It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Here's the CDC's version of proper PPE use:

CDC EBOLA PPE POSTER.

Saying Spain did this wrong for those reasons is a LIE.
edit on 7-10-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: joho99
a reply to: soficrow

Annoying that they are still saying things like this.

The regional director of the WHO in Europe said Ebola would “most likely” spread but the continent was well prepared to control it.

In a story with evidence to the contrary.

I do not hold out much hope that they will be able to contain it if they have 100 to care for let alone 1000

I agree. ...Maybe if the outbreak wasn't covered up and denied when it first escaped from Kenema Hospital in Sierra Leone. Or if the world's wealthy nations had pitched in when Guinea reported their cases. Maybe it could have been stopped where it started. ....Now?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
How long until this zoonotic virus establishes itself in indigenous domestic and wildlife animal populations in continents other than Africa?
I have seen pigs, porcupines, dogs, bats and monkeys listed as carrier species.

edit on bu312014-10-07T09:41:00-05:0009America/ChicagoTue, 07 Oct 2014 09:41:00 -05009u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Annoying that they are still saying things like this.

The regional director of the WHO in Europe said Ebola would “most likely” spread but the continent was well prepared to control it.

In a story with evidence to the contrary.

I do not hold out much hope that they will be able to contain it if they have 100 to care for let alone 1000

I agree. ...Maybe if the outbreak wasn't covered up and denied when it first escaped from Kenema Hospital in Sierra Leone. Or if the world's wealthy nations had pitched in when Guinea reported their cases. Maybe it could have been stopped where it started. ....Now?

They tried. But tribal traditions concerning burying the dead, mistrust of government and NGOs, and the continuation of the practice of eating bush-meat prevailed. The bush-meat practice continued as a defiance, because their government wanted to tax the people for it, AFAIK.

Recently a group of seven journalists and NGO people went to W. Africa to educate and warn people of Ebola and how it spread... Were they thanked? No, they were killed and their bodies were dumped into a ditch somewhere.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

It's all relative. Compared to some diseases like measles and the flu, Ebola is hard to catch. But it's highly contagious compared to HIV/Aids. And the fact remains - Ebola is airborne - inefficiently so, but still airborne. Have the needed mutations for efficient airborne transmission already occurred? Don't know. Are inadequate training and improper equipment to blame for the secondary transmissions in Spain - at least partially, imho.

....I agree that we are not being told the whole truth. Given some peoples' propensity to panic, I can see why information is withheld. I don't agree, fundamentally, but I do see that mass panic prevented the epidemic from being stopped where it started when action needed to be taken immediately. Now, we will all pay for the delays. ....Karma? Justice? Or just biology?

But airborne Ebola that spreads best in low humidity and survives on surfaces for months in cold temperatures....

Challenges, Progress, and Opportunities: Proceedings of the Filovirus Medical Countermeasures Workshop

….The DoD seeks a trivalent filovirus vaccine that is effective against aerosol exposure and protective against filovirus disease for at least one year.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
How long until this zoonotic virus establishes itself in indigenous domestic and wildlife animal populations in continents other than Africa?
I have seen pigs, porcupines, dogs, bats and monkeys listed as carrier species.

Already done (see map). In Europe and North America? Have to wait and see. Hopefully, our cremation and burial practices will prevent it. Wouldn't count on that though, but I won't go into the prion hypothesis again.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MarkJS

Blaming the victims? Again? Sheesh. ....And stop with the bushmeat argument already - this epidemic has been spreading human-to-human from the getgo. Moreover, the evidence shows it's so-called industrial development that loosing these deadly viruses into human populations. So blame the Blood Diamond brokers. Not the tribespeople.

First Ebola, now Marburg. Here’s why deadly viruses are on the rise in Africa

….Why do these viruses seem to be flaring up more often? While it’s not yet clear where the Ugandan patient contracted Marburg, in general, this is likely happening because, as mining and agricultural industry push further into tropical forests, humans are coming into contact with infected animals much more frequently. Several Marburg outbreaks, for instance, have begun by infecting miners.

Forests are home to what are called the viruses’ “reservoir hosts,” the animal populations that harbor a virus in between human outbreaks but are immune to its symptoms. While Marburg hides out in fruit bats, other similar viruses thrive in rodent populations.

No one knows for certain where Ebola lies low in between epidemics, which makes it hard to anticipate where future outbreaks will occur. However, some research suggests that, like Marburg, fruit bats also incubate Ebola.

Bats are excellent at this because they hang out in huge colonies, packed tightly into caves, which makes it easy for the virus to spread among them. And the more a virus leaps from host to host, the greater the chance for it to mutate into a form even deadlier to humans. Scientists suspect that primates or monkeys are first infected with the virus after eating fruit tainted with urine or other bat fluids. They then pass the virus on to humans.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Spanish nurse’s Ebola infection blamed on substandard equipment
Staff at Madrid’s Carlos III hospital say protective suits do not meet WHO standards as second nurse undergoes tests for virus

Staff at the hospital where she worked told El País that the protective suits they were given did not meet World Health Organisation (WHO) standards, which specify that suits must be impermeable and include breathing apparatus.

www.theguardian.com...

If that is true, it explains how she caught it.

There are pictures now of staff protesting outside the hospital because they think they should have had better equipment according to DM.

