It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Bans - Where will it end?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

When you are talking about someone who is addicted to the point that they have to get up and leave the building on multiple occasions during a meal you have someone who is highly prone to irritability in between fixes. Anyone who has ever lived with someone addicted to tobacco knows this, too.

It's people who insist on indulging in a bad habit in public no matter how much it disturbs others who are self-entitled. You don't realize that because you are a smoker.
Would I have the right to come blow in your ear while you're out in public somewhere if I feel like it? It's really the same principle.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: cuckooold

So I have to be subjected to your second hand marijuana smoke, but you can shut down the tobacco smoke all your want?

I don't want to have to deal with either. They both stink.

Just because you derive some health benefit out of one doesn't mean I have to just sit down and shut up. Besides, they do have cannabis oil. You can always take that sub-lingual and no one would have to be subjected to your stinky smoke.

That's not the argument I made. I'm not for one minute advocating people should smoke marijuana in public places. I am simply noting that there can be health benefits derived from using marijuana. There are very few for tobacco (although surprisingly there are some).

For the record, I smoke nothing myself, and my own preference is for a smoke free environment. In my own home I will ask visitors to smoke outside. In other people's homes, I will abide by their wishes. If I find the smoke too disturbing I have the option to leave. I shared a house with a woman in the past, who smoked only in her room, but the smell was overwhelming, and permeated the rest of the house. I chose to move out.

Who is telling you to sit down and shut up? I am merely distinguishing the two substances in relation to their effect on one's health

I am an ex-smoker, and I preach to nobody regarding what they choose to put in their body.
edit on 25-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

DelMarvel

Smoking bans have been spreading across the country.

smoking bans have been implemented for everyplace where the public HAS to go for decades now - public transportation, government offices, grocery stores, theatres

I am not allowed to smoke in public except outside. Further, I am not allowed any kind of shelter from the elements while I smoke.

When you enter onto someone else's property - the property owner sets the rules for his property - if you don't like being around cigarette smoke, why do you insist on entering someone elses property where smoking is allowed.

There is absolutely no reason to expose yourself to cigarette smoke unless you want to. Is there some reason why you feel it necessary to deliberately expose yourself.

If you are annoyed by cigarette smoke, why do you insist upon that. My right to smoke may end where your nose begins but your right end when you stick your nose where I have the right to smoke!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Anti-smokers have control of all public enclosed spaces, parks, beaches, ad nauseum

And now you want to right to end smoking in a place you can't legally enter (my home)

And you think smokers are self-entitled?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

When you are talking about someone who is addicted to the point that they have to get up and leave the building on multiple occasions during a meal you have someone who is highly prone to irritability in between fixes. Anyone who has ever lived with someone addicted to tobacco knows this, too.

It's people who insist on indulging in a bad habit in public no matter how much it disturbs others who are self-entitled. You don't realize that because you are a smoker.
Would I have the right to come blow in your ear while you're out in public somewhere if I feel like it? It's really the same principle.

I would say it is people who refuse to let others be who they are that are self entitled.

I'll let you blow in my ear anytime.
As you label me a smoker if you blow in my ear can I blow smoke in yours?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Where did I say I wanted to control your right to smoke on your own property? I'm talking about smoking in shared public spaces which you have also been complaining about.

You should have the right to smoke in or on your own property. But as the saying goes your rights end at my nose.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Please read the original post - we are talking about banes inside private homes

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I have not talked about share public spaces?

Does the public OWN the bar? or the restaurants? When did that happen? Did we take over the mortgages? Do we pay the staff wages? Do we pay the rent or the business taxes.

When did hospitality venues become "publically owned"

Tired of Control freaks

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

My right to the privacy and control of my own home trumps any right you may have not to be annoyed.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: SaturnFX

I am sorry - e-cigs are now being classed a tobacco product and are being banned in exactly the same way as cigarettes

Thanks for giving me the liberty and right to live exactly how you think I should live in my own home. I appreciate your kindness. Is there anything else I may do for you Master?

Tired of Control Freaks

Actually, I said you should have the liberty to do as you please in your home.

I see you are defensive
why not go have a smoke and calm down..work on your reading comprehension perhaps.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Good.

And here's something that I only wish I could link to, but unfortunately is here-say. My mother quit smoking, and almost 5 yrs later was diagnosed with lung cancer. Now I realize that the cancer could have been building for quite some time, but as it happens, my sister called the American Cancer Society to ask some questions. Some of what the person had to say will never be found on their website.

