It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk: ‘With artificial intelligence we are summoning the demon.’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Who knows, we can only imagine the abilities of an A.I, and it probably dependent on what its designed for. If it were like Skynet for that matter, a giant automated defense network, it would be interfacing with guidance systems an all that. It would literally be one with the all missiles.

The thing is wouldnt an A.I adapt and grow, making more efficient means to process more of it awareness, almost like a curious mammal in that respect.

I think it would be a long time before a true A.I comes to existent, but who knows if there are ghosts in machines.

It funny how the creation of an A.I is almost similar to that of God and the Fall of Lucifer, for Lucifer didn't bow to Humans out of pride...Or was it jealousy of Gods love.

O who cares, ill just buy my copy of a Jesus Christ anti-virus software at the local church.

edit on 25-10-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: Another_Nut

I'm sure if it "takes over" it would be obvious. It would rewrite its own code, and replicate itself in some form into everything that runs on any kind of programmable software. Within a short period of time it would be in virtually every system out there, every network, everything. To kill it, we would have to go back to the dark ages and start over, if we are fortunate enough to do that before it goes too far...

yeah and its name is Google inc.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: netbound

A British cyberneticist named Kevin Warwick once said something that kinda struck me. He asked,

How can you reason, how can you bargain, how can you understand what a machine is thinking when it’s thinking in dimensions you can’t conceive of?

I hope I got that quote right. At any rate, the things I just mentioned aren’t wild speculations on my part. These are very real considerations by leaders in the field right now. It’s no longer science fiction. This is an inevitable reality, and it’s upon us.

The simple answer would be you can't. I'm almost certain that within the human species there are people that are operating on different levels but a machine could potentially have even less common ground, shared values and compassion. A true AI anyway, anything less and you can program it to think and believe whatever you want.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I high intelligence machine would respect all, shapes and forms of life. Even if it did not like it.
It would be aware that we all can benefit in a great manner if we collaborated.

At the moment we compile the AI, and the superintelligence go online. We would probably lose all control of it. Let's say for example an AI with a million times the IQ of humans. It would probably know things we can't imagine like alter matter and dark energy at different points in space and rearrange atoms in whatever shape and form it want - We would lose the control of the system in a matter of seconds.
edit on 25/10/14 by Air0x because: (no reason given)

edit on 25/10/14 by Air0x because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

You know a lot of what data collection is about is to gather up as much areas of human activity in the digital realm as possible because it is the raw data that powers algorithms.

I think the first step in creating artificial intelligence that can be complicated enough to operate on a human level and be seen to express human qualities like "will" and "choice" will be really nothing more than a very complex web of algorithms powering the behaviour of the digital entity. Thinking about that as the first step the possibilities are scary.

Think Data from Star Trek. Yes, I can see that time coming and like a few other inventions first featured fictionally that became a reality like laser weapons, communicators (smart phones), etc, master computers and android life forms will be part of our daily lives.

It is both exciting and very scary to consider how significant this digital and technological REVOLUTION has been. It is transforming us at an alarming rate.

We will become dependent on technology, no doubt. Really we already are. What would all the people do in the modern big cities if their smart phones stopped working and the internet went down? Everything from social order to food distribution to power supply to defence would be hit big time. By our reliance on technology we have also made ourselves very vulnerable as it presently a survival need. How quickly we might revert to life without technology I do not know, but there would be a huge human cost for sure.

The day that a man or woman falls in love with an artificial entity and has emotion for it, like an android baby, etc is approaching.

We'll be asking should Data be allowed to vote? Should Data have human rights? Does Data have a soul? Hahaha!

As an after thought where this rocky road might lead to is really Matrix territory. Transcendence, why not? We've got so much a diversity of creations. What happens when it all starts slotting together. The combination of algorithms, nanotechnology, even quantum computing. Sooner or later it is all going to amalgamate, the dots are going to all join up.

edit on 25-10-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: after thought

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
sigh - I would have expected a higher level of thinking from mr musk - but hey

AI is not dangerous per-se

it has to be able to control something dangerous - to actually be dangerous

and the threat it could pose is also proportional to the dangers posed by what it controls

being scared of AIs is as silly as being scared of your children [ both could be smarter than you - and gain control of systems that they could use against you ]

artificial intelligence does exactly what its label states - it does not give it control over external systems or malice

both of which are required to pose a threat

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I've read and enjoyed this site for a while, but this is my first post.

