It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

That is your opinion, and your opinion only. Yes, crap wages equal for the most part crap employees. You want to live a better life? Then better yourself. Yea, I know that is a blanket statement, but it applies here.

Well, that is your opinion, and your opinion only.

People bitch about how fast food worker's shouldn't earn $15 p/h but conveniently forget how wages have not kept up with inflation. Many stupid and uninformed people are adamant that poverty wages are necessary in order to keep people working harder - They're not. People work whether or not they're being paid properly or not.
If you're consistently unable to live to an appropriate standard then i'll tell you straight, that person is not going to work harder for a company that is only willing to give a damn about them IF they take a step into management.

In the last 20 year's industries have been monopolized by big companies. This has equated to big business and high profit margins. Even in the so-called "recession" big corporation's were still announcing RECORD profits after tax (At least here in the UK)
Taking into mind that the basic need's of a human being are now sold to them at a much higher cost than in previous decades, Examples include Housing, Gas & Electric, Water and Food - The cost of all these necessities have risen, but the wage's for an unskilled individual has not.

Who are we blaming for the rise of living cost's and poor wages?

The unskilled worker's themselves /face palm.

The burger flipper did not create this economy, they are merely a pawn within it. Those people on welfare are not the blame for a shrinking middle-class. The middle classes are now panicking because they're starting to realize, in the modern global economy, full of very poor people, they are just as disposable are your average burger flipper.

You see, the only people winning here remain's to be the top 1%.
If they're not paying their burger flipper's $15 p/h, they're using the money they've saved to buy off more politician's to help deregulate the economy that little but more so they can get that little bit more of profit.

Its basic Trickle-Up economics.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
There are loads of COLLEGE EDUCATED folks who can't find work right now, if you raise the minimum to $15 for fast food workers you will see these college educated workers taking the jobs from these uneducated/low skilled workers, which will lead to all these uneducated workers not being able to find work... If they raise the minimum to that level, watch fast food chains replacing their current workers with educated workers...
edit on 6-9-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

originally posted by: doobydoll

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: doobydoll

Explain to me why someone who asks "Want fries with that?" for a living should make more than I currently do? I am a proofreader and editor. Now, I will grant that the bulk of my skills I learned in my basic education years with a few of them coming from my degree, but I'll bet that you could plug me into the fast food assembly line and have me up and running in a day while you couldn't take very many of those fast food workers, even degreed ones, and put them in my shoes.

But let's repeat this song and dance about how they deserve more per hour than I make.

So leave them claiming benefits then.

They either get a living wage from their employer who profits from their work, or from the taxpayer.

I take it you're happy that your taxes continue to be paid out to top up poverty wages?

I think it's sad that we've been conditioned to think that the world needs to work in 1 of 2 ways, either the employer pays them more or the taxpayers will be burdened with covering what the employer is not paying them... How about NO MORE handouts.. How about, if you're not making enough from McDonald's or some other fast food place you search for a new job that pays better or you try to increase your knowledge in some other fields so you can earn a better living. I'm not happy that my taxes are going to people who don't know how to earn a decent living wage, and sorry working fast food should never be considered that. There is no reason why a fast food chain should pay a person $15 per hour for taking an order (that honestly a computer could do, kinda like automatic checkouts at the grocery store)... If you don't like the field you work in, then find something new... I'm sick of people expecting handouts from the Govt. and taxpayers, I'm sick of using my hard earned money to support those who can't figure out how to build a decent life for themselves...

Abolish benefits? Ain't gonna happen. So, if you don't want bosses to pay their workers then taxpayers will have to carry on doing it. It's as simple as that.

If you're sick of your taxes being soaked up in top-up payouts, then force the bosses to pay it instead.

I never wanted a 'career', I just wanted a job. I wanted to just go to work, do a good day's work for fair pay, and go home to spend time with my family, like it used to be when I was younger. Nothing more nothing less. Working a manual job doesn't mean I'm no good and deserve poverty and destitution for working that job. I don't want to have to work 3 or 4 jobs just to survive and never have any time for my precious family. I won't do it.

I agree that taxpayers shouldn't be stumping up the difference that workers need to live, I think bosses should be paying it seeing as they're the ones profiting from their labour.

Why do you think a hard-working man shouldn't be paid fairly by his boss?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
You forgot something essential:

"The average fast-food restaurant would have to raise prices 38 to cover labor costs .... TO MAKE THE SAME PROFIT THEY ARE MAKING NOW"

Here is a simple solution:

Rise minimum wage, and actually voluntarily accept LESS profit but keep prices the same.

Edit: TTTP already pointed that out.

So..if you're rooting AGAINST minimum wage, your agenda is at the side of the corporates (WHY? Are they not making enough profit yet? Why side with the 1%?) rather than with the millions who work themselves silly for ****wages in this, your country.
edit on 9/6/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Why is it that those are the only two choices? If you don't like how much your employer is paying you, THEN LEAVE... No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to work there. And if you put yourself in a tough situation with children, a mortgage, credit card bills, etc. that is you OWN FAULT.. Or maybe you should try to educate yourself so you aren't dependent on a fast food job.

