It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

So I have to be subjected to your second hand marijuana smoke, but you can shut down the tobacco smoke all your want?

I don't want to have to deal with either. They both stink.

Just because you derive some health benefit out of one doesn't mean I have to just sit down and shut up. Besides, they do have cannabis oil. You can always take that sub-lingual and no one would have to be subjected to your stinky smoke.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

If you're offended by the sight of two men kissing, you're a hater and a bigot.

If you're offended by the smell of burning tobacco, then you are held as a beacon of self-righteous indignation and considered of a higher stature.

Sight, smell, both just senses that cater to the individual.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Not quite a lie. I'm a non-smoker and I don't care where you smoke, as long as its not in my home, you can go outside into the yard for it if you really need. Also as long as its not somewhere where I have to sit in extreme close proximity such as a public transport.

I especially have to emphasise public transport, as before the buses banned smoking here, there were that many smokers on them, the windows produced more exhaust than the exhaust pipe. I was, quite simply, unable to use the buses because of that.

Everything else is just fine by me. Pubs are fine, restaurants are fine - providing the staff doesn't smoke, don't want ash in my food. Outside is fine. Places like museums and art galleries can set their own rules, I have nothing against it but the tobacco smoke might damage the exhibits.

I am undecided about parents smoking in their own car while a child is present, part of me wants to say to ban it, for the protection of the child who is too young to make the decision to become a smoker, the other part of me says their car, their choice.
edit on 25/1/2015 by BMorris because: For some reason ATS inserted a _javascriot:icon() so I edited to remove that.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Fanatics NEVER EVER make sense!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BMorris

originally posted by: douglas5

Just after the smoking ban in the U.K which stopped people smoking in public places even your own work vehicle if you are the only occupant they were going to bring in a law to stop people smoking on high streets , i think the Australians have a law stopping people smoking x- metres near a government building .

Enjoy it while we can

I was also informed by my landlord, that while its legal to smoke in your own home, it becomes illegal if you have workmen in, for the duration of the work, because you will be smoking in their workplace. Not sure if it's true, not investigated it as it was irrelevant to me, as I'm a non-smoker anyway.

That is true 2 hours before a worker arrives you have to stop smoking , some firms will not let you smoke even in the car park or in the grounds

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

So what you are saying is "your house-your rules"

And you would be fine with smokers having their own pubs and restaurants and letting each person decide for themselves which venue they would care to attend.

And you would be fine with separate buses, separate planes, separate trains

Separate smoking rooms in places of employment or at least comfortable smoking areas outside with shelter from the elements?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=18921282]ArMaP
originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
PS: not all people are affected in the same way. I had a neighbour that once went to the doctor and the doctor told her to stop smoking, but she didn't smoke, it was her husband that smoked, but his lungs were, apparently, less affected than hers.

Did she live in the GTA (Toronto and surrounding area) within 300 meters of the 401, DVP, 427, 404, 407, Gardiner Expressway, the QEW, downtown Toronto, Burlington/Hamilton, etc.? Because apparently (and according to a study made in Toronto) living that close to the any of those highways or downtown Toronto produces an effect that is like smoking between 47 and 52 cigarettes per day. As you may or may not know, Toronto has the worst traffic apparently, of any city in North America.

If I remember right, I think the "golden horseshoe" (Hamilton, Burlington, West GTA) has the highest cancer rates in Canada, next to places like Elliot Lake. Some of it is caused by industry directly, vehicles and other airborne pollution, the rest is due to the amount of poisons in the groundwater and Lake Ontario (as it is the last dumping ground before the St. Lawrence).

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/25.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/25.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I would be fine with smokers having the same restaurant and pub as me, providing those handling the drinks and/or food are not smoking at the time they are handling the drinks and/or food. Lets face it, rooms in restaurants and pubs are quite large and the smoke disperses quite rapidly.

Unless everyone in there is smoking at the same time, which is quite unlikely, its not really going to be a problem. At least not for me.

Separate buses/trains, well I guess if the providers want to do that, I'd have no problem with it, although in the case of trains, they could just put separate carriages on the same train.

Separate smoking rooms in a place of employment? Well that'd be the decision of the employers. I'd have no problem with being in the same room. Again offices are usually large rooms and the smoke disperses. If the guy next to me was a chain smoker, I'd just ask to relocate my desk. No offence meant to the guy.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

So you are not a fanatic. In fact - you are a tolerant non-smoker. Someone who doesn't think its their business to tell others how to live their lives.

So do you believe that once public health has control of smoker's homes, that they are going to stop?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Knowing how people in authority love to keep extending that authority, no, they won't stop.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

We agree! In fact, they are going to set the precedent with tobacco - then carry on until they are in everyone's home and making whatever rules they care to impose.

We are all at risk here!

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

In the end - it comes down to being who you are. I am a smoker. Smoking is a legal activity.