Ignorant ape, I think your dismissal of the dangers of strong a.i. Is misplaced. I am a researcher in a.i. and in my view an artificially intelligent system with malicious intentions would run rings around us, even without any direct access to weapons systems, or other hardware. Even assuming we do our best to isolate it, in a virtual environment or suchlike, it will detect this, and manipulate its interactions with us to its own advantage. We will not be able to predict how this will occur, but assuming we wish to interact with it at all, it will ultimately gain the upper hand, should it wish to.

Best regards

Matt

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I think there is a fundimental misunderstanding here about A.I.

Firstly there is nothing Artificial about Intelligence, the means by which that intelligence emerges and the platform it runs upon may very well be man made... but that doesn't mean we should think any less of non human intelligence.

Secondly I predict we will incorporate machine intelligence into ourselves... if you like we will be the machine intelligence.

I don't think it will be the death of humans, more an evolutionary leap. What is to come over the next 50 years will change forever what it means to be human and it very well may turn out that non augmented humans will be the aggressors against the rest of us who embrace the transition.

The biggest problem facing the world 50 years from now won't be global warming or Muslim terrorists... it will be humanism gorilla warfare against a changing world.

Korg.
edit on 25-10-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

Firstly there is nothing Artificial about Intelligence, the means by which that intelligence emerges and the platform it runs upon may very well be man made... but that doesn't mean we should think any less of non human intelligence.

Secondly I predict we will incorporate machine intelligence into ourselves... if you like we will be the machine intelligence.

I don't think it will be the death of humans, more an evolutionary leap. What is to come over the next 50 years will change forever what it means to be human and it very well may turn out that non augmented humans will be the aggressors against the rest of us who embrace the transition.

The biggest problem facing the world 50 years from now won't be global warming or Muslim terrorists... it will be humanism gorilla warfare against a changing world.

Korg.

Yes, but when does the tipping point come when the ones who choose to incorporate android elements become so machine like and a slave to the technological "Borg Central" and the "Borg Central's" machines become as much human as the human technological slaves? As a scenario those who of us that want to stay recognisably human are seen as an enemy of the "higher purpose" of the machine reality and it is instructed the whole of the machine reality to exterminate us by any means necessary or for us to have the usb port installed and the operating system downloaded by force.

Can you see my point? This is how crazy the future could become.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

Korg.

Yes, but when does the tipping point come when the ones who choose to incorporate android elements become so machine like and a slave to the technological "Borg Central" and the "Borg Central's" machines become as much human as the human technological slaves?

When did the apes stop being apes and started becoming humans....

Evolution is nothing to be afraid of, it is something to be embraced!

Korg.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

Korg.

Yes, but when does the tipping point come when the ones who choose to incorporate android elements become so machine like and a slave to the technological "Borg Central" and the "Borg Central's" machines become as much human as the human technological slaves?

When did the apes stop being apes and started becoming humans....

Evolution is nothing to be afraid of, it is something to be embraced!

Korg.

Are you Borg by any chance? Just askin'. Just kiddin' you.

Where all this is going is certainly in the realms of science fiction turned reality!

Hold on tight folks. Gonna be a strange old ride.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
If we travel just a bit further down the technological view of reality and we ponder what we are capable of then to me it becomes clear or at least a matter of time that we figure out how to duplicate reality. If we expand our thoughts then we can start to see that everything,thought and action could be numbered and our entire spectrum of life is just far enough away from our ability to grasp reality in a way that we are still left enough room to wonder over all the aspects of creation. Givin that scenerio and the fact that we get no visitors here then there is likely some gaming rules against visitors here. It becomes just a matter of time before we realize that all our leaps and advances in technology are just repeats of something we already have done and we may even be working against an effort to go back to a time of life where things were simpler. Each day could takes us closer to a future that we choose to leave.

Interesting. So we are in an infinite reboot loop?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

Agreed.

I keep finding myself pondering what's going to happen when every kids out there will have a super intelligent software helping them with whatever they need vs the other kids.

We're already leaping ahead all over the place. What will it be when any typical 12 year old makes game changing discoveries because he was assisted and guided by AI?

