It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cities Are Causing Spiders To Grow Bigger

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Yeah terrible but again it reacted to you swatting it. It didn't just come along and sting you for the hell of it. So tell me why were you trying to take a sip of soda while lying down? Isn't that how the soda got on your neck in the first place?? Sorry I raised three boys I know what you guys are like. Especially at eight years old. LOL

a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Actually...

www.scientificamerican.com...

Its mostly myth as far as I can see
That will relieve anyone with a tendency to climb the curtains to avoid an eight legged friend!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Aw come on wasn't it more fun the other way? a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DarknStormy
This is how big Wolf spiders(?) get here where I luive. Some are even bigger than this one. If these get bigger in the city then they got problems.

More light more bugs bigger spiders. Makes sense. But I doubt their Wolf spiders are bigger than ours. If they are then science needs to study them as they would be bigger than Tarantulas. I hate spiders. But they are needed.

edit on 22-8-2014 by Fylgje because: typo

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Well, my sister is my polar opposite where spiders are concerned. She would burn herself alive if there was one on her shirt if there was no one around to get it off her.

I had one living in my room, and I never told her, the entire time we lived there. If I had, she might never have come into the house again, so I can understand that some people have a severe psychological reaction to them, for whatever reason, and that the reaction is not under their control.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Your pic or link is missing.
These guys live in my neck of the woods.
sites.google.com...
I don't know how to imbed photos sorry.
Isn't she a beauty?

a reply to: Fylgje
edit on AMu31u0883413312014-08-22T11:13:42-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM000000310000000883416312014-08-22T11:16:37-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

when I was a kid I used to catch grasshoppers and crickets just to feed the orb-web spiders in our garden. Sometimes the grasshoppers were too large and powerful for the spider, (I was just thinking how nice a meal that huge grasshopper would be) and the grasshopper would destroy the whole web, and I would cry my lungs out about the nasty grasshopper destroying the web, lol. Later years, when I had my own house, I would never chase any spider out, nor get rid of their webs. I would welcome them into my house...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
I know that people have severe phobias. I don't really understand the condition. I have no phobias. A large man lurking in a dark corner would cause me to walk away not freeze me in place. And I've had a few encounters with predators growing up in NYC.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I feed the orb spiders too. There was one in an abandoned truck in a field once. I fed it for two months. It got humongous. LOL. a reply to: Hellhound604

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

What horrible news!

To add, this is me before I see a spider. . .

Aaaaand this is me after I see a spider. . . .

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It was the photo that DarmNStormy posted:

The type that you posted(Orb Weaver), we have those too and they get big, but they aren't aggressive. I had one that set up shop on my back deck last summer and it was huge. I let it stay. Wolf spiders, brown recluse and black widows are the only kind that I don't like.

edit on 22-8-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-8-2014 by Fylgje because: correction and typo

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
This is how big Wolf spiders(?) get here where I luive. Some are even bigger than this one. If these get bigger in the city then they got problems.

More light more bugs bigger spiders. Makes sense. But I doubt their Wolf spiders are bigger than ours. If they are then science needs to study them as they would be bigger than Tarantulas. I hate spiders. But they are needed.

I used to get a lot of Wolf Spiders in my home, they would come in during the summer. They are a bit sketchy because they tend to stick to the floor and they are bloody quick as well... The fangs on those guys are pretty intimidating also.

The one in the photo is a Huntsman I'm pretty sure.
edit on 22-8-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hellhound604

when I was a kid I used to catch grasshoppers and crickets just to feed the orb-web spiders in our garden. Sometimes the grasshoppers were too large and powerful for the spider, (I was just thinking how nice a meal that huge grasshopper would be) and the grasshopper would destroy the whole web, and I would cry my lungs out about the nasty grasshopper destroying the web, lol. Later years, when I had my own house, I would never chase any spider out, nor get rid of their webs. I would welcome them into my house...

The Orb spider that was living with me had a massive web and I would throw bugs and stuff in there just to see how it moved etc. On a few occasions I threw cat food in there to see what it would do.. It would come over check it out and simply dislodge the cat food from the web and back to business as usual. I found the Orb spider very intelligent in it's own little way.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
They do have huge fangs. Believe it or not, one that was on the side of some blocks at my dads house, -it's fangs were 3/4 inches long. It would be a painful bite.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
They do have huge fangs. Believe it or not, one that was on the side of some blocks at my dads house, -it's fangs were 3/4 inches long. It would be a painful bite.

I was never bitten by one thankfully but I do remember my ex wife saying that a massive green one appeared out of my daughters jumpsuit when she was a baby. Apart from that I have never had another issue with them though. I even let one run up my arm one night when I was drunk at the Pub. It didn't do anything but I'm sure that if it did bite me I would of been in pain for some days.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I'm sorry if the spider pictures made you uneasy.
Guess how uneasy I felt when that rat sized monster nonchalantly walked pass me whilst on my way home , walking down the street, at night.

I'm very visual and like posting pictures with all my threads.
In my offense I did post a soothing picture of a bunny and a puppy at the end of the post.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Deathly afraid of spiders? Images of spiders send you into a panic?

Solution: don't click on a thread where the thread title includes the words 'spiders' and 'bigger'.

Yeah, lol.
I should have put
******Warning********
*********might contain pictures of spiders******
before I start the thread.
edit on 22/8/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I noticed when I first moved to Laramie, WY that the hosueflies were enormous. They were huge, and very slow. I could swat them barehanded in mid air.

Then, a few years after I moved back to Texas, I saw huge houseflies again. They were identical to the ones in Laramie: very large and slow. The only similarity was it was really cold outside. So I have just figured that their size was in response to temperature, or maybe the amount of sunlight.

RE: population sizes...they vary based on availability of resources as well as availability of predators. A few years back we had a boom in the growth of a certain plant. So the next year there was a boom in the bugs that ate that plant. The following year, more of the birds that ate those bugs.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

What horrible news!

To add, this is me before I see a spider. . .

Aaaaand this is me after I see a spider. . . .

Hahaha, good one!

I wouldn't be out there on the grass in the first place.
I'm allergic to grass.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I noticed when I first moved to Laramie, WY that the hosueflies were enormous. They were huge, and very slow. I could swat them barehanded in mid air.

Then, a few years after I moved back to Texas, I saw huge houseflies again. They were identical to the ones in Laramie: very large and slow. The only similarity was it was really cold outside. So I have just figured that their size was in response to temperature, or maybe the amount of sunlight.

RE: population sizes...they vary based on availability of resources as well as availability of predators. A few years back we had a boom in the growth of a certain plant. So the next year there was a boom in the bugs that ate that plant. The following year, more of the birds that ate those bugs.

Thanks for sharing info BFFT.
It makes sense to me that the climate would have to do with it. That and vegetation.

In my area we have problems with ants every summer, but come the cold weather and they vanish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join