It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are alone this Christmas... and even if you aren't

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thanks Nef, It seems silly of me to say this... but "We are the World" ....

not governments, not corporations who try to control us but we the people of the world ......
edit on 25-12-2014 by fnpmitchreturns because: sp/add

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: fnpmitchreturns

That we are - its sad so many folks forget it!

Merry Chrimbo Mitch

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Merry Christmas everyone, best wishes to you all!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
i am alone this year. just me and the cat. having an ok time nonetheless. tv, booze, a smoke. i'm in paradise compared to some. happy xmas and new year everybody

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

Well Quiet Man is on AMC, loving it!
John Waynes best movie.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I had all my kids come home for dinner yesterday, Christmas eve. But I got off work at 9 PM, we ate, opened presents, and then I was so exhausted I fell asleep. I had to leave for work in the morning, and now come home to an empty house. I feel like I didn't get enough time with my kiddos, and it bothers me. I didn't have alone time with each, to really connect, before they all had to go back to their work, or college. It's got me feeling a bit low. Nice to know my favorite conspiracy theorists are there anyhow.

Happy holidays y'all!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
My first Xmas where I'm not alone. It feels good. Usually my holiday is working from home. Despite how much I disagree with certain topics and views I still like ATS. I mean hell, I've been reading the site since 2000, I don't know why I took so long to join.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Well, this is a far different Christmas than last year.

I guess you never know when it'll be "that" Christmas. The last one that you're all together and things are as normal as they ever get for your family. The one you use as the dividing line between 'the way it used to be' and 'how it is now'.

There are any number of such dividing lines for most families I know. One was "now we have kids that are old enough to enjoy it", another "they've all caught on about Santa", another "they've all gone off to college and some of them decided not to come this year", "some are married and have their own". Eventually, it'll be "now the grandkids are old enough to enjoy it".

But this year is different in a bad way. Dad passed away in the summer while I was away, and just before Thanksgiving, Mom fell and broke her hip. She was ok until about four days after the surgery, then got geriatric post-surgical delirium and hasn't been right since. There's a good chance she'll never be able to come home and live alone, which sparks off an issue with the family. First, there's still some animals here that Mom was keeping, so they'll have to go, including the pets which none of us can easily take, although that's still up for grabs. I've made arrangements for one of the other guys to take my place at work and I can stay about two more months, but that'll be that.

Second, someone has to be guardian and conservator, and we're scattered all over the southeast. But if we declare Mom incompetent with Dad dead, then there's a chance the court will decide to force the conservator to liquidate the farm, and it's been in the family for generations. We'd like to keep it, even as just a 'place to go', although with no-one here to maintain it it will be a mess. But if we don't, we can't take care of her business for her. It might be that we could get the court to expand the limited power of attorney we have, but it doesn't cover her business, and if the probate gets involved they may decide she has to have a guardian/conservator and then you have the possibility they'll decide that selling all her stuff to pay for the nursing home is the way to go. So there's a family stressor.

Third, everyone has their ideas as to what ought to happen, and they're all different (mostly) and it's been the Christmas of polarizing arguments.

So it's not as nice a Christmas as last year. And this time next year, maybe not even an O'Bedlam homestead any more. None of it the end of the world, but it's definitely the year that things didn't turn out as you planned, ho ho ho.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Merry yuletide to you too, Nef. Thank you.

and thank you to everyone here as well. Yuletide wishes for every single member, because ya'll are so fun.

The title of the post made an impact on me such that I had to click it. It's easy when you are alone for this holiday to be depressing. I woke up today, depressed and weary of the past. Never thought ATS would change that for me.

Cheers, everyone.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Merry Christmas! God bless you all x

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I've been fortunate enough to have a very close friend who has had me over for Christmas dinner for the last 8 years or so. This year, he's off to California to spend the holidays with his new girlfriend's family.
So, this year it's a solo holiday. In about 30 minutes I'll be stuffing myself with Chile Relleno Casserole, my first attempt.
I should have planned ahead a bit more and picked up some libations, but drinking alone at home has never been much fun.
Snow is coming down, beautiful Christmas day in Wyoming.
May your day be filled with joy and happiness, ATS!

