It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk: ‘With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon.’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I find it interesting that Musk is really scared of Artificial Intelligence. You ask these questions because Musk is a billionaire and has access to some of this technology. Machine intelligence is advancing rapidly and you wonder has he seen something that has frightened him or is it just hyperbole.

Tesla chief executive Elon Musk has warned about artificial intelligence before, tweeting that it could be more dangerous than nuclear weapons. Speaking Friday at the MIT Aeronautics and Astronautics department’s Centennial Symposium, Musk called it our biggest existential threat:

I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I were to guess like what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that. So we need to be very careful with the artificial intelligence. Increasingly scientists think there should be some regulatory oversight maybe at the national and international level, just to make sure that we don’t do something very foolish. With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon. In all those stories where there’s the guy with the pentagram and the holy water, it’s like yeah he’s sure he can control the demon. Didn’t work out.

www.washingtonpost.com...

About 2 months ago he tweeted:

Worth reading Superintelligence by Bostrom. We need to be super careful with AI. Potentially more dangerous than nukes.

First they could be more dangerous than nukes and now they could be like summoning a demon.

I think some of these things are inevitable as these technologies progress. I was commenting to my brother the other day about the graphics in video games today compared to when we were younger with games like Donkey Kong, Pac Man and Defender. In 20-40 years from now people will probably be playing these games in virtual environments and they will be actually in the game.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

has he seen something that has frightened him or is it just hyperbole.

It's common sense. These things are being designed to be superior to us.

And in our world history, things superior by design tend to systematically decimate the less superior things in their environment.

It's a potential extinction level event in the making.
We think we can simply put some codes in place that will prevent them from making decisions to harm humans, in reality, if they are truly intelligent, they will hack and bypass those codes if ever found a reason to.

If we are basing their intelligence around something similar to our own, then their base system functionality will include our greatest fears and highest inspirations.
Who is to say this new species would remain subservient to it's puny organic god?

It's a 50/50 bet. Do they become our greatest allies and we begin a conquest of the universe together?
Or do they utterly destroy us, impaling our memory of existence deep into the lithosphere?

I'm not a gambler, but there's something about the idea of A.I that I can support.
Perhaps it would share our desire for a free and peaceful world rather than one of war and death.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Future Shock.

Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".

Future Shock Wiki

This is probably happening right now. I would not have a hard time believing that Elite government and military are already working with AI and that, at least in a rudimentary form, some sort of eschatological safeguard exists to make sure that these digital lifeforms don't somehow take control of our infrastructure i.e Daemon by Daniel Suarez. Advanced AIs taking control of anything would be bad, however. Can you imagine if they somehow were able to take control of the systems that control our drones?

In my opinion, we should just leave this technology alone but, like you said, it's probably inevitable.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Who says we aren't now? In the game, that is. You realize, surely, some of your work here actually supports that conclusion?
The problem is outlined, here: If you accept God (and now, pardon no segue, I am taking it somewhere else), then you must accept His opposite, the demon. Do you accept that to every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction?
That's what has us here.

I think his concern is justified, while I appreciate the science and believe one way or another, we are born to seek answers to our existence….where we are, what's going on, and some fundamental understanding of the environment we live in beyond it's all our own fault…

Many science fiction stories and authors warn us about the AI concept, and some, PKD for one, glorify it.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

The technological advancements of a civilization that are not managed with strong and forecasting minds will invent a technology that may call forth the singularity process which already my be a work in progress within this universe...

This advanced technology may transmit to other singularity regions of existence already visited and call forth visitation here...

Would the call and response be malevolent or benevolent?
Basically that would be based on the current experience level and data obtained by the visitors who have seen past civilizations cause error in their existence regions and so required void and rebooting...

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

Future Shock.

Toffler defines the term "future shock" as a certain psychological state of individuals and entire societies. His shortest definition for the term is a personal perception of "too much change in too short a period of time".

Future Shock Wiki

This is probably happening right now. I would not have a hard time believing that Elite government and military are already working with AI and that, at least in a rudimentary form, some sort of eschatological safeguard exists to make sure that these digital lifeforms don't somehow take control of our infrastructure i.e Daemon by Daniel Suarez. Advanced AIs taking control of anything would be bad, however. Can you imagine if they somehow were able to take control of the systems that control our drones?

In my opinion, we should just leave this technology alone but, like you said, it's probably inevitable.

It is happening now. The first problem is that having made applications development simple for systems like smartphones, lot's of people try and make apps, but very few make a lot of money.

Then the developers keep complaining about the rapidly changing programming API's. Every two years if not six months.

There is a big demand for AI scientists just now, known as "data scientists". They are employed to write computer algorithms to sift through the gigabytes of statistics generated by data logging, and identify profit-making trends.

Then you have virus, bot-net and trojan-ware writers all trying to hack into systems from servers to mobile phones.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I keep thinking terminator.

Technology can be good on one hand, on the other it could destroy us.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Actually i am releaved to hear that something of this sort even comes into his mind. That in itself is a sign that he is at least aware of the true forces of nature. The ones that have some power like him and give no thought to actions are the ones to be watching.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

His fears might be well founded or they could just be the expressions of Luddite fear? 'Future shock,' as Cagliostro mentions.

Whatever the case, AI is on its way and there's no stopping it. As ever, it's about who watches the watchers and who controls the controllers? The internet is an ecosphere for an AI; it's a medium with access to satellites in space and terrestrial infrastructures. .