Health workers protest outside La Paz Hospital, calling for Spain's health minister Ana Mato to resign after a Spanish nurse became the first person to contract Ebola outside of West Africa
It comes following claims the nurse, who has yet to be named, did not have the sufficient equipment required to tackle the highly contagious virus

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... .html#ixzz3FTLhdh00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 7-10-2014 by DrHammondStoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrHammondStoat

Staff at Madrid’s Carlos III hospital say protective suits do not meet WHO standards as second nurse undergoes tests for virus

Staff at the hospital where she worked told El País that the protective suits they were given did not meet World Health Organisation (WHO) standards, which specify that suits must be impermeable and include breathing apparatus.

www.theguardian.com...

There are pictures now of staff protesting outside the hospital because they think they should have had better equipment according to DM.

Health workers protest outside La Paz Hospital, calling for Spain's health minister Ana Mato to resign after a Spanish nurse became the first person to contract Ebola outside of West Africa
It comes following claims the nurse, who has yet to be named, did not have the sufficient equipment required to tackle the highly contagious virus

If that story is true, then Madrid might as well be a 3rd world city because this doesn't really speak very highly of their infectious disease protocol.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

People are usually the weakest security leak. This is a photo of the NBC cameraman with Ebola getting taken off the airplane in Nebraska and loaded into an ambulance:

There is a pretty wide range of PPE use in this photo!

The guys on the right don't seem to be wearing any PPE at all, and the guy with the Omaha Fire & Rescue shirt appears to be less than 3 feet from the patient. And I'm guessing from the shirt that he's probably going to be in the ambulance.

The person in the white suit doesn't appear to have any goggles or face shield and it looks like they are just wearing one of those paper-like face masks over nose and mouth.

The person in the yellow suit who is most visible appears to have a pretty complete PPE suit with a breathing apparatus. But it looks like the cowling of their hood is blowing up or wasn't pulled down (maybe there is an inner seal though?). And are they wearing gloves that are a funny color, or no gloves at all? Hard to be sure.

The patient may be in a white suit, it's hard to tell. But there's no visible negative pressure containment bubble or anything like that.

Of course in Texas county officials were going into the apartment Duncan was staying in without any PPE at all.

Contrast this with how Spain did it:

And yet still a nurse in Spain caught it.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

Thank you!

You are so on target here.

It is the lackadaisical way we as treating this extraordinarily dangerous pathogen That will allow it to gain a foot hold in America, with our "best Doctors and public health infrastructure in the world"

edit on 7-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: typos, hate this tiny phone keyboard

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TipTac

originally posted by: DrHammondStoat

www.theguardian.com...

If that story is true, then Madrid might as well be a 3rd world city because this doesn't really speak very highly of their infectious disease protocol.

No it doesn't. There will be some explaining to be done. Of course the question is were they just totally unprepared or did someone along the chain of command put people into this position on purpose. I'm on the fence at the moment.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ikonoklast

People are usually the weakest security leak. This is a photo of the NBC cameraman with Ebola getting taken off the airplane in Nebraska and loaded into an ambulance:

There is a pretty wide range of PPE use in this photo!

The guys on the right don't seem to be wearing any PPE at all, and the guy with the Omaha Fire & Rescue shirt appears to be less than 3 feet from the patient. And I'm guessing from the shirt that he's probably going to be in the ambulance.

The person in the white suit doesn't appear to have any goggles or face shield and it looks like they are just wearing one of those paper-like face masks over nose and mouth.

The person in the yellow suit who is most visible appears to have a pretty complete PPE suit with a breathing apparatus. But it looks like the cowling of their hood is blowing up or wasn't pulled down (maybe there is an inner seal though?). And are they wearing gloves that are a funny color, or no gloves at all? Hard to be sure.

The patient may be in a white suit, it's hard to tell. But there's no visible negative pressure containment bubble or anything like that.

I think it's the patient in the white suit, that's why his eyes are not covered. it could be argued that there's not much point covering his eyes if the two guys carrying him have the full gear on.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ikonoklast

'
~The guy you mention above is the patient! That's probably why he has no goggles on. There are no 'legs' on him that's how I figured that out.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DrHammondStoat

You just beat me to it.... you are lucky I had to go to the kitchen.

He is the patient!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain

A Spanish nurse who treated an Ebola victim in Madrid is suspected of being the first person to have contracted the virus outside Africa, Spanish media say. The nurse tested positive for Ebola in initial tests and doctors are awaiting final results, according to reports. She was a member of the team that treated Spanish priest Manuel Garcia, who died of Ebola on 25 September. Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

If this turns out to be accurate when they have 1 case to deal with then how will they deal with 100?

Another thing is how will this apply to the argument health workers in Africa caught it because of lack of equipment?

Sad but true and so it "officially" begins not only in one place outside of Africa, but in multiple places.

I can't say that I'm surprised but It just blows my mind that there is a potential for a global outbreak. This is getting really unpredictable now.

France might get it too by the end of the month :/ #

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What gets me is people are pushing of how theres nothing to worry about because its not "airborn" , repeating the line "its hard to catch"

Well from what I have read (and I could be wrong) Ebola and the common FLU are basically transmitted the same way....

yet we have how many people every year get the flu? You have to come in contact with their body fluids too , to contract the flu....

The difference is the flu doesnt kill 50% of the people it infects......

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I don't understand this. How does a nurse with protective gear, regardless of whether it didn't pass WHO requirements, get the Ebola virus but the girlfriend of our Dallas Ebola patient who slept with him on the same bed while he was ill doesn't show any symptoms?!!

Must be miraculous!
edit on 7-10-2014 by texasgirl because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
I don't understand this. How does a nurse with protective gear, regardless of whether it didn't pass WHO requirements, get the Ebola virus but the girlfriend of our Dallas Ebola patient who slept with him on the same bed while he was ill doesn't show any symptoms?!!

Must be miraculous!

She just might not be symptomatic yet........

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join