It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

Unions are far and away from being one of the problems in this country.

www.opensecrets.org...

Misc Business $6,222,186,821
Health $6,129,444,976
Finance/Insur/RealEst $6,114,392,300
Communic/Electronics $5,024,864,161
Energy/Nat Resource $4,541,655,840
Other $3,238,679,056
Transportation $3,112,258,359
Ideology/Single-Issue $2,006,128,150
Agribusiness $1,838,821,458
Defense $1,754,280,083
Construction $669,720,712
Labor $606,259,501
Lawyers & Lobbyists $420,666,755

Labor in the above lists accounts for Public and Private.

We need representation for the majority of the people in this country in our government.
Not another Obama, like Hillary or Romney backed by Corporations and Banks.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Yea, I'm next. Care to back up your opinion with any hard boiled facts? I don't think you have any other than your feelings are hurt as you look at this issue emotionally rather than rationally using hard math.

Hmmm..
Well, you're wrong there, too!!

Take a couple of grad-level courses in Social Welfare, and learn about what has happened in this country since the "Industrial Revolution" 100+ years ago.

You didn't offer any "sources," or "hard math" - but challenge me to do so. I bet I can dig up a couple or five.

I'll get back to you.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The sad thing is that the fast food industry is going to be run by robots.

There was an article in the MSM about a robot that makes burgers. There go most of the cook jobs.

Do you really need one of those brain dead people to take your order or could you just enter the info on a computer screen yourself and then slide your credit card?

This is a shrinking industry as far as labor goes.

Also, who will eat at those places if it costs so much?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77

Also, who will eat at those places if it costs so much?

Who will eat at those fast food places when those jobs are gone via automation
The Robots?

Do you think the top elite will be eating at Fast Food Joints when all the Lower and Middle Class jobs are gone?
Automation is not only kicking in high gear in the Fast Food Industry but every where.

edit on 5-9-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

See, I think rather than setting one single living wage, that everyone is expected to live on, it would be better to see what the costs for each individual location are, and pay people living in that area a minimum of that ammount, plus a percentage to save up, and to set that wage up so that no matter what cost of living changes there are, higher or lower, that the wage ALWAYS tracks in such a way as to totally prevent poverty on the part of a person who has been fortunate enough to secure employment for themselves.

Working poor make up a pretty decent majority of any part time workforce in an area, generally speaking, so I think that this sort of measure would be a great way to ensure that employment really pays off for people at the thin end of the wedge. It would be a damned good start at least.

And Dawg... you are a pretty radical guy, but the trouble with comparing everyone you see or hear of, to yourself and your experience, is that most people are not you. Most people CANNOT acheive what you have using, as you said yourself, stubborness and determination. Most people have understandable weaknesses where this stuff is concerned, weaknesses of body, and sometimes yes, of mind. That does not mean that they ought to suffer poverty because of them. We all have weaknesses, but society seems to have a history of punishing some, and ignoring others. It is a double standard that I have never particularly understood. If George Bush was allowed to be president of the United States, then a sweet natured but timid chap who works in a burger joint surely ought to be allowed to live somewhere that is not full of cockroaches, and wear a pair of jeans younger than he is?

Another thing you might want to consider, is that when you were working your way out of that dark place you mentioned, the cost of living was nothing high of a percentage of the total money earned, a much less advanced problem than it is now for folk across the board! When you ditched high school, what did five dollars buy you at a supermarket? If the increase in the cost of living since I was a kid is anything to go by, I would bet that since YOU dropped out of school, the cost of living relative to the worth of the dollar has changed DRAMATICALLY. The same measures cannot be applied to the two periods in history! Elbow grease in this day and age has less value than it used to, in terms of what can be acheived with gumption alone. I think it is worth remembering that these values DO change over time.

That is not to say that I do not love a well greased elbow. I love working hard!
edit on 5-9-2014 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The problem with that is this:

Who guarantees all that? A market is always in flux, and when you have someone who tries to fix a variable in the system, it distorts the market in strange and often unpleasant and unintended ways.

Let's say the government looks at your formula and calculates an amount and says X/hour is the new living wage and everyone suddenly has to make at least that.

Well, it doesn't happen in a vacuum. Now, every business out there has to adjust things to make ends meet. They have a few ways of doing this - they can raise prices and pass cost to the consumers, they can accept less in profits, adjust their internals or they can go out of business. Most businesses that will survive will usually make their strategy a mix of the first three.

