It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (2015)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
does the rover have a syringe onboard ?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

funbox

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
It's a little on the orange side, however, I suppose not all areas of Mars are the same color, just like not all areas of Earth are the same color.

Yes, and the easiest way of having a photo that looks more orange than normal is to take it when there's dust in the air, as the dust particles turn the light slightly orange, so the more particles in the air the more orange it looks.

There are some photos of a dust storm in Australia some years ago (maybe 5) that show that.

Amount of iron in the local soil, and all that.

That's one thing we can see in many photos from the orbiters, mostly from HiRISE, the colours of the ground change a lot from one place to the other.

Unfortunately, all landers have landed on relatively boring planes.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
there was no joke , it was a picture used in another thread that doesn't exist, created to illustrate a point that was never reached..

It wasn't, it was worse, as the lack of information about it turned it into disinformation.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

disinformation to obscure what ? what are you talking about ArMaP?

funbox

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

does the rover have a syringe onboard ?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

funbox

as you guys argue over a bright yellow picture, let's look again at what funbox posted not long ago. what are the options for what this could be? do things like this show up on earth rocks (realizing it's on top of the rock, not buried within it)?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Aleister
Very good. This one may be a potential history maker. I've said that before, and meant it, and mean it this time as well.

Well, it is interesting in that if you just showed somebody the image and asked them what they thought of it, they would say, "Oh, well, that looks like a fossil of some kind." But then if you tell them image is of a rock on Mars, then the tendency is for them (and me) to try to come up with explanations as to why it isn't a fossil. Of course, just because something looks like something doesn't mean that's what it is. But again, if it was of a rock on Earth, you wouldn't give it another thought.

Of course, but it is not on Earth so the more plausible idea for what would cause a spiral shape could very well be erosion of rock caused by water running down through a hole in a layer of rock similar to the spiral you get in a sink or bathtub when you pull the plug out.
edit on 26-3-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

disinformation to obscure what ? what are you talking about ArMaP?

Maybe "disinformation" isn't the best word to describe it, as it wasn't intentional, but the result was the same.

As I see it, this (and the first) thread about potential anomalies on Curiosity's photos, being in the Space Exploration forum, are supposed to be a place to share information so more people are aware of the findings and discuss them. For a serious discussion I think we should always present real data and be clear about what we post, to make it easier for people to get and understand that data and every other thing related to it.

That's why I don't think that posting altered images without stating exactly what was done and why is a good way of keeping the discussion going, as it may create misunderstandings and make people lose time looking in the wrong direction (two things I hate).

Based in all of the above, I think that your posting of that altered photo posted by another member is the kind of post that doesn't help keep the discussion going on about what matters.

Sure, "amusing ironic ways" are OK, but I think they should be clearly identified to avoid misunderstandings, specially in a subject that is already under some pressure to try to be seen as serious and worthy.

PS: sorry everybody for the off-topic.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

seems like a lot of fuss about nothing to me ,it was not a mars picture , it was a piss poor comparison that needed to be reduced a few sizes and even then, ill bet that fossil was found covered , and hasn't been sitting in exposure like Blueshift exampled anomaly

Based in all of the above, I think that your posting of that altered photo posted by another member is the kind of post that doesn't help keep the discussion going on about what matters.

maybe your right , the thread in which it was in, died.. or is running in a universe similar but ultimately different

or maybe posting pictures of Earth fossils that are far superior in quality to Naas Raw jpg s , is a misleading comparison
which is the point I was trying to make

did you actually read the thread during its brief existence ?

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

again , an example of the selective erosion mars like to spring upon us , that's if it is erosion , I more inclined to think that the underlying surface has been colonised , that small fan shape with tendrils *see small boxed blow-up, what kind of erosion it takes to create this I don't know, given that we're looking at a piece of rock that's only an inch or so across *blown up section*

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

seems like a lot of fuss about nothing to me ,it was not a mars picture , it was a piss poor comparison that needed to be reduced a few sizes and even then, ill bet that fossil was found covered , and hasn't been sitting in exposure like Blueshift exampled anomaly

Maybe it was a poor comparison, but it was clear what it was, and that's what I was trying to say.

maybe your right , the thread in which it was in, died.. or is running in a universe similar but ultimately different

or maybe posting pictures of Earth fossils that are far superior in quality to Naas Raw jpg s , is a misleading comparison
which is the point I was trying to make

People are constantly comparing them with Earth fossils, why do you consider that case was misleading?

did you actually read the thread during its brief existence ?

I read the thread.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Maybe it was a poor comparison, but it was clear what it was, and that's what I was trying to say.

hence my alteration to it , so it was at least more comparable

People are constantly comparing them with Earth fossils, why do you consider that case was misleading?

I don't mostly, but in that instance I felt it necessary, maybe after we got past discussing the difference in picture quality, lighting etc ,and of course unprocessed raw files/JPLjpg's further discussion about unknown genus type may have occurred .., I have no real desire to join that hypothetical timeline , so speculation on it is pointless

didn't I mention this a page back ?

I read the thread.

whilst it was live or after it was binned?

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: angy3112

It took me a minute to figure out that the news is that Opportunity has traveled the distance a marathon runner has to run. An interesting milestone (or 26.1 milestone).

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

hence my alteration to it , so it was at least more comparable

I only disagree with the fact that you didn't make it clear what it was and what you had done.

whilst it was live or after it was binned?

Does it matter?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I only disagree with the fact that you didn't make it clear what it was and what you had done.

it was a picture created to create questions , answers not included

if time had progressed...

Does it matter?

yes , because I smell a grapevine behind your words , like second hand information

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

yes , because I smell a grapevine behind your words , like second hand information

I never work with second hand information, that's one of the reasons I like to see second hand data (like altered images) clearly identified as such.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: angy3112

It took me a minute to figure out that the news is that Opportunity has traveled the distance a marathon runner has to run. An interesting milestone (or 26.1 milestone).

I think he ran out of time , or into a brick wall , or both , maybe even the same places as Perry, and now *insert name here*,.. ill think Blueshift should name it ,... in remembrance

rip *insert name here*, may you're spiral go on forever

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

no wonder you've been so stressed for all this time ..., one second

better ?

funbox

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar
Of course, but it is not on Earth so the more plausible idea for what would cause a spiral shape could very well be erosion of rock caused by water running down through a hole in a layer of rock similar to the spiral you get in a sink or bathtub when you pull the plug out.

My point exactly. It took quite a bit of imagination to come up with that scenario, just so you could explain something on Mars that you wouldn't have to think twice about if it was on Earth.

Also, I think you might get a spiral, but why wouldn't it wash away the radial spokes?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join