It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Bank Of Scotland To Relocate To London If A " Yes " Vote.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Apparently you don't understand sovereignty? You should look it up, It was done in 1776, so why can't it be done now? Because a bunch of rich will people will be mad? Who cares, if the industry is necessary it will continue. Money is imaginary, stop giving it more value than it has.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
The Royal Bank Of Scotland will announce tomorrow that if Scotland votes yes to independence, they will move their HQ from Edinburgh to London.
What kind of madness is this. The Bank Of Scotland will be operating out of England. It has already been announced that Standard Life will be moving some of it's operations to England, and B.P. ans Shell are both considering their options is Scotland becomes independent.
Mr Salmond take note, the chickens are coming home to roost.

It's not that straightforward. The move would be as much motivated by legal requirements as faith (or lack thereof) in the Scottish Economy. The RBS is required to be based in the country in which is does the most business - which is England, not Scotland. LLoyds (who own the Bank of Scotland) have the same problem as the majority of their banking is with English clients, though I believe they may keep the BoS based in Scotland and treat it as a foreign subsidiary.

Another significant danger for any bank is access to a lender of last resort - in other words, whether the country they are based in has a central bank that can loan them emergency money to keep them afloat if things go wrong. As it stands, it is not clear whether Scotland would be in a position to offer that.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25

Apparently you don't understand sovereignty? You should look it up, It was done in 1776, so why can't it be done now? Because a bunch of rich will people will be mad? Who cares, if the industry is necessary it will continue. Money is imaginary, stop giving it more value than it has.

This isn't 1776. The situation is totally different from that time! We aren't dealing with two places that are separated by thousand miles of ocean, we're talking about two places that are not only connected but which have been joined by intimate constitutional arrangements for the past 300 years. This isn't simple, it's horrifically complicated! Fer flips sake people, get a grip on how complicated this is!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: sacgamer25
a reply to: MrSpad

They have oil, they will be good no matter what they do. They could create thier own currency, someone will trade with them. It's not complicated, why does everyone think that people can't survive apart from the world banking system?

There's a graph that shows that oil only lasts for another six years.

Unfortunately, if you are a tech worker, you need a big salary to keep your skills up to date, afford a good school for your children. The banks basically own all the housing and rent it out using mortgages.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

It's just your freedom.

The Scots are currently as 'free' as any other nationality on earth - do you believe that they are somehow a subjugated and downtrodden people?

The only people who are scared of free Scots are the English

I don't know a single English person who is 'scared of free Scots' - care to explain exactly what you mean by that and how you came to believe such nonsense?

Are you sure? You talk just like one.

And how do English talk?
In what way is it different to anyone else who speaks the English language?

Scotland would be better off in the EU,.....

Scotland is already in the EU.....whether an independent Scotland would be allowed to remain in the EU is open to much debate.
I suspect they'd be allowed to....but at a price.

Scotland may rid itself of Westminster but may find that Brussels may demand a level of control which Scotland has previously been free of due to it being a part of the UK.
As rUK moves further away from the EU an independent Scotland may just find itself subject to more and more of its dictates.

The people who insist on remaining loyal to the crown can move to England.

Salmond wants to keep Liz as Head Of State.....that means 'remaining loyal to the crown'.

Many Scots already live in rUK and yes, we would welcome any of them here....because they are also British.

I know the queen and the English would be ever so happy about that ... and are waiting with open arms.

And what is wrong with that?

Deny ignorance?
More like wallow in it.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I am Cymraeg. So I hate the fecking English.

That is incredibly disappointing....I really thought much better of you.

Why is it deemed acceptable for people to openly state such bigotry?
If I was to state; 'I hate the Welsh' or Scottish or any other nationality I'd rightly be condemned as a typical arrogant English bigot....but apparently the same rules don't apply to 'the English'.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

some people should not have free speech

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Scotland is already in the EU.....whether an independent Scotland would be allowed to remain in the EU is open to much debate.

Scotland may rid itself of Westminster but may find that Brussels may demand a level of control which Scotland has previously been free of due to it being a part of the UK.
As rUK moves further away from the EU an independent Scotland may just find itself subject to more and more of its dictates.