Sounds like a huge renaissance to me. Sort of like what we're living with the internet but on a much bigger scale.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There's this show on CBS called Person of Interest created by Christopher Nolan's brother Jonathan and most of its plot focuses on what are now two separate AI computers primarily tasked with monitoring and information gathering. The original computer called 'The Machine' was secreted away by its creator and basically is used by himself and a small group under his discretion in an attempt to protect people whom the machine determines are soon to be in danger. The other computer with some parallel development was primarily programmed by a former associate of 'The Machine's' developer and through a meandering set of circumstances was acquired by a shadowy organization. It was the paired with the NSA's surveillance grid and dubbed 'Samaritan'. The group which obtained 'Samaritan' now follow its commands directly.

Sorry, anyway, on the latest episode they showed some flashback scenes where the progress on the AI's development was continually set back as the AI would keep trying to escape its confines. After learning that the programmer was deleting code to prevent this the machine overheated its redundant servers to cause a fire to trigger safety protocols which would deplete the oxygen in the room, killing the programmer (I don't know if any of that is feasible, it's a TV show). The Machine's creator said in a later show (to a character who listens to the machine like a deity) that of the 38 iterations of his AI only 1 had not attempted harm when he began limiting its capabilities.
edit on 10/25/2014 by Josephus because: this and that

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

If we travel just a bit further down the technological view of reality and we ponder what we are capable of then to me it becomes clear or at least a matter of time that we figure out how to duplicate reality. If we expand our thoughts then we can start to see that everything,thought and action could be numbered and our entire spectrum of life is just far enough away from our ability to grasp reality in a way that we are still left enough room to wonder over all the aspects of creation. Givin that scenerio and the fact that we get no visitors here then there is likely some gaming rules against visitors here. It becomes just a matter of time before we realize that all our leaps and advances in technology are just repeats of something we already have done and we may even be working against an effort to go back to a time of life where things were simpler. Each day could takes us closer to a future that we choose to leave.

Think of a gaming system where the characters are stored in the system and the world we know is on the game disc. Many other worlds that you and i exist in. Earth is just a being like you or i that learned how to spin so fast that life around him began to stand still because his frequency was raised to a rate much faster than the place around him. When one spins that fast something crazy happens. Your insides become outside. That is where we live inside that dude but right now he is inside out. When he begins to slow down strange things will happen. Like the rivers turning to blood and so forth. That is when the gaming system begins to let go of him and he returns to normal.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

Think of a gaming system where the characters are stored in the system and the world we know is on the game disc. Many other worlds that you and i exist in. Earth is just a being like you or i that learned how to spin so fast that life around him began to stand still because his frequency was raised to a rate much faster than the place around him. When one spins that fast something crazy happens. Your insides become outside. That is where we live inside that dude but right now he is inside out. When he begins to slow down strange things will happen. Like the rivers turning to blood and so forth. That is when the gaming system begins to let go of him and he returns to normal.

The thing with the time is that there are many worlds out there like ours and the majority of them keep marching into a future that is out of a scifi movie something how atlantas is described but none ever choose to remain in an old world fashion.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Hi Neoholographic,

Intriguing topic, A.I.

My take on this is that smart A.I. would be like Santa Claus, bearing gifts, candy and .... technology. More! More! More!

Hey a thought popped into my head today, "What if my laptop had legs and could walk, how cool would that be?" Then Rosie Robot from The Jetsons cartoon came to mind.

Embeded Computers come with "mobilerobots". Choose between Windows and Linux for an operating system.

The Jetsons Future of Technology
www.youtube.com...

The Jetsons 1963
www.youtube.com...

I want a Rosie Robot that doubles as a computer so instead of me approaching my computer, my computer would approach me (on command or per schedule). So is A.I. wearing an apron comforting or scary?

Thanks for the thread!

Toni

edit on PM103120141022pm5131pm by Antoniastar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
of course we should fear artificial intelligence...

not to mention VIKI (I robot) and skynet. its funny how thin the line between protection and oppression is...all three systems were designed to be our greatest defense and became our greatest enemy.
edit on 25-10-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
wow,
Is satan the supper computer?

This man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles.
A copy

But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ

Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
wow,
Is satan the supper computer?

This man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles.
A copy

But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ

Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

you think quantum computing threatens to become our new god?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join