It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

You do make a point but at the same time, we already allow this with Alcohol, I remember as a kid how tempting it can look. It's on the same par, I bet more kids are hospitalised through drinking alcohol than weed again; in every scenario even?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: crazyewok

Surely a centralised goverment banning a plant is about as bad as that goverment giving out for free?

Well if it has the 'right' to ban guns then it has the 'right' to ban plants.

Which way is it ?

Neither it shouldnt really be banning anything at the fedral level wouldnt you agree?

The fedral gov should only be sticking to whats in that constitution of yours and letting he states do the rest.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Neither it shouldnt really be banning anything at the fedral level wouldnt you agree?

Actually I do.

One I am working on. Because the United Stoned States of America doesn't exactly thrill me.

This is the biggest problem with American politics the lack of consistency.

Neither can be banned.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

the United Stoned States of America

Don't forget drunk, high on pills, oh, and self righteous. We're not just stoned.

Furthermore, why do you give a damn? No one is forcing you to ingest or inhale anything to my knowledge.

The point is, regardless of what you seem to believe, the WoD is and always has been a travesty and a cash cow, both for the Feds and cartels alike.

Nothing but good can, in my opinion, come from legalizing marijuana and that's just for starters. NO ONE should have any right to say what I can put into my body. No one.

We can keep hiding behind the façade of moral indignation but the truth is you are doing nothing but inhibiting the freedom of others for no other reason than you feel morally superior when you do so.

Eventually your high horse will become lathered. When it does you will need to stop and let her drink maybe then you will realize that we are all drinking from the same pond.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nick Clegg and the lib dems want a review.

A review, woop-de-doo. With flip-flop policies like that I'm sure it'll be legal in no time

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

It should be treated like any other med with small kids around. Keep it separate from other goodies, where kids can't reach it. Or lock it up. People wouldn't leave a prescription of pain killers where their little ones could get at it, they need to do the same with their stash. Older kids, just let'em know what it is and they are expected to leave it alone.
[ yeah right ]

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
The truth is only indoor Cannabis can be used medicinally.

You just can't have bugs in your medication.

Also, it takes real talent and perseverance to grow medicinal quality.

Not saying anyone can't grow the flower. It will grow in a crack in the sidewalk.

Just saying medicinal quality is different from something a hobbiest might grow.

Not even close. Medicinal cannot hold a candle up to the cronasaur quality. That is a myth. You are right about outdoor not competing against indoor but as far as quality it is not a science, it is an art. Government and corporations are terrible at art.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Art really describes it best.

That mixed with science.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
Now the question that springs to my mind is this...

What happens to all this new tax money?

The tax money goes to schools and the anti marijuana propaganda on the radio. 30-40% tax on top of an already considerable price jump of recreational is a big chunk of change.

Medicinal is still the way to go. A red card pays for it self after the first visit.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I thought the whole reason why pot was illegal in the first place was because of hemp. Big Business wasn't having it.

Feds make first step towards hemp legalization

The United States federal government may not be ready to sanction marijuana use, but a new agriculture bill is set to legalize preliminary stages of hemp production in states that allow the practice.

A new farm bill, passed by Congress on Tuesday, would allow universities and state agriculture departments to establish industrial hemp growing programs. If these research programs go well, they could pave the way for commercial hemp farming to become a reality.

This has nothing to do with the feeling one receives. Its about medicine, ending starvation, manufacturing, textiles and the fact that anywhere hemp would be made legal, it would be hard to control the growing and usage of it's cousin.

DEA admits marijuana legalization 'scares us'

James L. Capra, the chief of operations at the DEA, was responding to a question from a senator Wednesday when he admitted authorities are nervous about the prospect of legalization measures, which are becoming more popular throughout the US after decriminalization initiatives passed in Colorado and Washington.

“I have to say this…going down the path to legalization in this country is reckless and irresponsible,” he said. “I’m talking about the long term impact of legalization in the United States. It scares us.”

Lawmakers and cannabis advocates alike expect legalization measures to help boost struggling government budgets by attracting tourism dollars and tax revenue. Yet dozens of current and former law enforcement officials from around the nation have spoken out against the changes as the conversation has gone on. One reason, critics say, is because marijuana arrests and seizures indirectly provide resources for the DEA.

I thought I was the one providing resources to the DEA. Guess they can't make a buck selling it back onto our streets anymore.

Last year, for instance, marijuana lobbyists attacked Bensinger, DuPont & Associates – a company founded by anti-pot crusaders under US President Nixon that now specializes in corporate drug testing – penned an open letter to a Senate committee criticizing the Obama administration’s stance on marijuana.

Freaking DuPont...give up already!

The steam train is gaining speed! Wait.....that's not steam! LEGALIZE!!!

edit on 3-7-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I wonder..

What would a nation of recreational smokers look like?

Imagine people going out for a joint during their lunch breaks.

How would social interactions change? What would a nation with the munchies look and would that be healthy?

Would new markets open up for healthy quick food organically grown?

