It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hernando's Hideaway. Another Thread "almost certainly not for you."

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

I have very little hair to let down, lol.

Truth be told, I was on holiday until Monday night and needed yesterday to catch up. And to write this thread to relate a little weirdness that happened to me on the trip.

Brandy-7, barkeep, please! And light on the 7!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Hi, You were the Very Next Person I was Greeting,,,, No, No, No, Never Last But the I Save The BEST for Last

We don't mind at all. that would be very nice of you, thank you, We're Honored!

To write my name in Chinese it is like this: 国华 = Guo Hua
You can go here and type in my name as it is in English and then see the translation in Chinese and Click on the speakers to hear it pronounced in Chinese.
www.freetranslation.com...
But Actually your "Goo-O-Hwa" can be just Guu Hwa, the G with a U sound is very good for Americans.

Thank you my Best friend!
My husband is just Shacking his head,,,, saying, I Petty the Man!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Aye-yi-yi, you've all been busy ... Could I have something strong please? my drive home was abnormally long and unnecessarily complicated. First, there are the two normal on-ramps to the highway I use that are both shut thanks to road destruction and then the new IKEA was opening today, so the traffic cops wouldn't let me on at my third choice of on-ramp ... so I wound up taking the scenic tour of parts of the city I normally avoid. Then, I was almost home and had to stop and rescue a turtle from out of the middle of the road. And then, nothing would do, but that I had to give the poor fellow a ride to the nearest open field. You know how turtles are - completely inoffensive to everyone and too many people are all too willing to run over them for no other reason than that they can.

So ...

On to the subject of communication. It actually touches more on my previous job with kids who had learning disabilities. We also worked with kids who had comprehension issues. They interpreted everything literally. I worked with one girl who would read a story problem that told her that the tomato plants grew 8' above the ground, and that's really what she was thinking - the plants were indeed hovering 8' in mid-air. Another kid we had read a story about a girl named Dot and was picturing the Wal-Mart dot in her head.

What I'm getting to here is that language is entirely symbolic. The sounds (or gestures) we use when we communicate have been pretty much arbitrarily assigned to represent certain concepts. And over time, we attach pretty complicated mental imagery to them that can include visual, auditory, scent, etc., ... all kinds of sensory and emotional references to complete our understanding of the concepts those things represent.

So, when I type "chair," my mind is supplying me with a wealth of images that go with it giving that word its meaning and connotation. When any one of you read it, your minds will do that same. The thing is that no one of us will have exactly the same images or connotations to go with the word. And when we make it more complex by adding words on top words into sentences and paragraphs ... my mind will always layer unique shades of meaning just like yours will and my mind will always construct images that are going to be unique when compared to any of yours.

Most of the time, this won't matter too much, but every so often, there will be issues where it will make a big difference. Where word choice brings out bad emotion due to connotation, say, or where differing linguistic backgrounds create misunderstanding.

Maybe?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

What a surprise! Really glad to see you! I stop in for a quick one (well, three or four) before the show to steady my nerves.

I read your thread. As you might know, I'm Catholic, so the Communion of Saints is an easy idea for me to understand and accept. I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea that your wife, or someone acting on her behalf, nudged things to get that result.

There are also coincidences. How do we tell them apart? That's more of a question from someone questioning it. For us, I think we know. When you spend time with God and his angels, you get a feel for their style, their signature. We can be fooled, but not easily, and their are protections as you know. Very nice thread.

Hang around for a while. Oh, most important. DO NOT ASK GUOHUA TO DANCE! Maybe you could take it, but I couldn't.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hi, I'll wonder over to your thread shortly, The Weirdness I need to read

OH, Brandy-7 and that's light on the 7 coming your way, you want that at room Temperature or you want an ice cube?
I only have my drinks at room temp, it's much healthier for you.
My husband has to have an ice cube.

I'm so very glad your back and don't worry about your hair!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You're Home,,, Go to see you and what are you drinking my friend, OH, Hernando's Hideaway is filling up,,,
Just like Family!!

Long drive home you say, Music is best for long drives, you agree?
Or a Pinching your husbands arm to hear him "Yelp"
then give him a kiss, that's good for long drives too!

