It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicides will soar. Here's why!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It was very difficult for me to find an article yesterday with RW facts and not a list of who else famous died this year.

What I did read was clearly the words most likely to be ruled a suicide.

What's wrong with celebrating his life?! Why can't we choose to have happy memories of a man that just passed? When you die do you want people listing all the stupid and awful things you did?

There are many people in this world I don't understand, you just became one of them.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowresidueThat man made MILLIONS SAD. Please stop feeling sorry for him. I feel sorry that he had no faith.

I lost EVERYTHING. Wife, kids, business, and ALMOST MY MIND. Sure, i thought about ending it....till i slapped myself and said, there is no guarantee that the after-life is better. Trust God. What part of that, people in this thread aren't getting, is BEYOND ME????? There are too many myths behind suicide. One of them being a better after-life.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
It was very difficult for me to find an article yesterday with RW facts and not a list of who else famous died this year.

What I did read was clearly the words most likely to be ruled a suicide.

What's wrong with celebrating his life?! Why can't we choose to have happy memories of a man that just passed? When you die do you want people listing all the stupid and awful things you did?

There are many people in this world I don't understand, you just became one of them.
I don't understand you either. So, you can come off your pedestal. What's wrong with celebrating his life? Uuuuuuuuuhm, perhaps his death. Not like he died of "natural causes", or a plane crash, car accident, overdose; like his peers seemed to have done. Nah. One of the funniest men in comedy, couldn't make himself happy? lmfao That's ironic. I laugh at myself, ALL THE TIME.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ImDaMan

There is a VAST difference between being depressed and suffering from chronic depression. They are not even remotely the same. Educate yourself. We've all been depressed. Most of us have contemplated suicide at some point in our lives when things have appeared hopeless. But that's NOT depression. As I said to an equally clueless poster just this morning, it's like comparing hunger with starvation. And to use religion as a moral authority... ugh.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I have slight misgiving that you do not know what you are talking about.

First off... making the most permanent decision of your life, a decision from where there is no turning back, never will return from and destination unknown... is not for the spineless among us.

No there is something else happening than bravery with people who jump before trains and off bridges.... These people are so deeply depressed that they are not accountable for their actions. Their brainchemistry is not working as it should which makes them not thinking straight.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImDaMan
a reply to: RainbowresidueThat man made MILLIONS SAD. Please stop feeling sorry for him. I feel sorry that he had no faith.

I lost EVERYTHING. Wife, kids, business, and ALMOST MY MIND. Sure, i thought about ending it....till i slapped myself and said, there is no guarantee that the after-life is better. Trust God. What part of that, people in this thread aren't getting, is BEYOND ME????? There are too many myths behind suicide. One of them being a better after-life.

You mean like the myth that you go to hell when you commit suicide? You know playing devil's advocate here, you keep yelling that there is no guarantee that it gets better after suicide, but you are glossing over the fact that there is no evidence that it doesn't either. Your entire opinion is wrong. I don't usually say that about opinions, but in this case I feel safe in that assessment.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

One of the funniest men in comedy, couldn't make himself happy? lmfao That's ironic. I laugh at myself, ALL THE TIME.

You aren't Robin Williams, you do not think like Robin Williams, you do not act like Robin Williams, he was an individual human being like everyone else on this planet. Why can't you understand that not everyone thinks like you? Why is that so difficult to grasp?
edit on 12-8-2014 by Deckard9645 because: My internet voice was too loud.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Robin Williams' suicide is not going to instigate more suicides from others. But you know what would if it were the prevalent mindset in this country?

Your arrogant attitude. The absolute lack of understanding of what someone that shattered internally is going through is fuel on the fire, and you should know that. There's nothing more enabling than the blame game. Why should anyone bother trying to get help if they know they're just going to have to deal with your brand of venom for considering or attempting suicide? That's not exactly a motivation to try to work through things.

I've said it before on here, and I'll reiterate my personal stance on suicide. It's the last bastion of pure freedom. That's the last act you and only you can do, you control your fate and no other. Most people don't have the drive to overpower their sense of self-preservation, but some people do hit that point, and it's their choice. Suicide will wound those left behind, but it's IMO less selfish than expecting someone to trudge through infinite pain because you want them to. If all the meds and therapy available to them was taken and had no effect, no one has any right to make someone continue living trapped in their own special hell.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
As a believer, I will only say this - we are commanded to love others as we love ourselves. When you commit suicide, it is maybe one of the single most selfish acts you can commit. You cannot be loving yourself, and you sure aren't loving the others around you. I understand that you may be in terrible anguish and pain, but killing yourself is only going to expand that pain and inflict it on the ones who love you by robbing them forever of your presence.

The people who love you do so no matter who you are or how much pain you are in. Taking your life away from them, taking yourself forever out of their lives because you can't bear your life anymore says to them in part that they were part of what made your existence so unworthy living and bearing. What guilt will you be inflicting on them to deal with forever and how far will your circle of pain expand?

I realize that people who are about to commit suicide aren't thinking of others, but again, this is why I say it is likely the single most selfish thing they could ever do.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I believe Robin Williams hit the wall,

Many people that have had depression for many years and are being treated with anti depressants hit a point where they are on high dosages and no longer getting any relief.

These high dosages of anti depressants start causing side effects that are worse then the depression.

