It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Now the question that springs to my mind is this...

What happens to all this new tax money?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

And that, my friend, is why parents should practice a little thing called "responsibility" and not leave their medical/recreational edibles where their curious kids can get at them. Those children and parents both should count their lucky stars it was only pot they ate and not a handful of some zombifying pain killer/anti-anxiety "medication" because those kids, if they had lived, would have had a far more difficult time of it.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The only politician in the UK I've seen with the guts to admit the "war on drugs" if a failure is Farage and even then he flat out stated that that was his personal opinion and that his party felt different.

Personally I shudder when I here the term “war on .....” because it invariably means that the government is going to use it as an excuse to grab more power and either daemonize or persecute a convenient segment of society.

When will people learn that war solves nothing and that personal choice cannot be dictated down the barrel of a gun or from the end of a police baton.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZeroReady
a reply to: deadeyedick

Yea but part of the problem might be that a lot the edibles look like kids candy. Or brownies. Or cookies. There's nothing really to distinguish them from other goodies. How will the kids know not to eat one cookie, but a different cookie is ok?
I'm not really pro edible but i would say that packaging is the answer along with non advertising of weed products.

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Most dangerous drug on the planet!
Why?
Because it causes severe loss of profits for the alcohol pushers and severe loss of profits for big pharma.

In the uk just go into any grocery store and you'll find the product that takes up the most space is alcohol! In many small stores it fills half the store space!
On a national scale, if even just one third of alcohol consumers switched to pot the loss to the alcohol industry would be measured in billions!
Thats why pot is so dangerous!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My state has medical use on the ballot this November. I don't think it will pass but I have my fingers crossed.

One step at a time.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I know I should be happy, shouting at the top of my lungs "I told you so!!!". However, I'm not.

How many people, in states like CO or WA, where it's legal, or others where it's partially legal, are still sitting in jails, doing long sentences for victimless, non-violent "crimes" concerning pot? How many families have been ruined over the years because of the insane criminilaization of a freaking plant?

Nothing that has come out of the WOD has been good, unless you own a prison and need it filled or are a cop and need some new toys(graciously paid for by the people you have railroaded into prison). I don't see people being let out of jail/prison for these ridiculous "crimes" against no one.

Politicians who enact these laws, police who enforce them and judges that uphold them should all be held accountable for their crimes against society. Those that have been screwed by these laws should be let out of prison. But it will never happen. So forgive me for not rejoicing.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1
Now the question that springs to my mind is this...

What happens to all this new tax money?

Colorado is funneling the first of it into anti narcotic programs and educational programs, medical MJ studies and I believe infrastructure was next.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher It stands to reason that passing these milestones should lead to other dominoes falling into place. It is a great first step.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: monkofmimir

The only politician in the UK I've seen with the guts to admit the "war on drugs" if a failure is Farage and even then he flat out stated that that was his personal opinion and that his party felt different.

Personally I shudder when I here the term “war on .....” because it invariably means that the government is going to use it as an excuse to grab more power and either daemonize or persecute a convenient segment of society.

When will people learn that war solves nothing and that personal choice cannot be dictated down the barrel of a gun or from the end of a police baton.

Nick Clegg and the lib dems want a review.

But then its Nick Clegg....id take a dog turd more seriously

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yet the moral fabric of America remains un-tainted.

Untainted eh?

Not so fast.

B erkeley Requires Marijuana Dispensaries To Provide Free Weed For Low-Income Patients

As a sign of things to come.

For those that 'want to do this thing'.

Enter centralized government creating a government program to pass it out for free.

Then expand that program to cover millions of people.

And the tax revenue that was 'generated' from it doesn't keep up with the 'need'.

So they rob from the rich, and give to the less' fortunate' for everyone gets to have a 'good time'.

Take a good look at the new 'birth control'.

Here comes the 'mandates'.

The moral decline of America is going ahead FULL STEAM.

As a sign of things to come.

And IT IS coming.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Thank you...

Thanks for saving me the time. I have hit a lazy patch today...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I just cannot picture the marijuana industry growing much past a hobby. The fact that it was illegal was the reason it cost what it did. Risk/Profit just like any investment. I do not know what the prices are south of the border but here in Canada the price has begun to correct mostly due to the fact that the US no longer demands our basement mortgage helpers. This is also why Vancouver has essentially legalized it without the blessing of the feds or even the province, but that is another story.