So, your work day has finally come to an end and you can relax, Good For You, it's 12:30 here in Phoenix and I have to check the mail.

Keep talking,,,,,,

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Ketsuko! Wow! That contribution will pay your bar tab for a long while.

I'm impressed with you. The traffic problems were enough to frustrate anybody, but you were still able to set your problems aside, see the turtle and go out of your way to rescue it. Nicely done. Hip, Hip, Hooray for ketsuko!

May I add that I'm glad you didn't bring it with you to show it around Hernando's. I heard someone in the kitchen muttering something about turtle soup.

Good stuff on communication, too. It's going to be hard, probably impossible, to get people to double check to make sure that their actual meaning got across. It's easier when the person you're talking with returns an entirely unexpected response. That's a clue something's broke down.

When I was in school, a professor told me "You have to get to the point where, if a lawyer calls you a 'son of a bitch,' your response is 'What did you mean by that.' "

We also have to think about what we're saying (another impossibility?), in order to see possible areas of confusion ahead, and work to avoid them.

Great conversation. You can talk to me any time.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

On the rocks, if you please.

I always drink things cold, I didn't know that there was a health benefit to drinking them room temperature.

On the subject of long drives… on Monday, Oscar the dog and I drove from Montana to Minnesota, 12 1/2 hours with only two short refueling stops. Thanks to my satellite radio and iPod in the car, time flew by, as I listened to two hours of 40s on 4, six hours of lectures on St. Augustine (the theologist, not the city, lol,) a full operatic version of "Pirates of Penzance," Paul Page's "The Big Island Says Aloha" and two hours of Ozzy's Boneyard to close out the trip.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

For me, and we'll talk about it on the show tonight during Marc's segment on whether the dead can come into our dreams, the difference between coincidence and some sort of otherworldly intervention is in the timing.

One day a year or so ago, I was sitting in Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament (for non-Catholics, that's sitting in an empty church, with a consecrated Communion wafer exposed on the altar,) and I got this overwhelming sense that I needed to "move over" -- I was sitting at the end of the pew.

I did move over, and a moment later got the sense that my wife was sitting on my right side, where she had always sat during church. I even "felt" her laying her head on my shoulder (something she did not do in church.) It was a good feeling, but it only lasted a moment.

Later that afternoon, my brother-in-law sent me a video of a song that he had recorded, and for the visual, he used pictures of Patti. Right in the middle of the song, and on screen for about a minute… the only picture I know that is of her with her head on my shoulder.

Timing…

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Yes, well, my personal philosophy at the moment is that every single problem in the world, no matter how big, starts with us, at the level of the personal.

This excludes problems of the natural kind, of course, although how we choose to respond to them again starts with us.

Ghandi was likely more right then he knew when he said we had to be the change we want to see in the world.

@ adjenson

I think I'd be ending a drive like that with some Crazy Train by Ozzy myself.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

To everybody else in the place, I'm not preaching, feel free to ignore this.

There are many times when I'm sorry for the people who are not believers and in communion with God. Sure, the immortal soul issue is number 1, but this world is so small and gray if we don't listen for God's movement in our lives. The truly significant events are those such as you've described.

If, for no other reason, I'm grateful to be in the same Universe He is.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I'm Very Surprised My dear Wife didn't ask what state you lived in, Because she said to me, Look, Turtle cross the road there in mrs. ketsuko state, I wonder where this is, just think husband, Turtle soup every day and I don't need to buy the turtle shells for the medicine.

ketsuko, For the Sake of your Turtle,,,,, Don't tell her!!!!
I don't mind pay for turtle shells and shipping cost from Louisiana.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I always drink things cold, I didn't know that there was a health benefit to drinking them room temperature.

OK, I'm back now, Tried to edit a post made by you know who,,,,,about my driving,,,, but the timer thingy said I was out of edit time, Four (4) hours to edit My Chinese A$$, that's ok, he's right,,,, but still,,,, I only hit slow movers!!

