It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:27 PM
a reply to: Answer

Yes but heaven forbid you point out the obvious, the current system is way broken. We all know that changing anything to help the poor will cause the sky to fall and water will no longer be wet!!

So what to do?

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:28 PM

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: criticalhit
sheesh, a lot of people just finding every reason for it to be legal to sweat shop people....

Laws can be made to prevent businesses from price gouging if they have to pay a living wage.

Running a business is not JUST a profit making endeavor it's a public service as well and if anyone isn't willing to treat it as such they don't deserve the privilege and should loose it. should the Mom and Pop businesses do business? A business has one purpose and one purpose only. To make a profit. It's that simple. Some businesses keep it in the family, others choose to invest and try to grow.

The ones that try to grow employ more people and generate more revenue. This is a bad thing?

what mom and pop businesses?

I'm 44 years old, I started work at 12 in 1982, every business was a mom and pop business. When my mother wanted Meat we went to a butcher, when I wanted shoes I went to a privately owned shoe store, when I wanted underwear there was a local store for that, fruits and vegetables, there was a local store, toys there was a local toy store, in fact in a single mile one block from my home there were 2-3 of each type of business in my neighborhood...

The Mom and Pop Business line is completely 100% nonsense an outright lie and just another piece of cannon fodder thrown around by politicians and large corporations so they can run exactly those people out of business and keep it that way

A higher minimum wage doesn't in anyway threaten small business...

Do you know WHY you don't see them anymore? Massive insurance rates, jacked utilities, and above all else Rent prices being artificially elevated by the buying power of massive chain outlets

I have a personal friend, owns one of the above types of stores I listed, underwear to be exact, his rent in a mediocre neighborhood since the 90's skyrocketed to 14,000.00 a month where when it was opened in the 90's he paid 2,000.00

To keep his 2 full time employees on a budget of 15.00 an hr at 40 hrs a week each represents an additional cost of 520.00 a week or 2,080.00 a month which is a NON ENTITY aside from price gouging in real estate, by insurance companies and utilities...

That's 12,000.00 in rent increase alone over 15 years and ZERO...YES ZERO increase for labor, the labor that is the ONLY reason there is a business because the underwear doesn't pack and sell itself...

It's blatantly disgusting that Landlords and CEO's are stealing this much money from small businesses while teaching people BS economics about the negligible difference a couple of bucks granted to the people who make them the money would make, i'm sorry but as a small business owner, it's a LIE, a giant LIE, I have no, no fear what so ever about an increase in minimum wage.... what I dread is renewing my freaking lease because that no good miser of a decrepit human being will absolutely jack my rent and leave me no choice like a slave but to accept it and get out, I mean doubling it, and it happens to ALL of us, you spend 5 years building a life and then you get EXTORTED for it over night, in One 6 month span you end up giving more to a DO NOTHING rich guy or company than you will give your employees in the next 10 years.

A business is NOT about just making a profit, you GET to make a profit by providing a service. SERVICE

Going back that 30 years again, when I walked into a Butcher that guy knew where the Meat came from could recommend the best, it wasn't colored or dyed or whatever, he examined the stock before purchasing the Farmers were ACCOUNTABLE today thanks to the garbage of giant corporations your fed puke, the best supermarket around you have no idea what your getting, you can't find out if you ask there's a single retard behind the counter who has nothing to say.

I worked for a supermarket in the late 80's at 18 I was Unionized, it was a small chain of just a few stores, I always got overtime, I got a raise almost every two months between the markets policies and the union, my overtime was time and a half, holidays double time and the manager gave me a turkey, let me take home food, eat for free on my lunch break... every register had a cashier on it even if there wasn't a line those hours...

Today for a store 5x the size there are 2 cashiers, no one knows what the hell is going on

So tell me, if it's the wages... How come a 1/3rd the size privately owned market was able to employee more people and throw me after 18 months on the job a 28.00 an hr salary for the day, let me make a sandwich for lunch and send me home with a Turkey and a bottle of soda and some cranberry sauce?

The answer is everything was bought up by giant monsters and they fill your minds with so much bs on a daily basis you believe it....

Once not actually so long ago some jerk off at Mc Donalds realized that if they gave out one less packet of Ketchup he could write himself a check for 20 Million at the end of the year, I'm not an old man i'm talking about the 90's, he realized people were fracking stupid enough and polite enough to not throw the french fries back through the window and every one has been doing some version of it ever since.

This is NOT good business, it makes people stupid and unhealthy because they live bad, you get lousy employees if you even try to fight the murderous abuses and go it solo and MOM and POP loose more in health related issues, lousy service and everything else that goes wrong when no one has money in the bulk of the population and only a handful of absolute pricks make anything

There has to be some REGULATION to this price gouging from the top down...

This is the FIRST GENERATION IN AMERICAN HISTORY TO DIE YOUNGER THAN IT'S PARENTS and it IS absolutely directly CAUSATIVE to a crappy quality of life, we studied the 3rd world for decades we KNOW exactly where poor labor, low education and disease come from and it's poverty.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:31 PM

originally posted by: Answer

I was going to post this. The wealth inequality in our country has gotten way WAY out of hand and is the biggest contributor to the decline in our economy.

