It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain

A Spanish nurse who treated an Ebola victim in Madrid is suspected of being the first person to have contracted the virus outside Africa, Spanish media say. The nurse tested positive for Ebola in initial tests and doctors are awaiting final results, according to reports. She was a member of the team that treated Spanish priest Manuel Garcia, who died of Ebola on 25 September. Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

If this turns out to be accurate when they have 1 case to deal with then how will they deal with 100?

Another thing is how will this apply to the argument health workers in Africa caught it because of lack of equipment?
edit on 6-10-2014 by joho99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

It's important to take note that the priest died on 9/25/14 and she is just now being diagnosed with contracting Ebola on 10/6/14. This is within the 21 day incubation period, but not near the early days as is the most common.

Duncan (the Texas case) came into contact with people after this date, so people who were exposed could still show up infected, as this case above was a nurse wearing protective gear that contracted the virus from the priest.

+14 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The implications of this are HUGE.

She was treating the spanish priest they brought over and was doing so in a 'western' hospital where they were taking every precaution know to man, and she still contracted the disease.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Uh boy...somebody was not following the rules when treating an ebola patient..

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Flags and stars but no comments, (I was typing while people commented above me, should have known that would happen) maybe people were expecting this to happen in Dallas 1st? I honestly think we are still in the time frame for this and waiting...
The Doctor she treated was aware of the disease he was fighting and probably took every precaution, yet still managed to get it and die from it, that was on September 25th. He was flown home on September 22nd and died on the 25. 11 days later this nurse tests positive.

The Spanish missionary who was flown home to Madrid from Sierra Leone after contracting the Ebola virus has died, according to hospital sources.

According to the Spanish news agency Efe, Manuel Garcia Viejo died from the disease at the Carlos III hospital in Madrid.

Viejo was a medical director of the Hospital Order of San Juan de Dios and was working in the western Sierra Leonean city of Lunsar when he caught the disease.

He was flown to Madrid in an isolation chamber by military plane and received by doctors in fully protective biohazard suits.

Viejo is the second Spanish priest to die of the Ebola virus in the space of a month, after Miguel Pajares died after being flown back to Spain from Liberia.

Like a poster said above, all precautions taken and still manage to contract, what the...what about those with no protective gear, this is not good at all.

edit on 10/6/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Apparently they used level 4 hazmat protocols

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It is getting to be more difficult to believe what the CDC says about modes of transmission with this virus.

They say it is not airborne, but there have been enough medical professionals get it now, and this time they don't have the previous excuse to fall back on... that it happened in Africa and they couldn't afford to have good equipment there.

This happened in Madrid.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If anyone reads Spanish
www.20minutos.es...

she had a week with fever, she went a few days back to her doctor and he said that wait a couple of days before going to ER

I saw the protocol for people exposed to the patients, they had to be controlled for 21 days measuring the temperature twice a day, but it seems she was allowed to roam free for a week with symptoms.

As i live in Spain now, and know how bad the health service is here i always though if it gets here it we would expand super fast, unless Africa here is cheap land transportation and open borders to France/Portugal, with many cities where people live more or less like sardines in a can, i hope im wrong

live update in spanish

first symptoms started Sept 30, just today she went to the hospital
edit on 6-10-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
That's extraordinary, I hope they can figure out why their hazmat containment systems failed. If it was a serious breach of protocol, I would have thought a w hole bunch of the healthcare workers who treated the guy would have come down with it by now, so it's probably something she did herself?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
So the woman just attended 2 times the priest, and the day after he dies she took vacations...

ward where the nurse currently is:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here's the thing - With Ebola it takes advantage of every opportunity you give it, so there is NO margin for error whatsoever. Any tiny lapse in your technique gives it an opportunity to infect you. Your aseptic technique has to be perfect every time or you put yourself at risk. You can know the protocols and say you are following the protocols, but if you are less than perfect at it, it can bite you in the butt. If someone else in the crew is less than perfect, that can bite you in the butt, too.

The only sure way to know is if you are sealed in a protective suit with it's own air supply.

Did they take those precautions with this Spanish priest? If not, then even the tiniest amount of fluid contact gives Ebola an opening.
edit on 6-10-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

and yet we have 4 family members still alive and in good health.

While taking care of a known infected patient.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

They are also inside the incubation window. What's you point?

edit on 6-10-2014 by ketsuko because: Why is there a _ instead of window?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
a reply to: ketsuko

and yet we have 4 family members still alive and in good health.

While taking care of a known infected patient.

I wonder if that is really the case. They were moved to a gated house in an isolated area. Maybe they've started showing symptoms?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
just wanted to add this tweet

Spanish health official: 30 health workers who attended Spanish Ebola priests are being monitored - @Reuters

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

My coworker told me this morning that she heard from a "source" that is supposedly reliable (take this with a HUGE grain of salt) that there is a pediatric ward in Dallas with four cases of Ebola right now.

I can't think that is true because if it is, it means they have a real stranglehold on the media as a whole and are totally lying to all of us at all levels.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It is worrying that this lady has caught the disease. It is possible that she made a mistake with procedures and that was how she got infected.

If it has mutated to becoming water borne or air borne I wonder if we would be told. It could cause a lot of panic if this is discovered.

The onus is on the west to find a cure and vaccine because we have the best medical services.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just saw the press conference of the Spanish health minister:

The 30 health workers currently monitored are the ones that attended both Spanish priest that were bring to the country.

The woman attended both, the last one she attend once while he was alive and she took care of the belongings after he died.

She, as all of the 30 monitored where monitored for fever twice a day, since sept 30 she presented mild fever, not high enough to diagnose ebola, during all this time she carried out normal living.

The suit she used was examined before and after she enter the priest room

the hospital where she currently is not the same as the priest, they just sealed the room where she is, no particular extra security

the hospital personnel does not know what is the protocol to treat ebola patients

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
People: The ghost in the proverbial shell wants this thing out there. See Tuskeegee Experiment for more information.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: texasgirl

My coworker told me this morning that she heard from a "source" that is supposedly reliable (take this with a HUGE grain of salt) that there is a pediatric ward in Dallas with four cases of Ebola right now.

I can't think that is true because if it is, it means they have a real stranglehold on the media as a whole and are totally lying to all of us at all levels.

The way this whole thing has been played out makes this a very real possibility. I hope other 'sources' come forward, too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join