It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida city: Pull up your pants or face up to six months in prison

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

If folks are curious as to who's running Opa-Locka take a look...I do love saying the name Opa-Locka

Link

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Just what are 'Bermuda shorts'? are they long shorts, or short longs? why do people wear them when not in Bermuda?

I think in Bermuda they just call then "shorts".

What do they call Brazil nuts in Brazil?

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I imagine its possible something similar started with the saggy pants....you couldn't afford pants that fit and got hand me downs that may or may not fit. so this became "style" . this is just theory.
Another theory on this 'style' I first heard maybe 20 years ago was that the 'style' came out of the prisons. In prisons where belts were not allowed for safety reasons allowed the ill fitting prison pants to sag. As friends and family visited the inmates, often the young males would want to give the impression of being 'in' with the 'gangsta' and began wearing their pants in this manner to appear to be of the 'gangsta' type.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
idiots do idiot things.

Jail time for terrible fashion (and simply safety?)? Thats just as stupid as the people tripping over their own pants.

one more step towards 1984.

Can you imagine not being able to board a plane because your pants are too low? Strangely i could believe it.

edit on b1818101 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
a reply to: grey580

As much as I can't stand the saggy pants...it should be peoples choice how they want to dress. I mean if we are fining people for ass cracks hanging out then we need a prison for plumbers....its just another step to control.

when i was younger we wore sweatpants and the style was to pull up the pant legs to about the knees...i have no idea why but we all did it and adults hated it....until as I got older i realized my friend who was really poor was wearing a small pair of pants so to him ...he had to hike up the legs cause they would look awkwardly too short....

I imagine its possible something similar started with the saggy pants....you couldn't afford pants that fit and got hand me downs that may or may not fit. so this became "style" . this is just theory.

I remember when the sweatpants pulled up to the knee thing was happening.
I lived in a predominately black city and they were all doing it because L.L. Cool J (rapper) was doing it,

What they didn't understand was the picture of him wearing his sweats with one leg pulled up to the knee was because he just got a new tattoo on his leg and had triple antibiotic creme on it....

It's funny how people mimic celebrities in fashion and don't even know why they're doing it.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Has any "fashion" trend lasted so long and been so consistent?

Everything comes around in roughly 25-30 year intervals. In the 80's the 50's were a major fashion/art influence in the 90's it was the 70's in the 2000's it was the 80's and here in the mid 2010's there are hints that 70's/90's flavors are creeping into popular art and fashion.

So how is it that such a stupid thing as baggy and sagging pants has remained constant for nearly 30 years now? Is it simple stagnation within a certain demographic? Like how you'll see grown men and women still wearing the clothing of their youth.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Whether you agree with the "fashion" or not, you should not be for this. It further opens the doors for liberties to be taken away because someone else finds them inappropriate.

How long would you lock someone up for walking around in just boxers? A year? Is it even illegal? Bikinis and underwear are pretty much the same thing, and bikini bottoms are even more revealing.

I never pull the race card, but it seems as if they're cracking down on one specific type of person here, and there's not much more logic to it than "we don't like this one specific look", for reasons.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Personally I think slouching your pants is asinine, especially considering where the trend started.
A law punishing it on the other hand is even more asinine.
This country was based on free expression and if women can go topless in New York then let the boys do as they please, they will eventually learn better. I hope!

Topless Women in Public Not Breaking the Law, Says NYPD
mic.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It looks to me that if the "honorable"? Tim Holmes (the commish who proposed this" legislation") bent over the crack of HIS ass would be out by a smile......
Where do all these idiots come from? Southern education!

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just an observation here: this fad started in jail because the guards would take the prisoners' belts away causing their pants to sag. The kids looking up to their older brothers and various incarcerated gangsters as role models picked up the fashion and ran with it. So now we come full circle. A trend that started in jail, migrates outside of jail, and now in this community it gets you put right back into it.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Thanks for your replies guys.

No need to jail or fine anyone - just inform them it's a general understanding amongst prison inmates, that those in jail whom wear their pants with their arse hanging out as per the street fashion, are advertising that they're available for sex.