Once the dust settles around the supply methods, shifting from illegal operations to local growers, the fact that it is nothing more than a flower is going to start rearing its cheap and diluted head.

HEAVY...HEAVY restrictions and expensive red tape have to be put on this product in order to give it back any value that it had with the risk of prison.

It should stay just a little bit illegal and socially unacceptable. As long as your not a jerk and your neighbors don't complain about you, you can go ahead and take Saturdays off and enjoy your garden to help pay the bank. The way it is going is down as far as I can see it. With all the hype in the media and no transparent reason why (it's not like potheads are huge voter base) it is getting legalized so quickly (Canada looks like 1933 Germany compared to the US right now) this new frontier is going to burn itself out.

It is going to get heavily regulated once the corporations that lost the taxable revenue (the point of this thread) start reading their spread sheets and realize that nobody is getting off the couch long enough to shop and they can't remember the commercials that get hammered at them (I laughed when I wrote that) they are going to have to act.

Sweep through with the cheapest and cheapest weed that has existed, GM to make you want to shop instead of eat. Is that what we wanted?

edit on 3-7-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Oh Good Lord.

They are being asked to give up 2% of their stock to low income patients. Do you have any idea how LITTLE that is in an operation that grows hundreds if not thousands of pounds a year?

I work in the medical MJ field, I have for MANY years and some patients, simply can't afford high quality pot that deals with their symptoms. Not only can they not afford the product, they also can't pay for the time and effort it takes somebody like me to work out proper dosing, proper strain, proper intake, follow up etc.

Medical Marijuana dispensaries are NOT just sales guys, you are paying for an entire support system for dealing with your ailments. It's expensive to run, it's very time consuming the more patients you have. Which also accounts for the high price in a lot of these places, although some of those price ranges truly are high way robbery.

Regardless, this field will be 100% different in 5 years than it was today. Please don't let your pessimism cloud the fact that this industry is ever involving, hasn't yet been tainted by the evil things you claim it has, on any scale that's note worthy, and isn't likely to fall into those things because of the very people who run them.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Oh Good Lord.

We both know how American politics works.

Besides doesn't really matter what I think.

In the grand 'scheme' of things what the mob wants the mob gets.

People do need to be careful what they wish for though.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher It stands to reason that passing these milestones should lead to other dominoes falling into place. It is a great first step.

Maybe so, it's just too little too late for me. This should never have been in the first place but corporate and political interests made it be. Society has enough problems whether they be globally, nationally or local that we don't need this crap any more.

I cut out a quote twenty some years ago from the paper, it says "A pot smoker is busted every 45 seconds - and you wonder why were paranoid?". That number, last time I heard, was 37 seconds. That's insane and needs to stop, now. Not later, not in a few years, NOW!

Now these same asses who told us we will get prison for having weed are now taking our money by taxing it, making money off of it for their nefarious schemes against us(come on, you can't believe the malarkey about schools and infrastructure or whatever BS they are laying out for where the money will go). I should be able to go out in my yard, clip a bud, dry it out and smoke it - for free. Not pay ANYTHING for it. I can't, unless I pay for the "priveledge".

Yeah, maybe it's better, it's a start. I just see it differently. I don't see how giving the government more money is a good thing and helps the problem at all. I probably have a different idea of what the word freedom means, also. I'm a idealist(or so I've been told) and can't be reasoned with(because I'm a idealist, apparently).

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

But thats not to do with MJ being legalised thats to do with a overbearing centralised goverment.

Surely a centralised goverment banning a plant is about as bad as that goverment giving out for free?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Surely a centralised goverment banning a plant is about as bad as that goverment giving out for free?

Well if it has the 'right' to ban guns then it has the 'right' to ban plants.

Which way is it ?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The truth is only indoor Cannabis can be used medicinally.

You just can't have bugs in your medication.

Also, it takes real talent and perseverance to grow medicinal quality.

Not saying anyone can't grow the flower. It will grow in a crack in the sidewalk.

Just saying medicinal quality is different from something a hobbiest might grow.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher
I'm with you; it is outrageous that anyone ever spent time in prison over this miraculous plant. Not Including murderous drug-traffickers, of course (who would not be in business if the plant were legal). But that does not diminish the advancements made towards legalization in recent years.

After years of frustration with humanity's slow, stumbling progress, I'll take the rare triumphs as they come.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join