I was on anti depressants for severe fibromyalgia/small fiber polyneuropathy pain. anti depressants are used to treat neurological pain without depression.
I know what the side effects of anti depressants are like and how they can be worse then the disorder they are used to treat.
For me i quit cold turkey when after a month as i could not think straight and my head literally felt like it was stuffed full of cotton.
I was afraid to drive as i could not concentrate on what i was doing. and i was on a low dosage of Prozac

Many doctors only know to keep upping the dosage of antidepressants when they do not seem to work.

I ended up on Gabapentin for he neurological pain and have been on it for a number of years.

Surprisingly some people are getting relief from depression with Gabapentin and its not a anti depressant and has fewer side effects.
en.wikipedia.org...

www.everydayhealth.com...
www.everydayhealth.com...
brucelevine.net...

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

You know what is cowardly. Judging other people from behind a keyboard. Assuming everyone believe as you do. Making big assumptions based solely on the religion you have faith in. Not knowing how clinical chronic depression works before preaching from the soap box. Then when you realize everyone is against what your saying, change tactics and cry that you are only celebrating life and we just do not understand you.

edit on 12-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You mean like the myth that you go to hell when you commit suicide? You know playing devil's advocate here, you keep yelling that there is no guarantee that it gets better after suicide, but you are glossing over the fact that there is no evidence that it doesn't either. Your entire opinion is wrong. I don't usually say that about opinions, but in this case I feel safe in that assessment.
My entire opinion is wrong? lol Well, i can say the same about yours. I feel safe in that assessment. Some, need to get off their opinion high horse.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Excellent, the topic has been moved to the woo-woo forum.
I can happily dismiss it as religious ravings from now. Good luck with your emotional faith based rantings OP, I hope if you ever suffer damaging mental health issues then you bump into people with more compassion and attempts at understanding than you portray with your opinions.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Responsible, caring pet owners put their pets down when they see them suffering. Sure, it's a hard thing to do, but you want the animal's pain to end. You know it's not your fault they're suffering, and even if it is your fault, that's all the more reason you should be willing to help them end their suffering. I see no difference between that and allowing a loved one to end their own pain. It doesn't matter whose fault it is. The only guilt and unhappiness I would ever have is knowing that someone who cared about me stayed around in horrible pain just to make me happier.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

You know what is cowardly. Judging other people from behind a keyboard. Assuming everyone believe as you do. Making big assumptions based solely on the religion you have faith in. Not knowing how clinical chronic depression works before preaching from the soap box. Then when you realize everyone is against what your saying, change tactics and cry that you are only celebrating life and we just do not understand you.
Cut it out with the "judging" people crap. You don't even know what you're talking about. You're making excuses for suicide, when you say: they were depressed.

Reality check....LIFE IS DEPRESSING. Get over it. I'm supposed to feel sorry for you because you're sad? Please. Life is no bed of roses. Not for the weak!!! Killing yourself is for WEAK MINDED PEOPLE! Plain, simple, straight to the point.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Last year I lost a really good friend and co-worker who suffered depression and had some other issues. I was on the phone with him when he did it and I tried everything I could think of to change his mind and talk him out of it. I brought up his kids, wife, all the people he would leave behind, religious issues, and anything else just to keep him on the phone and talking. I had used my sons cell to alert 911 so they could hopefully find him by his cell location before it was too late because he wouldn't tell me where he was.
Its been a rough thing to live with because I had to tell his wife and parents what his last words were and what he said and I still beat myself up for not doing something different. I gave him all the support at work and after hours I could, time off, offered professional help you name it I did it.
I later found out that he chose to talk to me in his final moments and not any one else... The family was trying to find him as well but he wouldn't answer any calls, why he chose me is any ones guess. I had told him about the dark times in my life and had been in his shoes for many years in my youth so maybe that's why. I got professional help and would never return to having those thoughts again.

My point is I don't think he cared about the after life and where his soul would wind up nor was he concerned about his family, he said "they are all better off without me" Until we can be in those shoes and understand what goes on in the mind we can never answer the questions the OP raised. Depression is a serious disease and I don't agree with calling it a cowards way out or anything like that. Every one deals with things in their own way and I don't think its proper to pass judgement on people who are not thinking clearly.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

The only guilt and unhappiness I would ever have is knowing that someone who cared about me stayed around in horrible pain just to make me happier.

Jesus did that. Oh, but that's just "fiction". My bad.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Reality check....LIFE IS DEPRESSING. Get over it. I'm supposed to feel sorry for you because you're sad? Please. Life is no bed of roses. Not for the weak!!! Killing yourself is for WEAK MINDED PEOPLE! Plain, simple, straight to the point.

Well you're pretty weak minded and you haven't killed yourself yet, so i guess it isn't exclusive.

link   

So as a 'believer', if your child had excruciating bone cancer living every day dosed as high as possible on morphine but still in unbearable pain with no hope of recovery would it be selfish for that child to want to end their life? Or is it more selfish for you to insist that they continue to suffer so that you can pet them on the head and say everything will be ok?

link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

Cut it out with the "judging" people crap. You don't even know what you're talking about. You're making excuses for suicide, when you say: they were depressed.

You should take your own advice and get over yourself. You are not da man. You are a man. By continuing to say im supposed to feel sorry for you because you are sad. Shows you do not know what you are talking about. Oh fyi you called the man a coward. That is judging. This is a religious rant. Have fun preaching to yourself. Good day sir. You are free to believe any dumb hateful thing you want.
edit on 12-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join