They can do some monkeying around with their internals - shifting wages, changing how they do business, hire less people or fire some, etc., but that only goes so far. They can try to absorb some of the new costs, but frankly, businesses exist to make money, not to serve as jobs programs, and if they don't make money, they can't grow and expand or expect to survive any other potential economic disasters that may come their way. And they can raise their prices, but consumers will only pay so much for their product.

Eventually, you wind up with a foundering economy. At this point, the government can try to fix other points in the economy through things like wage and price controls or even try to lock businesses down to prevent them from moving or going out of business by nationalizing them, turning the economy into a command economy rather than a free market one. However, every command economy on earth has eventually failed. No matter how sophisticated the market modeling is, we still have not come up with an adequate means of building a complete command economy that actually works and doesn't collapse under its own weight.

But all those command economies promised their people living wages and every other basic need.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Older Workers Are Increasingly Entering Fast-Food Industry

According to a study released in October, only 13 percent of fast-food workers get health-insurance benefits at work. In New York State, three in five have received some form of government assistance in the last five years. Meanwhile, executive pay and profits in the industry are on the rise. Last winter, Bloomberg News determined that it would take a Chicago McDonald’s worker who earns $8.25 an hour more than a century on the clock to match the $8.75 million that the company’s chief executive made in 2011.

The classic image of the high-school student flipping Big Macs after class is sorely out of date. Because of lingering unemployment and a relative abundance of fast-food jobs, older workers are increasingly entering the industry. These days, according to the National Employment Law Project, the average age of fast-food workers is 29. Forty percent are 25 or older; 31 percent have at least attempted college; more than 26 percent are parents raising children. Union organizers say that one-third to one-half of them have more than one job — like Mr. Shoy, who is 58 and supports a wife and children.

Faces of fast-food workers getting older

If you're a teenager walking into a McDonald's (MCD +0.06%), Burger King (BKW -1.65%) or Yum Brands' (YUM +0.95%) Taco Bell, chances are the person behind the counter isn't a friend or classmate but one of their parents.

NBC News notes that the recession grayed the fast-food workforce a bit, with 42% of restaurant and fast-food employees now over the age of 25. All of those older workers have at least some college education, including 753,000 with a bachelor’s degree or higher, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Teens face job search hurdles as older workers fill entry-level spots

Older people with work experience are increasingly taking jobs in the service industry, making it challenging for teens to find entry-level jobs at fast-food restaurants and grocery stores, said Cheryl A. Mayforth, executive director of the Workplace employment agency, 1000 Coffeen St. Job prospects for teens also have been diminished by high unemployment in the north country, she said. In December, Jefferson County posted the second highest jobless rate in the state, tying with Hamilton County at 9.1 percent. Lewis County was the third highest at 8.9 percent.

“It’s a trend locally — older workers are taking the place of the young,” Mrs. Mayforth said. “All you have to do is go through a drive-thru restaurant and you’ll see a different face than you’re used to. There are not a lot of younger people that have those jobs here.”

There you go.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

This is a complex issue.

Unions once helped, now they are doing harm, not good. They have become what they once fought against.

Social Welfare has almost always done more harm than good as well, because it was Gov't run.

I have no problem raising the minimum wage...but I do when it comes to doubling it. I think for myself, do my own research and don't just listen to left/right talking points.

A burger flipper or a lawn mower just isn't worth paying $15.00 a hour.

A lot of companies pay under the table for that very reason. The company gets the job done and the worker pockets the entire wage without paying taxes.

I don't look down on those who mow lawns or flip burgers as I love yard work and cooking. But to expect them to get $15.00 a hour is ludicrous. It's not hard work. They are entry level positions. It's as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001
The point is, people are MISSING the point!

Unions, make up more than 80% of the Federal Employment market.

Most jobs since Obama got elected, are Union jobs, OR, given to illegals.

Obama gave an across the board raise to Union workers several months ago.

If the minimum wage increase goes to 15.00, Union workers, keeping in mind that 80% of Union workers are Federal employess, read, Governement, will get another, across the board, non-negotiated, 10-15% MINIMUM raise! For every 0.75 cents minimum wage goes up!! So, do the math, for someone already making 29.00 an hour, or more. And then cry about the rich getting richer. You are HANDING it to them!

In other words, this is a back-door push to get Federal Workers a pay raise, and they are USING poor people, who will never again have a chance at landing a Federal Union job again because of this, to push it through!

Once this passes, the Unions will NO LONGER hire from outside, because it will cost too mucb to train un-skilled labor, who may not pan out and have to be let go.

