It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hernando's Hideaway. Another Thread "almost certainly not for you."

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Anyhow, we wondered what it might be like for someone who spoke Chinese as a native language because Chinese is also a tonal language. What if you were not only losing your phonemes, but were also tone deaf? Do Chinese speakers have problems with speech if they are tone deaf? Or am I way off base?

a reply to: ketsuko

Hello, How are you? WoW
WOW
A teacher with the Troubled Children, the children that take Sooooooooooooooo Muchhhhhhhhhhh Patents

I am Honored to know you, you are a Very Special Person.
Those children I understand all to well, that is what I do here as a substitute for Alhambra School District, this children are not only mentally handicapped, come from poor Hispanic Families, I often bring in Oranges and Lemons from my trees and Grapes when their Ripe to give to the class I may have.

I have not been substituting this week, My husband asked I stay home.

Now to your question, YES! you're Correct, but it's more intense.
There is no Chinese alphabet as you use or understand in America but there are over 6500 characters in the Chinese language.
Also, the Pitch and loudness of your voice when speaking,( as my husband always say's, The Chinese Can't Whisper, They Never Be-Able To Hide!0 as a Lot to do with the Meaning of that Character being spoken.

Let me try to explain a little from my school days.
Chinese has no alphabet, they use pictogram's. Each word has its own pictogram.
You can compare it with numbers, if you read 5, you will say five. But you will understand that it is a collection of 5 items.

In other words in writing numerals you write down the meaning, not it’s sound. And so it is in Chinese, Chinese write down the meaning not the sound.
So you have to memorize the sound (pronunciation) of Chinese Characters, like you have to for numbers. This is not to difficult since Chinese words only exists out of one syllable, like wo (I 我 wǒ), ta (he 他 tā), da(big 大 dà).

The only difficulty is that each syllable exists in 4 tones, first tone is a level tone (doesn’t go up nor down), second tone rises as in a question, third tone goes down and then up as if you are surprised, and the fourth tone goes down as hen you are angry.
And this is where our difficulty with Chinese Children come into play, Not only the Vast number of Character's but most important the Tone and when the Tone of your Voice is Changed for what Character.

I Really Hope I Helped you and any one else who may have been interested understand a little better.
Thank you For Caring and asking.
You're Such a Good Person,,,,, pleas come back and let's have a Tea!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Also what was interesting is even back then in the late 60's the American schools were several years behind. Glad I got most of my education in Europe and Asia.

a reply to: Bassago
BACK IN THE 60's BEHIND,,,,,
That was then,,,, Think How Far behind American School's are Today!

In China, most students go to School at lest 10 hours a day and have 4 hours of home work each night.
In China, Both Parents will work and one parents income will be Only For The Education Expense of Their Child, the Best Tutor's and a Change of School even if they have to Pay for the new school.
Another Great Career Path for the up and coming, Lear mandarin or at lest the basic's and become an English Language Tutor in China to the Wealthy up and coming Middle Class.
Big Bucks!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
My husband works in international regulatory a bit and he's getting a feel for how the Asians do things (I use the term Asian because he deals with regulatory in all the Asian markets, not just China, but Korea and Japan, too). What you are saying syncs up with the attitudes he describes although the younger Korean generations are not quite as hide-bound. I think China is going to stay that way because of the way they are as a corporate-state structure. It won't be changing soon unless their internal debt problems bring them down.

But we won't be in any position to compete and maintain any kind of footing if we don't start turning our country around soon.

And I thought so! What you are telling me confirms some of my suspicions about the language. It must be difficult to memorize your entire language, but then, the kids we work with are attempting to do just that which is the root of part of their trouble. Your memory only carries you so far in our school system. The really smart ones usually make it until about third or fourth grade before it comes apart.
edit on 9-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952
Charles, I hope you remember to say Hello to your Mother for All of us here at Hernando's Hideaway
She's a Special Lady with a Special Son that we all Respect and Feel Honored to be acquainted with,,,,, BOY, OH BOY, look at the new words I'm learning,,,,,, acquainted

You know, Charles you could talk about the Fine Wines and only the most expensive Liquors and Beer we have and our Coffee and Tea area is to Die For our on special host's for Tea are our friend's, ketsuko and EyesOpenMouthShut and let's not forget, Expat888.
Our Special Host for our Wine drinkers are, Thurisaz and of-course Expat888.
Our special Host for our Coffee drinkers are, Bassago, charles1952, guohua ( with shot of Rum ), DISRAELI, and Expat888.
Our Very Special Experts on our Very Expensive Liquors Cabinet,Thurisaz, ketsuko, EyesOpenMouthShut, Bassago, charles1952, guohua, HarbingerOfShadows, and our House Expert of all things Drinkable,,,,,Expat888!!!!
:
edit on 9-9-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Yes, yes, yes, I understand Exactly what you're saying about the Children, Their memory Span is the Problem, do you agree?
Plus, their is the home life and the TV as a Baby Sitter.
The TV should Never be a Baby Sitter, that is also where China and America differs, in China at lest one set of Grandparents live with or in the same building as the parents and the Grandparents duty to tutor and teach and monitor a child's home work until the parents get home.

