It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ok I have been a healthy vegitarian my entire life and am still healthy at the age of 40, older folks in my family have been vegitarians for over 60 years and they are still healthy as ever.

No I am not on suppliments nor have I ever been.
Im not short im 6'1", nor am I skinny at all, if I dont diet and excercise I gain weight just like anyone else.

On to the point of the thread we dont need to eat meat to live a healthy life I am living proof of that.

There are various substitutes to eating meat would any of those stop you from eating meat?

What if they could make it taste the same or even 3d print meat for you would you eat it over the real thing then?

There are plenty of veggie meats that have fooled people into thinking they are real meat, would you eat these over real meat? I have tricked a few friends with vegi meat on multiple occasions just to see thier reactions.

I am guessing that most would still want real meat reguardless of how advanced fake meat is or how real it tastes because its not the real thing.

Is it moral to eat animals when you dont need to?

Do you even care at all about the possible immorality of eating animals when you dont need to as there are alternatives that can fool anyone?

Do we have the right to inflict suffering on creatures we consider ourselves more advanced than, then slaughter and eat them when there is no need to?

So what say you ATS will you always eat meat reguardless of how good the alternatives are? If so why or why not?

edit on 29-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
People will continue to eat meat whether you do or not. Is it immoral? I don't think so, but I do think the way they treat those animals before slaughter is immoral.

Me not eating meat won't really change anything, plus I like meat. At least if I eat it their death won't be totally in vain.

+39 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
What would be the point of living??

No steak? No bacon? No steak with bacon?

I get that it's immoral to destroy a living thing to eat it. But plants are also living things. It's all atom's and molecules, one day you will be eaten by bugs and worms, and composted, and perhaps someone will plants luttuces above you, and your nutrient goodness will fill those leaves with vitamins to power the next vegetarian to shout out loud about how moral they are.

It's a hundreds of thousands worth of evolution to desire meat, the nutrients and taste is just too good. Mind you, saying all that, once they can actually replicate affordable synthetic meat, I would switch over. As long as the animal is killed quickly, it's a heavy tasty cross I'm willing to bear.

edit on 29-1-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Eat anything edible omnivore........just eat sparingly and with reverence for the life you take and the life it gives......

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I personally eat very little meat. I agree in the sense that today, especially, people waste so much food. If you're going to take somethings life, at least respect that animal enough to not throw it away.

That being said, I believe one day well all be eating "synth-food."

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Qumulys
What would be the point of living??

No steak? No bacon? No steak with bacon?

I get that it's immoral to destroy a living thing to eat it. But plants are also living things. It's all atom's and molecules, one day you will be eaten by bugs and worms, and composted, and perhaps someone will plants luttuces above you, and your nutrient goodness will fill those leaves with vitamins to power the next vegetarian to shout out loud about how moral they are.

It's a hundreds of thousands worth of evolution to desire meat, the nutrients and taste is just too good. Mind you, saying all that, once they can actually replicate affordable synthetic meat, I would switch over. As long as the animal is killed quickly, it's a heavy tasty cross I'm willing to bear.

There is some synthetic meat out there now thats affordable as well would you be willing to eat that over animals?

Consider for a moment that there may be no real need to actually eat real animals, so is it moral to still eat them?

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Animals eat animals, i see myself as an animal, some animals would eat me in a heartbeat, "i'll eat them before they eat me".

I eat veggies on the side.

I would eat synthetic meat if there is no other option.

Btw, today i had mashed potato with peas and carrots, no meat, absolutely delicious

edit on 30-1-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

+52 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Who are you to judge eating meat as immoral? One more clown trying to push other people around and FORCE them to their way of thinking.

The answer to your question? I respect where my food comes from and how it was obtained and I don't feel at all bad.
edit on 2015/1/30 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Absolutely! There is such a thing?

Hell, I'd be willing to pay a bit more as long as its equally nutritious. Spending a bit extra cash to save a life? Any day of the week

edit on 1/29/2015 by JBurns because: spell-correct

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Since your handle is FormOfTheLord, I just thought I might mention that killing animals for both food and sacrifice is the the Bible. Now, you don't want to go against the Boss, right? I mean, that would kind of make you the Anti-Boss and that can't be a good thing.

