It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Bank Of Scotland To Relocate To London If A " Yes " Vote.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
I still don't believe the 'Institutes and royalty' of this country will allow Scotland independence in fact I would not be surprised if the vote gets rigged to prevent this.

As an Englishman I would welcome Scotland to go independent because it would cut down our influence in the world and stop the English/Welsh/NI parliament meddling so much in the world. This is what its really about and nothing to do with Scotland's wish for independence.

The queen also won't give up her interests in Scotland and her purse would be drastically cut from public funds without the scottish contribution, so she will have to curb her expenditure and support maybe only two instead of four levels of would-be-kings.

Go Scotland Go! PS

I think this too. I never thought for a minute that the polls would become so close or that yes would have a chance against Westminster. That said, ive always thought that it would never be allowed to happen.

Dont quote me on this but i think that even if a yes vote was declared then Westminster could legally over rule it.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I am Cymraeg. So I hate the fecking English.

That is incredibly disappointing....I really thought much better of you.

Why is it deemed acceptable for people to openly state such bigotry?
If I was to state; 'I hate the Welsh' or Scottish or any other nationality I'd rightly be condemned as a typical arrogant English bigot....but apparently the same rules don't apply to 'the English'.

Apologies. I spoke in anger and also in beer.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: alldaylong
The Royal Bank Of Scotland will announce tomorrow that if Scotland votes yes to independence, they will move their HQ from Edinburgh to London.
What kind of madness is this. The Bank Of Scotland will be operating out of England. It has already been announced that Standard Life will be moving some of it's operations to England, and B.P. ans Shell are both considering their options is Scotland becomes independent.
Mr Salmond take note, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Well that myth was blown out the water this morning...RBS has no plans on moving jobs or it's Headquarters from Scotland..

What you have quoted was a bit of propaganda from a Treasury insider..ie...A Westminster bag of rats.

Watch this space for an update on more project fear lies.

Strange. RBS themselves are saying exactly that in their official press release.

Maybe those dastardly scallywags in Westminster hacked into the RBS website and posted the following fake press release this morning?

www.rbs.com... nse-to-press-speculation-on-re-domicile.html

As part of such contingency planning, RBS believes that it would be necessary to re-domicile the Bank’s holding company and its primary rated operating entity (The Royal Bank of Scotland plc) to England.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Propaganda mate. Any bad news is scaremongering.

I don't know why the nationalists don't just act honest and say that there will be a negative impact to independence. There may be positives too, but it is not going to be the easy ride to riches that the nationalists have convinced themselves and their supporters it will be.

Regards

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: alldaylong
The Royal Bank Of Scotland will announce tomorrow that if Scotland votes yes to independence, they will move their HQ from Edinburgh to London.
What kind of madness is this. The Bank Of Scotland will be operating out of England. It has already been announced that Standard Life will be moving some of it's operations to England, and B.P. ans Shell are both considering their options is Scotland becomes independent.
Mr Salmond take note, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Well that myth was blown out the water this morning...RBS has no plans on moving jobs or it's Headquarters from Scotland..

What you have quoted was a bit of propaganda from a Treasury insider..ie...A Westminster bag of rats.

Watch this space for an update on more project fear lies.

Strange. RBS themselves are saying exactly that in their official press release.

Maybe those dastardly scallywags in Westminster hacked into the RBS website and posted the following fake press release this morning?

www.rbs.com... nse-to-press-speculation-on-re-domicile.html

As part of such contingency planning, RBS believes that it would be necessary to re-domicile the Bank’s holding company and its primary rated operating entity (The Royal Bank of Scotland plc) to England.

And that would surprise you???
Trust me, I wouldn't put it by Westminster to plant a Nuclear bomb here then have the SAS's Andy McNab show up with knife clamped firmly between his teeth saving us all with 2 seconds too spare on the clock.
Then proclaiming to us all and the World...Hey, you wont have this level of service in a Independent Scotland.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Propaganda mate. Any bad news is scaremongering.

I don't know why the nationalists don't just act honest and say that there will be a negative impact to independence. There may be positives too, but it is not going to be the easy ride to riches that the nationalists have convinced themselves and their supporters it will be.

Regards

I'm sure we are all aware that we will have bad times as well as good...it's about being in control of your own destiny.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Why is everyone thinking that RBS leaving Scotland is a bad thing, it's not it's an excellent suggestion. The reason they don't want to stay here is because we wouldn't have the funding to bail them out in the short term.
The international credit rating agency Standard & Poor believe that ridding ourselves of toxic banks like RBS would actually benefit us.

AAA Rated Scotland

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Please take a read of this and you will see that Scotland does have the potential to be a wealthy nation.

Scottish Wealth

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

I am Cymraeg. So I hate the fecking English. But I don't have my eyes closed to the legal nightmare that would descend in the event of a 'Yes' vote.

So you hate a whole nationality? A whole country of people, most of whom you've never met.
What an incredibly disgraceful thing to say.
Xenophobic, racist garbage.
You can hate the political class or how things are done or hate many things for various reasons, but your statement is just awful and just shows how extremists really feel.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
On this actual issue, I feel much of this is scaremongering.
From what I've read the Westminster MPs didn't think the yes campaign would get this far and this much support so that's on them for underestimating.
I feel that if the Scots want to leave then they should and succeed or fail, at least they forged their own path.
We could do without the nastiness, bickering, racism and xenophobia being displayed by some on the Yes campaign.
I was reading how many are being verbally attacked, and insulted and called not Scottish if they want the Union to remain.
It's a shame that these debates and break-ups always being out the worst in people.
Ugly, fervent nationalism and chest beating.

