It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is marijuana really as dangerous as heroin and LSD? Finally, a welcome legal review

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

People may THINK they feel it in their bodies but the fact is (you're big on facts, no?), the half-life of Lucy is 2.5-4hrs. So no, there isn't any traces of Lucy in their system. And comparing heavy MJ users with typical recreational users is like comparing a social drinker to a full-blown alcoholic. Is MJ physically addictive? Every study I have read has said that moderate users show no signs of physical or psychological addiction. As for heavy, long-time users there is no clear consensus. Most agree there is a clear psychological dependence that develops in longtime, heavy users and that can take many forms. Physical dependence, as seen with meth, alcohol, crack,, nicotine, and the opiates not as dramatic. But there is hardly anything you can't overdo without getting yourself in trouble. Anyone who truly believes that MJ should be kept illegal based upon the alleged damage it can do to the user cannot possibly argue against making alcohol and tobacco illegal based upon the same standard and the copious number of long-term studies that prove it.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

It's the one-off stuff I'm talking about. There is no real lazy Saturday (in) Denmark left, all gone, banned and decayed long ago. All that is left is the fake, false, and yes, felt for half a year. Or so I've heard from reliable friends from the nineties.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
What i think is funny is pot is a C class drug in the Uk. ( class c being minor and class A being heroin and the like)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: intrptr

Pot has no psychical addictive properties but it does have a mild mental addiction but nowhere near the addiction of tobacco or alcohol. With pot repeated use doesn't lower tolerance simply because of the many different varieties of pot. With alcohol it is always the same be it beer, wine or whiskey because the main thing in them is alcohol. With pot however you have both THC and CDB and each strain is different so you really can't become tolerant to something that is constantly changing.

This isn't true in the least. Sorry guy, you're ignorant here. Pot most certainly has addictive properties. If you are a long time heavy toker, chances are pretty good you've whacked out your ability to sleep without it. It increases melatonin production some 40,000% 20 minutes after inhalation. Are you going to tell me that in and of itself can't cause physical addiction? You gotta be kidding me, buddy. Then with the nausea some experience, the depression, the extreme anxiety and agitation. Physical addiction may not be to the extent of heroine withdrawal, but it still exists.

As for not being able to build up a tolerance, hah! The same psychoactive substances are in all the same strains, only to varying degrees. I would say you get partial credit here. You can switch from one strain to another and need less, but no... you will most definitely build tolerance over time from heavy use.

I see you have a problem with the English language. I said there is a mild mental addiction but not physical. For one there is no nausea connected with pot it stops nausea also the depression, anxiety and agitation are mental not physical. Also if you say the psycho active elements is the same in all variates of pot then you know nothing about pot.
edit on 21-1-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I get your point there. people who mix tobacco with their cannabis tend to get more addicted to it, but that is the nicotine. Cannabis itself isn't chemically addictive, but it is mentally addictive just like shopping is.

I believe who you are responding to means that cannabis tolerance is there. You can build up a resistance to it after a long time smoking it. It makes one seek out more potent strains to get the same effect. Every single plant varies even in the same strain.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Heh, oh contraire.. .there IS the "real deal"... but is it as admittedly rare as finding 'one good man.'

The main factories were busted in the early 2000's ... a guy in Canada and one in an old missile silo in Nebraska, if memory serves... but many brave chemists with a smaller operation are still at work, bringing enlightenment to the masses.. .who, again admittedly, might not be ready for it!

But if ...IF... I had ever tried the stuff, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything... and would credit it with insights undreamed... IF I ever actually tried it, that is.

