It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Greetings to Vega(n).

I tend to eat meat only rarely, due to my personal metabolism. I've tried straight veggie and vegan diets, but eventually my brain goes AWOL and I have to grab some beef jerky before I tear the throat out of a living being.

I try to be humane as possible when it comes to my nutritional consumption - and in my culture, we honor the animal that gave of itself that we might live by using all aspects of it's being from food to clothing.

We certainly don't throw anything away wastefully if that's what you think.

I do agree that more farmland would be preferable to inhumane stock-yards if it's any consolation.

link   

originally posted by: JBurns
A reply to: Qumulys

For instance, at Thanksgiving, when half of a turkey goes to waste. To me, that's a waste of life. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with it.

All about personal choices. And that's just my opinion, anyhow.

where are you guys from that you see meat getting thrown away??
Maybe it's just me growing up with 4 siblings, but the turkey turns into turkey sandwiches, IF.. IF there is any left.

All food goes to waste, but the kicker is that if you don't eat a fruit or a vegetable or an animal something else will..

I do see a point that people should understand where their meat comes from. If you can't see yourself killing an animal like a cow, maybe you shouldn't eat hamburgers, because really you're just hiring a hitman to do it for you and wrap it in plastic away from the blood and skin and all that.

Wolves don't have these conundrums about eating. They just kill, and eat, as all of nature does.

But I have to tell you from my own personal experience. My brain works like hell if I don't eat meat. I am Half German.. Meat and Beer.. MMMM...

edit on 30-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

link   
Seems not many are interested in a civil discussion on morality, lots of name calling going on.

Just think of this question is it moral to eat animals if you dont need to?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
a reply to: Forensick

Good point, though we would still need the maneuver animals produce for all the plants we are going to eat....

OK, so in order to grow the veg we need cow dung. Now I would imagine that Cow dung is cheaper than meat, so the cow dung farmers will need to cut costs, so they will keep the cows alive in very small pens, like battery chickens, we will have battery cows and pigs and keep them alive just to keep the vegetarians happy.

Nice one veggies!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord
I think a lot of the problem is:

A) Lack of availability or not knowing where to buy it, or pain to find it.

B) Lack of knowledge on how to prepare the dishes.

---

Let me explain:

I remember once I was in Colorado and I bought a Tempeh veggie burrito from a food truck. Wow! I think it was one of the best burritos I ever ate. There was these crunchy meaty thing in there. I asked them what it was and they told me it was tempeh. Years later I go to buy some tempeh and prepare it at home. First tried grilling .. ugh.. disgusting. Then tried frying.. uuugh.. gross.

I also once went to a vegetarian restaurant and they had veggie chicken and it was great. I bought some veggie chicken at a health food store, went home and made it and it was gross. Also it was crazy expensive.

So honestly, if I could easily buy these things, and know how to prepare them, I could easily get rid of meat which I don't eat too much of.

Also if I don't eat meat in a really long time, I feel something is lacking. I definitely feel it in my body and is not my imagination.
edit on 30-1-2015 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Is it moral to eat animals when you dont need to?

Won't someone think of the poor defenceless vegetables....

Why would you eat vegetables when meat is available? That is very immoral.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Any diet can work if you put thought into it. Being a vegetarian doesn't automatically make you either super healthy of barley getting by health wise. But a lot of people who say they are vegetarian eat very unhealthy, a friend of mine tried to be one and when I asked them where they get their complete proteins from they simply just listed off incomplete proteins like beans and hummus.

Anyways, as for the animal thing, I rarely eat meat, when I do it's a big thing, and I enjoy it, I go down to the butcher and choose a nice cut of meat or part of the animal that I can experiment with, pig feet are actually really good!

Other than that I eat a lot of vegetables, cheese, tons of rice and beans, etc. I am a weekend meat eater I guess, and I work a pretty physical job as well. I eat tons of food.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

I know lol. In the end it really doesn't matter. After we're dead and rotting insects, plants, and animals will eat us. So what? Oh, and the animals will eat the plants that eat us.

I wonder if it's immoral for wolves or lions to eat meat.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
Seems not many are interested in a civil discussion on morality, lots of name calling going on.

Just think of this question is it moral to eat animals if you dont need to?

The answer is yes it is OK to eat meat.

Lots and lots of people have said this.

You just don't like the answer and that is your problem.

YES. It is OK to eat meat.

P

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Some things people should look out for in a veg diet is eating too much grains and legumes with phytic acid. Phytic acid can inhibit mineral uptake and weaken bones for example.

I read about a guy, a vegetarian who believed that green leafy vegetables were not really supposed to be eaten because they were bitter and he thought that god meant for everyone to eat only fruit because it tasted sweet and good. Anyway he went on an almost all fruit diet, I think for many years. Eventually he lost most of his teeth. (True story.)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
What is up with all the name calling and personal attacks on people here?