Don't you think that this is what they want?

If they create a divide, if they create a problem. . . . . . .

Then they can "provide" a solution!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
a reply to: criticalhit

They provided a service for which you PAID them. Had you not been paying them do you think they would have still provided the service?

And there are still mom and pop stores around. I can find them and still shop at several. You must not be looking if you can't do the same.

The point of a business, no matter how much you don't like it to admit it is to provide a good or service for profit. Prior to money, it was an exchange of goods or services (i.e. barter).

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:37 PM

Many great points and I agree with them, except for this one.

A business is NOT about just making a profit, you GET to make a profit by providing a service. SERVICE

If a Mom and Pop business is providing good service at a reasonable price, they will profit most times. If a business does not provide decent service, they will fold. How do you think all the big corps started? They started small and grew...then became corrupted.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:45 PM
Attention all!

If the fast food industry, without union or Gov't coercion decided to pay $15.00 a hour to full time employees...would you be happy?

What would happen to the part time employees? They'd be in a worse place wouldn't they?

It's fast, cheap and crappy food people! Paying them more does not help this Nation or them in any way. As Beezzer has reiterated time and time again....bring back the manufacturing jobs.

Thank you for your comments and time...

The management.
edit on 5-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:46 PM
a reply to: kosmicjack

I was management, making good money and not affected. But I did get another job because I couldn't stomach being complicit with what was happening to my employees.
It was me who had to have the heart-breaking conversations about losing their benefits and cutting their hours -

Yeah - that happened to me, too, jack!!! It SUCKED!!

While I still made bonus.

Oh - well, I never made a "bonus" - instead, I was written up and then systematically driven out by HR for even suggesting that they might form a Union. It was sickening.

Workers' health being compromised - pregnant with high-risk circumstances? No - they don't get to work half as hard, even when another employee was willing to help them; they have to work JUST AS HARD, but for shorter hours. Assaulted sexually by a guest? Well, we'll just move the employee off of that floor, but we won't ask the guest to leave.. Nono, the value of his "business" (being a regular) is more important than the degrading and sexual assault made on a 12-year employee working for minimum wage, who always showed up....

"What if it had been me, boss? What if I had been the one who went in to service the room and the guest stood up with no pants on but ready for 'service'?" No answer.

Oh - her sister in law died in a car wreck? A member of her household? Oh damn well - wasn't an immediate family member, so no, she doesn't get bereavement leave, and NO she can't ask her coworkers to contribute for the funeral.

Even with me, it happened!! I needed a week off over Christmas to give my mother a respite caring for my frail elderly father. Four months advance notice, may I please help with my parents? Nono - "Everyone works New Years Eve."

I told my husband that one, and he said, "Are you going to resign tomorrow, or am I going to resign FOR YOU?"

BOLLOCKS. I had to leave. It was compromising my OWN health (mentally and by way of that, physically and relationally - coming home crying, etc.) I miss those staff members. They were real, genuine, hard-working people, with families and dedication, pandering to the stupid bosses and their "everyone has to dress and behave and work exactly the same way."

edit on 9/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:49 PM
The Unions are spending nearly 40 million dollars to raise the minimum wage and unionize the workers. This is all a gimmick to keep the union Cats rich.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:49 PM
a reply to: TDawgRex

I'd be curious to see if a portion of the fast food companies paid 15/hour.

Their prices would be higher.

So people would go to the cheaper places that didn't raise prices or raise minimum wages.

It could put those other places (with 15/hour) out of business.

So you'd end up with fewer places to work.

Higher unemployment.

Yep, go ahead. Raise them rates!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM

Maybe Amerikans will get a bit thinner.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:59 PM
a reply to: Cynic

And a lot will be unemployed as well.

Maybe the cure, as painful as it is, is worth it?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:03 PM

I never said the pain would be limited to the weight loss crowd.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:07 PM
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I can honestly say that I have never worked a job I didn't like. I guess I'm picky that way. Did I have dust ups from time to time? Of course I did. But I won all of them.
(Even while in the military). Because I did what was right regardless of how the other side felt. I've gotten people fired and when I couldn't, I moved on and those companies for the most part no longer exist. Though one still does and yes, they are screwing the consumer over...but they do have profit sharing. LOL

That one company? Well I won't give the name, but they sell blenders in the $500.00 to $700.00 dollar range. Blenders! And all the while paying a average wage of 12.50.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:09 PM

Wow explosive Post and Dead ON

The Big Corporate and Big Banking Cheerleaders complain about the concentration of power in Big Government, and the reason, understandably so, is because humans are corrupt and concentrating power in the hands of a few is not a good idea for a country based on freedom and rights.

They seem to miss the elephant in the room of Big Corporations and Big Banks getting large enough to also become corrupt and wealthy enough to buy off politicians at the expense to the rest of the nation.

I'm all for giving back the power to small business, small communities and the individual.

They are not.
If anything, owning our government is not good enough and they are spreading their disease of corruption and power to own the whole world with their Globalist Multinational Corporations and Central Banks.

