It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities Are Causing Spiders To Grow Bigger

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

A new study has shown that urban areas are causing spiders to grow larger and multiply more rapidly.

Researchers collected more than two hundred golden orb weaver spiders from parks and bushland around Sydney in Australia and found that, when compared to their counterparts living in the wilds, the specimens appeared to be decidedly bigger.

As it turns out, city-dwelling arachnids grow to larger sizes, are better fed and have more babies than those living in the countryside.

The researchers believe that a number of factors may be contributing to this such as the tendency for street lights to attract insects that the spiders then catch and eat.

The paved surfaces and lack of vegetation also tend to make cities warmer, prompting spider growth.

Despite posing a problem for arachnophobes however a booming spider population is actually considered to a good thing in cities as not only do the arachnids help control pest species within urban areas but they are also a prime food source for the local birds as well.

Source: www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

I'm not happy about this. I hate spiders. From the article I understand that this is good for the birds, and the spiders eat the smaller bugs, but still how much bigger will they get?

I don't live in Australia, but I assume this is happening all around the world.
I was walking home one night from my friend's house. I live in the city. While walking I see something pass me by, walking faster than me. First I thought it was a rat, but then I looked more carefully and it was a big a$$ spider! It was the size of a fat mouse.

I almost screamed.

Anyways, I thought this news was interesting and scary.
I'm sorry about posting the ugly spider picture.
Here, have something nicer to look at.

edit on 22/8/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I know you don't like them RR.

I have a very big friendly spider living in my letterbox and as long as he is in there, I am not bothered by anything else. Of course he is one of our friendly ones here in Australia and he is about the size of a small plate.

P

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
I know you don't like them RR.

I have a very big friendly spider living in my letterbox and as long as he is in there, I am not bothered by anything else. Of course he is one of our friendly ones here in Australia and he is about the size of a small plate.

P

Right you are.
I'd simply burn the letter box and buy a new one.

edit on 22/8/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

That is easily the worst thing I have ever heard.... Ever.

I'm going to get my slipper and bug spray and have a fear cry in the bathroom where it's safe

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

I had a spider living on my Frontera with a web between the wing mirror on the drivers side and the door panel. Whenever I got in to drive somewhere Spidey would get onto its web and simply hang there as we sped along. My sons roared when they saw this and friends commented. The faster I went the more the webb wobbled and spidey clung on.

I was honestly sad when it disappeared.

I have never been scared of spiders ands have always had the job of getting the glass and paper to remove them from harms way in the house.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Well, I happen to think that spiders are the most fascinating ancient order of creepy crawlies which exist today. I also think that they are beautiful in their construction, and unlike many people, I find their method of locomotion elegant rather than terrifying.

However, yesterday, while working on a customers property (in my professional capacity as a locksmith) I was surprised by one. I was removing a lever handle from the exterior side of a rear access door on a building which had been converted into flats. The door had not been opened for a considerable time, as evidenced by the number of cobwebs around the doorframe. I withdrew the screws from the corners of the face plate of the handle, and then separated the faceplate from the skin of paint that was also holding it to the door. Under the plate, directly over the keyhole, was a muscle tone red spider, with a span of leg of about two and a quarter inches, and a body about three quarters of an inch long , by half an inch wide.

Even as enamoured of the genus as I am, I have to admit to falling backward in surprise!

Now, that may not seem large to those of you "lucky" enough to live in Australia, or in other locations famed for their enormous arachnid species, but for our region, that is a significant beasty! My colleague does not appreciate them as I do, and promptly flicked the spider out the door, using a deactivated angle grinder that he had been previously using for its intended purpose. Upon landing, this creature immediately turned at bay, and rose up upon its rear legs to express its dislike of my colleagues behaviour toward it, then charged at him. Somewhere along its route, it thought better off it, and scuttled off underneath a large industrial sized garbage container.

I wish I had my camera with me, since I have never seen that particular shade of spider before, nor have I encountered one in an uncontrolled environment, which was as ready to express a threat of violence as this specimen. As great of a fan of the arachnid family as I am, I will be more careful from now on, since this incident represents a totally different experience of spiders than I am used to. Mostly I let spiders crawl on me, and live in my home as much as possible. I am not about to change that aspect of my life, but I will certainly be more careful when working on long disused doors, to be mindful of their propensity for being home to large spiders!

ETA: Possible false widow living in our shop...

There has been an explosion in local populations of these critters also!
edit on 22-8-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added video

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Just keep in mind spiders eat all those other things we like less. Like ants. I detest tiny ants! .

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Every morning I have a family of spiders in my bathtub.
I used to catch them and let them go outside but I got
tired of that since next morning there'd be more spiders
in the bathtub. Now I send them down the drain. Some of
them are pretty darned big and they don't fit down the
drain. But they keep reincarnating dammit! Gonna try
some of that peppermint oil, heard that works pretty good.
I know they eat other pesky insects but it's getting ridiculous.
They need to find somewhere to live besides my bathtub.

edit on 22-8-2014 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Mostly I let spiders crawl on me,

Um....no. I don't mind them as long as I know where they are, but if they are on me, I will come unglued.

I don't mind snakes, but spiders.....shivers.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I don't know why but this makes me laugh every time I see it..

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Thanks for all the comments.

And DarknStormy ...

I don't think I'll ever go to Australia.
That poster right there, settled it for me.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy
well, from that pic you can see how many insects that spider is eating. As for me, I love spiders, I can't understand why so many people hate them.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue
Thanks for all the comments.

And DarknStormy ...

I don't think I'll ever go to Australia.
That poster right there, settled it for me.

I come from a little town in Australia and one thing I used to see making my walls a home was the Huntsman Spider. These days you would think they are extinct because I haven't seen one for years. Maybe they are all flocking to the city lights or something lol.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
That pic gave me the chills!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hellhound604
a reply to: DarknStormy
well, from that pic you can see how many insects that spider is eating. As for me, I love spiders, I can't understand why so many people hate them.

I love them also, We used to have this massive Orb spider by our backdoor.. It was like another pet.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I squish any spiders i see, i am a grown ars man thats scared of spiders, in my younger days i would sit in front of my computer and game for hours non stop, more than once did a spider just bunjy itself on me head, since then its war, hehe.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You would really hate the world without spiders. If you are afraid of bugs. They eat a lot of bugs. Why do you hate spiders? I think you mean you're afraid of spiders. I love them. They keep the plant eaters out of my garden. And they eat those tiny vampires also known as mosquitos. When I find one in my house I capture it alive and bring it outside. a reply to: Rainbowresidue

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
OH please...
Second.a reply to: dukeofjive696969

edit on AM000000310000000883402312014-08-22T09:02:12-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I had a big one outside my kitchen window. One day I saw a much smaller one lurking in the opposite corner and thought oh she has a boyfriend. Not long after there was an egg sac and the old girl was gone. I couldn't leave the egg sac as momma had littered the window sill with exoskeletons and tattered webs. I had to clean that up to wash the outside of the window. reply to: DarknStormy
It's doing that stupid thing with the word-window- again.

edit on AM000000310000000883415312014-08-22T09:15:43-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The black widow is actually a beautiful spider. Sleek and shiny with that red hourglass shape on the underside of the abdomen. It's rare to see one as they prefer dark sheltered places. Wood piles and under sheds and buildings. They do not like to live in houses don't worry. reply to: Rainbowresidue

edit on AMu31u0883413312014-08-22T09:13:46-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join