Would people start working to live instead of living to work more maybe?

I would very much enjoy the day when I can answer these questions from the point of view of experience. Apparently I have been told that good things come to those who wait, I have found it far faster to create the good things.

I think those of us who want a better life should be appreciative of these initiatives of those before us that have put into motion the things that have brought us here.

I shall honor them with a rolled cigarette a glass of rum and a nod to the heavens.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

About time man. It's good to see the American spirit in action again. If you guys start this ball rolling then the rest of the world will soon follow and we can be done with this ridiculous debate and let plants be plants and people be people.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Because these cookies aren't laid out on a plate or in a cookie jar. they're in metallic-looking foil ziploc pouches, or similar. Right?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Crime is down: Obviously. If we take away speed limits, speeding tickets will be down. However, still just as many parking tickets, expired plates tickets, etc.

Dollars are rolling in: Enjoy it while it lasts. How long do you really think all these small business will last with this kind of revenue out there? Pretty soon corporations will run this. Then there goes all your tax dollars. Don't believe it? Have you been awake the last few decades?

Disclaimer: I do not care one way or the other. However, these proclamations sound just a little too over pie-in-the-sky to hold much water.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I've been telling people for years now that weed is going to be legal and nicotine is going to be illegal. From the looks of it the former isn't that far off from being true countrywide. And I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said, other than I concur. I don't even smoke anymore and I still want it legal, because what anybody does with their body is their business, not the governments, because any step towards ending the war on drugs will cripple organized crime and gangs, because those that become addicts should not fear prison but would be able to get no questions asked treatment, because it will fix our deficit and then some, but most of all because my ideal society is one of freedom and responsibility on the part of the individual, not on society at large. So yeah, f*&^ing legalize it already!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Surely the cotton lobbiests can't be that powerful anymore.
Why is it illegal still is a mystery.

Nixon.
See, if you do that, then you must admit that sometimes the government makes a bad call...and more to that, spreads disinfo...and outside of the people whom are currently serving sentences for the plant, pretty much nobody else will even care really once they do admit it...sort of like how that one kid tells a lie of how he didn't eat a cookie, with crumbs and chocolate all over his face...then is soo paranoid to simply admit that he did...thinking people are gonna be shocked....when everyone is really just rolling their eyes at his continued rejection towards telling the truth.

frustrating.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiM3LoRd
I wonder..

What would a nation of recreational smokers look like?

Imagine people going out for a joint during their lunch breaks.

I wouldn't think so. smoking during a lunch break would no doubt be grounds for termination. bit like going out and getting drunk during lunch.
well, termination in the norm jobs, and a bad rep in self owned businesses and such (don't want my dentist stoned while looking at my teeth and considering the implications of tongues in the universe and other such random stoner thinking).

But overall, yeah, a new market, new advertising, new memes and types of users..from the old school hippys smoking the joints, to a bit more trendy types eating laced chocolates and the like, etc...same with drinking...rot gut drinkers verses cocktail partys.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY
Crime is down: Obviously. If we take away speed limits, speeding tickets will be down. However, still just as many parking tickets, expired plates tickets, etc.

Dollars are rolling in: Enjoy it while it lasts. How long do you really think all these small business will last with this kind of revenue out there? Pretty soon corporations will run this. Then there goes all your tax dollars. Don't believe it? Have you been awake the last few decades?

Disclaimer: I do not care one way or the other. However, these proclamations sound just a little too over pie-in-the-sky to hold much water.

It holds much water. If tomatoes are legal, I can grow them, no? We spend way too much on a broken system to place peaceful people in jail. Big business can not regulate what people grow privately. How's that for an incentive to learn how to garden? If your everyday peas and carrots helped you relax after work, everybody would learn how to garden.

$69,527,760 in retail marijuana pot sales.

-10,000 people working in the marijuana industry(1,000-2,000 gaining employment in last few months)

- 5.2% decrease in violent crime in the city of Denver.

- No Colorado stores found selling to minors.

- $10.8 million in tax revenue (not including licensing fees)

Pot revenue up, taxes down...See how simple that is. We currently spend to much on black hole economics and not enough on beautiful mother nature. She is always willing to give back if we take care of her. If my taxes went down, I would have more money to spend on my girlfriend Mary. It's a win-win situation.
edit on 3-7-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

I agree with your second point, moreover I think big tobacco probably has prepared if not is lobbying for this, but as for your first point... that is a half-truth, if that.

When it comes to illegal narcotic sales, there are a LOT of associated crimes, more than just possession or intent to distribute. Murder comes to mind. Narcotics are organized crimes number one cash cow, getting rid of that will effectively get rid of them. Read up on the prohibition of alcohol and crime before, during, and after and you will see what I mean.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Let's do this thing!

This is great news. The effect is about the same as if they'd legalize gay marriage. More revenue, more freedom. No ill effects.

Except the continued breakdown of the moral fabric of our Society. Who needs standards when you have excuses?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join