box?
You know, the picture on the box is supposed to be the most "appetizing" depiction of the product inside. If that is as appetizing as they could make that... crap... look, I shudder to think what the actual product looks like.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I've never been healthy eating anything but a diet that includes meat. And I've done the alternatives. So, what you're experiencing is something only a certain percentage experience.

Also, many people simply cannot afford the healthy vegan diet. Im really not interested in the so called morality of the elites, or those well off. They're far from moral. Grass roots people are the real people of this planet, and they can't even play games with vegan diets.

I'm not waiting vegan world, what I'm waiting for is clean advanced progressed science. And not for it be developed, but simply for something they could have done decades ago, to be released.

There is no reason whatsoever with their advanced cloning, to not grow precisely what is needed, without growing a brain or consciousness.

Our current world is very backwards indeed, but not planning on becoming vegan.

edit on 30-1-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...plants actually DO sleep, and can even be put under by anesthetics...

No worries, when I am braising the lamb shanks from a few pages back I always use red wine so the veggies in the mirepoix are sufficiently inebriated prior to their insertion into a 325* oven for 4 hours and feel no pain.

I get fruits excessively inebriated before taking advantage of them.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I read some of your OP. But even the title told me all I needed to know. I agree 100% with your premise and I stand guilty as one continuing to eat meat ( convenience/habits ) knowing it is true. If I were asked to design or help design an Ideal infrastructure for society it would definitely be vegetarian based diet. For MANY logical reasons. I would opt to have eggs and dairy at this point though.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord Its called the food chain. We do as other animals do. Applying morality to the subject is ridiculous. I like meat. The fact that it comes from a living creature makes no difference to me, and it shouldn't to anyone. Its completely natural, get over it. A lion wouldn't hesitate to rip you apart and have you for supper.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

Eggs?

WHY DONT YOU JUST GO DOWN TO YOUR LOCAL PLANNED PARENTHOOD & PICK UP SOME FETUS FOR DINNER.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Im not sure about eating meat being immoral..the wholesale meat industry might tread in that territory..I guess it depends on where you get your meat. We are designed with teeth whose function is to cut/chew meat. I think though if alot of us visited a slaughterhouse we might rethink it. I would agree we eat more meat than we need to..debatable to some if we need it at all.
I think if I actually had someone to prepare food for me I could give it a shot but left to my own devices..I dunno..lol
I applaud the op in his choices. Perhaps it is a morality issue on a personal level..I can feel that but I believe we are equiped by nature to eat meat.
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
To look at the golden rule of do onto others as you want done to yourself from another more ET perspective we are going to the realms of aliens.

To serve man was a good Twilight zone show about aliens eating people under the guise of friendship, they gave humans a book called to serve man.
Which happened to be a cook book of how to cook and eat humans.
Do you think thats an immoral scenario? If so why?

So to up the intellectual anty a bit I thought I would ask folks how moral they would think it would be for a more advanced form of life decided to eat us and farm us just like we do animals.

For example if we were just kept in continual body containers which were grown and phased in and out while we were sleeping we would be none the wiser, with our old memories uploaded into us after they were recorded during our sleep. Our old body and memories souls and all up being served as a various dishes for alien foods. These hypothetical aliens wouldnt need humans to survive but did it as a cultural thing, like a pastime they are addicted to.

Would that be immoral if so why?

How about a violent alien invasion of mass slaughter just for the taste of human flesh like in the movie, "War Of The Worlds" they were eating people and spraying out the remnants all over the cities leaving a red residue everywhere. Note these hypothetical aliens didnt need to do this in this scenario, but for the sake of discussion lets say they were doing it for the taste.

Would you consider that to be an immoral thing to do as an action of an intelligent race of beings?

If yes you consider it immoral for aliens to kill humans in various alien scenarios.

How would you compare these scenarios morally with humans killing animals in our real world today.
edit on 30-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Northeast Georgia. We've lived here for generations. Mom's still here, she fell and broke her hip before Thanksgiving and I took some weeks off to get her out of therapy and back home safely. So I'm doing the family farm thing again.

I've got a nice patch of land in Florida I will be retiring to, it's a work in progress at the moment.

I like having my own food and water. We're kicking around designing the house to have Clivus Multrums for waste and having the septic tank only deal with gray water.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

There is nothing "immoral" about eating meat:

"Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times, some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons.
"Speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with hot iron.
"Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the Truth." 1 Timothy 4:1-3

Meat is the most compact protein there is, and especially for manual labor, eating meat is the energy that drives people's bodies. And as the above passage shows, "deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons" are the people preaching abstinence from eating meat and crop animals - which were provided by God and to be "received with thanksgiving."

If you are a vegetarian, fine. Highly spiritual people can change their bodies, and no longer desire meat at some point. Fine. I personally get most of my protein from cheese and dairy products. But I love to eat meat with breakfast, to help fuel me up for the day.

So there is NOTHING immoral about eating meat. Whether hunted or farmed, it is a Gift from God.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

If they put some love into the preparation (like I do) and served me to friends I would not have that big of a problem with it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I shudder to think what the actual product looks like.

Cat turds. Or maybe the old corpse finger/fingers of death MRE. Probably tastes like it too.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
To serve manwas a good Twilight zone show about aliens eating people under the guise of friendship, they gave humans a book called to serve man.
Which happened to be a cook book of how to cook and eat humans.
Do you think thats an immoral scenario? If so why?

So to up the intellectual anty a bit I thought I would ask folks how moral they would think it would be for a more advanced form of life decided to eat us and farm us just like we do animals.

For example if we were just kept in continual body containers which were grown and phased in and out while we were sleeping we would be none the wiser, with our old memories uploaded into us after they were recorded during our sleep. Our old body and memories souls and all up being served as a various dishes for alien foods. These hypothetical aliens wouldnt need humans to survive but did it as a cultural thing, like a pastime they are addicted to.

Would that be immoral if so why?

How about a violent alien invasion of mass slaughter just for the taste of human flesh like in the movie, "War Of The Worlds" they were eating people and spraying out the remnants all over the cities leaving a red residue everywhere. Note these hypothetical aliens didnt need to do this in this scenario, but for the sake of discussion lets say they were doing it for the taste.

Would you consider that to be an immoral thing to do as an action of an intelligent race of beings?

If yes you consider it immoral for aliens to kill humans in various alien scenarios.

How would you compare these scenarios morally with humans killing animals in our real world today.

These silly questions that you are asking is proof that you vegie heads need to eat meat.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join