This is ATS, and we're ATSers!

Being an ATSer means you're able to disagree with someone's point of view without insults and pejoratives. Its being able to attack an idea, not the person behind it. Its about holding ourselves to a higher standard, because we are ATS members!

I don't always agree with people on here, but name calling and insults is not conducive to open, intelligent discussion. Right?

Lets all be nice to each other, and try to embody the traits of an ATSer!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Now keep in mind I am not calling anyone immoral, but I am simply asking the question of if eating meat is immoral when you dont need to. Meaning is it right/moral or wrong/immoral.

Its up to you to decide if its immoral to you, or if you feel moral and justified in the eating and slaughter of innocent animals who are at our mercy.

An example of normative ethical philosophy is the Golden Rule which states that, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."

Lets look at a classic defination of morality from wikipedia for the sake of an intelligent discussion and not stoop to ignorant name calling which is against T&C of ATS:

Morality is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are good or right and those that are bad, evil or wrong. Morality can be a body of standards or principles derived from a code of conduct from a particular philosophy, religion, or culture, or it can derive from a standard that a person believes should be universal. Morality may also be specifically synonymous with "goodness" or "rightness."

Moral philosophy includes moral ontology, or the origin of morals, as well as moral epistemology, or what is known about morals. Different systems of expressing morality have been proposed, including deontological ethical systems which adhere to a set of established rules, and normative ethical systems which consider the merits of actions themselves. An example of normative ethical philosophy is the Golden Rule which states that, "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself."

Immorality is the active opposition to morality, while amorality is variously defined as an unawareness of, indifference toward, or disbelief in any set of moral standards or principles.

edit on 30-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I found a bit on the synthetics you talked about, looks promising! Thanks for turning me on to thus
its definitely worth checking out.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Just out of curiosity.. I wonder what vegetarians feed their dogs? Do they enforce their no-meat rule on the dog? Is that moral? How about feeding your dog meat to make him happy so he gives you cuddles and snuggles when you get home from work? Is that moral?

Who knows, it's the circle of life. Look at teeth, an animals diet is largely based evolution and the teeth that have evolved to suit. Our's highly developed to eat meats and almost anything else.

You're basically asking the Rockbiter if he wouldn't mind switching to grass!

He reminds me of the saying "You are what you eat". "I only eat vegies so I'm super healthy". Yes, but you're also made of meat too

edit on 30-1-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

This does not mean we should lose consideration for the suffering of other beings.

I think having consideration for the suffering of other beings reflects upon a cultures development.

It is hypocritical when people do not want to be considerate toward other beings, but then will be angered when others are not considerate toward them.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
But but
mmmm bacon

I thought about it but then thought of bacon. The smell of bacon. The taste of bacon. Bacon n eggs, bacon burgers, blt's, bacon sundaes. Bacon cooked just for bacon's sake to eat just bacon. So ya, I thought about it but it quickly went away.

If we weren't meant to eat it, it wouldn't taste so damn good.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Only a couple of notes...

Depending on your blood type and a few other variables; some people's bodies process and absorb meat better than others. Some people's bodies won't process adequate protein unless it is from meat.

For myself - regardless of my genetic predisposition toward meat; I do quite enjoy it, and it's been going on for thousands of years - I see no reason to stop now.

Vegetarianism is a valid choice for a way of life; but not for everyone. The entirety of humanity will never stop eating meat - I assure you.

Enjoy Tofu :-/

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   

heck no give me real food how appealing does that sound a 3d artificialy created steak lol
sorry no sale just give me good old fashion food .
And for all vegitarians out there who is to say that plants dont feel pain they like or dislike music they
can be perky or droopy i got into planting stuff and green thumbed the past couple years so im just playing devils advocate.
But who is to say that plants dont know when they are getting hurt.
I say eat what you want give thanks and be thankful and move on .
But do i want a 3d printed artifiacial steak heck no lol good thread though

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

This does not mean we should lose consideration for the suffering of other beings.

It is hypocritical when people do not want to be considerate toward other beings, but then will be angered when others are not considerate toward them.

Do you have any idea how many wheat seeds it takes to make a pound of flour.

Seriously, all of those seeds will never have a chance at life, they will never see the sunlight and grow towards the heavens to propagate in their turn......

Sad really.

But you do not wish to consider the plants. You do not seem to care about the plants.

How many insect lives do you wipe out every year.

How large does a being have to be before you want to save it.

Yes it is moral to eat bacon.

P

edit on 30/1/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Can you or anyone recommend a good source of buying veg-meat?

..Or any good brands?

Also how you prepare the stuff?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join