It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Then they should get a better job or move to where one is. If they are so poor, than it shouldn't be that hard. I know, I've done it.

It's as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

LoL! You assume I was on the crap end of that job.

No, I was management, making good money and not affected. But I did get another job because I couldn't stomach being complicit with what was happening to my employees.
It was me who had to have the heart-breaking conversations about losing their benefits and cutting their hours - while I still made bonus.
edit on 9/5/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
lolz

People are still talking about storming the Bastielle.
(dibs on the powdered wigs)

No-one wants to get above that 15 dollar preee-mee-um wage hike!

If it goes through, then more people will be poor.

But who cares?

You'll get your 15 dollars.

Get rid of the service-industry. Boot any politician that wants the service industry over manufacturing industry. Promote growth in your town.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Your comments? You haven't read through the entire thread I take it? I have already said such.

Whatever you "already said" - now you are agreeing with me???

LOL!!

I have WRITTEN a couple of threads about it, TDawg.
Ever heard of Ron Unz?

Look him up.

Nah, never mind. Here you go:
The Conservative Argument For Raising The Minimum Wage

Raising the minimum wage would also take the burden off taxpayers to subsidize the working poor, Unz says.

“The bottom line is that the American government right now spends $250 billion a year on social welfare programs to benefit the working poor,” he said. “What we have right now is the classic case of businesses privatizing the benefits of the workers, but socializing the costs — shifting the burden to taxpayers and the rest of society. And I think businesses should stand on their own two feet and pay their own workers, rather than force the taxpayers to make up the difference.”

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think you are forgetting something crucial here.

First of all, businesses like the chains we are discussing, even McDonalds, despite its recent "problems" could suffer three or so financial crashes like we had a couple of years back, and still be here, so that need to have vast liquid capital to cope with this and that angle is totally farcical. Some of these companies are worth more than a small country. They are, and will continue to be fine, long after you and I are dead.

Furthermore, the people running these companies, the board members, the executives... they have a responsibility to their damned EMPLOYEES first. Without the employees, burgers and burritos are not going to be served, without the people on the ground, they have no business, so whether it goes to the wall because their staff cannot afford to get to work, such is the cost of travel, or cannot afford to eat enough to stay alive, or to have a home to go to, rather than dying in their car because of a loose petrol can cap, then either way, they are going to be crap out of luck, and so is the company.

The other thing you have to take into account, is that if people are being paid according to the cost of living regionally, then some places will pay more, and others less. It will not be one flat ammount across the board. That WOULD cause massive problems. However, making the cost of living tracking wage a reality, would mean that executives could not command such outrageous paychecks, and to be utterly honest, no one who sits at big tables, and shouts down phones for a living can really complain at taking a pay cut. We all know that we only call that work because they somehow get paid for it. Heres an idea. If the executives can pay the employees a living, cost of living tracking wage, get obscene profits for their shareholders, and have enough left over to pay themselves millions in bonuses, THEN they can keep their pay packets, and if they cannot, they pay the shareholders and the employees first, and survive on the scraps of their ALREADY VAST FORTUNES !

These measures would not be dangerous to anyone who works for their money, as long as those who really do not were able to prevent themselves from getting too greedy to actually allow it to work.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Then they should get a better job or move to where one is. If they are so poor, than it shouldn't be that hard. I know, I've done it.

Oh!! Of course!! *slaps self in forehead* They should MOVE! Cuz, you know, they can afford to spend a few thousand bucks to relocate. And that's IF - IF they can sell their home (or rent it out to responsible tenants). Oh, but wait - their home value collapsed because of - well, banks. You know - mortgage bubble. Or, maybe you don't know.
Well, so - let's move on to your next suggestion....

.. get a better job!! Well, doy!!

Where, might I ask, are they to move to (India?), and to what Better Job (Walgreen's? JCPenney?)??
You know, do you? You've done it, have you?

How old are you, friend?

edit on 9/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

In the long run, it does not matter either way. I think it is all destined to collapse.
Too many special interests running our government and No one wants to take a paycut.
They want everyone else to take a paycut below them in this New Globalist Utopia where we are competing with people that can do things cheaper everywhere.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

It wouldn't bother me one bit,
for I Rarely consume fast food.
Interesting to see that it appears to have no
affect on Corporate profits, as all increases
would be passed on to the customers.
So why the ruckus?

They hold tight to every red cent like misers.
Yet they're rolling in Billions.

Where as the workers would distribute their
increases throughout the economy.
Yes, they would spend that money.
It would move around.

As for Corporate Profits and Content Employees,
It would all " Balance out in The Wash".

edit on 5-9-2014 by Wildmanimal because: Typo

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Bring on the mandatory wage increase!

Automated Burger Machine

It will make far easier to justify buying a couple of these...lol.

Bring it on.
Automate Everything and the elites can began killing off the Useless Eaters.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

I don't require and intellectual to build me a burger...In fact, if she or she can count to one, that should be sufficient...All I need is one burger on my bun...

When I go to McDonalds I am not looking for a culinary experience...

