It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: No Charges in Eric Garner Chokehold Case for Officer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
According to the coroner, there was no damage to Garner's windpipe or neck bone.
So the Jury was probably forced to conclude that Garner's poor state of health (diabetes, obesity, hyper-tension, asthma) caused his death in conjunction with the stress of the arrest and the application of the head-lock.

I think a charge of manslaughter or criminally-negligent homicide should have definitely been considered by the G.J.
Perhaps the reasons why these charges were not considered will soon be revealed.

(post by jimmyx removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Decisions like this one and the Ferguson case show why special prosecutors should be appointed in these cases involving local LEOs. There is a conflict of interest when the prosecutor has worked with PD on a daily basis seeking to prosecute non-LEOs. There is no escaping this conflict of interest except by appointing a prosecutor who does not work with the involved PD on a daily basis. We will never know the facts while this bias exists because the prosecutor must depend on LEOs to provide evidence. There is a fix available but in this case and the Ferguson case, the appointment of a special prosecutor was apparently rejected. It isn't the system that is broken, it is the people who are working the system.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: brandiwine14
This is what happens when people cry wolf. I kept saying to others that if they (msm, obama, sharpton) continue with the race baiting narrative the people will get sick of it and will not consider the real cases of it. This is clearly a case where it is real, this man literally did nothing and died because of of it.

This is sad. I thought the Ferguson rioters should have used Eric Garner as their poster boy, because this should have been a clear cut case. He just stood there, minding his own business.

A tsunami is coming. The tide of blood from innocents will rise until all the occupiers and their sympathizers are drowned. Mobs are not known for their collective intelligence, but there is no alternative to this evil.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The officer used a forbidden choke hold, he should be immediately fired, but Latrell Spreewell wasn't fired either...

I believe Officer Wilson acted within reason, that being said, WTF NYPD?

The NYPD systematically dishes out racism and brutality on a daily basis, I am pro-cop and establishment, but even I can't look at the NYPD without feeling sick.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
According to the coroner, there was no damage to Garner's windpipe or neck bone.
So the Jury was probably forced to conclude that Garner's poor state of health (diabetes, obesity, hyper-tension, asthma) caused his death in conjunction with the stress of the arrest and the application of the head-lock.

I think a charge of manslaughter or criminally-negligent homicide should have definitely been considered by the G.J.
Perhaps the reasons why these charges were not considered will soon be revealed.

I take it you believe that LEO testimony and evidence handling are accurate and benevolent. Just too painful to admit it's all suspect and not to be trusted? The harsh truth is that they have the whole chain of evidence completely gamed.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
#EricGarner is starting to explode on Twitter

Mario Diaz ‏(@MarioPIX11) reporter for local NY station just tweeted...
Crowd here at Tompkinsville site of #EricGarner 's death chanting, "Justice For Who?"

edit on 3-12-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: network dude
I don't think this was racially motivated. I don't think Wilson should have been indicted, but this cop used excessive force and inadvertently caused a person's death.

I don't agree with this decision. If someone doesn't make some changes, there will be justifiable riots. And when those happen, Ferguson and LA will look like a playground.

make changes???....that choke hold was made illegal, the guy said he couldn't breathe, he had no weapon, there were officers on top of him that already had him restrained, the coroner wrote in his report that it was a homicide, and IT WAS ALL ON VIDEO!!!....the officer needs to go to prison, period.

It's not that I don't kind of agree. I do. But the officer didn't do anything with intent to kill this man. It happened. I think he should be put on trial and there should be a realistic sentence (if found guilty, which there seems to be no way he's not).

But whatever happens to this cop (or doesn't happen) the entire system needs to change. Cops need to approach things with a clear thought process of what should happen. I hate Monday morning quarterbacks blabbing about what they would have done. I just hope that at some point, those who can make a change to the system realize its broken an needs fixing.

Maybe make a cops salary much higher, and raise the bar on what type of men they want to become police officers. I am quite sure if a cop could make 70K a year LEGALLY doing his job, you would find lots of good qualified men lining up to a chance.

Instead, we give millions of dollars to some folks who are good at football and basketball. Priorities are a bit backward.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Boy that didn't take long.

Of course I knew, as well as others knew it wouldn't take long...

-SAP-
edit on 3-12-2014 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Oh My Gosh, You would think the video alone would be enough to indict this cop for criminal charges. But then again they dont want to send ripples through the police departments ranks, you scratch my back ill scratch yours. They man was choked to death, this isnt some bullet, it took time to kill this man, time that the cop had, to know he was doing serious injury to this man. WTF

link   
Here's a reminder.

(FULL) Black Man KILLED After NYPD Cop Puts Him In CHOKEHOLD For Breaking Up a FIGHT

link   
It seems to me that it doesn't matter what the circumstances are, police will rarely find themselves to be held guilty for the death of someone in custody. Sending a LEO to prison is pretty much a death sentence and perhaps that's what's behind the thinking of a grand jury in letting them off.

What irks me are two recent deaths related to arrests involving jay walking and selling cigarettes. Seems a little heavy handed, imho, but I'm sure there are lots of other cases we never hear about.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
Oh My Gosh, You would think the video alone would be enough to indict this cop for criminal charges. But then again they dont want to send ripples through the police departments ranks, you scratch my back ill scratch yours. They man was choked to death, this isnt some bullet, it took time to kill this man, time that the cop had, to know he was doing serious injury to this man. WTF

That's it!

Who will defend the judges who put the average day citizen in prison, if they cause a disturbance in the force by convicting those who protect them?

Sorry, the Star Wars reference was totally unintended....

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: YayMayorBee
You beat me to it...

So its official, if you want to get away with murder in this country, become a police officer.

I believe there is a more sinister agenda at play here, and it is going to be more than apparent soon.

Especially in these high profile, racially contentious cases.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Now this is a clear case of excessive force and I cannot for the life of me conceive of how a determination of innocence could even be considered for the officer(s) involved.

I do not think that this is racially motivated. I do think that deploying a squad of thugs to apprehend a person selling cigarettes is a travesty and in no way could be considered defensible.

There just isn't any possible reason to be doing things like this, what possible gain could there be?

Are there not violent criminals to be pursuing?

Please don't riot, this case could be the keystone in the legitimate cause for the significant reduction of police power across this country.

May God bless this victim of unprovoked police violence and let his sacrifice be not squandered.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
NYPD Officers prepare in Grand Central Station

Via Twitter

Marla Diamond ‏@MDiamond8 45 seconds ago
Officers prep for "die in" at Grand Central to protest #EricGarner decision. MTAsays they expect it to be peaceful.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Previously rarely seen video of the Eric Garner chokehold.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

"Expect it to be peaceful" yet they have 15 cops lined up there...? I understand preparations but they obviously have reasons to think that it won't be peaceful...

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

originally posted by: YayMayorBee
You beat me to it...

So its official, if you want to get away with murder in this country, become a police officer.

I believe there is a more sinister agenda at play here, and it is going to be more than apparent soon.

Ahhh...you speak, of course, of the fact that the man was selling non-N.Y. taxed, tobacco in uber-liberal New York.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join