It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: No Charges in Eric Garner Chokehold Case for Officer

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: truckdriver42
a reply to: windword

Don't be a thug and you wont end up dead. Its that simple.

Wasn't aware that selling smokes makes you a "thug". Real thugs rob and hurt other people in the name of their criminal organisation. These are two different things here in my opinion.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SloAnPainful

Wasn't aware that selling smokes makes you a "thug". Real thugs rob and hurt other people in the name of their criminal organisation. These are two different things here in my opinion.

-SAP-

Yeah! We need to define "thug"! If I litter am I a thug? A thug that deserves Death on the street by a violent cop? or is it something more...what if I sell something illegally and don't report the taxes...am I a thug then? Like if I have a yard sale and don't report the profit? Will they kill me?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Sorry, but I really don't see anything here to suggest that the man was a 'thug'. A petty criminal? Perhaps. A thug? That's quite a stretch given the alleged crime here.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

So you are saying because others are doing it he should be able to break the law too?

I'm saying it's such a common NYC thing, there was no need for a violent arrest. Bodega owners caught doing it get tickets, not arrests. It's NOT a crime for which an arrest is required, nor typical.

Agreed; violent arrest for selling cigs is ridiculous.
However, as a former New York City resident (as well as former smoker)...NYC authorities are quite (over)zealous and tenacious when it comes to cracking down on anything involving tobacco...let alone non-NY taxed tobacco (as in the Garner case).

edit on 3-12-2014 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

-SAP-

Yeah! We need to define "thug"! If I litter am I a thug? A thug that deserves Death on the street by a violent cop? or is it something more...what if I sell something illegally and don't report the taxes...am I a thug then? Like if I have a yard sale and don't report the profit? Will they kill me?

Whatever you do, don't get caught legally hording food, essential supplies, weapons and ammunition.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Oh come on.. He certainly did. Are you saying that the cops are lying and they dont have evidence? The guy was busted for the same thing before.. I will give the cops the benefit of the doubt here.

In footage taken of the arrest and later published by New York Daily News, we see the 350 pound asthmatic Garner approached by two plain clothes officers and questioned about alleged selling of untaxed cigarettes.

Garner says that “he didn’t do s***” and that he was “just minding his own business”, before the police ask him to give them his hands so that he can be handcuffed.

How could he be resisting arrest, when they never told him he under arrest?

From what I understand, Eric Garner did NOT have any cigarettes on his person when he was approached by the undercover officers.

According to the NYPD, Garner had a history of selling untaxed cigarettes and that officers had observed his selling his wares on Thursday prior to his arrest.

However, Ramsey Orta, 22, a friend of Garner and the person that videoed the footage refuted this, saying that Garner had only just split up a fight between two other men.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

They have to deal with a black man being the most powerful man in the world and that just really grinds their gears.

This made me chuckle a bit, knowing that the last real president that we had was Kennedy. It doesn't matter what color the president is, he's as empty of anything approaching "being the most powerful man in the world."

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Welcome to NY. And people wonder why I would sell my soul to the devil to get out of here. And we live 400 miles from the city, but to be honest the whole state is just as bad. But unlike in the big city we country folks still have some long objects with barrels that go boom to counter rabid cops. Too bad the city folk sold out to bloomberg and lost rights to any kind of weapon....

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

-SAP-

Agreed it should be defined. I guess what I consider a "thug" and what police and some other people consider it are pretty different.

I've seen what I believe to be true "thugs". I seriously doubt this man was a "thug" by my own definition.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I am 100% in agreement with the finding of the Trayvon Martin incident.

I am 100% in agreement with the findings of the Mike Brown incident.

I am 100% NOT IN AGREEMENT with the findings of this incident. There should absolutely be an indictment for manslaughter based on the excessive use of deadly force on someone who posed no serious threat to these officers.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is very sad. This is just wrong. I'm sad and disappointed. Hopefully the federal investigation will proceed and charges will be filed.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

edit on 3-12-2014 by 3u40r15m because: eh..

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This doesn't do much for Obama's police body camera initiative.

With Eric Garner, Obama’s body camera argument just took a big hit

President Obama announced this week that, in response to Ferguson and other cases of cops killing unarmed black men, the White House would call for $75 million to make 50,000 body cameras available to police departments across the country.

But on Wednesday, a grand jury declined to indict New York police officers in the choking death of Eric Garner -- a case in which there was footage. And the timing couldn't really be worse for the White House.

MORE:
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

-SAP-

Whatever you do, don't get caught legally hording food, essential supplies, weapons and ammunition.

it's real easy...cops need to quit killing black people

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

They kill more then just "black people". They kill people of all ethnicity. The thing is the MSM only reports when a African American gets killed by police.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Times Square is filling up with protestors.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Times Square is filling up with protestors.

Wish i was closer!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

They don't need to be killing people unnecessarily and without justification, regardless of race or ethnicity. Its not a race issue, although some really want it be.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
So we have a guy shot 43 times in Saginaw Michigan over a stolen cup of coffee and now a man strangled to death for selling loose cigarettes in NYC meanwhile since 2008 Bank of America has been fined $92 billion in legal fees and settlelements and not one bank officer has seen a cell,the whole systems stink must woft as high as heaven these days.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join