It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
When it comes to animals it would seem as though many just dont care.

Well, no, I just understand that (in my yoot, on the farm) the critters that weren't pets were being cared for in order to convert them into tasty food for my family. So I cared for the chickens, and guineas, and quail, and the goats, and the cows, and except for the few that were not ever going to the butcher due to protected pet status, I cared for them differently than you would a pet. It doesn't mean I hated them, or mistreated them. No, no I can say I loved them, with some salt and pepper, a bit of breading, a little marinade.

Tonight, I'm probably going to pop open that Zatarain's, and make some Jambalaya out of some deer that I lovingly let eat the grass and acorns out back, and caringly put out salt and minerals for them during the year, that they might grow fat and healthy, and earlier this fall I went out with the Rifle of Mercy and Kindness and in the twinkling of an eye they were raptured from this earthly coil into the freezer as Andouille, some Boudain and some diced tenderloins.

Now they will be carefully and lovingly cooked with the proper spices and a few vegetables and turned into a very nice pot of jambalaya that I will caringly consume. With much relish and licking of lips, I might add.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

For me, that's a once or twice a month treat. Please, if you have any decency, don't tell me about how plentiful it is where you are. I beg you.

Where do you live that doesn't have a sushi restaurant every other corner?

On Topic:

Why is it ok to eat cows & chickens but not giraffes / dogs / elephants / cats etc? I go out of my way to eat exotic animals.

Personally, I think humans shouldn't actively murder & consume animals, but we do so what can you even hope to do about it? Add it to the list of "Why humans shouldn't exist" & wait for the sweet release of death, imo.

I think everyone except OP knew exactly how this thread was gonna go. LordForm can be a little sensitive at times, but that's one thing that I find so endearing about him/her!
edit on 30-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

For me, that's a once or twice a month treat. Please, if you have any decency, don't tell me about how plentiful it is where you are. I beg you.

Where do you live that doesn't have a sushi restaurant every other corner?

On Topic:

Why is it ok to eat cows & chickens but not giraffes / dogs / elephants / cats etc? I go out of my way to eat exotic animals.

Personally, I think humans shouldn't actively murder & consume animals, but we do so what can you even hope to do about it? Add it to the list of "Why humans shouldn't exist" & wait for the sweet release of death, imo.
Oh I live in Tokyo. You can't sneeze without hitting a sushi joint. I just prefer to have it sparingly. If I ate it too much, it wouldn't be a treat anymore!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The way we keep the animals we kill may be immoral sometimes but eating them is not and never will be. The truth is it takes a large amount of farmland to feed everybody but one animal can feed dozens for days. There is not anywhere near enough crop land to feed us all. The synthesized proteins used in fake meats cannot be made anywhere near efficiently enough to replace all the meat we need to survive as a race. Also, the meat alternatives all taste like crap. Without meat most of us will starve to death. Letting humanity die by the millions due to starvation is immoral. And you never answered an earlier poster that asked you if you consider the billions of bugs we kill for that farmland to not be just as worthy of life as the animals.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Maybe the best way is to kill yourself and then you will never have to harm anything (not even kill a plant), lol.

well using Itisnowagains vernacular, there is no death; there is no killing of the plant as we are all one

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I was actually asking NetworkDude, we know where you live Railbabe!

You're always around right when I'm waking up, lol.

Aren't you worried about Fukushima? I mean, it wouldn't stop me from eating sushi, but you're pretty close to the source.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I will not offer my opinion on what this looks like to me. I believe it would be against the T&C.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
When it comes to healthy vegans you may be the exception. Most of the vegans I know are weak and unhealthy. Granted some became vegans because they were already unhealthy and were attempting to change their lifestyle. There are some exceptional athletes who are vegans but they are far and few between.

