It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicides will soar. Here's why!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Oh my, I apologise for typing too loudly.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
RW death won't bring on more suicides. In fact, if people who were contemplating it before saw how much his death affected so many people world wide and expressing what he brought to this world they would think twice and see how much they would hurt their loved ones.

Depression is a serious issue, my girlfriend suffers from it and it takes a lot of patience, effort, and work to not trigger anything. And no depression is the same, but to put things into perspective it's like the person is constantly feeling like they are being shoved into a corner, always looking over their shoulder to see if people are judging them, but at the same time looking for people who will be close to them, but will never let them in. It takes A LOT of trust for someone who suffers from depression to let someone into their lives.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
One big problem with ending a life prematurely is that if one has an illness that has not run it's full coarse then that illness will travel with you where ever you end up. Probally in another life of suffering. Imagine that we have certain amount of sufering to do here before you reach your spiritual growth goal but you off your self just short of that goal. So then you have to come back and only suffer a short while as a child but then you are ready for the next level and in order to get their you have to die all over again and as a child this time. This is why i hate chemical weapons and such. I think mr. williams made it to his destination just fine but a part of the world has died too.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ImDaMan
LOL!
Suicide is not the end of the ride but the beginning to another.
I do not subscribe to organized religions guilt.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Serious depression is not simply low self esteem or the blues... it's a serious, all encompassing lack of any joy or even mild normality... it's foul, lonely and black... where everything is a hollow shell emptied of meaning and beauty, heck, things look different... light is washed out... the brain itself is malfunctioning, thus you are, too.

The good thing is that it does pass, and with proper medication and help, passes more quickly... but when one's very brain can't process like a normal person's... well, normal people just can't empathize and really, now that I feel better myself after a few years of it, I can barely remember the hell it was.

But suicide, obviously, for many reasons, isn't the answer... but boy, I sure do get it.
edit on 8/12/2014 by Baddogma because: add l

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Everyone responds differently to medication, and for some people, medication just doesn't work. Diet doesn't work. Prayer/meditation doesn't work. What are those people supposed to do? How many years are they supposed to keep trying, trying, trying....

People who end up committing suicide usually haven't been depressed for just a month or two. We're talking years and years, usually, with no relief. The exception to that is kid/teen suicides, and that's a whole different issue. That's not usually clinical depression - that's just sadness mixed with immaturity.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I agree that his death won't bring about more suicides. I disagree with your reason. Most suicidal people feel that no one cares about them. Actually that part will bring about more depression. Suicidal people will think, "Look at all the people who cared about him because he was famous, no one cares about me."

I know because when I made my attempt, it was because I every time I reached out in hopes that just one person would show they cared, I continuously got slapped in the face for it.

It really ticks me off when people say that hopefully someone who is feeling suicidal will reach out and get the help they need. I attempted suicide because I was exhausted from reaching out and trying to get help and always turning up empty handed. Heck, a suicide hotline even told me to sleep it off.

The reason people commit suicide? The lack of compassion. The lack of understanding by others. The best way to get someone to kill themselves is to prove you don't care or want to understand.
edit on 12-8-2014 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Baddogma

Everyone responds differently to medication, and for some people, medication just doesn't work. Diet doesn't work. Prayer/meditation doesn't work. What are those people supposed to do? How many years are they supposed to keep trying, trying, trying....

People who end up committing suicide usually haven't been depressed for just a month or two. We're talking years and years, usually, with no relief. The exception to that is kid/teen suicides, and that's a whole different issue. That's not usually clinical depression - that's just sadness mixed with immaturity.

Well said except I am going to disagree. Most kid suicides are the result of abuse, a kid doesn't think about suicide unless they are suffering from abuse. Teens, I would say you are partially correct, but you still have many who do commit suicide due to severe depression and abuse. Also Anti-depressants can make children and teens suicidal, that otherwise wouldn't had they not been on the medication.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Suicide rates, particularly amongst Baby Boomers (Robin Williams' generation) were already increasing. There were a series of stories that seemed to go largely unnoticed of the phenomena last year like the one below. Suicide rates, according to the following article in the NY Times and other similar articles, cited an increase of male Baby Boomer suicides of 50% between 1999-2010.

www.nytimes.com...

The problem already existed. I cannot imagine it improving any after Robin's suicide. I don't think it's out of line to consider that if the world's funniest and most lovely man found nothing more to live for, then others who are already teetering on the edge might not just give in to despair as well.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Consulting a homeopathic doctor may result in a very welcome improvement. I'm still slightly stunned by the improvement I've recently seen in a friend with a very long history.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
"Suicides will soar. Here's why!"

They shouldn't, after all didn't the 80's and Christian Slater movies pretty much cover this issue?

&

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Everybody dies. It's the only guarantee that any of us can really count on.

Jesus came into this world, according to the myth, to die. Jesus' whole reason to live was all about his death. When Satan tempted him to give it all up and "jump", Satan assured Jesus the angels would catch him. I have no doubt that angels caught Robin Williams when he "jumped".

“You’re standing at a precipice and you look down, there’s a voice and it’s a little quiet voice that goes, ‘Jump,’ ” the “Mrs. Doubtfire” star told ABC News in October of that year.

Robin Williams was an empath. He felt way more than one ordinary man feels on any given day. He may have felt that his presence was to too heavy and burdensome, and that his loved ones would be better off without him and their constant worry and concern about him.

He certainly owed us, his fans, nothing more. He willing gave more of himself than any ordinary man could be asked to give. His body of work is a national treasure and a gift of humanity to humanity.