Therefor, the Union workers are celebrating the fact they will have LESS job competition! You are screwining yourselves out of more and more job opportunities in the future! But, live for the moment, right?

People should be HATING on these Unions, who are working behind the scenes working for this.

It is evil, nefarious, and wholly unfair, because the very people they proclaim to be trying to helo are in actuality being screwed by the Unions!

But, they cannot see past the end of their noses.

If you do not plan to retire after 25 or 30 years at McDonald's, you seriously ought to look a bit deeper, perhaps within, again, the problem is perhaps the person, and not the company.

Seriously, some honesty needs to happen here.

The last employment data I could find, from 2012, shows that only 2% of the population earns minimun wage.

Seriously? 2%?!

Get angry about the Unions using people, and the illegals that are willing to work for less pay, because they get paid under the table.

They may get paid less per hour, but they take home 100%!

edit on 5-9-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well maybe the execs could cut down some of their pay and bonuses to help out as well. Seems like they have some pretty decent earnings compared to their workers. Here is an example of MCDONALD'S CORP pay:

MCDONALD'S CORP - EXECUTIVE PAYOUTS

If everyone does their part then we could afford a higher minimum-wage. I don't necessarily think it should be as high as 15.00 per hour but certainly higher than it currently is.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
sheesh, a lot of people just finding every reason for it to be legal to sweat shop people....

Laws can be made to prevent businesses from price gouging if they have to pay a living wage.

Running a business is not JUST a profit making endeavor it's a public service as well and if anyone isn't willing to treat it as such they don't deserve the privilege and should loose it.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

So? Now you're saying it's the older folks fault that younger workers can't find work?

Total and fabricated BS again.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This is a complex issue.

Oh. So NOW you will take my points seriously?

I don't look down on those who mow lawns or flip burgers as I love yard work and cooking.

Well, how gracious of you.

But to expect them to get $15.00 a hour is ludicrous. It's not hard work. They are entry level positions. It's as simple as that.

Those people have bills to pay, their jobs were shipped overseas, they have obligations, and they still need to eat.
It's a simple as that!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
sheesh, a lot of people just finding every reason for it to be legal to sweat shop people....

Laws can be made to prevent businesses from price gouging if they have to pay a living wage.

Running a business is not JUST a profit making endeavor it's a public service as well and if anyone isn't willing to treat it as such they don't deserve the privilege and should loose it.

So....how should the Mom and Pop businesses do business? A business has one purpose and one purpose only. To make a profit. It's that simple. Some businesses keep it in the family, others choose to invest and try to grow.

The ones that try to grow employ more people and generate more revenue. This is a bad thing?

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: TrueBrit

The problem with that is this:

Who guarantees all that? A market is always in flux, and when you have someone who tries to fix a variable in the system, it distorts the market in strange and often unpleasant and unintended ways.

Raising minimum wage I agree is not the solution, but you inadvertently brought up a good point.

If raising Minimum Wage by 5 bucks is bad for market economics, then on the reverse side, introducing in Chinese Labor that make 1/10 of what an American makes is disastrous for our people where the cost of living is 10 times higher here than it is in China.

link   

Your comments? You haven't read through the entire thread I take it? I have already said such.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Libertygal

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Maybe if these restaurants are forced to pay $15 per hour, they'll insist on decent intelligent workers and not just hire any brain dead moron off the street. I'd gladly pay a couple extra bucks for my food. Might boost the quality of the whole fast food experience.

Do you not see the irony in this?

These are low paying jobs, for a reason. Because morons need jobs, too.

By raising the pay, and thereby requiring the intelligence quotient to be higher, you are thereby eliminating the ability of those morons to get any job.

Then, we are right back where we started.

These are entry level jobs, for a reason. They give people a chance to start at the bottom, like we all must do, and get a foothold, and move up the ladder.

Only the morons who cannot, or, lack the will, or intelligence quotient, do not move up the ladder.

So, some people think morons should be paid the same as smart, strong willed, hard working people that are willing to sacrifice to move up. Then, there is no gap, right? Any moron can now be a CEO, and if you refuse them that position, you are therefor racist or classist.

The problem is, by raising minimum wage, and creating a new class of worker, you are making the job market even smaller for morons.

Why not, instead, just come out and say it? Idiots deserve CEO pay, too? That's really the end game here, isn't it?

These jobs are a way of seperating the wheat from the chafe. Sorry, but that's the reality of it. You work hard, you move up, you move out, you move on, and do better. You earn what you deserve.