The odds are stacked against Scotland entering the EU at the moment and I would be, frankly, astounded if it happened before the oil and currency issues were settled. Up until that point, it will be very difficult to establish with any confidence whether they are a viable self-sustaining state or another Greece waiting to happen. I'm sure Germany will be very interested to know how the Scots plan to pay the bills when the oil finally runs out.

Not only that, but there are some existing members struggling with their own separatist issues (Spain, for example) who might prefer to see Scotland dealt with harshly to dissuade others.

You make a good point about EU control, as well. The UK has been able to negotiate a rather odd one-foot-in-one-foot-out deal with the EU and Scotland has been protected from some of the worst excesses. I would find it incredibly hard to believe that Scotland would be able to negotiate any kind of similar deal. If the EU allowed them in, Scotland will be getting the whole raw experience, not just the filtered version that the UK has managed to maintain.

Of course, that rather depends on whether you think full-on surrender of sovereignty to the EU is a "bad thing". I'm not really convinced that Salmond wouldn't happily hand over the keys to the kingdom if it gave him the chance to blame someone else if things went wrong. "It's not my fault, it's Westminster!" becomes "It's not my fault, it's Brussels!"

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Until you realize the people have the power, not the bankers, then no matter what happens the people are screwed. The money is only complicated because you believe the lies coming from the one's who have all the money.

Your so worried about debt to bankers, it's not complicated eliminate all debt, keep the oil for yourself and rebuild from within. If the rest of the world won't help, they will be another Iceland. Everything will be fine.

Why anyone still believes in the current economic structure is beyond me. If you can't understand the prosperity of a nation without debt, then you can't understand prosperity.

Freedom from debt, is the greatest freedom any nation could fight for.

I would go back to living like Avatar to let go of debt, we don't need the scrap corporations make, nor do we need to allow private bankers to keep bankrupting society.

edit on 10-9-2014 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

You make a good point about EU control, as well. The UK has been able to negotiate a rather odd one-foot-in-one-foot-out deal with the EU and Scotland has been protected from some of the worst excesses. I would find it incredibly hard to believe that Scotland would be able to negotiate any kind of similar deal. If the EU allowed them in, Scotland will be getting the whole raw experience, not just the filtered version that the UK has managed to maintain.

Depending on your viewpoint, the worst excesses have been an open immigration policy which has driven down salaries for many tech jobs to the point that only people willing to share four to an apartment will take them.

Then we have the EU telling us that refuse collection services must be reduced to fortnightly or even monthly in order to make the population aware of how much waste they are generating.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
A draft constitution has already been published.
Scotland has no intention of guard stations at the border if ruk wants them that is up to them
Keep the queen until a democratic Scottish government decides other wise.
Maritime border in line with established legal principles likewise ownership of oil.
Share of bank of England's currency reserve or off set against debt share.
Debt share depends on division of assets. The more stuff rUK wants to keep to itself the less debt Scotland gets.
Did I miss any?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
The Royal Bank Of Scotland will announce tomorrow that if Scotland votes yes to independence, they will move their HQ from Edinburgh to London.
What kind of madness is this. The Bank Of Scotland will be operating out of England. It has already been announced that Standard Life will be moving some of it's operations to England, and B.P. ans Shell are both considering their options is Scotland becomes independent.
Mr Salmond take note, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Well that myth was blown out the water this morning...RBS has no plans on moving jobs or it's Headquarters from Scotland..

What you have quoted was a bit of propaganda from a Treasury insider..ie...A Westminster bag of rats.

Watch this space for an update on more project fear lies.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Sorry remind me what this referendum is about again?

Seems to me a lot of coded anti-English racism. It's all very polarised and divisive. Scotland will never be the same again regardless of the outcome, although the Nationalists seem to be rolling on a lie, as in "everything will be better and if you challenge you are scaremongering".

It does not take Eric the Halfbrain to work out that the Nationalist vision is not obtainable. It's a pity that for the nationalists to get anywhere, they have to lie through their teeth!