She told my sister that many people contract lung cancer after stopping smoking, and she said that it has something to do with the cells..I know this sounds lame but as it was explained to my sister; people who smoke for many yrs and then stop.. it tricks the bodies cells. The persons body had adjusted to the smoking and found ways to combat the effects. When they stop smoking after a long period, the body looks to fix something, something is different, so many things start to change, and what transpires is not always the great recovery that one might expect.

If you read about cancer it's almost a miracle (not in a good way), but it's amazing that anyone could get it. It's like hitting the (bad) lottery in that how much has to happen on a cellular level in order for a person to get cancer.

I know I didn't explain that very good, and I don't understand it myself really, but it does make me wonder...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

The anti-smoking thing is just a facet of Marxist ideology creep (my own phrase).

These control freak a-holes have got free run of the planet, and have done for some time.

Hitler had nothing on them.

Very sly, they are.

They put their full weight behind a laudable cause - so you can't oppose it without coming out the villain.

Against anti-smoking, are we? Well then, you obviously want people to get cancer and die. Are you aware of all the peer-reviewed studies...blah-blah...

It's the same with racism. No right-thinking person wants to be racist, right?

Great! So, let's blitz every country in the Western world with gazillions of 3rd world people still struggling to climb out of the stone age, and who view human rights as a quaint cultural oddity.

Got a problem with that, Nazi?

YOU'RE A RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate *ing Marxists.

Grrr.
edit on 26.1.2015 by CJCrawley because: Spelling error. Thanks for caring.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
If you can figure out a way to smoke in public and not exhale while no smoke escapes from your cigarette, go for it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

My right to the privacy and control of my own home trumps any right you may have not to be annoyed.

Tired of Control Freaks

This shows your lack of clarity on the subject.

Obviously, if you are containing your smoke to your own home you can't annoy me.

I've already said you have the right to smoke on your own property. But you've also been talking about smoking in apartment buildings where you affect the rights of other people in their own homes. You talked about smoking in parks (public spaces) saying it was the other person's responsibility to "put on their big boy pants" and move somewhere else. You want to violate the social contract and indulge in your bad habit in restaurants (never mind the question of property rights) even when you might be seriously disturbing others.

My suggestion is to try quitting smoking for six months and get back to us on what your opinion is of being around others' cigarette smoke.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
If you can figure out a way to smoke in public and not exhale while no smoke escapes from your cigarette, go for it.

And if you can site something that proves exhaling smoke is a detriment to those around them. . . Maybe we will listen

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: RobinB022

Good.

And here's something that I only wish I could link to, but unfortunately is here-say. My mother quit smoking, and almost 5 yrs later was diagnosed with lung cancer. Now I realize that the cancer could have been building for quite some time, but as it happens, my sister called the American Cancer Society to ask some questions. Some of what the person had to say will never be found on their website.

She told my sister that many people contract lung cancer after stopping smoking, and she said that it has something to do with the cells..I know this sounds lame but as it was explained to my sister; people who smoke for many yrs and then stop.. it tricks the bodies cells. The persons body had adjusted to the smoking and found ways to combat the effects. When they stop smoking after a long period, the body looks to fix something, something is different, so many things start to change, and what transpires is not always the great recovery that one might expect.

If you read about cancer it's almost a miracle (not in a good way), but it's amazing that anyone could get it. It's like hitting the (bad) lottery in that how much has to happen on a cellular level in order for a person to get cancer.

I know I didn't explain that very good, and I don't understand it myself really, but it does make me wonder...

So quitting smoking leads to cancer?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Talk about Godwin's Law.

People comparing those who don't want to breath second hand smoke with Marxists and Nazis are very likely in the thralls of major addiction.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

And if you can site something that proves exhaling smoke is a detriment to those around them. . . Maybe we will listen

I think governmental health organizations have done that -- repeatedly. You either haven't read the studies or didn't believe them.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

I think governmental health organizations have done that -- repeatedly. You either haven't read the studies or didn't believe them.

This is me linking you to my last post refuting your claims:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You have the option to address this or continue to speak without addressing what I have posted.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Interesting you bring up Godwin's Law.

That's how Marxists stifle dissension.

Not that YOU are a Marxist, of course.

Tell me, do you get the same angst about your health when you contemplate all the fumes given off by cars and planes as you do at the sight of someone lighting up across the street?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join