Whatever happens, Good Luck Scotland!!
edit on 11-9-2014 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Just to be clear your source of the analysis is from Business for Scotland a pro "yes" group who habitually accuse the "no" camp of scaremongering. Whether their analysis is correct, or not, it would hardly say anything in agreement with the "no" camp.

Also, in the rather dry and analytics report from S&P there is no mention of "toxic banks", so that bit is made up. Plus, the S&P report comes with so many positive assumptions which seem somewhat out of reach at the moment, including...

A successful agreement on Scotland's membership of a monetary union negotiated with either the U.K. or the eurozone

S&P Report opens a PDF

Regards

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

I am Cymraeg. So I hate the fecking English. But I don't have my eyes closed to the legal nightmare that would descend in the event of a 'Yes' vote.

So you hate a whole nationality? A whole country of people, most of whom you've never met.
What an incredibly disgraceful thing to say.
Xenophobic, racist garbage.
You can hate the political class or how things are done or hate many things for various reasons, but your statement is just awful and just shows how extremists really feel.

I have apologised for my post. It was said in haste, and in anger and also in beer.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Well I'm making my way through the thread so didn't see it yet.
I guess you don't really hate the English then, was just the beer talking.
Often the truth comes out after a drink, so maybe that's how you feel and maybe it's not.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
It's all a mute point anyway...RBS are only complying with EU rules. in the event of independence they will have to register a London Address as that's where they do most Business..No Jobs will be lost in Scotland because of Independence..BT are just using this as another wee stick to beat the Yes Campaign with.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

It's all a mute point anyway...RBS are only complying with EU rules. in the event of independence they will have to register a London Address as that's where they do most Business..No Jobs will be lost in Scotland because of Independence..BT are just using this as another wee stick to beat the Yes Campaign with.

But if Scotland says yes then it won't be in the EU anymore - it will have to reapply. And as it needs a unanimous agreement from the EU member states I don't think that it will get back in any time soon - Belgium has said that it will oppose it and I doubt that the Spanish would agree either.
edit on 11-9-2014 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

No the toxic banks part was my opinion on the state of RBS and nothing to do with the article and I know Business for Scotland are backers of the Yes campaign but facts are facts.

successful agreement on Scotland's membership of a monetary union negotiated with either the U.K. or the eurozone

From the S&P report.

Nevertheless, with a GDP (including North Sea oil output) only slightly below that of New Zealand, a developed economy and developed financial system, there is no fundamental reason why Scotland could not successfully float a currency.

So according to S&P even if we didn't get the currency union we would still be a viable and strong economy with a AA- or better credit worthiness if we floated our own currency.

I personally would rather have a pegged currency rather than a currency union because it would mean that the banksters would most likely leave our economy, yes i am aware that the financial services industry is about 12% of our GDP but I would minimise the risk from future bank crises.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Apologies.

Apology accepted.

I was just so surprised to read that from someone who's opinion I have to come to respect and who is usually so reasoned.

I spoke in anger and also in beer.

I try my best to refrain from posting after having a few, which I do quite 'regularly'......of course I fail quite frequently and have made a complete arse of myself on more than one occasion.

To say that I like beer would be a massive understatement - but beer and ATS can be a bad mixture.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Lol, yes, I see your point! It didn't help that I was also horribly tired.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
So according to S&P even if we didn't get the currency union we would still be a viable and strong economy with a AA- or better credit worthiness if we floated our own currency.

However, the "yes" campaign seem to be vesting all their energy into saying they will get a currency union. Of course, this has been denied by rest of the UK. If Scotland decide to leave the rest of the UK will do what is right for them and a currency union may not be the best option, so Scotland will have failed one of the key assumptions on credit worthiness. In other words, the "no" camp are right to point this out and it's not scaremongering. It's fact.

To facts based on different assumptions.

It would be in the interests of the rUK not to compromise their well being to support an newly independent Scotland. Why support the competition?

Regards

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

The odds are stacked against Scotland entering the EU at the moment and I would be, frankly, astounded if it happened before the oil and currency issues were settled.

I'm sure that if Scotland wants to remain in the EU, which isn't a foregone conclusion, then they will be allowed to.
There will be plenty of time after the vote and before independence takes effect for all the details to be thrashed out, but the price the EU exacts will be very high.
I can't imagine the EU permitting membership without the Euro.
And I'm sure there will be many other conditions attached in order to deter other regions within EU states seeking full independence.
Nearly every constituent nation in the EU has separatist movements - the EU seeks full political and economic union, a European superstate governed from Brussels - not my idea of independence.

I get the impression that many within the 'Yes' camp believe that the details of independence will all be settled in their favour - life simply doesn't work that way.

But as you say I'm sure they will find some other convenient scapegoat should everything go tits up for them, (I sincerely hope it won't but it's naivety to the extreme to believe there is no chance of it going pear shaped).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join