It's sad that we have so many pathetic folks in the world who feel entitled to higher wages when they aren't deserving of it. I worked my ass off in college, paying my OWN way through to be able to give my own self a good life. I worked my ass off to graduate with a 3.948 and Summa Cum Laude honors. It is possible to make a better life for yourself where you aren't dependent on others, but it TAKES WORK...

It's not the employers responsibility, nor should it be the taxpayers...

"a hard working man" sorry, taking orders at McDonald's or flipping burgers is not hard work.....

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I cant see that to be a bad thing, the idiots get a wage increase for the time being while America to realize they dont want to pay a higher price for JUNK food that is ultimately slowly killing the world anyway. Then the loss of sales will backfire and the layoffs will begin.. Hopefully forcing the garbage fast food industries to close of which are responsible for the rise in health care costs to begin with.
edit on 6-9-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Why is it that those are the only two choices? If you don't like how much your employer is paying you, THEN LEAVE... No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to work there. And if you put yourself in a tough situation with children, a mortgage, credit card bills, etc. that is you OWN FAULT.. Or maybe you should try to educate yourself so you aren't dependent on a fast food job.

It's sad that we have so many pathetic folks in the world who feel entitled to higher wages when they aren't deserving of it. I worked my ass off in college, paying my OWN way through to be able to give my own self a good life. I worked my ass off to graduate with a 3.948 and Summa Cum Laude honors. It is possible to make a better life for yourself where you aren't dependent on others, but it TAKES WORK...

"a hard working man" sorry, taking orders at McDonald's or flipping burgers is not hard work.....

Is that degree hung on your wall or do you carry it around with you to show people how you earned the right to look down on others?

You're clearly someone who just does not understand the struggles of normal human being's. To even suggest that a degree will solve all your financial problems makes me belly laugh. Do you know how many graduates i know that are working for the minimum wage?

Lean closer and let me tell you the secret...

There are no well paying jobs left. Not even for graduates.

Dont blame the people struggling, blame the companies for wanting more profit than their morally entitled to.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Yes, I am proud of my degree and the hard work I put into it. I also never want to be dependent on anyone but myself. Call it self pride, call it whatever you want. I came from poverty, I understand what it's like to watch my parents scrape together a couple dollars to buy my family hot dogs for a meal and not being able to afford the buns. I've watched my family lose their home because they couldn't afford the mortgage. I've seen, I've experienced it all, but instead of being accepting to that lifestyle I decided to make sure I never lived through that again... People treat rough situations differently, I used it as motivation. Motivation to never fail...

You say there are no good jobs out there, which I belly laugh at.... I get offered jobs weekly from recruiters, jobs that pay well over 6 figures, so I beg to differ with you... And you're right, a college degree doesnt guarantee you anything, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get an interview or job when you have one. News flash, most employers today won't even look at uneducated folks, so having a degree is typically a way to get at least a call back... Now, what you do with that call back is all up to you...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
No. It's about what the greedy have done to cause human suffering on a large scale. It's NOT the 'Ma & Pa' store owners. They're being ripped off too. It goes just a little bit higher. But the really rich greedy ones will be on the first flight out. They know the masses will be coming to pry their bunkers open.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Okay, so lets say they do raise minimum wage to $15. I think McDonalds/ Burger king/ Walmart, all the big corporations would probably figure it out. More automation, increased prices, less staff etc. But what about the 1000s of small businesses? The ones where the margins are too small? How many of them will close their doors because they now can’t afford to pay their workers and pay their bills.

So the blow back could be more corporations less small business.

And to all suggesting that companies should just voluntarily take less profit, I don’t think you know how all this works. Where ever you work (If you have a job), your job is to make/save your company/organization money. Their goal is to make more money than they spend.

If that wasn’t their job they would be a non-profit organization.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Richn777
So the blow back could be more corporations less small business.

Not 'could'...'will'.

The corporations have the pockets to adapt on the fly, and on demand. They will automate and streamline, and the US will just have an additional unemployed.

Mom and pop shops will be lined up at the banks, trying to get loans to do the same...unless they are fortunate enough to have a couple million lying around.

End of day, unemployment will be up, cost will be up, but...your burger will actually come as ordered, and minimum wage will be 'higher'.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Sitting at a desk doodling on blotting paper and answering phones all day ain't hard work either, and isn't deserving of telephone-number salaries just because they stayed at school a couple extra years, but they get it.

Most jobs are minimum pay nowdays in case you hadn't noticed, not just fast-food places - nursing assistants, stock-control supervisors, team-leaders, etc, all work hard and deserve a wage they are able to live on. Yet they don't get it.

You can't tell me about hard work, I've worked hard all my life since I left school. I bet I could out-work you or any pen-pusher on a physically-demanding job any day of the week.
edit on 6-9-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

LOL, and you are basing this from what exactly? Because you've seen me work in my field? I rose up to one of the top workers in my company within the first 2 years due to the hard work I put in. First one in and last one out mentality helped propel me to the top, but I guess you are the most hard working deserving man around who is likely "unlucky"...

Corporate jobs are not easy, btw... Doodling and blotting paper and answering phones, is that really what you think corporate america is like? If so, you are sadly mistaken... Being in any sort of business development job today is highly demanding and extremely difficult, which is why companies pay people like me so well...