This is creating a whole class of people that want the same pay because they are a warm body, showing up, doing a half arsed job, wanting a paycheck. The people with the real drive get stuck pulling the weight, proving their worth, then, moving on.

And guess what? The morons remain behind, awaiting the new influx of newbies, who repeat the same cycle. The morons that are lifeless, dormant, and unwilling to change, that force others to pull their weight, that force others to prove their worth, that will again, move up, move on, and become more successful.

They now want what those that move up, move on, and become more successful want.

What ever happened to the simple concept, if you don't like the job, or the pay, get another job?!

But, you see, the people who have their hands out, wanting more for nothing, have learned by placation, that they don't have to work harder or work smarter.

Just gritch and moan loud enough, and soon, someone may placate you.

In reality, they are being used, however. Yes, victimized.

The real story, and ask yourselves why, why are the Unions, who have NO stake in this game (these are non-union companies that will never be union), so strongly behind this?i

I can answer that for you. I have, many, many times.

If the minimum wage goes up, Unions get a raise by default! No negotiations! Bam! Fat pay raise! At LEAST 15%!

The Unions are using these people like little puppets, and the morons are too stupid to see it, and they are eating it up.

The Unions get a FAT raise, and guess what? Union Labor Pools get smaller, because they just eradicated a whooole group of people that MAY have had a chance at an entry level, non-experienced workers job.

Once it happens, the Labor Unions will only hire from within, because it costs too much to train morons that simply show up for a paycheck, and work off the backs of others!

Even the Uinions KNOW this, are happy about it, because it greatly increased their pay, and hugely decreases job competition.

But, the morons are too stupid to see, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

What you once used to have to work for, work your way up the ladder, everyone wants from an entry level, out of highschool, first job.

Big fat clue. If you are still working at McDonald's, and are not a Senior making a little extra pay on top of SS, or, are over 18, and only gotten one 10 cent raise, YOU ARE A LOSER!

If you stay, you have the problem. If you bend over and ask for it, you get what you deserve. If you can't do better, you should have stayed in school. If you need more money, quit smoking!

Have kids you can't pay for? Wrap the whopper!

I am sick of paying for everyone elses lazy, lacsidasical attitude when me, and millions like me all started out the same, and moved up and moved on.

If you can't get past an entry level job, look within. The problem is YOU, not the company!

And lastly, who do you think you are to walk in, sign an employment agreement, then CRY about it?! Get a life.

And yes, I am tiiiired of wearing kid gloves, because I might upset someone. Soneone needs to speak the truth, once and for all. And being nice doesn't seem to get the point across.

If they raise minimum wage, Unions will be the only winners, many will be lifetime unemployed, and businesses will close, because no one will pay that, for fast food.

Maybe, afterall, that is the end goal.

Nanny state, with Michelle Obama telling you how you can, and cannot, spend your food stamps. Like someone said, be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

I know I will get a fat juicy raise. But, then, I cook at home, and worked my way up. No shortage of jobs for me.

I agree with everything you said... And I think you effectivlely called out the majority of the posters in favor of this debacle morons, since; given their vehemence, are most likely working in fast food themselves.

I applaud and star you.. you go LiberyGal

link   

Okay, I'm done here. You carry on, junior. Believe in your laissez-faire system - call my education and knowledge BS - I don't care. Grow up.

Got your college degree? Were you offered an UNPAID internship? Do you have debts to pay? Do you have dependents? Did your savings get wiped out when your spouse's job was shipped overseas and companies downsized?

No??!
Oh happy you.
Live a couple of more decades - read a couple of dozen more articles and papers from serious news outlets - get married, start a family, try to support a real grown up home -

Then come back and talk to me.

link   
Bring on the mandatory wage increase!

Automated Burger Machine

It will make far easier to justify buying a couple of these...lol.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonnez
Well maybe the execs could cut down some of their pay and bonuses to help out as well. Seems like they have some pretty decent earnings compared to their workers. Here is an example of MCDONALD'S CORP pay:

MCDONALD'S CORP - EXECUTIVE PAYOUTS

If everyone does their part then we could afford a higher minimum-wage. I don't necessarily think it should be as high as 15.00 per hour but certainly higher than it currently is.

McDonald's Corporate pay has NOTHING to do with ANYONE who owns a Franchise, and most McDonald's are franchises.

They pay a franchise fee, and that's IT. Most McDonald's are NOT corporate owned.

You people that gritch and whine about killing small.businesses, that's EXACTLY what you will be doing!

Most businesses are franchises, and not owned by the Corporate.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join