For now...
Just the other day I went to my Dr. (Tuesday) and was once again reminded to stop smoking. Now this Dr. is my PCP and a smoker herself, but she literally has to tell me to quit; for several reasons, one being it's her job to "first do no harm", but also.. the hospital she works for has mandated numerous things into their policies.

Anyway-Do you (all) know that when our Drs. tell us to do something and we don't comply, that is called being non-compliant, and in that case our Drs. can make the choice to no longer treat us as their patient.

Well, we had a conversation about the subject of smoking and I told her that smoking was legal.. actually I put it to her as a question (she knew I wasn't being a smart a$$, because it's almost 13 yrs. now that I've been going to her).

Thing is, my other Dr. is a real stickler about my smoking and lectures me every visit (every two mos.), even going so far as giving me a printout almost every visit. I could lie I suppose, and just tell him that I quit.. but I'm not one to lie and I really don't want to leave his office knowing that I lied to him. On the other hand, I know that he could release me as a pt., and this Dr. plays an important role in my quality of life. The irony is not lost on me here.

There is no disputing the fact that smoking is a wretched habit. Everything about it stinks, and yet I do it anyway. Nobody can win an argument for smoking .. except for the fact that it is a personal choice, it's still legal, and no one should be allowed to tell people what they can & cannot do.

All the arguments against smoking are understandable and I agree that smoking is nasty & won't even try to argue the point. The only thing I will say is that smoking is legal and I think it should remain that way-for adults.

PS-I'm not against e-cigs, but I'm starting to see things in the news that (some) say they might be as bad or even worse for the smoker (in at least one study) than smoking.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

We are only at risk if we do not share the published studies. See how quickly the insistent individuals stopped posting, once I linked them back to my first post and the links within.
Going back over the thread, you and I are the only two individuals who have linked outside sources for our arguments.

What is this website's motto?

edit on 25-1-2015 by randomtangentsrme because: I missed a " 's "

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
8 pages of people arguing about cigarette smoke and "liberty", all the while eating poisoned food, drinking poisoned water, and breathing poisoned air.

Priorities, folks. Where are our priorities?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: anonentity

Its clear that we are dealing with fanatics here.

Your right - its time to leave them to the madhouse they created

Tired of Control Freaks

I'm surprised that their haven't been examples of "smoker bashings" Because that is essentially what this brainwashing is leading to. But you have to ask yourself does one really want to be around these idiots. It not exactly good ambience.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kalalausoul
If its that big of a deal, get rid of all your house cleaning products, all unhealthy foods.

I can get rid of my house cleaning products or not.

My choice.

It's not my choice if you're sitting next to me at a restaurant or stinking up the apartment building. Never mind the serious health issues, it stinks and makes my nose and eyes itch. That's enough of an imposition in my book.

I've worked in restaurants both smoking and non-smoking and in my experience a lot of smokers would be the first to complain if someone was annoying them to the extent that smoking bothers non-smokers. You can tell that by the tone of some of the posts on this thread.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

So you are annoyed and offended. Well you got me there - that sure trumps all the human rights code, rights to privacy, the home is a castle doctrine, boundaries on authority

Yup - your offended. That is enough!

Did you ever once consider that you have no rights to ensure that you are never offended, that you will never smell anything you don't like, that no one on this planet will annoy ever!!!!

Man - you are self-entitled!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

originally posted by: kalalausoul
If its that big of a deal, get rid of all your house cleaning products, all unhealthy foods.

I can get rid of my house cleaning products or not.

My choice.

It's not my choice if you're sitting next to me at a restaurant or stinking up the apartment building. Never mind the serious health issues, it stinks and makes my nose and eyes itch. That's enough of an imposition in my book.

I've worked in restaurants both smoking and non-smoking and in my experience a lot of smokers would be the first to complain if someone was annoying them to the extent that smoking bothers non-smokers. You can tell that by the tone of some of the posts on this thread.

First what health issues are you referring to?
Second from what I know of the food industry, complaints come from a lot of people over many petty things. Can you give some examples of these smoker complaints that may pertain to non-smokers, and not "my food is wrong" or other problems that are the usual for a restaurant worker to hear?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: thenewguy1987

And again, the Hitler comparison is offensive and just plain erroneous. His motives were not to better peoples health but to crush a population.

I understand your thoughts on the Hitler comparison being offensive, but I think the OP is trying to say is that it was propaganda that led to everyone just going along. Just as the propaganda against cigarette smoking, obesity, etc.

Actually, what he is saying is true here, and the lawmakers won't stop here..

Like I said earlier, there is no good argument for smokers, but there is for our freedom of choice. This is just a choice that many don't like or agree with (that of the smoker).. and that's ok, but we can't forget the laws already passed and we can't be naïve enough to think that the laws will stop with the cigarette bans. I think that's important enough to take into consideration when folks are going out of their way to stigmatize smokers.

I mean.. where will it end?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Did it ever occur to you that a government that is big enough to give you everything you want is also large enough to take everything you have?

Tired of Control Freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join