It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something in the woods is taking people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I just listened to this podcast from Coast-To-Coast. (Last Friday's show).
It reminded me of the David Paulides "Missing 411" stories. The main difference between Paulides and Steph Young is that whereas Pauiides doesn't speculate as to what's causing the disapperances, Young discusses what she calls "a strange and highly unusual predator that is living in the woods and forests all across the world and is able to overpower someone in an instant".

I like Paulides' stuff better, but this is interesting too. Young relates several interesting (and scary) stories in her interview.

From the C2C website:
Young said she was led into the topic after uncovering stories of people disappearing in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania, Mount Kailash in Tibet, and the Markawasi Stone Forest of Peru. She described Markawasi as a dimensional portal and suggested the strange energy visitors have described feeling there is possibly caused by a confluence of ley lines or the piezoelectric properties of granite.

Here's the Coast-To-Coast show info.

Here's the C2C show on YouTube:

In the Coast-To-Coast story, there is a mention of a mantis-type creature.
Linda Moulten Howe did an article about an American soldier stationed in Germany who claimed to have had an encounter with a 3-foot tall mantis or stick-insect type of creature while he was walking in the mountains.

Here's the link to her site, which has a very detailed report of the case. There is an audio interview of the soldier as well as text transcripts. It's bizarre! The soldier said he got a very definite impression that the creature was going to kill him, so he began yelling and screaming, which caused the thing to run away. If this really happened...damn!
It's definitely one of the weirder accounts I've read about.

+62 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There was a documentary about this nearly 30 years ago...

+31 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Get to the choppa!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Interesting thread, it almost reminds me of the mothmen legends (not exactly like mothman of Pt Pleasant). Supposedly they are harbingers, but some variations are allegedly aggressive.

Coast to coast airs decent material, this one looks worth checking into.

JB

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I love Paulides's work and disappearances have always been a bit of an obsession of mine. I'm convinced people disappear due to things we currently claim are "supernatural" as well as various groups of people for several reasons which I won't get into. Mantises I haven't read about but I've heard of encounters with six foot tall cockroaches, one in a grease pit under a fast food restaurant and there was banter a few years ago about "something flitting between trees in the High Sierras" that was seen as giant roaches iirc.

People are taken for various reasons and they are never seen again. Something tells me a lot of "off limits" wilderness areas were designated not only for the preservation of natural resources but also to isolate and perhaps contain things we're told cannot exist. S + F.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

iirc my amateur paleontology correctly giant insects like the cockroaches you describe cant possibly exist today because our atmosphere is less oxygen dense then it was in Paleozoic times when something like that could thrive.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Very intriguing. I'm going to listen to the rest of the vid tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm researching this stuff a bit further. I wonder if this could be the 'cloaked mantis' thingy they're talking about. Looks like bad Photoshoppinmg, but maybe that's from the "cloaking".

Scroll down a bit and you'll see more reports of these "mantis-man" sightings.

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
30 Years ago up the Jarrah forest in South Western Australia a friend and I were walking back to our cars on a steep inclined road, off to my left I heard something walking and pacing itself alongside about 20 feet into the bush. Long story short this thing was big but we couldn't see it - only hear it, every time we walked it walked and when we stopped it stopped.

My friend whispered that he would walk ahead and see if I could see/hear it, it was pitch black and I didn't hear anything until he was 2 to 3 minutes ahead. Then I heard it, long loping footsteps and heavy ones at that as it tried to catch up to my friend who was up ahead. I had an extremely elevated level of adrenaline at this stage I estimated what ever it was would be now 30 feet in front to my right in thick bush and I leveled my shotgun down in its direction and let rip.

When all the noise settled down i heard it crashing through the thickets back down the hill away from us, I sprinted and caught up to my friend and we jumped in our cars sped away and never went back there.

I don't know what it was but it was stalking us and it was bipedal and very large.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth
Yeppers. And Yeppers.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

So it crossed the road from left to right??