There comes a time when it's right to say "Enough!", "I've had my fill!". I don't know about your God, but my God would agree.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

So, tell me...since i'm not thinking......how can you kill yourself and go to Heaven, when God said: Thou shall not kill???

How can someone claim to be a Christian, and then judge another?

Depression is not only a mental, but a physical illness. Your lack of knowledge on the subject is saddening.
edit on 200000055America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImDaMan

originally posted by: ImDaMan

a reply to: ketsuko

The only guilt and unhappiness I would ever have is knowing that someone who cared about me stayed around in horrible pain just to make me happier.

Jesus did that. Oh, but that's just "fiction". My bad.

So you live your life exactly like Jesus? Wow, you're special, not to mention, perfect.
How do you think Jesus lived His life???? The last i remember...His commandments were to LOVE. Not really seeing any "love" from RW. He didn't love us because he couldn't love himself. His suicide proves it! So, why you keep supporting him, is beyond me. He didn't give 2 craps about you. Left you with a bad taste in your mouth. Whether you want to admit it or not!

You're a shinig example when Ghandi said "I like your Christ, but you're Christians not so much. You're Christians are not like you're Christ."

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Okay, I've only read the first page but I'm sorry, you're entitled to your opinion as is anyone but I have to disagree.

I have wanted to die ever since I can remember. I believe in NO god but don't judge others who do. I have found something that helps me continue just as god may do for you.

When I was in primary school I fantasised about jumping off the bridge over the local train track only I was scared that i'd SURVIVE if I did.

Life has always been a struggle and I enjoy very little of it.

I'm black or white...all or nothing.

I only live for my son and with the help of nightly doses of alcohol (currently on can 7 as I'm typing).

Hell is somewhere I feel that I have endured all my life, if there is a REAL hell out there then I'm sure I'm going there in future but can it be any worse than the "life" i've experienced so far? I don't think so!

I'm on meds and have been for at least twenty years, no matter the type or dose I have never felt any benefit from them.

I've had all sorts of therapy to the point where my doctor is saying "you've had this and that...what do you expect us to do now?"

I know suicide is an option...it's my trump card...I'm currently killing myself with the alcohol but who knows what the future holds.

NOBODY should be judged or attacked for choosing suicide....NOBODY knows what's going through my mind just as I have no clue what is going through yours.

We ALL make choices and we ALL have to live with them whether "good or bad" "right or wrong".

I'm glad you seem to have your faith to help you progress through all the hardships and good times, long may it continue!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Some educational material for folks to read up on.
Sadness isn't depression. It's just sadness. Depression is much more.
Robin Williams Death - The Difference Between Depression and Normal Sadness

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

All i'm saying is this: If a person decides to take his/her own life....HOW DO THEY KNOW DEATH IS BETTER? How do they KNOW they won't suffer after-wards? How do they KNOW the pain will be over???? Let's forget God, and look at the UNKNOWN.....HOW DO THEY KNOW the "other side" is better? WHAT IF IT'S WORSE? Then, what????????
After a lifetime of depression, I imagine they would be pretty sure tomorrow would be more of the same, so why not take a chance on the unknown?

You say you've been depressed enough to have suicidal thoughts, and have been at rock bottom. You have NO idea where 'rock bottom' is, my friend- or you wouldn't still be here.
Your lack of compassion would suggest that people have not been there for you in your hours of need. I am sorry for that.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is my first post in months but I simply had to comment on this self righteous thread. IDM, Who do you think you are?! I don't care if you are a Christian, a Mars worshipping hippie or an atheist, this is beyond unnecessary. I have read many threads here on ATS where people use scriptures to distance them selves from unpleasant thoughts and not taking responsibility for their own feelings regarding the subject being discussed. But you do another thing besides hiding behind a book: you appoint yourself to be the most caring of all, therefore you give yourself a free pass to preach about depression and how to live a life on the basis of a famous actors death, because you...what? Link to an american depression support network? Now tell me, since you use religion and the Bible to back up your inner feelings about the subject, isn't there a place in this book about what you a doing right now?

No matter what you believe in or where it is written, you are allowed to be compassionate and sympathetic or just decent. This thread is nether

We live and cope in different ways. Whatever helped for you helped for you.

R.I.P Robin Williams. You gave so much laughter and joy to the world. I'm sorry it all ended so sad and dark for you and you couldn't see any other way out. You must have been in a desperate place in your mind. Thoughts to your heart broken family.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I agree!!

youtu.be... Nine Inch Nails song - Every day is exactly the same

I haven't taken in and dissected all the lyrics but the chorus of this song generally sums up my life as I'm sure it does for some others with mental health issues.

edit on 12-8-2014 by souljacker because: forgot a word due to the alkypops!

edit on 12-8-2014 by souljacker because: am stoopid

edit on 12-8-2014 by souljacker because: alkypops make me go crazy!!

edit on 12-8-2014 by souljacker because: alkyhol makes me forget!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Yeah, i probably shouldn't open my mouth....but i am. Just to get rid of stupid notions that life is better somewhere else. That ending this miserable means the pain goes away. PROVE IT! Then, i'll be more than happy to keep my mouth shut. Until you prove that the after life is better, if you kill yourself, i'll continue to share some truth.

Maybe you could offer proof that there is an afterlife? That people who commit suicide are worse off than if they had lived?
People who are so severely depressed that they would take their own life are willing to do the extreme in order to stop the pain. They are convinced that the world, and more importantly those they love, would be better off without them.
You may have been sad at some point in your life- maybe even casually wondered what suicide was like- but I'm convinced by your lack of understanding that you've never had an episode of major depression in your lifetime.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join