Power needs to be restored to the people

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:17 PM

originally posted by: TDawgRex

But those price increases posted above are on par with today's prices of an actual meal (not fast food) at a restaurant. I'd rather pay 8-9 bucks for a small steak, garlic mashed potatoes and a side of veggies, then pay that price for a POS Big Mac.

Ehhh, maybe where you live. But where I live, those prices are already pretty close for fast food., and our minimum wage here is like 9.50 an hour. So really, the price increase isn't that big a deal. A meal at a restaurant costs way more.

I do believe there needs to be a cross the board wage increase all over, from minimum wage on up, because wages have not kept up with inflation. So you really can't blame an increase in minimum wage on the rising price of everything. If that were so, than wages across the board would be way higher for everyone.

Higher level elitist greed is responsible here. Maybe something needs to be done about the ridiculous profit margins being pulled in by some industries.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:22 PM
Heres the problem with raising the minimum wage. It will only make the companies richer and widen the divide.

Companies and business by their very nature are in place to extract money from people. That is their only duty - to provide a good or service and to have someone pay for it. Now these businesses are in business because they are good at getting people to part with their money for what they have.

Now you have 'the people' end of the spectrum. The consumers - the spenders. Now this group encompasses all of us who utilize those goods or services. We pay them for that product and often time, especially with necessities, we do this without much thought.

So what will happen if the minimum wage was suddenly raised, is that all of these people who are mostly (not all) limited in their abilities which is why many of them are working minimum wage jobs to begin with, will spend their new increased wages without control, probably even more recklessly, and these businesses who are positioned to take your money already, will do so from the very beginning of these 'new increased wages' and before the impact is actually felt at the ground level of the people it was raised for, it will already be back into the hands of the corporations and business owners because they are trained to extract that money, while the workers who earned it are trained to spend it.

So basically willy-nilly just raising minimum wage is a waste of time. Again it falls back on education. Education to lift yourself out of the crappy situation, and education on how to WISELY use your money. Thats the only thing that will really help this struggling class

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:33 PM
I only make $18/hr, if minimum wage raise to $15/hr, I know I will not get raise. My work is much harder than fast food worker, I feel like loser.
For small business owners, most of them will be out of business, because they can not raise price as fast food chains.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:36 PM
a reply to: phishfriar47

If the minimum wage was a livable wage this alone would spur the economy and create more jobs.

Consumers spur job growth not tax cuts for the rich.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:37 PM

originally posted by: phishfriar47

Companies and business by their very nature are in place to extract money from people. That is their only duty - to provide a good or service and to have someone pay for it. Now these businesses are in business because they are good at getting people to part with their money for what they have.

Now you have 'the people' end of the spectrum. The consumers - the spenders. Now this group encompasses all of us who utilize those goods or services. We pay them for that product and often time, especially with necessities, we do this without much thought.

You have a MAJOR GAP in your reasoning there.
Let me help you:

Corporations Lobby for Free Trade Pacts and even now The Trans Pacific Partnership where the public and politicians are not allowed to know the details of which 600 corporate advisers helped design and they want everyone else to pay for it by cutting their wages either real or via inflation as we have largely seen

You seem to have a gap in logic where there is the "Business" and the "Consumers" as if they are all acting in a Market of Free Exchange

IT DOES NOT EXIST when Big Corporations own our government.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 07:54 PM
No you missed my point entirely.

A business exists to make money and extract it from me and you.

A person spending money is a consumer.

Therefore businesses exist solely to get money from 'us' and put it in 'their' pocket in the form of a profit. No profit = no business. So a business HAS to be good at getting you to give them your money, or we wouldnt have businesses.

So what people are proposing is raising the minimum wage. Minimum wage workers (for the most part) are not very well educated, are young, or elderly. All of those specific types of people, and again this is your minimum wage workforce that we are talking about, arent very savvy at life in general or they wouldbnt be working a minimum wage job to begin with.

So by raising the minimum wage you are just putting more money into the hands of people who most likely are not financially educated or aware (there is no arguing this when its clear the majority of people, even middle class and up live beyond their means) to pit against businesses that exist solely to get your money.

Look at it this way. Walmart is an EXPERT at getting people to spend their money, and now you are going to give the lowest class with the least amount of education more money without SHOWING (or EDUCATING) them on the importance of sound financial responsibility and making those newly increased earnings stretch.

I will also provide another example. We as business owners operate months and sometimes years in advance. I can buy inventory today, hold it and my initial price never change, but once that new minimum wage hits I can sell it at the new inflated rates of selling things and widen my profit gap. I operate a small business and see how to utilize that to my advantage, so youre telling me that walmart, target, staples, etc arent thinking about similar things? I will tell you who isnt even considering what I just wrote, and that will be those minimum wage earners.

You are also telling me corporations who have lobbied for years and have driven this economy to the brink due to their greed wouldnt look for more ways to extract money to the top 1% by taking advantage of an increased minimum wage before those people who received it realize whats happening to them?

Yeah, I am definitely not the one out of touch here. I know how a business thinks and I know how greedy those corporate owners and top businessmen can be.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>