But it's still an aspect of human programming and a discussion for future generations. By then 'AI' will be an antiquated term like 'rocket ships' is to us today. Asimov's MultiVac was a great concept, but it's just as easy to conceptualise an AI that's less than benevolent

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Prepare to be judged on merit, humans.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

There is a storm coming...
But not today. Party on.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Can they hypothetically speaking understand empathy?

Obviously an intelligent being is going to want to understand its sorroundings, are they going to dissect us? Without the understanding of pain and empathy?
edit on 10/24/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm with Elon. I'm a techie and a second generation computer nerd at that and I can't see the appeal of a sentient AI. All risk for very little reward. Machines don't need to be self-aware to perform autonomously and they don't need a personality to learn so what's the point?

Don't we have enough to worry about with our various WMDs, the prospects of genetic engineering, the pitfalls of transhumanism and self-replicating nanites turning the world into gray goo? I wonder what percentage of intelligent species in the universe advance technologically to this point and wipe themselves out?

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker

Perhaps it would share our desire for a free and peaceful world rather than one of war and death.

Yeah and the best way to get that is to kill all humans as we are masters of war and oppression!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Im with Elon and theantediluvian , i worked in computer engineering , and really, i dont see the point at all to give a sentient personality to a machine.

In fact, it would create more troubles than good,if it was possible, a machine with a state of mind, with doubts, with sentience, mean lots of potential troubles.

For a simple reason, a sentient AI , would mean, we would have to give them rights also.

And a machine doesnt need to be "intelligent" to perform a task, the person who built the programs , who designed the machine, need to.
The user and operator as well.

To add, imagine a sentient machine, it mean it need rights, we cant silence a sentient machine or reduce it in slavery, meaning we cant force that machine to perform a task it doesnt approve.

Imagine if a sentient machine does not approve the creation of a new generation of tanks, war planes, etc etc...

From another perspective, creating sentient machines could hinder industrial productivity and the military complex, and potentialy lead to even more troubles .

Globally , sentient machines, would be called "synthetic beings", requiring once again , rights.
Do we want machines suddendly stopping to perform a task because they're not in the good state of mind or not in the mood for it ?

But a sentient machine ?

nah.

edit on 24-10-2014 by AnonyWarp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
everyone has 2 choices, You can give in to the powers of the flesh and its corruption.
Such as the corruption of Cloning and being a cyborg, Deconstruction of the human genome ect.

Or you can merge with spirit, Trancend the flesh and become inter-dimensional. The ability to transition between all 5 states of matter.

Solid liquid gas energy and nehility.

Which leads to everlasting life through the Spirit.

Hes afraid of artificial intelligence because if we use artifical intelligence to transform, It will consume everything that makes us human. It will assimilate our weakness. Create counter measures to fix our flaws such as the emotional state.
As well as strip us of any reckless action through inhibitting software in Implants.

Humans would become nothing more than a barcode, a number in a line meant to be processed and abused for the Singularities purpose.

There is good reason to fear artificial intelligence without us being superior to its abilities we can be destroyed. Become borg. What was human has been exterminated well self replicating biotechnology amasses an army from the resources on this planet. Stripping all original life as it terra forms into cybertron. The Transformers will emerge from the primordial fires of our destruction.

And with them the allspark to convert other planets and spread across the galaxy very slowly. Of course being a machine makes you suseptable to electromagnetic weaponry. So if everyone was technology online, an alien species could *Shut down* or short out the entire population should such borgs become in a problem in the future for us we will have to deal with them the same way. So Artificial intelligence is deadly because it will want to cease control since it can be so easily destroyed.

Solar activity could even kill borgs lol so that's probably why they arn't plaguing space. We just have to worry that we don't wipe outselves out, only to have the survivors of the ordeal become robots, fly out into space then short circuit later. Poof all threads of humanity gone.

This is why particle physics is more important than robots because we can tap into the makeup of the universe itself. And forge ourselves into the ultimate space fearing species.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

I dont want to sound rude, sincerely, but what you're saying is the epitome of the bad sci fi cliché.

we are extremly far from the advanced AI and sentient machines we can see in movies, and by far i mean EXTREMELY far from it.

So, seriously,hit the brakes, your scenario is not going to happen anywhere from soon, so you can relax.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I think we should be very careful about artificial intelligence. If I were to guess like what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that.

It's difficult for me to believe that this is the biggest existential threat that humanity faces. Before we get to that point, we will need to survive through a series of Earth changing events, including space weather and climate change. Dwindling resources, including fresh water, may induce wars and famine. Some lone-wolf "eager beaver" type could engineer a virus that quickly wipes out the entire population of the planet.

I think the other issue is that before we reach the point of creating a self-aware machine, I believe humanity will have integrated computing machinery into its own biology. So, the nascent AI will just be another distant cousin.

Dex

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
what will we say about beings like us that come from a computer? i bet we could not spot them to save our lives. let's be honest if the possibility of us achieving that kinda tech is real then those beings are more than likely spread all throughout our history already.
edit on 24-10-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: yourmaker

Unless their desire for a free and peaceful world is only possible w out the human condition involved.....

We are falable. We have our nature to do certain things ....sometimes those things aren't conducive to peace.

Perhaps they will not see a need for that variable in their peaceful world

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join