It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Does everyone realize that if minimum wage goes to 15/hour, the poverty line will rise proportionally?

Ask yourself this; Do you want higher paid burger flippers?

Or

High paid wage earners doing manufacturing, industry, economics, science, architecture, arts, etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

wages will always be a reflection of supply and demand.

its the DEMAND part ,that Corp. forget about,,cause the workers have a way too DEMAND there "just wages".

its called,,," i need too surive,, not just exist."

please Sir,, may i have more,,,

edit on 9/5/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

originally posted by: Urantia1111
a reply to: TDawgRex

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

Stupid people need jobs too.

Maybe, but couldn't we let them pick up garbage off the side of the highway or something else that doesn't force me to interact directly with them? I gotta think if the average fast food cashier had the demeanor and capability of say a bank teller at least, they might do even more business.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
Is it easy to blame the rich? Is it easy to blame powerful, wealthy corporations who can buy congress and legislation in order to stack the deck in their favor? Who can engage in monopolistic oligarchies to corner markets, prevent new startups from competing, and engage in price fixing with their competitors in order to keep the supply/demand market from self regulating? It is easy to blame companies that strongarm congressmen into passing legislation that removes the right of americans to negotiate prices for their goods that are essential (medicare expansion act) for example? Is it easy to blame the bankers who bribe congress to give them billions in bailouts, against the will of the people? Is it easy to blame the Walmarts who bribe congressmen to give them subsidies to add to the billions of their profits, and who bribe congress to relax legislation so they can export their labor to third world countries to steal American jobs? Is it easy to blame fortune 500 companies who bribe congress to lower regulations so they can headquarter in other countries to avoid allowing their money to be taxed to help pay for the same subsidies to themselves that they bribe congressmen to force on other working americans? Is it easy to blame the vaccine companies who bribe legislation that their products be mandatory, and that you cannot sue for injury? The answer to all this is a resounding YES. We can blame them for those things they are responsible for. To pretend they have no hand in it is to ignore the facts.

Now please, show me the countries with the highest minimum wages, and their standards of living.....and then show me the countries with the lowest minimum wages, and their standard of living.

As far as the highest minimum wage in the world, that would be the Netherlands, Luxembourg is second. The USA would be in the top ten depending what state you live in, here in Oregon the minimum wage is a tad over $9.00/hr, In Washington state it is higher that would squarely put our states in the top 7 but we are talking about the federal minimum wage.

As far as the lowest minimum wage countries and their living conditions, I think you can google search that on your own, or not... you would probably not want to know how much they make or what their conditions are, but ebola and warlords run rampant there.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

Stupid people need jobs too.

Maybe, but couldn't we let them pick up garbage off the side of the highway or something else that doesn't force me to interact directly with them? I gotta think if the average fast food cashier had the demeanor and capability of say a bank teller at least, they might do even more business.

yess a bank teller,,,,

wow.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Why is it that these fast food places can make billions of dollars in profits yet their many of their employees are on food stamps. That is a problem.

They haven't been making billions in profits recently. Their share value is actually dropping. I worked at a fast food place when I was younger and realized that kind of job wasn't for me, and they even offered to make me a assistant manager. Yes, it's a crap job and it should be a incentive that if that is the only job you can get, then to go out and expand your horizons and find a better life.

People work these jobs for a variety of reasons, but to say that is the only job they can get is pure BS. If they can't get my order right at $8.00 an hour, why would I want to pay the business even more money so they can screw it up again?

I believe that when I walk through the doors of one of these businesses, I should be looking at a staff of teens moving up in the world and retirees who do it to get out of the house or for fun and socializing. Not some single mother who is to lazy to take the extra step or Meth head. And that is one of the reasons I do not frequent these places.

I actually can't stand these businesses and wish people would just stop frequenting them. I can go to a Mom and Pop diner and get a healthier meal at roughly the same cost and the service is better as well.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

I have no reason to believe or to trust any right wing economics. I do find it interesting that foxnews and most all other right wing propaganda is teaching people to hate the poor.

