It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I think the OP has an interesting point of view.

Although I am not sure why preferring to eat something over something else would be seen as immoral.

Now one might value animal life more than plants, because we humans are animals. This is where morality might come into play I guess. Logically, if we were closer to plants the OP would advocate eating animals.

But what if there was no plant life at all, or no animals? Would we still have this discussion?

Why do we differentiate between plants and animals?

And what about plant-animal hybrids or symbionts?
en.wikipedia.org...
www.newscientist.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Greetings.

Just a question, do you indulge in a glass of wine every now and then?

Indeed I do, ive had my share of drinks lolz. . . .

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Oh dear..

Frogs, birds, spiders, lizards... in fact anything hanging out in the vines when they get harvested ends up in your wine.

Moral dilemma for you

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Oh dear..

Frogs, birds, spiders, lizards... in fact anything hanging out in the vines when they get harvested ends up in your wine.

Moral dilemma for you

Seriously way to stay off topic, your question is pretty weak it doesnt deserve a serious response.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Damn right I will continue to eat meat. In fact I think I'll eat more meat to make up your share. I LOVE meat and you and your holier than thou attitude can take a hike. Humans are animals, mammals. We eat meat, it is one of our places in the animal kingdom. If you don't want to eat it, fine. Don't tell me how to live though.

Plants are living things too. Believe it or not they can even feel pain. Part of being alive and staying alive is killing and eating another living thing. You just have to deal with it.

PS. I don't care about how they treat those animals.
edit on 30-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Do we have the right to inflict suffering on creatures we consider ourselves more advanced than, then slaughter and eat them when there is no need to?

But killing harmless vegetables for sustenance is okay?

The kill floor in an abattoir is not that much different from picking fruit from a crop-you kill the food, chop it's head of and send it on to processing. In fact picking fruit could be just as immoral because we are killing the offspring; tomatoes, pineapples, apples, etc-that's the plants way of propagating and yet we take the fruit and eat them anyway.

People have to eat-and it so happens that everything that we eat comes from a living being for better or worse. If you don't want to kill an living creature to sustain yourself then eat dairy, you conscience will love you but your arteries won't.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I have been thinking for a while I may choose to be a vegetarian. I don't eat red meat and haven't for several years. I do eat poultry and fish...but not everyday. More and more I am eating meatless meals; I really like lentils; and I make a delicious vegan spit pea soup...but I still do like my Turkey Meatloaf every now and then.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Oh dear..

Moral dilemma for you

Seriously way to stay off topic, your question is pretty weak it doesnt deserve a serious response.

But it is on topic...you just don't like having some one point your ignorance and the denial of the truth. Your response to Chad is just downright sad and pathetic.

But keep on pounding upon that unhealthy lifestyle of yours as long as you can feel good about it. I will have a nice juicy steak tonight and be thinking of ya. The more meat you don't eat, the more there is for the rest of us normal omnivores.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Filet wrapped with bacon and served with foie gras butter:

I felt zero guilt.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   

As I get older and older, I'm more aware what I'm doing when I eat meat, I eat less and less of it. Now I only eat meat I dislike. Chickens are jerks! J/K about the last two sentences. But yea, if I go to the supermarket and actually see a pork shoulder, sometimes I just won't eat it at home. It's odd. maybe too much walking dead.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

My body does not respond well to the vegetarian diet, and because I find most vegetarian dishes of any substance to be unpalatable, I find eating them to be an unpleasant experience as well. My body does however do very well at processing animal products, dairy, meat, the whole bit. If I want my body to produce optimum energy from the fuel I put into it, I have to put i the fuel which works best with my metabolism into it, and that just so happens to be steaming chunks of glistening, juicy dead animal.

Because people like me exist, the morality of eating meat is not in question. I quite literally could not survive on spinach and broccoli, or any other combination of vegetable matter. I do however take seriously the idea, that animals under the stewardship of the meat industry, MUST be well treated before they go to be slaughtered. Just because the end result of the life of a cow, chicken, fish, or any other living thing, may be to be consumed by humans, does not mean that the life they live previous to that end should be anything other than as healthy, free and natural as possible. That IS a morality issue. Eating meat is not. Period.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Life feeds off life in an endless spiral of destruction and creation from the microscopic level to the universe as a whole , stars are created and destroyed feeding off universal material.

