It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
dailysignal.com...

People say they deserve the wage increase, and others will also say that such a price increase will make people healthier as people won't pay those prices for junk food. And on and on.

Has any one thought that if these workers get a $15 dollar a hour wage increase how those who do bust their balls currently earning $15.00 are going to feel? I guarantee you that they will want a wage increase as well. And it will spiral out of control.

These are intro into the workplace positions. I used to work for a logistics firm at $16.00 a hour, if I knew that a burger flipper was making the same wage, damn skippy I would want a raise and so would everybody else and then the company would go belly up, if it didn't pass on the cost of operating to the customer.

People who work at Mickey D's as a career and aren't management are idiots. It should be a stepping stone for young kids or for retirees who want to get out of the house and earn a little scratch on the side to supplement their pensions. It should not be a career unless you are a franchise owner.

You think that there is social injustice now? Just wait a couple years after this is implemented. Stores will close, the tax-base will be lower than it is now and everything, literally EVERYTHING will be a hell of a lot more expensive.

Be carefull what you wish for.
edit on 5-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

+61 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The whole raising minimum wage and living wage is nothing more than a distraction from the real issue. That being, the United States government has sold all of our middle class, blue collar, manufacturing jobs to cheap over seas labor countries.

Any politician that is pushing for a higher minimum wage is doing nothing more than trying to cover their behinds from having to reveal to the American public that we are destined to fail because we have been forced into an economy that is based on low wage service industry jobs.

This whole scheme along with all of the unnecessary regulations that are being levied against small businesses will create a giant vacuum that will kill almost every small business in this country! Starting to see the picture yet?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
If you raise the minimum wage to $15.00 an hour, then you will see price inflation - not just at places affected by the minimum wage hike, but other stores as well.

Business platforms are all inner-connected, like a living thing. When you do something to one part, the other part is affected as well.

This is not to benefit the people working at minimum wage, nor the middle class.

The minimum wage hike, while seemingly good, will further widen the gulf between the elite and those beneath them.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

Oh yea. I would bet money that they'll give a lot of workers the boot as they go to a shift type of job and cut hours as well. Two shifts and fewer workers is more manageable.

But those price increases posted above are on par with today's prices of an actual meal (not fast food) at a restaurant. I'd rather pay 8-9 bucks for a small steak, garlic mashed potatoes and a side of veggies, then pay that price for a POS Big Mac.

+39 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
People who work at Mickey D's as a career and aren't management are idiots.

Ouch.
That's a really disrespectfull opinion.

Stop blaming the poor, it's the riches fault we are all going bankrupt.

Why would those chains make their prices higher?
Well, to get the same % in profits, which is in the billions of dollars...
But sure, blame the people that REALLY work instead of people that just wait for the money to come to them.

Seriously, I think all those places should just accept tips. I don't mind paying a buck or two more if I know it directly goes in the employees pockets.

But you sure seem to be happy that they are working hard and still are poor. The less money you make, the smaller the pay is and the more they treat you like crap because they claim you are disposable. If we count by the number of people they give services to, their jobs are a lot more important to society than a lot of jobs out there that pay much much more.

The poor need more money for us to have a wealthier middle class.
Stop blaming the poor, almost every problem on this damn planet is caused by people already having too much money and power that want even more.
edit on 5-9-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

+46 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Or maybe the upper management and multimillionaire CEOs can take a smallish pay cut, and let their workers earn a slightly more livable wage.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Stupid people need jobs too.

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Or maybe the upper management and multimillionaire CEOs can take a smallish pay cut, and let their workers earn a slightly more livable wage.

How could they afford a 4th house in the Bahamas or a second helicopter for the weekends?
The happiness and finacial security of thousands of employees isn't worth it!
edit on 5-9-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

For people to actually have more money, you would not only need the wage to increase but also prices to stay the same or LOWER than now!

I know businesses are accustomed to earning their profits, but if the margin was just lower it would mean more money for everyone! They can still make money just not as much per person...Who knows, you may just sell more with lower prices!!