Regards

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
What you have quoted was a bit of propaganda from a Treasury insider..ie...A Westminster bag of rats.

There is a point when you need to stop believing the reverse propaganda. Here's a press statement from RBS saying that they'll need to move stuff out of Scotland. www.rbs.com...

Regards

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
HOW have all the countries in this vid managed to survive since independance

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

a reply to: Snarl

The Scots are currently as 'free' as any other nationality on earth - do you believe that they are somehow a subjugated and downtrodden people?

Seriously? As free to make decisions like France, Germany, the USA...? How can a nation in political shackles ever be described as being free?

I don't know a single English person who is 'scared of free Scots' - care to explain exactly what you mean by that and how you came to believe such nonsense?

Um...David Cameron looked pretty scared yesterday at the prospect given he was talking only to an invited audience. Just turn on Sky or BBC news and listen to the absolute drivel coming from the anti independence propaganda machine. It's pure FEAR FEAR FEAR. It's just ridiculous!! This RBS thing is a prime example! It's not even unexpected! So the RBS shifts a head office to England. Big deal!

And how do English talk?
In what way is it different to anyone else who speaks the English language?

They are more negative than most. Especially when they have no right to vote and when they have no control over a situation.

Big deal. We are in the EU and must therefore meet out obligations for the privilege.

Salmond wants to keep Liz as Head Of State.....that means 'remaining loyal to the crown'.

Many Scots already live in rUK and yes, we would welcome any of them here....because they are also British.

I'm sure a friendly relationship will endure here. rUK including the monarchy and it's estates will obviously welcome and appreciate Scotlands economic wealth. An independent Scotland has the potential to become extremely wealthy. You may find it is the Scots who are welcoming people from the rUK with open arms, even more so than we do already.

Deny ignorance?
More like wallow in it.

Amazing. I shout this at Better Together and their propaganda puppets all day long.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

There is a point when you need to stop believing the reverse propaganda. Here's a press statement from RBS saying that they'll need to move stuff out of Scotland. www.rbs.com...

Regards

As i said, "Watch this space"....RBS sent out a memo to it's employees this morning stating the exact opposite of the " Nameless Treasury insider". Mr Salmond read it out on BBC Scotland.. lets see if BBC Scotland reports this all day like it has the nameless treasury insider statement. I wont hold my breath.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: helldiver
An independent Scotland has the potential to become extremely wealthy.

In your own words, and concisely, how has Scotland got the potential to become extremely rich? It sounds like one of those throw-away remarks which hide too many positive assumptions and ignore reality. Even the most generous of Nationalist-funded/supported oil speculations won't deliver extreme wealth.

All nations (including e.g. Zimbabwe) has the potential to become extremely rich.

Regards

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I still don't believe the 'Institutes and royalty' of this country will allow Scotland independence in fact I would not be surprised if the vote gets rigged to prevent this.

As an Englishman I would welcome Scotland to go independent because it would cut down our influence in the world and stop the English/Welsh/NI parliament meddling so much in the world. This is what its really about and nothing to do with Scotland's wish for independence.

The queen also won't give up her interests in Scotland and her purse would be drastically cut from public funds without the scottish contribution, so she will have to curb her expenditure and support maybe only two instead of four levels of would-be-kings.

Go Scotland Go! PS

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: helldiver
An independent Scotland has the potential to become extremely wealthy.

In your own words, and concisely, how has Scotland got the potential to become extremely rich? It sounds like one of those throw-away remarks which hide too many positive assumptions and ignore reality. Even the most generous of Nationalist-funded/supported oil speculations won't deliver extreme wealth.

All nations (including e.g. Zimbabwe) has the potential to become extremely rich.

Regards

By the way, here is the important part about that RBS statement:

"The vote on independence is a matter for the Scottish people. Scotland has been RBS's home since 1727. RBS intends to retain a significant level of its operations and employment in Scotland to support its customers there and the activities of the whole Bank."

The HQ would have to move, at least in the medium term, until the RBS and Lloyds situation was resolved. Scotland is not big enough for two such large banks.

Speaking of the size of Scotland and its potential wealth:

www.independent.co.uk...

Just an example.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join