Why should I trust anything related to the economy from right wing talking heads?

Spoken like a true liberal, after all they are the ones creating this fiasco, they are the ones who want people on social benefits, they are the ones who want illegals in this country... and WHY? well, they need someone to vote for them in the future... ever notice how after elections all this rigamoral goes away.. until... wait for it... the NEXT ELECTION TIME!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Everyone is focusing on minimum wage.

Great post. Hey don't forget about racism and sexuality.

Its amazing how the MSM and politicians side rail the real issues:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Im sure we all saw the article a half year ago, where Berkley researchers found that Walmart, which employs 1% of the nation, could raise all their minimum wage workers to 12/hour, and it would only have to do a one time price hike on all its inventory by 1.1%. This would cost the average shopper maybe 15$ more a year, and would also add a huge influx of money into our economy, as 1% of our nation would instantly go off welfare benefits and be spending much more into the tax pool as well. I think this is a much more realistic example of the horrors that await wage increases, rather than the fear of a more expensive trash burger. Keeping in mind, that tiny $4 an hour wage hike for them increases their income by over 30%. This would also make them much more able to work towards something better, for all those telling people to "get an education!!!"

To add, finally, I've got an education. I was a medic for 6 years, a psych tech for 12, and also got a degree in sonography (ultrasound). And I'm delivering pizza right now. Not because I want to, I have applied to every single job in the four cities nearest me.....but there are so many desperate job seekers that its really hard to find work, and delivering pizza in my area pays more than phlebotomy, psych tech, cna, or whathaveyou. A new survey found that 95,260,000 people above the age of 16 and not in an institution, such as prison, or military, are not employed in august and haven't been looking for work. They are not counted in labor statistics. Then there are the 10,000,000 or so who are not employed and are looking for work. They are statistically our 6.2% of "unemployed". And this is out of our 250,000,000 workforce.....which means that 36% of working age americans are NOT employed!!! Im sure those among you arguing against minimum wage will say "obviously they just don't want to work". This is bs. The struggle is real. You just fail to see past your own front yard.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: kdyam

You get it. As do many others.

But there are too many people who think emotionally, rather than rationally and refuse to see the writing on the wall. They'll be the ones screaming the loudest about how unfair it is (again) when they realize just what they have brought about...in the name of fairness.

We can force the blind to see about as easily as we can force an addict to get clean.

Many of these folks don't want to see the truth of things, they want to let their bleeding hearts act and speak for them instead of their minds. They aren't truly stupid just misguided.

They somehow get a false sense of security from all of this garbage, like they are fighting for a good cause. ISIS thinks it is fighting for a good cause too.

I bet they will change their tune if in the near future the minimum wage goes to $15/hr, they will be making much less than they were, and when they pull into the gas pump and pay $5 or $6 for a gallon of gas or $6 for a coffee at Starschmuks or Douche brothers, they will complain.

These people have to see it for themselves, they need to feel it, touch and experience it before it hits home.

It's infinity, it's a cycle that will never end..... and we can thank politics and close minded individuals for that.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I actually can't stand these businesses and wish people would just stop frequenting them. I can go to a Mom and Pop diner and get a healthier meal at roughly the same cost and the service is better as well.

Hear hear!

Fast food is pure garbage, I'd rather spend a bit more money for a healthy meal from a local business. Plus, it feels good to support local small businesses rather than corporate chains. Or cook at home, it's so much cheaper and you know every ingredient that's going in to your body.
edit on 5-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: autocorrect making up ridiculous words that make no sense.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

They haven't been making billions in profits recently.

