It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 12:17 AM
2 dollars?

I'm not even mad at the price hike. I tip ten dollars each time I ever have someone be my servant. Hair cuts, servers, taxi drivers. Anyone who does anything for me I already tip them 10 dollars. As long as they are in the job description of "tipped salary income."

But over gratuitous tips aside....

Working at a fast food place is grueling work, just as any other job.

I would be much more happier if EVERYONE'S Minimum wage was set to 15 dollars. Which means your groundskeeper gets paid the same as a fry cook, and the same as a housekeeper. Each job has its stress factors, each job has it's easy points. I have done quite a few jobs in my life and I can tell you this... When you have had as many job descriptions as I have.... the easiest job ever is Pizza Delivery boy. But even that job.... I could barely clear 400 every two weeks if I got the right combination of customers. My location sucked but we averaged just barely 20 deliveries between 5-7 drivers. In some places the delivery driver could score 700 every two weeks.

But back on topic here... Just because construction workers view flipping burgers as being easy.... we as fry cook's would just love to switch with construction workers for just ONE DAY. And I have done construction. I helped build the Ikea in Denver Colorado. I helped build the highway in Wyoming. But nothing sucks worse when you have to cook 40 burgers within 15 minutes, dress them, and make sure you didn't # up any part of the order. (Food stands at event centers, not corner street restaurants.)

I say flipping burgers sucks more than construction.

But again for people's views on other jobs... DON'T KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU TRY IT YOURSELF. If you go based off of TV shows, movies, youtube, and plays.... don't. Stop cheating yourself and imagining how easy or hard a job is. Go out and do it yourself. The ignorance of this country is still a bright orange-red.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:10 AM
It's simply supply vs demand. The pool of workers with no skills is high, therefore an employer can offer a low wage and someone will accept it. At my job, we tried to hire a programmer. Only 4 people applied because the advertised salary was too low for the skills needed. The salary amount was raised and more qualified people applied.

I've also seen a lot of talk about mom and pop restaurants here. Guess what, the majority of fast food places ARE mom and pops places. They are franchises in which somebody took the risk to take out a loan and purchase a restaurant to make a living. These people are the ones who are paying the employees, not mcdonalds the corporation.So raising the minimum wage hurts them. The franchisee takes all the risk so they obviously should make more money.

There was just a story done about a machine that can automate the hamburger making process. It can make 360 burgers and hour with fresh ingredients and more sanitarily than human workers. Many restaurants are already using iPad type devices at the counter which allows the customer to order their own food and pay on their own as well.
Pretty soon it might be more cost effective to buy all of this equipment and fully automate the entire process. They would only need one or two employees to run the place.

For those saying the CEOs should get paid less, are you a CEO of a company? Do you know how much work a CEO of a multinational company does? As the CEO you are basically working 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. You are responsible for thousands of workers and shareholders and millions if not billions of dollars. You would have to pay me millions to have to do the work they do.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:20 AM
Are you people stupid go to a bar the food is better cheaper and pop is free and just as fast. Grow up

edit on 6-9-2014 by chapterhouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:26 AM
a reply to: TDawgRex

Regardless of size if a business cannot afford to pay each and every one of its employees a living wage, then in my opinion that business should not exist. Those who would condemn their fellow Americans for being poor, champion their treatment as subhuman freeloaders, ought to take a step back, have a seat and rethink their position. Absolute domination. Complete subjugation from birth to death. And we debate and debate and opine and lament over and over asking each other how, how have our plutocratic rulers risen to power? How do they so easily pull three hundred plus million strings attached to human limbs? Responses throughout this thread hold the answer: we Americans ... we have the lost the ability to identify who is the "Us" and who is the "Them".

Instead, we blame each other. One social class despises the next, and a majority of the self labeled middle class not only argues the wealthiest Americans' case for them, but have apparently set a course to defend the right of the wealthiest of us all to oppress the hell out of the rest of us to their last breaths. So Joe fast food worker makes a living wage--which is about $29 per hour where I live--and what? That means the rest of us must sprout horns of envy and also demand a higher wage? Why? I will take a guess: because oh ye middle class superior beings think you are better than the guy or gal who works fast food. You think you are superior human beings, and further, you think your time, sweat, exhaustion and effort are worth more.

You think you’re special.

How American of you.

When a man works hours equal to the hardest charging employee out there and still cannot provide for his family, regardless of his occupational title, then time is past for serious examination of both our political and economic systems. But it's a throw away world out there these days, isn't it? Throw away tens of millions of Americans because they are beneath the rest of us. Don't you realize that today in America we, we all of us worship at the altar of the corporation. That is all. Corporations are our gods; our most beloved infrastructure. They bring to us all the gadgetry and junk food we demand and in turn many among us believe their reign, their protection as worth more than an individual American life, is just; is the only “holy” way of life available to us. The corporate altar. Worship and praise them with your dollars; sacrifice the less fortunate so you can have variety.