And while the prices drastically increase, we're going to get used to saying, 'where's the beef'....

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

LoL! You assume I was on the crap end of that job.

No, I was management, making good money and not affected. But I did get another job because I couldn't stomach being complicit with what was happening to my employees.
It was me who had to have the heart-breaking conversations about losing their benefits and cutting their hours - while I still made bonus.

This is one of the main reasons 50 million Americans are on anti depressants. We have to conform for the betterment of the corporation, there bottom line is the only thing that matters.

Year after year they keep getting richer, that's ok, but come on share more money with the people that make your success possible!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

edit on 5-9-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Read Trues post below, I agree with much of what he says. But my original post posits are these people really worth the cost of such a pay raise? The folk who are emotional will say Hell Yea! The rational folk will say Hell No!

And they both have a valid point from my POV. But I choose to look a bit deeper.

My former Sister in Law is a big time banker down in GA. I asked her one time why she and her husband needed such a big house with one child. This thing was huge! (And a waste of space as far as I was concerned)

She replied she would like a smaller house as it would be easier to maintain, but she also did a lot of entertaining. Entertaining is biz speak for a informal business meeting...much like a golf game or a big stakes poker game among "friends".

In order to keep her position at her bank, she had to "entertain" to keep clients coming to the bank and signing contracts. It really isn't any different in any part of the business world.

But the thing here is, I understand that world, though I am not a part of it and I think that you don't or won't even try to understand it.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

But the thing here is, I understand that world, though I am not a part of it and I think that you don't or won't even try to understand it.
I don't or won't?

sigh

Okay, TDawg. You can think whatever you want about me.
I know all about McMansions, and entertaining (schmoozing)/fund-raising - even know how to write grants to get those fancy big bucks!! Court the wealthy! Serve caviar and champagne! Don't forget, the silverware is used from outside to inside. The LITTLE fork is for salad...the BIG fork is for the main entree. The spoon up by the top? For the sorbet later.

Pretentious bullcrap - and meanwhile, kids are hungry just a mile and a half away - two miles further, homeless people are sleeping in stairwells and rummaging through dumpsters.

You think I don't know? Or won't?

another deep breath and sigh.

I don't blame you, though - you've been programmed to think all of that is the fault of the homeless/hungry kids/lazies.

Best wishes for your bright and prosperous future.

edit:
You mean TrueBrit's post? I read it. He's a friend of mine.
I have no issue with his posts at all. He gets it. Quite well.

edit on 9/5/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

And once again, I never said that it is the fault of the homeless/hungry kids/lazies. Though there are those out there that do fit that profile. You can't deny that.

I'm a high school drop out and have worked my way out of the pit I was in. I think that if I can do it, anybody can. Call me a hard headed optimist.

My OP was about the bigger picture. You don't think that the Corps. will not take advantage of this? Do you think that the Gov't through legislation can control this? Laws are written by lawyers, there will always be loopholes. Beezzers posts in this thread make a stupendous amount of sense in my opinion.

Bring manufacturing back and the wages will level out again.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

On this, we agree.

As for beezzer, well -
no comment.

I did read all of your posts - and I will say this - you send mixed signals.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I just picked up my rental car for a trip I'm taking (your familiar with that). I specifically said I do not want a Chevy and prefer that it wasn't Red in color either. So what did I get? A FLIPPIN" RED CHEVY! "It's all we have right now." I was told. Bad omens Bro, bad omens.

**clears throat** UGH. First world problems, eh? Yeah. I have a hangnail right now. Boo! *eyeroll*

Customer service IS gone, you are right.

So there - we agree on a couple of things.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

On this, we agree.

As for beezzer, well -
no comment.

I did read all of your posts - and I will say this - you send mixed signals.

I will admit that I am all over the place concerning this issue of fast food workers. But I really don't think that they deserve this wage, unless they are full time employees. The part timers will be left in the cold in that case as well as they will be out of a job.

That's the reality that will happen. I just think it will cause more problems than it solves.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I just picked up my rental car for a trip I'm taking (your familiar with that). I specifically said I do not want a Chevy and prefer that it wasn't Red in color either. So what did I get? A FLIPPIN" RED CHEVY! "It's all we have right now." I was told. Bad omens Bro, bad omens.

**clears throat** UGH. First world problems, eh? Yeah. I have a hangnail right now. Boo! *eyeroll*

Customer service IS gone, you are right.

So there - we agree on a couple of things.

Yea, I know it's a small problem in the scheme of things...but it's still annoying.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Or maybe the upper management and multimillionaire CEOs can take a smallish pay cut, and let their workers earn a slightly more livable wage.

I was going to post this. The wealth inequality in our country has gotten way WAY out of hand and is the biggest contributor to the decline in our economy.

When the workers are making $25,000 a year and the corporate management are making 7 or 8 figures, there's a problem. When you consider that the 1% don't flood money back into the economy exponentially more than the lower and middle class, the dilemma becomes crystal clear. Their millions are floating around in various investments making each other richer while the lower and middle class struggle to pay the bills.

The American Dream is fully dead.
edit on 9/5/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join