It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicides will soar. Here's why!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Robin Williams' suicide just opened the door for people to kill themselves, instead of seeking proper help or support, when depression kicks in. IMHO Robin Williams' suicide is the perfect way to excuse the inexcusable. It says: "Hey, when life gets tough, end it and a better life awaits thee." That's the message i get, with all the tributes and glory Robin is getting; for such a COWARDLY, faithless act. How can a person expect the "after-life" to be better, when they couldn't even make it through this one?

Does it seem fair, that a person could abruptly end their life because they were sad; and suddenly enter through the pearly gates, with an open armed Jesus waiting for them; while the rest of us, have to live in this unfair, corrupt system? Do you think God would allow someone a free pass for quitting; while those that have endured the struggle, burn in hell??? Well, that's the message tptb are sending. The media isn't condemning the act. They're glorifying it. Making it acceptable. Sending a message to the younger generation that says: QUIT!

Here's a perfect example:
Kayelisa Martin, 20, commits suicide by walking in front of semi-trailer after her baby son mysteriously dies at home

For those that may be having suicidal thoughts, let me leave you with this: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THE AFTER-LIFE WILL RELIEVE THE PAIN, IF YOU TAKE YOUR OWN LIFE! Try to endure it, while you're alive because taking your own life, is a risky gamble. One, not worth taking, IMHHO How do you know your after-life won't be Hell: An ETERNITY OF DEPRESSION and SADNESS? Now, THAT'S SCARY!!!

Note to add:

For those that think i'm a mean dude with no feelings, regarding the seriousness of depression; Here's a thread i started on August 7, 2014 (4 days before RW's suicide).

Depression Support Network

Maybe this is corny, but i thought it would be a good idea, to have a thread, where a person can go to get some love and support. I mean, where do you go, when you get depressed? Who do you talk to? What do you do? Life can be a lonely place, but having a little support, sure does make the pain easier to deal with. Who knows? A gentle word of encouragement could save someone's life.

So, DON'T TELL ME I DON'T CARE. I do care. MORE THAN YOU!!!

edit on 108TuepmAugpm8 by ImDaMan because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: ImDaMan
Does it seem fair, that a person could abruptly end their life because they were sad; and suddenly enter through the pearly gates, with an open armed Jesus waiting for them; while the rest of us, have to live in this unfair, corrupt system?

1 - Life isn't fair.

2 - Since you brought religion into it - GOD will judge the actions of people. HE will decide what is fair for that person. HE understands what the persons medical and mental situation is far better than any of us.

3 - Suffering from Depression is not just 'being sad'. It's a serious medical situation. People can't just think themselves 'happy' or something like that. It doesn't work that way.

ETA and no, the media isn't glorifying suicide. They are very clearly stating this is a tragedy and they are NOT CONDEMNING a person who suffered from severe depression. They are handing this correctly.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 8/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I too was tempted to commit suicide years ago.

I believe that the reason so many are tempted by it is because of the massive amount of deception and lies surrounding death.

The same thing goes for all of the mass murders.

They have been deceived into believing that death brings peace to everyone.

Far too many of the suicide NDE's say otherwise:

"As a young woman, Tamara Laroux was in an immense amount of emotional pain. One day she decided to finally end it once and for all and she took a .38 and shot herself in the chest. What happened next was a complete and total shock to her...." Tamara Laroux

"Then I heard a voice of awesome power, not loud but crashing over me like a booming wave of sound; a voice that encompassed such ferocious anger that with one word it could destroy the universe, and that also encompassed such potent and unwavering love that, like the sun, it could coax life from the earth. I cowered at its force and at its excruciating words:

"Is this what you really want? Don't you know that this is the worst thing you could have done?"

I could feel his anger and frustration, both because I'd thrown in the towel and because I had cut myself off from him and from his guidance.

So I answered: "But my life is so hard."

"You think that was hard? It is nothing compared to what awaits you if you take your life."

When the Father spoke, each of his words exploded into a complex of meanings, like fireworks, tiny balls of light that erupted into a billion bits of information, filling me with streams of vivid truth and pure understanding." Angie Fenimores NDE & Suicide

"Angie Fenimore, a wife and mother haunted by abuse in childhood and overwhelmed by despair, was in a desperate state of mind. On January 8, 1991, she committed suicide, hoping to escape her sense of emptiness and suffering. But clinical death didn't draw her to the light seen in so many near-death experiences."

“Tell her that if she decides to go through with the taking of her life, there are eternal consequences that she will have to deal with for the rest of her eternal life. The PAIN that she will cause her daughter and immediate family members will be severe and permanent!