My opinion for what it is worth is that there is absolutely nothing immoral about eating meat. In fact it is my god given right to do so. It is insulting for those in the vegan community to label us omnivorous as somehow inferior to herbivorous. It simple a matter of choice. Choose vegan if you want....more bacon for me!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: lysacid
The way we keep the animals we kill may be immoral sometimes but eating them is not and never will be. The truth is it takes a large amount of farmland to feed everybody but one animal can feed dozens for days. There is not anywhere near enough crop land to feed us all. The synthesized proteins used in fake meats cannot be made anywhere near efficiently enough to replace all the meat we need to survive as a race. Also, the meat alternatives all taste like crap. Without meat most of us will starve to death. Letting humanity die by the millions due to starvation is immoral. And you never answered an earlier poster that asked you if you consider the billions of bugs we kill for that farmland to not be just as worthy of life as the animals.
Being raised a farm girl, I can tell you without bias that raising a single cow costs more in grain or pasture costs more than cultivating the same amount of land for vegetables. The total caloric value of a cow, versus the total caloric value of the same amount of cultivated land that the cow would use, is greatly unequal. If every cow's agricultural footprint was replacement with farmland, the world would never go hungry again. There's a reason beef is considerably more expensive per pound than vegetables, and that is the cost of feeding and raising a single cow.

That being said. Meat is yummy so cows get eaten!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Dunn, NC. One local restaurant that offers "sushi". Others are at least 20 minute drive. Not the end of the world, but SR probably cannot swing a dead cat without hitting a real sushi restaurant. Jealous? perhaps.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Meat is good for brain development. But then what about all the fluoride in water and GMOs and artificial flavours preservatives pumped into our food?

I can see from a lot of these threads that fluoride has had its intended effect of dumbing people down.

"Eating Meat Made Us Human, Suggests New Skull Fossil"
www.livescience.com...

Fragments of a 1.5-million-year-old skull from a child recently found in Tanzania suggest early hominids weren't just occasional carnivores but regular meat eaters, researchers say.

The finding helps build the case that meat-eating helped the human lineage evolve large brains, scientists added.

"I know this will sound awful to vegetarians, but meat made us human," said researcher Manuel Domínguez-Rodrigo, an archaeologist at Complutense University in Madrid.

Past research suggested prehuman hominids such as australopithecines may have eaten some meat. However, it is the regular consumption of meat that often is thought to have triggered major changes in the human lineage, the genus Homo, with this high-energy food supporting large human brains.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
and guineas

quick question, what are guineas good for? Other than making noise when someone shows up?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

I was actually asking NetworkDude, we know where you live Railbabe!

You're always around right when I'm waking up, lol.

Aren't you worried about Fukushima? I mean, it wouldn't stop me from eating sushi, but you're pretty close to the source.
Sorry I saw my name in the quote so I mistakenly thought you were talking to me.

I do worry about Fukushima. I don't drink sake from the Fukushima prefecture anymore (even though it's delicious). But if I were to worry about all the things Fukushima could have affected, I wouldn't be drinking the tap water here, or eating fish at all, or any other of the small joys I take out of life. Though, I do tend to frequent sushi places that catch their fish off the west coast rather than the east coast. Or at least the southern east coast.

I'll probably be a glow-in-dark Railgun after a few years, but I choose not to worry about it. Otherwise I'd be a very unhappy Railgun.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Hmm, 1.2 billion cows alive today. Each cow requires more calories per day than all but the most athletic people.

World hunger rampant.

Hmm......

edit: missed decimal point.
edit on 30-1-2015 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2015 by framedragged because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
and guineas

quick question, what are guineas good for? Other than making noise when someone shows up?

Called Cui in Ecuador, & considered a delicacy. (It was delicious & took me 6 days to track down while I was there)

Being served now at your local Petsmart!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Meat is good for brain development. But then what about all the fluoride in water and GMOs and artificial flavours preservatives pumped into our food?

A nice cup of organic Darjeeling and some of the faux meat you've heard bandied about on the thread would provide your daily allowance of fluoride, GMO, artificial flavors and preservatives as well.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: framedragged

Hmm, 12 billion cows alive today. Each cow requires more calories per day than all but the most athletic people.

World hunger rampant.

Hmm......

You got a source for 12 billion cows?

My source says under 2 billion.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sharing is caring

Ah Augustus you're such a tease. I know I'm having steak tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I had a decent post preped but I guess it times out oh well.

I like how this vid goes into the morality question of should we be killing animals for food.

Dont get me wrong its your choices and lives do what you will, however I do enjoy philosophical topics that get people thinking.

I am not pushing my lifestyle choice, to each thier own, do what you feel good with, follow your bliss.

I just think about the alternatives that are there and wonder if people consider them when they make thier choices in life.
edit on 30-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join