But that will never happen, it should but won't...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The prices you posted as an increase if employees were to earn a $15 an hour wage, are basically what we are paying now in Canada for those menu items, and minimum wage falls between $10.30- $11.00 per hour depending on the province.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If the Government would curtail it's out of control spending then we wouldn't have to tax small business 50%, then we could raise the minimum wage without affecting business profits and the economy would soar.
The ones screwing everything up aren't "the greedy rich" it's the greedy corrupt politicians.

Take the money back from the Government and give it back to the people it belongs to.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

That's a little bit of a misconception however well intentioned. If you took the ceo's entire salary per year of 8.7 million and made him work for absolutely nothing, then distributed it among the 1.7 million employees it would give them a pay raise of $5.11 a year. Not an hour. Per year. Won't lift them out of poverty.

Based on a 30 hour work week this would give them 1/3 of one cent an hour pay raise.
edit on 9 5 2014 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

link   
I've said it before. I'll say it again.
This kills the incentive of working hard towards a goal.
I started my job at $10/hr and it was harder than working fast food. Now, I make more and have carved myself a nice niche at the company I work for.
If I could have worked fast food for $15/hr, I never would have accomplished what I have at my current job because I would STILL be flipping burgers for $15/hr. I'm sure that I'm not the only one.
People should be paid for what the job is, not what people want. Fast food is worth $10/hr at best in my opinion. It's a job anyone can do.
For $15/hr., I feel like you should at least need some smarts or skill to do.

link   

originally posted by: theMediator

How could they afford a 4th house in the Bahamas or a second helicopter for the weekends?
The happiness and finacial security of thousands of employees isn't worth it!

Take that same quote and apply it to our politicians and I'll buy you a beer.

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The ignorance displayed by the OP is disgusting.

"People who work at Mickey D's as a career and aren't management are idiots."

Did you seriously just write this? I'd love to live in a world where there were available jobs, but that is not the case. A lot of people work these jobs because there isn't anything else.

We need to be honest and start labelling the kind of rhetoric shown by the OP as exactly what it is: hatred of poor people, which is, frankly, cowardly.

Cut CEO and executive salaries and give the people on the front lines - you know, the people who actually DO THE WORK - a fair share of the pie.

Besides, the above price stats come from The Heritage Foundation, which has a vested interest in spreading lies and furthering the economic divide. They represent the interests of the rich, the powerful, the well-connected. Truly when it comes to social justice and economic equality their opinions should be considered null and void.
edit on k0609amFri, 05 Sep 2014 10:06:39 -0500 by kimar because: changed word

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Fast food wages are so low it's workers are taking 7 billion per year in public assistance.

Fast-Food Wages Come With a $7 Billion Side of Public Assistance

McDonalds alone took 1.2 billion per year of that tab. I guess we prefer to have our taxpayers help pay the labor costs for McDonald's Corp rather than have the company pay it's own worker's compensation. WalMart does the same thing, pay it's workers an abysmal hourly rate and let the taxpayers pick up the slack.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
'People who eat at Mickey D's and aren't management are idiots.'

FTFY.

I'm already paying those prices for healthy food.

Saving money by eating at MacDonald's is a false economy.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I have noticed a puzzling pattern when it comes to protests for better housing, more food stamps, or any number of issues concerning increasing benefits or paying higher wages......that is the people being interviewed speak such broken English I have a hard time understanding what they're saying.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that; I'm just wondering how long these protesters have lived in the US, and why are there never any people proficient in the English language being interviewed?

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
People don't seem to realize that no matter what the minimum wage is, your still making minimum wage. Prices adjust to the change and you still can't afford that new porsche.
Fine, take the ceo's pay. He will still have a new car.
You make twice as much money now. Great
Now everybody has twice as much money.
The car dealer knows this so up the price of the car goes. You still can't buy it.
Actions have consequences.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join