Angie Fenimore - NDE

(post by hades84 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Robin Williams' suicide just opened the door for people to kill themselves, instead of seeking proper help or support, when depression kicks in. IMHO Robin Williams' suicide is the perfect way to excuse the inexcusable. It says: "Hey, when life gets tough, end it and a better life awaits thee." That's the message i get, with all the tributes and glory Robin is getting; for such a COWARDLY, faithless act. How can a person expect the "after-life" to be better, when they couldn't even make it through this one?

Does it seem fair, that a person could abruptly end their life because they were sad; and suddenly enter through the pearly gates, with an open armed Jesus waiting for them; while the rest of us, have to live in this unfair, corrupt system? Do you think God would allow someone a free pass for quitting; while those that have endured the struggle, burn in hell??? Well, that's the message tptb are sending. The media isn't condemning the act. They're glorifying it. Making it acceptable. Sending a message to the younger generation that says: QUIT!

Kayelisa Martin, 20, commits suicide by walking in front of semi-trailer after her baby son mysteriously dies at home

For those that may be having suicidal thoughts, let me leave you with this: THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THE AFTER-LIFE WILL RELIEVE THE PAIN, IF YOU TAKE YOUR OWN LIFE! Try to endure it, while you're alive because taking your own life, is a risky gamble. One, not worth taking, IMHHO How do you know your after-life won't be Hell: An ETERNITY OF DEPRESSION and SADNESS? Now, THAT'S SCARY!!!
Just one question....

Who are you to judge and decide what is best for another person??

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ImDaMan

One thing that's weird is that Williams made a movie about this a long time ago, though in the film it's his wife who commits suicide and needs to be rescued from "hell."

Good article about it from yesterday: Robin Williams' 'What Dreams May Come' Performance Was Transcendent & Far Too Relevant. I've seen the movie… it was good, but very depressing.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I wont ever consider suicide to end my life prematurely as an option.

I'm loved by family, friends and would want to be around to enjoy as much time with them as possible. I'm also disliked by a few and enjoy sticking around to help get their panties in a bunch.

That's how I roll

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Just re-read and saw the "COWARDLY" comment... I'm beyond anger, you are everything that is wrong with the world today... You judge, you condemn without thinking.... SHAME ON YOU!!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Does it seem fair, that a person could abruptly end their life because they were sad; and suddenly enter through the pearly gates, with an open armed Jesus waiting for them; while the rest of us, have to live in this unfair, corrupt system?

1 - Life isn't fair.

2 - Since you brought religion into it - GOD will judge the actions of people. HE will decide what is fair for that person. HE understands what the persons medical and mental situation is far better than any of us.

3 - Suffering from Depression is not just 'being sad'. It's a serious medical situation. People can't just think themselves 'happy' or something like that. It doesn't work that way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
I respect your opinion but would like to express mine:

1. Jesus felt life's unfairness

2. "He that ENDURES TO THE END, shall be saved -(Matt 24:13)

3. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." -(Philippians 4:13)

Not sure what else to say, without this turning into some kind of religious debate. All i know is this, the more we turn away from the TRUTH, the worse things are going to get.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

a reply to: ImDaManead

There's a difference between a young mother taking her life because she doesn't have the coping skills to deal with finding her baby dead and someone who has tried for 63 years to stop the pain.

We watch people commit suicide daily, by riding motorcycles and bicycles without a helmet; relying on massive doses of prescription and non-prescription drugs; smoking, poor eating habits,alcohol indulgence, work place chemical exposure...only it's a slow-motion version of suicide.

I have found it's best not to judge others' behavior, for that is when I draw the same circumstances to myself. I always end up feeling and acting much differently than I thought I would.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Sorry, but I dont think you could be any more wrong. Robin Williams is not the first high profile person to kill themselves. FAR from it. Suicide is already the 11th rated cause of death in the US. If anything, mental health and depression help will probably be made more widely available, and easier to access for those who need it. The more that depression is thrust into the news and spotlight, the more people may actually understand what some people are going through. Depression affects everyone differently.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

If you want to see conspiracy in this, what person outwardly personified happiness, good humor and a spirited life better than he and was known in most parts of the world? Can't think of another person.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THE AFTER-LIFE WILL RELIEVE THE PAIN, IF YOU TAKE YOUR OWN LIFE!

Dr. George Ritchie's NDE confirms this as well:

In a house, Jesus shows him the spirit of a boy following a living teenage girl and begging for forgiveness while the girl is completely unaware of the boy's presence. Jesus tells George that the boy committed suicide and is "chained to every consequence of his act." www.near-death.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: hades84

It makes me sad reading posts like this. Were you in RW's mind to know how he felt and what made him do this to himself?

Are you aware of the wrong message YOU are sending out there to other people who suffer from depression?