Admit it … does’t it feel good … riding through the drive through in your forty thousand dollar pickup truck, looking at the person collecting your dollars for quarter pounders, and thinking to yourself, ‘I am better than that guy.’

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:32 AM

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

Wow, okay, that is worrying. The reception of this in agreement makes me wonder are many not aware that service sector jobs such as fast food restaurants are already hiring people who have degrees over "any brain dead moron off the street" or H.S. kids starting out in employment?

ETA: That's not to say I support $15 per hour at all. Quite possibly the higher wages will drive more PT jobs than we are already seeing. Causing more issues, more of a need for taking second or even third jobs, plus other set backs.

Wonder how it's going to play out for Seattle who recently raised rages to $15.00 an hour - see here.
edit on 6-9-2014 by dreamingawake because: ETA

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 01:37 AM
There is no fast food that is my favorite food.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 02:25 AM
IMHO, it would do our society a whole lot of good if those "meals" we're made more expensive...Maybe then people would actually think about what they are eating before just mindlessly shoveling that garbage down their throats.

Wonder what things like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease costs each of us every year and how much the insurance/health care industry would change if people didn't eat this crap all the time?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 03:38 AM
The prices of fast food are in direct relation with the prices of other types of food service. If the fast food industry is forced to pay increased wages, the price of their food may increase and they may not be able to compete with competitors. What may happen is that the price of food across the board increases.

The price of a Big Mac if not really determined by the CEOs. It’s in direct relation to McDonald’s competitors. Not just fast food competitors, but every kind of food service. The same goes for the mom and pop dinners and hot-dog stands. They set the prices as high as possible while still remaining competitive with other types of food service. If the fast food industry increases the price of items it will have a trickle effect and all food will increase in price.

Now the same goes for everything. If 15 dollars an hour is the new standard that businesses have to pay. The prices of everything will go up. The guy working at McDonald’s will be pretty much in the same boat.

What I really see happening, is a major increase in automation in these types of establishments AND an increase in prices across all areas. So now prices have gone up, and more people are unemployed.

I agree working fast food is not an easy job! But the fact is, McDonald’s can train anyone to do in in about a week. No experience needed. It’s a simple job to learn and can be mastered very quickly. Actually doing it is hard work. They can pay so little because they don’t need you to be educated or skilled in anything. They will train you.

Now jobs that require a bit of education, skill and experience will pay more (sometimes currently less than $15 an hour) because they need to attract the right type of person. It doesn’t mean that anyone is better than anyone else. But a guy who has a Master’s Degree in engineering who works at Lockheed Martin and a guy with a high school deploma who works at McDonalds are going to have different salaries. It’s a fact of life.

The whole focus should not be on the minimum wage. That won’t fix anything, just cause more problems. We should be talking about how to create more manufacturing jobs in this country!

Check out the below link if you’re interested in how salary inflation due to the oil boom can effect a community. Interesting read that I think relates. Also proves that there are jobs out there if you are willing to relocate.

W orkforce issues

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 04:23 AM

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: doobydoll

Explain to me why someone who asks "Want fries with that?" for a living should make more than I currently do? I am a proofreader and editor. Now, I will grant that the bulk of my skills I learned in my basic education years with a few of them coming from my degree, but I'll bet that you could plug me into the fast food assembly line and have me up and running in a day while you couldn't take very many of those fast food workers, even degreed ones, and put them in my shoes.

But let's repeat this song and dance about how they deserve more per hour than I make.

So leave them claiming benefits then.

They either get a living wage from their employer who profits from their work, or from the taxpayer.

I take it you're happy that your taxes continue to be paid out to top up poverty wages?
edit on 6-9-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:31 AM

originally posted by: Richn777
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Increased profits enable increased dividends paid to shareholders. Increased dividends paid to shareholders causes more people to invest in your business. More investments cause more growth. “Record Profits” are a GOOD thing for the economy, it enables business to grow!

news.investors... .com/investing-the-income-investor/031314-693179-mcdonalds-serves-up-steady-profit-tasty-dividends.htm

If it was as simple as this, unemployment would not be at record highs for these many years as profits have been as well. Is it growth to lay off workers? Or lower product quality or reduce product size? No. It's squeezing profit. Mega corporations are screwing employees and consumers alike in pursit of endless profit to support the 1%.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:49 AM
a reply to: kosmicjack

So you think raising the minimum wage is going to lower the unemployment rate?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:03 AM
a reply to: Richn777

I was simply refuting the growth argument the other user was making. As to what will actually happen, I'm not sure. There is so much BS - entrenched partisan and class warfare rhetoric - on this issue, it's difficult to sort out. It seems to me though that there should be very little real impact on corporations - the profit is there. And I'm not sure I give a crap about shareholders or Wall St...they have only a parasitic interest in the matter and, if they can't see the overall benefit to society at large - that it's an investment in the health and stability of our nation - then screw's time to burn this paradigm down.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:15 AM
it just amazes me in all this how the little guy gets the blame....its like people just trying to survive are the problem...

