It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama is announcing immigration reform ....

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Assimilation?

What about those damn Irish!?

Round and round the wheel of time goes..

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: Indigo5

the system is broken..

I am interested in finding out more about this.
It sounds like a catch phrase, but hey, I am willing to listen.

If the system is broken, that means that it broke at some point. When did it break?

A dozen different ways..

Here...I will slice just one part out for you..

Because "Border Security" plays well on TV with toothy politicians..

OK...so we threw more money at the border...and cost per apprehension went from $238 per apprehension in 1990 to $10,431 per apprehension in 2011?

Why?

Cuz the border isn't the biggest problem. It just makes people feel better to throw guys with guns at it and politicians know it.

The Pew Report states that "The vast majority of unauthorized immigrants entered the country without valid documents or arrived with valid visas but stayed past their visa expiration date or otherwise violated the terms of their admission."

www.pewhispanic.org...

Many in U.S. Illegally Overstayed Their Visas

Those Who Entered Legitimately Account for 40% of the 11 Million Total, Complicating Attempts to Craft New Legislation

online.wsj.com...

40 percent of nation's illegal residents came by plane and overstayed visas

www.politifact.com...

Next...If you want to figure out why so many over-stay their Visa's...we can circle back to the question...Where is the line that everyone thinks illegals should go stand in?

Or...we can discuss supply and demand and 25% of Farm workers in America are here illegally?

But of course you were sincere in saying you wanted to know more about how our immigration system is broken?...Right?

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com... article talks about some measures republicans are planing in efforts to thwart the new EO ranging from defunding certian programs to full on shutting down the government again over it

“History has proven that unilateral action on immigration simply perpetuates a cycle of illegal entry into this country,” McCaul said. “This was true under the 1986 amnesty and it has been true under DACA, which enticed 60,000 unaccompanied children to make the perilous journey across our border this summer. We will see a wave of illegal immigration because of the president’s actions, and in no way is the Department of Homeland Security prepared to handle such a surge. Furthermore, the president knows any immigration reforms will be ineffective as long as our border remains insecure. As chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security, I will use every tool at my disposal to stop the president’s unconstitutional actions from being implemented.” Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-OK) said Congress needs to use the power of the purse to block Obama, and that Obama should not choose to shut the government down to defend his unprecedented actions. “How should Congress respond to Obama’s illegal executive amnesty?” Bridenstine said in a statement. “Congress should exercise the power of the purse to withhold funding necessary to implement the President’s amnesty. I hope the President does not choose to shut down the government to enact an executive action that American does not want, that Congress did not vote for, and that is unconstitutional.” Republican National Committee (RNC) chairman Reince Priebus tripled down on his call for Republicans to use the power of the purse to block Obama. "I am confident that the Republican Congress will do everything within their power to uphold the Constitution,” Priebus said in a statement while the RNC circulated two Breitbart News articles—one from before and one from after the election that called on Republicans to block Obama. “The American people rejected the administration’s policies during the midterms; they will do so again in 2016."

townhall.com...

This stopgap measure could take two forms, depending on the scope of an executive order. It could fully fund the government at current levels, including the Department of Homeland Security that oversees immigration, and run through February or March. Or it could provide for a short-term continuing resolution for DHS while fully funding the rest of the government through the remainder of fiscal 2015. The latter option is favored by Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga., the likely next chairman of the House Budget Committee.
seems defending DHS and keeping most of the rest of the government is also an option they are exploring and its a tactic that seems to have been used many times before

If Republicans do decide to fund the rest of the federal government, while passing a separate funding bill that specifically limits Obama's ability to implement an executive amnesty, even Senate Democrats acknowledge that would be a perfectly legitimate tactic. “It happens all the time,” retiring Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) told National Review last week. “That’s not uncommon that there’s amendments saying ‘none of the funds in this appropriation bill may be spent for’ — fill in the blank,” Levin said.
i guess they could take a crack at other obama programs as well like Michells much maligned school lunch programs or go after the IRS with further cuts to limit the potential enforcement of the aca/obamacare.or if they really wanna go the extreme route they could always in theory de-fund the secret service......i mean they own the house and senate so they can pretty much decide what gets funding and what does not so he can implement any programs he wants and then the republicans can in theory cut the purse strings

www.breitbart.com...

www.koco.com... oklahomas response

www.mediaite.com... and he can kiss any appointments he wanted to do good bye now as well as if any of the sitting supremes want to retire now so he could replace them with like minded people(Ginsburg plan is to retire only when she can be replaced with a like minded person) that is done now wont happen solely out of spite

If the President announces executive amnesty, the new Senate Majority Leader who takes over in January should announce that the 114th Congress will not confirm a single nominee—executive or judicial—outside of vital national security positions, so long as the illegal amnesty persists. This is a potent tool given to Congress by the Constitution explicitly to act as a check on executive power. It is a constitutional power of the Majority Leader alone, and it would serve as a significant deterrent to a lawless President. Additionally, the new Congress should exercise the power of the purse by passing individual appropriations bills authorizing critical functions of government and attaching riders to strip the authority from the president to grant amnesty.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Obama is on TV right now talking again.