Last year McDonald's made 8.5 billion in profit.
Link
Walmart made 17 billion in profit.
Link
And Subway makes even more than McDonald's. So where did you get this they haven't been making billions in profit lately from?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
of course. The ones pointing out examples of how higher wages equals higher standards of living, statistically demonstrated anywhere you care to look, are the delusional ones. Meanwhile those who act completely blind to the fact that big business has used bribery and corruption to twist things in their favor, who completely fail to see that money legislates power in our nation, and is used with extreme prejudice, the ones failing to see this are the mature minded, rational clear sighted ones.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
dailysignal.com...

People say they deserve the wage increase, and others will also say that such a price increase will make people healthier as people won't pay those prices for junk food. And on and on.

Has any one thought that if these workers get a $15 dollar a hour wage increase how those who do bust their balls currently earning $15.00 are going to feel? I guarantee you that they will want a wage increase as well. And it will spiral out of control.

These are intro into the workplace positions. I used to work for a logistics firm at $16.00 a hour, if I knew that a burger flipper was making the same wage, damn skippy I would want a raise and so would everybody else and then the company would go belly up, if it didn't pass on the cost of operating to the customer.

People who work at Mickey D's as a career and aren't management are idiots. It should be a stepping stone for young kids or for retirees who want to get out of the house and earn a little scratch on the side to supplement their pensions. It should not be a career unless you are a franchise owner.

You think that there is social injustice now? Just wait a couple years after this is implemented. Stores will close, the tax-base will be lower than it is now and everything, literally EVERYTHING will be a hell of a lot more expensive.

Be carefull what you wish for.

Ok, so don't give them a wage increase. Now you'll just have to keep on going to work won't you and carry on paying taxes to top up their pay with benefits.

Instead of the employer paying workers an increase to enable them to stop claiming benefits, you taxpayers will have to keep stumping up the difference they need to live. And bosses can carry on laughing all the way to the bank. No-one loses in this except the taxpayer.

It's a good plan (if you're a boss).

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Or maybe the upper management and multimillionaire CEOs can take a smallish pay cut, and let their workers earn a slightly more livable wage.

Or maybe we can cure cancer and feed the world too.

The worlds priority is messed up I give you that but raising the minimum wage does nothing in the reality that we are living.

In reality, those currently making minimum wage maintain the same buying power at best. While it deeply hurts those that are slightly above the minimum wage along with the middle class who don't see the same increase ratio in pay. Hence their buying power diminishes and the trend continues: poor and middle class gap shrinks ,while the gap between the rich increases.

Minimum wage is the answer the politicians give the people to distract them , but it does not fix the issue.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

And I sympathize with you. I've been stuck part-time since Obama was elected, but that still doesn't mean that you deserve more money just because your life got hard. I don't deserve more money because my life got hard either. What you and I both need is for the political climate to change such that the economy can grow and thrive again so that we can expect to eventually find jobs that will let us both best use our skills.

We do not deserve money just because we have skills. We only deserve it when we can use those skills. And if the opportunities don't exist for that, it isn't the fault of you, me, the employers. It's the economy, and demanding to be paid money that is not commensurate with what we're doing isn't going to fix the problem.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
It is always somebody else's fault and not our, isn't it? I am perfect but everybody else is stupid... Give me a break....a reply to: theMediator

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

Explain to me why someone who asks "Want fries with that?" for a living should make more than I currently do? I am a proofreader and editor. Now, I will grant that the bulk of my skills I learned in my basic education years with a few of them coming from my degree, but I'll bet that you could plug me into the fast food assembly line and have me up and running in a day while you couldn't take very many of those fast food workers, even degreed ones, and put them in my shoes.

But let's repeat this song and dance about how they deserve more per hour than I make.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I hear you Dawg.

I do however, have to answer a couple of points from your post.

You state, that you have an issue with a living wage being applied to part time workers. However, students at colleges and universities are often part timers, and students often need to be able to rely on a source of income in order to gain the skills and education which will allow them to be the next Steven Hawking, Motzart, the architects of the future! Preventing these people from earning a decent wage at the same time, promotes a situation where only those born to money are able to gain an education without having to sell a bodily organ! The introduction of a living wage, means that all of those people who work at places like McDonalds to help them get through college, will actually be able to do ONE job to achieve that goal, leaving the appropriate number of hours in the day for study, sleep, and keeping healthy, rather than having to be in the lab or the lecture theatre, or at work, all the hours of the day.