People who decide to end their life, specially depressed people, do so because their mind tells them that they are just not good enough for anyone, not worth anybody's time. Your brain is sick, and sends negative thoughts throughout your body making you feel ill. depressed people decide to end their lives because they feel there is no other way out to relieve whatever pain it is they are living with.

so what i'm saying to you is, STFU.
I've been depressed. I've had suicidal thoughts. Hit rock bottom. That's no excuse to quit. And this quote is EXACTLY why i started this thread:

depressed people decide to end their lives because they feel there is no other way out to relieve whatever pain it is they are living with.
Who's the say the pain ends?????? Is there a GUARANTEE FOR THAT? If i kill myself....will all the misery end????

So, while you're telling me to STFU, go find a GUARANTEE that suicides ends the pain. Then, i'll GLADLY STFU!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Quote scripture all day long, but it doesn't change the fact that people with clinical depression are more than 'just sad'. They have an illness. Their brains aren't firing correctly. To condemn people who have this illness is a horrid thing to do.

You brought in religion in the opening post so I"ll address it since it's part of your topic - theologically speaking, they aren't culpable for their self destructive actions. Catechism of the Catholic Church 2283

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide. We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

I have yet to see any MSM celebrating this suicide. Everyone is saying it's a tragedy and they are all discussing mental illness and depression. This has raised awareness about what depression really is (it's not 'sadness') and how it's a severe medical condition. There won't be more suicides ... hopefully there will be less because Depression awareness will be in the news for a while. That is something good that can come from this tragedy.

edit on 8/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I feel like this article from Cracked needs to be posted in this thread. I know Cracked is a comedy site, but this is a serious(ish) article and it talks about some misconceptions that the OP spewed out about depression and comedians.

Robin Williams and Why Funny People Kill Themselves

Here's the intro to the article. Please read it.

You ever have that funny friend, the class-clown type, who one day just stopped being funny around you? Did it make you think they were depressed? Because it's far more likely that, in reality, that was the first time they were comfortable enough around you to drop the act.

The ones who kill themselves, well, they're funny right up to the end.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I attempted suicide when I was 16 years old. No cry for help, a genuine failed attempt.
I walked a few miles into the deserted mountains near my home, had my 'goodbye' note in my pocket, and took 250 paracetamol (500mg) tablets washed down with 3/4 litre bottle of whisky.
Everything kicked in and I hit the floor unable to do anything except lay there crying to myself that I in fact didn't really want to die, but as a result of my planned 'no escape plan' in the middle of nowhere (pre-mobile phone days) I layed there staring at a tree as my vision blurred and I lost consciousness.

12-15 hours later I woke in a mist covered pre-dawn scene, still blurred vision, poor mobility, stumbled and crawled back down to civilisation. I had chronic stomach pains for a week or so, but recovered just glad to be alive.
I ran a few hundred miles away from home a few months after, but that is a different story.

What I would like to say is that cowardice is the wrong word to use for a vulnerable mind which perceives no other way to escape whatever situation they feel is so bad.
I hope you never reach a situation like that in your life, but if you do, I hope you meet people who have more compassion than to call you a coward or faithless.

I am in fact faithless, I was when I tried to kill myself, and I still am now. The reasons I have wanted to live since then is because I don't want to waste my life, not through any fear of some claimed hell or whatever.

link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit

Just re-read and saw the "COWARDLY" comment... I'm beyond anger, you are everything that is wrong with the world today... You judge, you condemn without thinking.... SHAME ON YOU!!
Where did i judge? Perhaps, some of you "think" too much; on the wrong things. That's why you become suicidal. And, you know what....God is a God of FAITH. Not sure what book you've read or who's been preaching to you. So, if you think God is gonna allow someone who displayed ZERO FAITH in HIM...to skip their way through the pearly gates, ya might want to really study that 'religious book' and get some truth.

So, tell me...since i'm not thinking......how can you kill yourself and go to Heaven, when God said: Thou shall not kill??? God can't even forgive you because you're dead. lol Religion has blinded you.

link   

Robin Williams' suicide just opened the door for people to kill themselves, instead of seeking proper help or support, when depression kicks in. IMHO Robin Williams' suicide is the perfect way to excuse the inexcusable.

How do you know he didn't seek some kind of help? And for we know death may have been a better option. I don't know the pain he suffered but I know for some people in this world death may have been the answer. One of my best friends committed suicide and it was the oddest most difficult death I have ever dealt with...but I have no idea how much pain they had. We have a right to choice and if that is what Robin felt like doing...then it is sad but it was his choice. Doesn't make him any less wonderful of a man.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
Who are you to judge and decide what is best for another person??

Warning and judging are two entirely different things...

Is it possible that many of our problems relate to the fact that so many of us have chosen silence and being "politically" correct instead of speaking the truth?

"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people".- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Claire Kuchever: What if you had to tell someone the most important thing in the world, but you knew they'd never believe you?

Doug Carlin: I'd try.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join