Snacking his lips and fumbling and bumbling.

He is very nervous.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
www.libertynews.com... and i guess the first shot accross the bow has been fired with a bill to defund it

Today Reps. Ted Poe (R, TX) and Diane Black (R, TN) have introduced a bill that would prevent money being allocated for Obama’s amnesty. The pair are calling their bill The Separation of Powers Act and it would block use of funds that would be used to pay for some of Obama’s amnesty plans such as creating and issuing 5 million new work permits. - See more at: www.libertynews.com...[/ex ]

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

But of course you were sincere in saying you wanted to know more about how our immigration system is broken?...Right?

You almost seem to doubt my sincerity.

I don't want to see the money wasted. And more seems to be wasted all the time.

I am not anti-immigrant. Our country was built on the backs of laboring immigrants.
I am all for having the people that enter our country be of the caliber that will help our country grow.

OK...so we threw more money at the border...and cost per apprehension went from $238 per apprehension in 1990 to $10,431 per apprehension in 2011?

You use the date 1990, but the line in the graph really looks vertical after 2008.... nearly 20 years later. One could argue that the execution of the law has been mishandled in the last 5 or 6 years.
edit on bu302014-11-21T15:27:46-06:0003America/ChicagoFri, 21 Nov 2014 15:27:46 -06003u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
www.freerepublic.com... one more link talking about how the claim republicans cant defund the program may alegedly be false( i have no idea as to credibility of source it appears to be right leaning) but it and some of the comments are interesting

shamelessly stolen but re worded from the comments : and with the new EO for the 5 million illegals to get their stay of deportation they need to sign up and register....seems all it may take is public and often comments from republicans that any one on that list will be their priority to deport once they repeal the law/reverse its effect later on down the road as then they will know where every one is as they will be on a list and its easier to find people once they are on lists like this id imagine ,don't have to repeal it just get enough people to scared to sign up and be "on a list" that may later be used against them at a later date. shady? probably.ruthless? yeah but methinks it would be a highly effective tactic to implement barring other options.
edit on 21-11-2014 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A lot of mumbling and fumbling on the Republican side about how they will stop Obama's Amnesty but nothing about how to actually fix the immigration problem.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Continued:

A passage Munro found in Obama’s autobiography, The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream, finds Obama making the case that illegal immigration suppresses wages.

“[T]here’s no denying that many blacks share the same anxieties as many whites about the wave of illegal immigration flooding our Southern border—a sense that what’s happening now is fundamentally different from what has gone on before,” then-Senator Obama wrote in his 2006 autobiography, “The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream.”

“Native-born Americans suspect that it is they, and not the immigrant, who are being forced to adapt” to social changes caused by migration, he said.

“The number of immigrants added to the labor force every year is of a magnitude not seen in this country for over a century,” Obama noted. “If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole—especially by keeping our workforce young, in contrast to an increasingly geriatric Europe and Japan—it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.”

“And if I’m honest with myself, I must admit that I’m not entirely immune to such nativist sentiments,” Obama wrote. “When I see Mexican flags waved at pro-immigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”

I guess Obama was AGAINST illegal immigration before he was FOR IT!

I'm not a "birther" but those passages certainly imply that he wasn't born in the U.S.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

well i seem to remember lots of republicans over the years advocating for a better fence/wall and increased border scrutiny to stop more from getting in and then coming up with a comprehensive plan to deal with the ones already here

theweek.com...

" Senate Republicans, though, say they won't agree to immigration reform until the border is better protected. "We must follow through on the broken promises of the past to secure our borders and enforce our laws," said Sen. Marco Rubio.
older link mind you but i seem to remember this being an almost constant talking point of the republicans and them saying no immigration deal until the border is secured as a pretty core part of their platform for at least the last 8 years if not longer

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
A lot of mumbling and fumbling on the Republican side about how they will stop Obama's Amnesty but nothing about how to actually fix the immigration problem.

I sent you a reply earlier in the thread which you conveniently ignore

I dislike republicans as much as the next guy. But the simple fact of the matter is the left has been trying to make out like republicans are offering nothing across the isle when it's simply not true

There are over 400 on the desk of hary Reid and he has REFUSED to even look at them or present them for a vote

The simple fact is they have been trying and the democrats are stonewalling any input or ideas on how to resolve the issue other than THIS!

If you are going to make accusations repeatedly at least address and respond when the facts are presented to you

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This was pure lawlessness.

Obama himself said, CONGRESS HAS TO FIRST PASS A LAW BEFORE I CAN ACT.

Obama isn't King. What would we need Congress for if the President can say, Congress isn't passing the Bill I want to sign therefore I'm using Executive Action.

Reagan did it AFTER Congress gave Amnesty to 3 million people.

Reagan and Bush acted in conjunction with Congress and in furtherance of a congressional purpose. In 1986, Congress passed a full-blown amnesty, the Simpson-Mazzoli Act, conferring residency rights on some 3 million people.