Vegtables are alive

And it worries me in your God playing antics trying to preach to us that one form of life is worth less than any other. Hypocrisy!

I assume if an animal drops dead of natural causes in front of you , then you would have no problems at all eating it? right? I base these assumptions on your own viewpoints.

Life feeds on life .. it is the way of things

Q

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
when I was a kid to teen age and heard Bible stories of Sacrifices to God or Gods... I always associated that with being a meat-eater person too

off and on for about half a century of adult life I was either Vegan or just refrained from ingesting Red meats or specifically Pork products for years at a time...

presently I may have poultry or fish maybe 2X a week, no red meat and maybe pork or kielbasa once a month or so...I am driven by an inner craving more than a menu or memory of a delicious meal entrée...
otherwise I am havings vege soups/stews or chop suey veges over rice or salads with oil+vinegar on a steady basis

we (humans) are omnivore's, we don't need steak tartar every day, that would poison our systems...we are designed around our teeth and our physiology to eat a wide variety of foods every fortnight/week at most... eating a select, repeating diet of foods will result in your body functioning erratically and inviting dis-ease
edit on th31142262491730352015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think it's immoral to eat meat the way society does these days. Eating meat as a concept is, at this point, uninteresting and abstract to me because it's hardly related to the real-life world in which we live now. However, considering how meat is produced and what its impact is on the state of animal welfare, landscape, environment, the availability of food and human health I do think it's immoral.

The conditions in which animals are kept are harrowing and they're undeserving of such suffering for the sake of someone's cheap snack. We don't just want to eat meat for its nutrients; people like to snack on it for an as low as possible price. This means more animals are kept a short, miserable life in disgusting conditions, that the animal's wellbeing and care during slaughter go down even more and all that because people want to use their dead bodies as a treat. All that is related to the massive scale on which meat is produced and the fact that it has to be cheap. People don't just want the little piece a week they're required to eat according to some nutritionists; they want a lot more.

When you balance it out, the misery and other impacts versus ''but it tastes good'', the good taste loses for me.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

What is it with meat eaters and them liking to say they're about to eat or bake meat? Is it rudeness? Feeling attacked?

I won't say in a discussion with a muslim about food rules that I'm about to drink a really nice glass of wine. I'd feel childish and rude. Yet I wonder why so many people who eat meat say such things whenever someone discusses their reasons for not eating meat or when they just say they're vegetarian/vegan.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

If God didn't want us eating animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
Being a veg or vegan is a choice, much like being a carnivore. I am proud to be a part of the race that had claimed it's spot at the top of the food chain. So in humble commemoration of my forefathers sacrifices, I salute them, and you with a thick, juicy, ribeye cooked rare, with a side of twice baked potato. (with bacon of course)

Enjoy your salad boss. I won't hate you for it. I'll thank you for ensuring that in the event of a ELE, and you and I were the only one's left, you would be forced to sacrifice yourself to be eaten for the greater good. (try not to exercise too much, I don't want tough meat)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
As for the counter arguments, I think they're somewhat in vain. Yes, plants die for us but it's legitimate as we have a right to keep ourselves alive. Besides, there's a huge massive difference between killing plants and God knows how many sentient beings on an absolutely massive scale in horrible conditions for cheeseburgers and nuggets. Many of such 'facts of life' are hardly usable in real life, because yes, animals die in the wild and animals hunt and kill in the wild, now how does that mean it's okay or moral to keep billions of animals in the way we do today? How do these things even remotely relate in the 'real world'?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
Yet I wonder why so many people who eat meat say such things whenever someone discusses their reasons for not eating meat or when they just say they're vegetarian/vegan.

I believe it's called HUMOR. It's a forgotten art to be sure.

link   
a reply to: Pitou

What is it with vegetarians rubbing their lifestyle choices in meat eater's life? The OP started the thread telling all us meat eaters that we were immoral. So drop your faux rage and direct it at the person who started the whole thing.

Again, plants feel pain.
edit on 30-1-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Pitou
What is it with meat eaters and them liking to say they're about to eat or bake meat? Is it rudeness? Feeling attacked?

Sharing is caring....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join