ETA: On second thought, there are about 11 bottles of homemade wine on the rack. I'm pretty sure that at least one of them is calling my name. Now where's that darn corkscrew?
edit on 25-12-2014 by sageturkey because: Add

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hi ATSers
I haven't been an active participant on the boards for some time. I have kept reading, but just haven't had much to contribute to the dialogue. Not sure if anyone here even remembers me.

I am alone on the holiday. It's okay I guess. I visited my parents yesterday and am blessed they are still here and reasonably healthy.

My work has been all consuming and leaving me tired and burned out. I don't do well in the winter months - as I love the outdoors (read, write, walk, meditate outside). A bit too chilly for me now - and asthma makes walking in the cold not fun.

I have much to be thankful for. I'm alive and don't have a deadly disease or injury, I have a home, water, food, job, income, parents, adult children. I have some to be sad about. No significant other currently. Lost loves, family to the great beyond over the years. Children are "failing to launch" and I worry about their futures. All my beloved pets have passed. I can't bring myself to get another right now. Job is unstable and working 10-15 hours a day, weekends, leaving not much time to stay healthy, exercise, be creative, relax or enjoy.

I normally never feel lonely. I've always been "strong" on the outside and did what needed to be done to support my kids when they were growing up. But I have noticed in the past few months that I have that lonely feeling. I think it's because I really would like to change every aspect of my life - find a new way to make a living that allows for travel, creativity, health -- but I really would like a gentleman in my life to create that life with me. Funny, I never thought I'd feel that way. My sweetheart died in an accident years ago. But now, I wish I did have someone to sort of lean on, laugh with, and help me make the wholesale changes I long to make in my life.

When my kids were little, Xmas was tremendous fun and joyful, even when I was struggling financially. When I was little, X-mas was completely magical, even though we didn't have a ton, and the parents would inevitably end up fighting, it was still wonderful. It's not Xmas that's getting me down (although it's a rough time of year to be alone). It's my stuckness and fear that I no longer have it in me to create the life I want to lead. I feel that I hung tough all these years, being a single mom for long stretches, losing my Love, and trying to be "responsible." I kind of lost my true Self though.

Sorry for spilling. Thanks for "listening." I watched Guardians of the Galaxy today, laughed, had tears, and realized that having deep connections is something I do miss after all. I know tomorrow I'll wake up, work all day, and brush it off. But today, sorta down in the dumps.

Merry merry to all.
Galadriel

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Galadriel

Thats what this thread is for...no need to apologise.

Know that there are others in the same position - I'm sitting here in silence save for the sound of the kettle boiling and wondering whether I'll ever really manage to get the meaning of "Christmas" - it seems to wane each year I pass by myself (well, almost by myself).

But you aren't alone on here. Always remember that

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Of course we remember you

Good to know that you are well, you do have much to be thankful for.
I've had the whole week off, I could use about 3 more.
It seems to me that our 'true selves' come and go - at least to ourselves they do...
The ebbs and flows of life - like the seasons, change.
We as humans were not meant to be alone, but it can be a gift as well.
One of my favorite quotes from the Dhammapada:
"One who sits alone, sleeps alone and walks alone, who is strenuous and subdues oneself alone, will find delight in the solitude of the forest. "
Dhammapada
Take Heart in knowing that you have a purpose.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: sageturkey

Woah I remember seeing your posts! Good to see you're still here too

Glad to be with family this Xmas. Kind of feels strange, so used to silence except for my comp humming, and the phone ringing. Been great so far. Wishing all the best to ATS!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Thanks YKWM!
Hail Bob!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Nef, so touched to see this thread. You rock.

Merry Christmas ATS!

Or whatever it is you celebrate...or not...just be happy.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well, here it is, another Christmas.

Just another day.

Work the day before,
work the day after.

I'm in my office at home,
kept company by a variety
of bottles.

If you like a dark stout,
check out Voo Doo, from
Left Coast Brewing Co.
Good stuff...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I've missed you Galadriel! You and I often read and posted in the same threads, and I do indeed remember you! Happy holidays to you this season.

Merry Christmas everyone, and may your New Year be bright.

~ CirqueDeTruth

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Hey CiqueDeTruth, thank you! I agree, we often showed up in similar threads. I felt I've been silent so long that no one would remember me (although my avatar remains unchanged, as I love it!).

I still visit ATS nearly daily or at least twice a week when really busy. Miss alot the members who aren't around any more (or maybe they are back to lurking like I have been).

Happy new year!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join