That's what I heard anyway.

It'll soon be against the law to wear a cap back to front, or odd socks, or tight tee-shirts.

I just think it's going too far that people can be arrested and jailed just for wearing clothes a particular way. It's like a satirical comedy sketch come true.

Why not jail the manufacturers of fabrics and clothing for making them and profiting from this crime of fashion? Why not prosecute jail wardens for allowing this fashion crime to establish? Create a license system permitting clothing retailers to sell items which could be used (worn) in a criminal way?

Can't just jail the wearer, the crime could be wiped out if manufacturers were prohibited from making/selling them in the first place.

The guys should start wearing mini-skirts/shorts like the girls do, we would still see their arses but at least they won't be committing a crime.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As others have written, the saggy pants did start in prison...but it is a message from one prisoner to all others that his ass is open for business...has nothing to do with a lack of a belt...it is simply advertising for sexual penetration.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

a reply to: totallackey

No it didn't start from people offering their sexuality in jail. It happened like I said it happened. Here a source:

Sag Harbored

Claim: The fashion of sagging one's pants was born of a prison mode of signaling sexual availability.

False.

While sagging did gain its start in the U.S. prison system, it was not a clothes-wearing style authored by imprisoned homosexuals intent upon advertising their interest in casual flings. Sagging pants became the behind-the-bars thing thanks to ill-fitting prison-issue garb: some of those incarcerated were provided with clothing a few sizes too large. That oversizing, coupled with the lack of belts in the big house, led to a great number of jailbirds whose pants were falling off their arses. (Belts are not permitted in most correctional facilities because all too often the lifeless bodies of their inmate owners have been found hanging from them.)

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Ya it seem that the people that want to perpetuate the myth that it means you are open for sex are the ones that have never been to jail/prison...
Go ahead and call people out for that "myth" if you are ever in the slammer, see how well it goes for you.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This law is really outdated. Who wears baggy pants anymore. I spent the first 15 years of my life living on the south side of Chicago. I was able to leave that area and move to the suburbs and then the nicer neighborhoods, on the north side, when i struck out on my own. I was fortunate enough to have this option. Many of my family and friends were not. So unlike a lot of people on here I have experienced and maintain ties to inner city life.

So trust me when I say most of the youth in these areas are now wearing skinny jeans and not baggy pants. Baggy pants are not cool anymore. However this is Florida so it could be different there.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Well as soon as you put in 30 years of work in a correctional facility you can come back and tell me again what I do or do not know about sagging pants and prisons. Belts are only taken away from inmates if they indicate suicidal ideation.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: totallackey

Well as soon as you put in 30 years of work in a correctional facility you can come back and tell me again what I do or do not know about sagging pants and prisons. Belts are only taken away from inmates if they indicate suicidal ideation.

From what I know that is true in a police station lock up. They only take your shoe laces and belt if you are suicidal, but in county jail they take everything and give you just a shirt, pants, and slip on shoes. I know people who have been on the locked up side and people who have been on the guard side of the local county jail.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya it seem that the people that want to perpetuate the myth that it means you are open for sex are the ones that have never been to jail/prison...
Go ahead and call people out for that "myth" if you are ever in the slammer, see how well it goes for you.

I was thinking if we just perpetuate the myth, kids will pull their pants up. No need for a law.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Or kids can wear their pants how they want and we can all get over it. Don't like it? Look the other way!
Only people you have any say in it is for your own kids and you can only really control that if you are the one buying their clothes
If they want to look stupid with their pants below their butts then let them. I bet they think the people with their pants at their belly button look rather stupid as well or the guys wearing girl jeans.
We could go on and on about who looks "stupid" in what.

posted on Jul, 18 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver
Sorry to say, but I disagree with you 100%. This is an urban (meaning black) cultural statement that involves the display of a portion of boxer shorts, not a portion of bare buttocks. This is a rigorous cultural rule among the low riders that bare skin is not sanctioned. Let's be honest, have you really seen these "thugs" displaying bare skin, crack and all? If this is what outrages you, then you must have a full time job being outraged, and I find that outrageous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join