Our daughter did not see a TV until she was 11 years old and only under some ones supervision and after her home was done.
Cruel and unusual Punishment some people may say, but our daughter is 24 this year with 2 degrees and completing her Masters in Acupuncture and Ancient Chinese Herbal Medicine and Healing. They've already offer her two positions at the University.
Parents need to take back Control of their Children and invite a grand parent or two into their own as a role model and tutor or pay for Private School and home Tutor or Home Schooling, But Get Away from the TV and Public Schools,,,,,,
Mrs. Obama only cares about what your eating not what your learning!

ETA,,,, OH WOW,,
I was Ranting,,,,,, It's Rum & Coke time,,, Bar Tender
Room Temperature please, no ice,

edit on 9-9-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

We've started nibbling around the edges of important issues, but Bassago thinks it's time to get down to work

I did not, you just said the bad word.

and he may very well be right.

Am not, am not, am not.

As a suggestion, look at Hernando's. Believers, non-believers, Western, Eastern, Men, Women, Old, Young (Do we have anyone under 40?), pretty much different everything, although I don't know whether we have Blacks or Muslims here. Peace, harmony, caring, and a search for agreement.

Under 40? Don't know but when I was under 40 the internet barely worked.

Not sure if it's so much a search for agreement as it is acceptance of each others differences and perspectives. Maybe Fox TV should have put us on that island to start our own society instead of their current choices. (New Utopia reality show that I've not seen.)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Under 40? Don't know but when I was under 40 the internet barely worked.

a reply to: Bassago

When I was Under 40,,, The Internet Was a Central Committee State Secret and The People Communist Party of China Invited The Internet!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: guohua

That can't be, everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet.

I don't know if the Central Committee keeping it secret was so bad (just kidding.) Over here we had to use 300-1200 baud modems so in the US it could have qualified as torture under the Geneva Convention. Not to mention the financial extortion of paying the long distance charges to AT&T just to be able to connect to something.

edit on 040pm1616pm62014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm 39. Does that count?

That's sort of under 40.

Since we're all drinking, how about some "Christmas" music.

My grandfather was a Spike Jones fan, and when we all got together at Christmas, we would sometimes get out his old Spike Jones records and listen to them. So, in a sense, it is Christmas music to me.

As for serious issues, we indirectly tackled whirled peas. After that, where do we go?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

As for serious issues, we indirectly tackled whirled peas. After that, where do we go?

After whirled peas I vote we drink... and listen to Christmas music.

Oh I get it "whirled peas"

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

My husband works in international regulatory a bit and he's getting a feel for how the Asians do things (I use the term Asian because he deals with regulatory in all the Asian markets, not just China, but Korea and Japan, too). What you are saying syncs up with the attitudes he describes although the younger Korean generations are not quite as hide-bound.

Hello, My dear, I'm back, It's Rum & Coke Time, I'm not driving
as a matter of fact, My husband won't ride in and Vehicle I'm Driving, He says it's Not Safe? Can You Believe That,,,, Me an Accomplish Student of Hit'em and Back Over'em LongTongs Driving Schools For Crazy Asian's!
You seen the comedy show where the women puts the car through the Double Glass Doors at a Office Building

Now you Know Her, But it wasn't a Car it was a Pickup Truck, My husband was a little upset with me,,,, I had it in Drive instead of Reverse and Gave It Some Gas,,,, Hmmm Maybe To Much gas,,,,, Go then it was Sunday and none was in the Office Complex, because I went through the Glass Double Doors into the Reception Area.
I had just stopped to get the Listing agents number.
Sorry I said when I called her

Anyway,,, I'm a Much Better Driver Now, I only Hit People would don't walk or run fast enough

I understand you husbands feelings, it would be hard at first I'm sure, Maybe even a bit intimidating to some people.
I'm sure your husband is handling this well, just be honest and open, Asian people respect Honesty.
Asian's often take their time, they do not Rush into a project, It is Well Planed out and discussed.
Some times, The More Traditional Business Man, will actually ask for advice or guidance from their Ancestors, yes, it's true.