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I've experienced, with a buddy, one of these things jump on a barn. Didn't get a visual. It was big.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
30 Years ago up the Jarrah forest in South Western Australia a friend and I were walking back to our cars on a steep inclined road, off to my left I heard something walking and pacing itself alongside about 20 feet into the bush. Long story short this thing was big but we couldn't see it - only hear it, every time we walked it walked and when we stopped it stopped.

My friend whispered that he would walk ahead and see if I could see/hear it, it was pitch black and I didn't hear anything until he was 2 to 3 minutes ahead. Then I heard it, long loping footsteps and heavy ones at that as it tried to catch up to my friend who was up ahead. I had an extremely elevated level of adrenaline at this stage I estimated what ever it was would be now 30 feet in front to my right in thick bush and I leveled my shotgun down in its direction and let rip.

When all the noise settled down i heard it crashing through the thickets back down the hill away from us, I sprinted and caught up to my friend and we jumped in our cars sped away and never went back there.

I don't know what it was but it was stalking us and it was bipedal and very large.

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds amazingly similar to a story my Dad told me many times, he is now deceased. He was in the Air Force and stationed out in Washington state before being sent to Okinawa. He liked to grab a couple of beers and head out hiking alone.

He planned to hike down into a canyon and then back up before dark. He had his few beers at the bottom, but underestimated how much daylight he had remaining and got a move on back to the top. He began to hear something big in the brush below him matching his movements. It stopped when he stopped to listen, then started moving again when he did. He started to panic as it was rapidly getting dark and he was not with a buddy so he bolted up the side of the canyon as fast as he could. He thought it was on two legs and wondered if it was a huge person just messing with him.

He was in great shape, not lacking in physical fitness and had no problem being in nature alone, but the thing kept up with him and was gaining ground. He could hear it ripping branches out of it's way, hearing trees snap, boulders letting go and heard it's breathing. He told me he got into his Rambler and floored it, spitting gravel all over the place. Was scared because the thing was almost up over the rim of the canyon as he jumped in his car. I saw the fear in his face whenever he told me the story and he wasn't scared easily.

We always kind of joked about bigfoot and speculated it was a bear. I know bear can and will stalk, but to the point of matching footsteps...
...I dunno!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: shockedonlooker

They are out there. I'm not here to argue with anybody,

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I think what people have been seeing are these two .

www.9news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Nearly 30 years ago!!!

Oh my am feeling really old right now.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
i love these kind of stories, true or not, they let my imagination run wild, but as for the creature that is shown in one of the links you gave

www.earthfiles.com...

that creature looks very similar to a creature in an italian comic book called "Dylan Dog" specifically the 115 issue called "L'antro della belva" (the lair of the beast) that came out in 1996

Remove the extra arms and it's still the same basic concept.
the question is does this creature show up in some other folklore of some kind? Or did they just copy it off one another?
Any additional info on that type of creature could help determine if this is a hoax or should be taken more seriously

edit on 29/1/2015 by IShotMyLastMuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fermy

So it crossed the road from left to right??

No, it was on always my right side walking up the incline and it stayed that side but as I was stationary and my Friend was in front heading up the road to our cars it was at about 45 degrees when I let rip with my browning semi auto shotgun. I got the feeling this thing thought it had the upper hand and was playing with us until I was showering it with double O buckshot.
edit on 29-1-2015 by mazzroth because: typo

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: shockedonlooker

We don't have bears ( Koala bears over east ) and the only species close to this things size is a Kangaroo and they hop, this thing what ever it was stepped.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I remember reading about your experience in the barn on here. At least I guess it was you, I didn't associate that story with you but I remember reading it and it had a ring of truth to me. One of those stories that stays in your memory. Very scary stuff.

As for the missing people stories, I was really into reading about those, but it seems like a lot of debunking going on in that area lately. I've read some things that bring the Paulides material into question anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join