I like meat and I will continue to eat meat as long as the Lord lets me ;-) BTW, you have to eat what you kill (killing is for survival not for pleasure), except in the case of terrorists. You burn those or leave them to feed the hyenas and vultures, and that way you help complete the great circle of life (damn, I am starting to sound like a Disney commercial).

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Your version of "vegie-meat-that-fools" and my tongue would strongly disagree. I've tried many of those alternatives, and thankfully my partner at the time after a month long obsession of making us vegetarians walked past a restaurant sizzling steaks. We got pulled in like bass.

The synthetic meat I alluded to is made from real lab grown fibres. Last I heard sometime last year they had make enough for one mouthful. Obviously they have a way to go, but if it 'grows up' as tasty like it's mobile-meadow-version then I'll be all for that. Mind you, if that happens all those extra cows will need thinning...

I'm having fun, I like what another poster above said by the word "reverence". Meat is so damn expensive it is not only a time to be thankful when I can afford a steak, but we make sure every last bit of it is eaten and thankfully so.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I dont personally find it immoral, so i wouldnt stop. I would consider the alternative if say it would last for longer when travelling (Camping/Hiking) and wouldnt be opposed to eating it.

What I do find amusing is that you know when we all stop eating meat, pigs, cows and chickens would all be slaughtered as there is no need for them and only a few will exist in Zoo's.

How immoral is that?
edit on 30 1 2015 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I eat everything. I really don't care. I'd probably eat you if there was absolutely no food and the only other option was starving to death. All kidding aside; though, I notice nobody ever gives consideration to the plants. They're living things. Is it immoral to kill them for food?

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Just another opinion in the "My way is the right way' litany.

Sad really. Taking the moralistic high ground while killing thousands and thousands of plants to fill your belly.

Is it not better to kill one animal instead of multitudes of poor defenseless plants.

Plants are people too you know.

Now, pass the bacon please and I will have my steak medium rare.

P

edit on 30/1/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Good point, though we would still need the maneuver animals produce for all the plants we are going to eat....

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

You speak with a forked tongue. Dont mention the plants, the vegetarians with their self richeousness because they dont kill animals will not stand it if you ever call them plant killers.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Ok I have been a healthy vegitarian my entire life and am still healthy at the age of 40, older folks in my family have been vegitarians for over 60 years and they are still healthy as ever.

No I am not on suppliments nor have I ever been.
Im not short im 6'1", nor am I skinny at all, if I dont diet and excercise I gain weight just like anyone else.

That's cool.. Are you not weirded out eating plants though? They die too.. We are all Vampires.. We need to kill to live.
I choose not to think about these things so much anymore.
My only concern would be giving animals a better life before they die, but everyone dies. That's the game of life.

you said you gain weight like ANYONE else. haha. Not with my metabolism. If I don't eat ALL the time I lose weight. I can barely keep 170 up at 6'1" myself..

I havn't been eating meat lately because I'm not in my own house, and I'm lucky to have food so I don't complain. But I've noticed it makes me dumb or something. I can't think as well. Finally there was some pork sausage.. OMG.. I could feel the fat flowing through me.. MMMMMM So good. I am back to normal now..

I'm a blood dripping animal eating savage.

But vegetarians are fine.
Not my cup of tea.

You see the morality of living, if you understood it, you would have to not live. Destruction and Creation are tied together in the circle of life.
It's all the same # from billions of years ago. You are just one more recycle plant in the cycle of the universe. Stars Died so we can talk.. Life can only exist in death. It's all there is.

edit on 30-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I take offense to this being an avid plant enthusiast. I feel a strong connection with all plants and they give everything so we can eat. Sure, show some respect for the animals we mis-treat.
BUT

Do not forget the sacrifice the plants are making for you. Killing them is just as immoral as killing animals except that -- that's how life on this earth works . We have to consume.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
A reply to: Qumulys

Very good point
I feel that people have the right to eat what they want. I personally will check into this synthetic meat, and if there's anything to it, consider me switched! That being said, those who want to enjoy their steak will continue to do so, regardless if my choice. And I believe its only a morality issue when they waste a good portion of the meat.

For instance, at Thanksgiving, when half of a turkey goes to waste. To me, that's a waste of life. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with it.

All about personal choices. And that's just my opinion, anyhow.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

Agreed. The sacrifice plants make is,just as important.

I, too, have an appreciation for plants! I think that acknowledging the value and importance of anything that helps us survive is paramount.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join