Maybe you can out-work me or any pen-pusher on a physically demanding job, but I never went to school for manual labor. And I'm sure I would destroy you in all aspects of sales and business development, so big whoop, I'm doing great, I worked my ass off to be doing great and it FEELS great... Especially not crying about wages or being dependent on the Govt. to put food on my table...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll
Most jobs are minimum pay nowdays

You have a source for that? I might believe that most jobs have starting salaries below $15 an hour. But I think I want the nursing assistant who is drawing my blood paid a little more than the guy who makes my subway sandwich.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The FHFA housing index which is a measure of home affordability is currently in one of the most affordable periods of history.

www.macrotrends.net...

Here in the US we have an aging population and historically aging populations produce deflation in national economies.
The 20 year slump in Japan is a good example of that.

Could the PTB trying to offset that usual economic trend by artificially raising minimum wages?

The fast food chain owners know they will lose income but are they willing to make the sacrifice to boost the economy?

Maybe this will be discussed after dinner.

www.ftc.gov...
edit on 6-9-2014 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Yes, I am proud of my degree and the hard work I put into it. I also never want to be dependent on anyone but myself. Call it self pride, call it whatever you want. I came from poverty, I understand what it's like to watch my parents scrape together a couple dollars to buy my family hot dogs for a meal and not being able to afford the buns. I've watched my family lose their home because they couldn't afford the mortgage. I've seen, I've experienced it all, but instead of being accepting to that lifestyle I decided to make sure I never lived through that again... People treat rough situations differently, I used it as motivation. Motivation to never fail...

You say there are no good jobs out there, which I belly laugh at.... I get offered jobs weekly from recruiters, jobs that pay well over 6 figures, so I beg to differ with you... And you're right, a college degree doesnt guarantee you anything, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get an interview or job when you have one. News flash, most employers today won't even look at uneducated folks, so having a degree is typically a way to get at least a call back... Now, what you do with that call back is all up to you...

Good for you and your success - The world is not so kind for millions of hard working people. Perhaps that is what you fail to understand. I work hard, when my employer is in profit at the end of the tax year why should the CEO get a bonus and not me?

I have no delusions about the economy and my place within it. To expect me to accept that we should have people who work their asses off and cant even afford to live at the end of the day is just disgusting. Call me entitled but if someone work's 40hrs a week and cannot put a roof over their heads, have 3 square healthy meals, warmth and even, dare i say, disposable income to go into savings and such, then that's a sure sign the economy is not working.

Work is work. Some time's someone else's labour is worth more than your's, that's no excuse to pay poverty wages and expect the government/charities to pick up the tab. But excuse me because i want to live in a fairer world.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well, I don't think the CEO/Executive team should receive bonuses when their workers (who are the reason for the profits) are given nothing. Thankfully today, bonuses and salary requirements are usually negotiated before you ever take the job, so you know if/when/how a bonus will be coming your way. I also understand that the gap between executives and their workers has been widened a # load over the last 30-40 years. Is it right? Hard to say..

I will continue this chat with you guys later, but need to run out for a little bit... Good discussion!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I will state this again, as no one seems to address it. Over the last 40 years, massive growth in GDP. However, middle class and poor have had declining standard of living/portion of the growth. Top 1% has taken all the share of growth and more. How is this ok?? As a nurse, eight-ten years ago you STARTED at close to 25/hour, ultrasound techs too. Now they start at hospitals by me, lucky to get 19/hr. And those dollars are worth much less than 10 years ago too, so its more of a drop than it seems. How is this ok? Across the board, the working class' pay is DECLINING, while wall street posts record gains. How is this ok?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Dunno if it's been said but

Good

The price of fresh locAl organic wouldn't be out of reach

reply to: TDawgRex

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

There are loads of COLLEGE EDUCATED folks who can't find work right now, if you raise the minimum to $15 for fast food workers you will see these college educated workers taking the jobs from these uneducated/low skilled workers, which will lead to all these uneducated workers not being able to find work... If they raise the minimum to that level, watch fast food chains replacing their current workers with educated workers...

Many college grads these days get their degree in areas that really do not equate to an actual job. Our colleges are one of the biggest scams in the country. Get a degree, any degree and get a 100k job...ya right. The whole trade school, internship skills programs are dead, but a plumber can make 100k much easier than a generic_01 degree college grad can.

Everyone should work if abled, degree or non-degree. If one is looking at fast food or Wal-Mart as their career path maybe they should rethink it. Might as well add in sales clerk or cashier etc all the same. Low skills needed, no education needed, so the pool to pick people from is huge. If you can come to work on time and not be drunk or high you are a good fit. If I was 25 or older and that is about all the credentials I needed for my job I really should not complain and say, hey I have a family I need 15 per hour minimum.

If I was 25 or older with a master degree and 5 or more years experience and I was working at Burger King because that is the only job I can get, I WOULD MOVE! I know it is hard times for many, but if you are trying to get water from a dry well you will only get mud, and so if you choose to drink mud and not put the effort into another well someplace else then that is your own fault.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join