Reagan couldn't say, if Congress doesn't pass Simpson-Mazzoli I will do an Executive Order. That would be lawless.

Reagan said the Amnesty passed by Congress didn't protect the children from deportation. He couldn't have done this if Congress didn't first pass a law.

AGAIN, OBAMA HIMSELF SAID HE FIRST NEEDED CONGRESS TO PASS A LAW.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

you are (rightfully) bemoaning the result of our two party system mixed with a quasi-engaged populace.

The two party system promotes, actually begs, for zero sum thinking. An example: as a libertarian, when we discuss political matters it never fails that the right will call me a liberal, and the left will call me a neocon. Because in this world of zero sum thinking, I am either/or.

The elected morons derive their inspiration and power from The People. You see how the entire internet talks to each other every day. Each and every day their staffers and pundits read the internet, probably using some aggregate apps to give high level, broad analysis, and they see a mandate by the populace to be as obstructive and childish as possible.

The result: we have a legislative branch that flat out refuses to do anything because they are being an embodiment of the environment on the internet. They know they can get away with petty name calling, and with refusing to cooperate just for the sake of cooperation. We elect them because they are suppose to provide political leadership in our once great nation. Instead, they roll in the mud with those they should be leading.

It'll only get worse. There is no will driving a reach across the aisle. And they are the only game in town. Political monopoly. We have 2 kids on the playground trading verbal jabs, reveling in their own little pedantic game of gotcha. Only this is on a national scale.
edit on 11/21/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

There is no broken immigration system. Just politicians who wont enforce the dam laws on the books already.

The only thing that is broken is the southern border and the way to lenient punishment for crossing the border illegally. Start shooting at them as they try to cross the river and they will stop trying. This is America not Mexico, Mexican politicians who while about us not taking in their own people can suck it. If they would learn how to run a country their own people would not try to come here. Mexicans will only try to turn America into the same run down disaster that is their own country.

Every time a Mexican buys a home around here within days they will have ten people if not more living in it with five cars in the front lawn. Thankfully the County still runs them out.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

one of the best ideas ive heard so far, but your right, it makes to much sense.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Scardy-cats. Hooray. Again the drums roll, (see chinless leader and pretend doctor, Mumbles McConnell.) Do nothing. Continue to do nothing. Election done, don't act. Legislative session, fend for the money of corporation. Ignore the people. Election time...? Bang the drums of drugs, gays, immigrants...Hooray!!! Elite belief, it is pathetic. The world is not ruled by politics, but people. Look around you. Quit being scared into stupidity.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: trumpet
Scardy-cats. Hooray. Again the drums roll, (see chinless leader and pretend doctor, Mumbles McConnell.) Do nothing. Continue to do nothing. Election done, don't act. Legislative session, fend for the money of corporation. Ignore the people. Election time...? Bang the drums of drugs, gays, immigrants...Hooray!!! Elite belief, it is pathetic. The world is not ruled by politics, but people. Look around you. Quit being scared into stupidity.

The Democrat Party as you know it is finished.

Obama can't even do anything right.

Time to pack bags of sand !!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: trumpet

The Democrat Party as you know it is finished.

(150 years behind the Republicans)

Obama can't even do anything right.

(Right is wrong. Applause Obama.)

Time to pack bags of sand !!!!

(Bush legacy? Week and late.)

Snark, Snark, Snark. Honestly.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

I sent you a reply earlier in the thread which you conveniently ignore

I dislike republicans as much as the next guy. But the simple fact of the matter is the left has been trying to make out like republicans are offering nothing across the isle when it's simply not true

There are over 400 on the desk of hary Reid and he has REFUSED to even look at them or present them for a vote

The simple fact is they have been trying and the democrats are stonewalling any input or ideas on how to resolve the issue other than THIS!

If you are going to make accusations repeatedly at least address and respond when the facts are presented to you

Just like how you conveniently forget about the "piecemeal" approach that Boehner wanted to take on the immigration bill that the senate passed?

That bill has been sitting in boehners desk for over 500 days and he refused to even bring it up for a vote

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
www.freerepublic.com... one more link talking about how the claim republicans cant defund the program may alegedly be false( i have no idea as to credibility of source it appears to be right leaning) but it and some of the comments are interesting

shamelessly stolen but re worded from the comments : and with the new EO for the 5 million illegals to get their stay of deportation they need to sign up and register....seems all it may take is public and often comments from republicans that any one on that list will be their priority to deport once they repeal the law/reverse its effect later on down the road as then they will know where every one is as they will be on a list and its easier to find people once they are on lists like this id imagine ,don't have to repeal it just get enough people to scared to sign up and be "on a list" that may later be used against them at a later date. shady? probably.ruthless? yeah but methinks it would be a highly effective tactic to implement barring other options.

Republicans won't be able to do anything to stop this.

This will be handled through USCIS which is self funded by application fees and biometrics fees, so even if the government shut down USCIS would continue to operate.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join