How many geniuses (bearing in mind that many people who are actually full on prodigious geniuses, have about as much patience for nonsense like functioning their petty mortal flesh existence, as I do for David Cameron) do you think have fallen by the wayside, their intellects for ever lost to society, because they had to work four jobs on top of trying to get a degree? I would say it is probably more than you think.

You also need to remember, that just as here in the UK, not everyone who has part time work, has it because they CHOOSE it. Many people in part time work, have part time work because there is not enough full time work available at the skill level that they happen to occupy, about which those individuals can usually do, precisely nothing. Is it fair that they should be penalised because the companies that are hiring new staff, are only hiring part time?

And as demonstrated by the death of a Dunkin Donuts employee recently, who was working at no less than FOUR individual franchises and still had to live in her CAR to make ends meet (although one could argue, that if one is living in ones car, the ends have utterly failed to conjoin), the idea that part time workers are not working as hard or as long as full timers, is patently false. They often are, but are forced to work multiple jobs (adding travel time to their working day, between each outlet for which they work).

Furthermore, when someone works for a company which offers them a decent, fair wage, a wage they can actually function a life out of, they do two very important things. First of all, they are motivated to keep that job, and that means knuckling under and making sure that they do a bang up job wherever possible. Now, that might not have solved your Chevy issue, because lets face it, if all that is in the lot, is red Chevys, then it is pretty hard to imagine what even the most determined rental employee would be able to do about it, short of going out the back and assembling one on the spot for you.

But I mentioned that a wage one can live on inspires people to do two very important things, and this is the second. Someone who is well paid enough, to rent a home, feed themselves, and save money as well, is not just an absorber of funds, but a spender of currency. Essentially, those who provide one type of goods or services, in order to receive payment for doing so, will go and acquire goods and services for themselves. Perhaps they will save up, and get a car. Perhaps they will save up and marry their significant other. Perhaps they will spread that wealth around local businesses in their communities, meaning that all of those businesses benefit from the proceeds of that individual, as well as the individual themselves living an improved lifestyle.

Perhaps by doing this, by increasing the minimum wage to the point where it functions an existence without augmentation, it will reduce the amount of government assistance that is handed out. The customer, as you quite rightly say, is always right. But the customers opinion is only important if the people who are employed to service their needs, are being correctly treated by the business for which they work, and society as a whole. I certainly would not expect stellar service from someone who was being paid less than the cost of their physical existence, per hour, to be there! I would expect a nervous breakdown, but not good customer service!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lmistor
It is always somebody else's fault and not our, isn't it? I am perfect but everybody else is stupid... Give me a break....a reply to: theMediator

I have an idea, get special interests that tailor our economy to their benefit out of Washington DC and get us back to a Constitutional Republic so that everyone will truly be responsible for themselves.

Special Interests want to tailor our economy to benefit their cronies and don't want to take any responsibility for it.
Responsibility goes both ways.

The "Government" only knows how to spend other peoples money, and that government is made up of special interests.
Noone wants to take a paycut and they want everyone else to pay for it.

The Defense Industry does not want to take a paycut and wants everyone else to prop them up.
The Finance Industry does not want to take a paycut and wants everyone else to prop them up.
The Healthcare Industry does not want to take a paycut and wants everyone else to prop them up.
The Pharmaceutical Industry does not want to take a paycut and wants everyone else to prop them up.
The Insurance Industry does not want to take a paycut and wants everyone else to prop them up.
The Agricultural Industry does not want to take a paycut and wants everyone else to prop them up.
Big Multinational Corporations do not want to take a paycut and want everyone else to prop them up.

The only ones being asked to take a paycut are the ones with no political or monetary backing in Washington DC

That would be the middle class and poor

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join