I respect your husband for the difficulties he must be having to work through.
This is What he's telling You!!!
Just imagine What that Chinese Business Man or Woman is Telling their Loved one in their Life about their American Contact!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
a reply to: guohua

That can't be, everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet.

I don't know if the Central Committee keeping it secret was so bad (just kidding.) Over here we had to use 300-1200 baud modems so in the US it could have qualified as torture under the Geneva Convention. Not to mention the financial extortion of paying the long distance charges to AT&T just to be able to connect to something.

OH,
The Jokes we used to tell about AL & Tipper when I worked in Beijing.

Just Untranslatable

Bar Keep, This Ones On Me!
Round For The House!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I see you returned to the Religion forum. LMAO.

Suggest a return visit to the mental ward for you ...

Yeah I think he better start on the meds again.

What is it about ATS and schizophrenics?

edit on 079pm4040pm72014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Im 33.
Youngest one here?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Im 33.
Youngest one here?

Think you won the contest, so far anyway.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think 33 makes it. Congratulations, young 'un.

A little bit of news and two disappointments. I visited my mother, as you may recall, on Sunday night. She gave me a pedometer from the Brookstone Company which she really enjoys using, with the instructions to get another she could use as a present for a friend, and some replacement batteries as her's has died.

Of course, the ultimate, supreme, law of products took over. When you find a superior product which you plan on buying and recommending, it is removed from the market. I can't count the number of times it's happened to me.

She called today and said she'd like to start using her pedometer again, so I bought the batteries, spent the evening at her place and have just returned home. She's still looking good, and now she knows a little about ATS, more about Hernando's, and even more about some of the Posters here.

One disappointment. Bassago, you're objecting to work here at Hernando's? Well, since I thought the request was coming from you, I suppose I'll have to back off, but what did you mean by agenda?

Second disappointment. No one has said how astonishing the music of Lionel Hampton is. Well, I suppose it's an acquired taste.

Not sure if it's so much a search for agreement as it is acceptance of each others differences and perspectives. Maybe Fox TV should have put us on that island to start our own society instead of their current choices. (New Utopia reality show that I've not seen.)

We can't find (and I don't want to find) agreement in everything. But surely there are some places we can start from that have near universal agreement. I accept people are different. I also accept that some people have communicable diseases and should, in certain areas, be avoided.

I respect people, I have less (or no) respect for some opinions. Whirled peas? I think we have a recipe for it right here. We solved the controversy over mentioning the site on the show without rancor or disruption. We care about each other, and we allow different types and opinions in.

Make Hernando's all over the world, start merging them, and Presto! Add a little butter, spices, and baby onions, and whirled peas!

Thank you, thank you all. I appreciate your acclaim, and assure you I will remain the humble "just a guy" I've always been. No. No thank you very much, but I don't want to be crowned Miss America. Sorry, no thanks, I appreciate the gesture, but the Nobel Peace Prize doesn't have the same luster it used to.

But I will have a good scotch with just a kiss of water to bring out the flavor, please.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
Think you won the contest, so far anyway.

I hope the prize is a beer.

@Charles, too bad about the pedometer, try looking in flea markets and places like goodwill, you might find another one one day.
Amazon is pretty nice for things like that also
edit on 9/9/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/9/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Hey, man, thanks! I never thought of that. That's a great idea! I haven't used Amazon, and the only thing I've bought online are cigars. Maybe it's time to experience new things.

Oh, the prize? Well, just a beer would be pretty cheap. You win .....(drum roll, please) ..... a dance with guohua!!!! You should have seen her earlier, WOW!

One small difficulty is that I'm not sure whether it's Mr. or Mrs. guohua you'll be dancing with, but either way it will be an event you'll remember for a long time.

By the way what's on your mind? I suspect there's quite a lot there that I can't even imagine. You can tell me, nobody else will ever find out.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Good show Charles!
I laughed so hard at the dance with G thing, i guess it wouldn't matter much which one as long as they didn't step on my feet.
Whats on my mind? This and that. I guess it really depends on how far you want to get into the pool.
Do you just want to wet your toes, or cannonball right into the deep end?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Dear, Dear Charles, The Noble Prize's Luster Would Only Go Dull in Presence of Your Greatness.

I was under the impression my husband commented on your choice of music, sense his been play it and other Lionel Hampton down loads today from the internet and Driving Me CRAZY!
Thank You Very Much!

You just come on Over Here Big Boy and Have a set,,,,,

But I will have a good scotch with just a kiss of water to bring out the flavor, please.

I'll get you that Scotch and Water and I'll give you a Kiss on the Cheek,,,,,,

Feeling Better?

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join