look a useless eater...using up precious resources....(where is the rolls eyes emoticon when needed)

we are most definitely a doomed species if we allow this kind of thinking to progress any further

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:25 AM

originally posted by: doobydoll

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: doobydoll

Explain to me why someone who asks "Want fries with that?" for a living should make more than I currently do? I am a proofreader and editor. Now, I will grant that the bulk of my skills I learned in my basic education years with a few of them coming from my degree, but I'll bet that you could plug me into the fast food assembly line and have me up and running in a day while you couldn't take very many of those fast food workers, even degreed ones, and put them in my shoes.

But let's repeat this song and dance about how they deserve more per hour than I make.

So leave them claiming benefits then.

They either get a living wage from their employer who profits from their work, or from the taxpayer.

I take it you're happy that your taxes continue to be paid out to top up poverty wages?

I think it's sad that we've been conditioned to think that the world needs to work in 1 of 2 ways, either the employer pays them more or the taxpayers will be burdened with covering what the employer is not paying them... How about NO MORE handouts.. How about, if you're not making enough from McDonald's or some other fast food place you search for a new job that pays better or you try to increase your knowledge in some other fields so you can earn a better living. I'm not happy that my taxes are going to people who don't know how to earn a decent living wage, and sorry working fast food should never be considered that. There is no reason why a fast food chain should pay a person $15 per hour for taking an order (that honestly a computer could do, kinda like automatic checkouts at the grocery store)... If you don't like the field you work in, then find something new... I'm sick of people expecting handouts from the Govt. and taxpayers, I'm sick of using my hard earned money to support those who can't figure out how to build a decent life for themselves...

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:34 AM
And still what people don't understand is raising the minimum wage just increases the cost of everything we currently buy without really increasing our actual purchasing power. Wages in reality are not the issue, it's the purchasing power of the wages we currently make that is the problem.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:41 AM

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
I've said it before. I'll say it again.
This kills the incentive of working hard towards a goal.
I started my job at $10/hr and it was harder than working fast food. Now, I make more and have carved myself a nice niche at the company I work for.
If I could have worked fast food for $15/hr, I never would have accomplished what I have at my current job because I would STILL be flipping burgers for $15/hr. I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
People should be paid for what the job is, not what people want. Fast food is worth $10/hr at best in my opinion. It's a job anyone can do.
For $15/hr., I feel like you should at least need some smarts or skill to do.

^^ That is total and utter bullsh!t.
I work harder when my employer respects me as a human being and pay's me a living wage. My current employer pay's me a living wage and in return i ensure their customer's are happy and keep their business with us.
Had they not been paying me a living wage then i'd probably be at the point where i couldn't give a rat's arse if you wanna take your business somewhere else.

Paying me nothing as an incentive to get me to work harder so i can get into management is counter-productive. You are paying me less for my labour and making me feel worthless and separated from the company in the process.

Make your employee's feel part of the business and its guaranteed that people will work better for you because they are INVESTED.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:58 AM
my husband still gets job offers offering $9 an hour. He's a journeyman machinist and has refused these jobs sometimes letting his repulsion show.
still say the best avenue would be to fix it so that the amount of assistance given to the nonworking no income poor is roughly equal to the income limit being used to determine eligibility for those programs and make the minimum wage equal to those.
then not only do you have the option of increasing the minimum wage but you have also provided a force that would reign in the inflation at least for the basic necessities.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:01 AM
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

That is your opinion, and your opinion only. Yes, crap wages equal for the most part crap employees. You want to live a better life? Then better yourself. Yea, I know that is a blanket statement, but it applies here.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:03 AM
This is the problem.

And in the manufacturing sector, no jobs were added.

If companies are reluctant to pay the current minimum wage, where do you think they are going to go if it is raised to $15 an hour?

Companies that have tried to bring production back into the United States often face labor challenges. They report difficulty finding workers who can pass drug tests, do basic math needed for the job, and come to work regularly. Skeptical folks will ask if the company was expecting all that for minimum wage. The upshot of the discussion: labor costs for good, reliable workers are not as low as one would think looking at the minimum wage.

Finally, don’t expect manufacturing employment to grow along with production. The fastest-growing parts of manufacturing will be those that use the least labor. Productivity in factories continues to improve, so the best jobs picture we can hope for is flat. The peak year for U.S. manufacturing employment was 1979, and we’re not going back there.

We need to figure out how to keep companies manufacturing here! I see that is the main problem. Until we address this issue, raising the minimum wage will be disastrous.

US Economy Adds ZERO Manufacturing Jobs

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:16 AM
I agree, but you forget the greedy rich run the politicians. a reply to: abe froman

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>