ETA and this "side note" IS on topic, since the headline reads "MJ as dangerous as heroin and '___'" so... on topic... just sayin' BTW I actually met TIm Leary and spent an afternoon with him at his house in L.A. years ago... and he was the most lucid, young looking octogenarian I've ever met... and we spoke about the odd "delayed aging" effect some ...er, more enthusiastic users of the three-letter substance have experienced... so it is not harmful, but the black market is a free-for-all and who knows what you're really getting... another reason to legalize it all for some regulation as far as labeling!

edit on 1/21/2015 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Alas (and a lass), my friend from the nineties never tried any real Leary-quality Luxemburg standard dinosaur. Back to topic, if marijuana even came close to being dangerous to the long-term health of its participants, and had absolutely no redeeming medical benefits, then the people who want it to remain on Schedule 1 might have a backhand of an argument. But nope on such bad dope. As I understand it the substance should also not be put into schedule two, or even three. And such a large percentage of the public knows that it doesn't fit schedule one that it's almost become an embarrassment (kind of like Boehner not clapping for helping poor people or those needing a boost to have a year or two of community college) for the Obama administration. I predict (putting on Karnak the Magnificent hat) that within six months he'll move it, but hopefully not to schedule two.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't think marijuana is as dangerous, however it is more easy to control.
Also the 'danger' of the drug depends on the kind of marijuana, the dosis etc.
However it still remains that heroin is much more intenste. Especially if injected.
Again, marijuana is easier to control.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Enock47

Easier to control? For who? One of the reasons that the pharmaceutical industry is lobbying to keep it illegal is because it ISN'T easy to control and its legalization could hurt their profits. You are going to have to explain yourself a bit better.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Enock47

Easier to control? For who? One of the reasons that the pharmaceutical industry is lobbying to keep it illegal is because it ISN'T easy to control and its legalization could hurt their profits. You are going to have to explain yourself a bit better.

Its about as easy to control as bootlegged alcohol. Which isn't an excessively huge issue is it? Most cannabis users want to go buy their stuff from a store. Not from some shady character. All the criminals will still do their thing. But most cannabis users aren't criminals and do not want to associate.
edit on 21/1/15 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Ya ha well I was there and witnessed it first hand when a friend had a bad trip. Remember it was cut with speed to keep you awake while you were tripping I had to stay up a whole night trying to keep a guy calm and telling him there were no hearts flying around his head or that the floor wasn't melting. . After seeing a friend freak out I was never tempted to try it. reply to: shanegm

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
You couldn't have just ignored my post. I didn't claim any better than anybody attitude. I was saying it wasn't a gateway drug. And I'm still saying it. I know people who have used it for decades and never moved on to harder drugs.

reply to: intrptr

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Is that what this thread is about or are you going all hijackey on it?a reply to: intrptr

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And oh please, the desire for a better life or nice things now that's an addiction too.???

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
And yet there are those who have a drink or two and then it's nothing till the next party or the young people who drink at bars during the weekend and don't have any alcohol the rest of the week. My aunt used to light a cigarette when she had a drink which was seldom and never smoked the rest of the time. That's most people. Not the other way around.

reply to: intrptr

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Don't kid yourself about why it's grown. Same with alcohol. It can be used to clean with but that's not why they make Petron tequila.

reply to: buster2010

Do you think you can get high from the plants grown for fiber, seeds, oil, and other products?
I'm betting there's a reason you asked this but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Always the same song and dance, "not enough long-term studies" yadda yadda yadda.

I like to think that it has been extensively studied by a wide range of college students over the past 50 years, and has be found to be essentially harmless.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
So then this thread is the many uses of hemp or a discussion on the legalization of marijuana?
I want to stay on topic.

reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Ya ha well I was there and witnessed it first hand when a friend had a bad trip. Remember it was cut with speed to keep you awake while you were tripping I had to stay up a whole night trying to keep a guy calm and telling him there were no hearts flying around his head or that the floor wasn't melting. . After seeing a friend freak out I was never tempted to try it. reply to: shanegm

Just how exactly is something that is measured in micrograms and laid on blotter paper cut with speed? I'm pretty sure you're "friend" took a research chemical.

You don't know what you're talking about.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky
Its about as easy to control as bootlegged alcohol. Which isn't an excessively huge issue is it?

I suppose the "problem" is that it's a lot easier to grow a plant than it is for people to make their own alcohol. Although my grandpa made his own wine pretty easily. But it still isn't the same as putting a seed in the ground and watering it and letting it grow. Still, as you say, most users would prefer to go to a store, where they can get a variety of strains, just like they can go to the liquor store and get a variety of booze. Without risking arrest.
edit on 21-1-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join