Yes, Very cooled drinks are not good for your stomach or your throat, Shock to system, remember the young ones getting belly aches when they drink something very cold?
Nothing has changed, you're just older but still how many people drink a cup of warm milk before bed or warm butter milk?
Helps your stomach and actually a cup a Warm Water is even better than any milk product.
Warm Water helps with digestive process and if your filling plugged at bed time, Warm Water in a glass with a tea spoon of Castor Oil or Olive Oil mix in.
By Morning you will be Much, Much better
!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Charles, did you get my name ok?
You can always call me by my family mane it is YE that is my Middle mane in America.
Yes, Like " Hear Ye, Hear Ye."

did the translator help at all?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

It was very unusual actually. We don't see many turtles on the roads once you get past the spring season. I'm surprised this guy was out and about in the fall like this. He was maybe a painted turtle, and I felt bad that I didn't know a close source of water to set him free at, but he's a turtle. It's not like he'll dry out. He'll find water, and the open field is better for him than the middle of a road in a suburban neighborhood.

And I've heard that about cold liquids. My husband doesn't like ice in his drinks. He says it's very European to drink stuff without ice. All I know is that I mostly prefer to drink mine cool in the summer, but if I can't have it cool, then I'd rather have it warm to hot.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My Friend, Rememer you and I talked about the field your husband works in with the Large Asian population, it's the Financial field isn't it?
I found this today.

The U.S. economy is the largest economy in the world.
However, it wasn't always the largest.

And it's unlikely to remain the largest economy for much longer.

The chart above comes to us via Deutsche Bank's Jim Reid.

"As Alexander, Rome and Britain fell from their positions of absolute global dominance, so too has the US begun to slip," Reid writes. "America’s global economic dominance has been declining since 1998, well before the Global Financial Crisis. A large part of this decline has actually had little to do with the actions of the US but rather with the unraveling of a century’s long economic anomaly. China has begun to return to the position in the global economy it occupied for millenia before the industrial revolution."

One look at the chart, and it's pretty clear that it may not be very long before we start saying the U.S. is number 2.

To See The Chart
Like I said before to other friends an other members, Don't Bother to Learn Spanish or French those Languages will not be the Financial Centers of the Future, Mandarin and English will be.

I read where young people with degrees are out of work or making $10. an hour, But I've seen a web based business that has an Large office here in Phoenix that you can either work from home or in the office as a translator for many languages.
Translating Medical and Educational and Legal Transcripts and other Documents.
They pay the Mandarin and Cantonese fluent translators Much more than the Spanish and French, They wanted to start me at $22. an hour to start for the first 60 days, but after the test, My English in reading was not good enough. That's OK.

My neighbor I sent, she is Mexican and her husband left her and the seven kids she needed a job, she is legal and specks fluent Spanish, she did good and the started her at $12. an hour and after 60 days the now pay her $14. an hour, so she keeps her house and she gets assistance for food.

Just my thoughts, Look at the Future, Not what your Parents did, it may not be good enough!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

No, actually he's in pharmaceutical. He works for a German-based company that's been in business since before WWI and is a global company now. He works in their animal pharma division doing stability and compliance for all their products, so he has to be familiar with the various testing requirements in all the markets. He deals with all the Asian markets as well as European, Middle Eastern, US and South American regulatory agencies on a mostly indirect basis in his day-to-day work.

He just got done with the regular EU inspection yesterday, in fact. He's very happy because it means he can now go back to a semi-normal work schedule.

His company offers Rosetta Stone programs for employee use, and he's planning on picking up German for obvious reasons, and after that, he's looking at Chinese.
edit on 10-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sorry, EOMS. Somehow I missed your post, maybe I was talking to the blonde and was distracted.

I don't care much for exposing too much of myself, it doesn't make me happy, but for a guy like you? I like what you've done so far, so why don't I cannonball into the pool?

THE SHOW STARTS AT THE TOP OF THIS HOUR If you want to listen in, it's great with me.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

THE SHOW STARTS AT THE TOP OF THIS HOUR If you want to listen in, it's great with me.

That was excellently presented Charles. Well done and I'm glad I listened in.

Got a feeling we may have some new Hernando's soon.

Now where's the bartender, in dire need of a double Jack and Coke.

edit on 168pm5656pm102014 by Bassago because: can't speel

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Double Jack and Coke is on it's way, You'll have to feel us in, we didn't get to listen
Prior engagement.

My Rum & Coke is also coming next.

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join