It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well, first, I want to say I am definitely pro-legalization as a personal position. Not only because the war on this, especially as something any American can grow in our climate and conditions, has been an abject failure but because it has some really powerful uses beyond the most obvious its so well known for.

Having said that, I think to answer one question on the thread....what would a nation of stoned people look like? It's a relevant question, IMO.

They'd look happy, content and slow to anger. Pretty cool scene, dude!

...they'd also be apathetic..VERY slow to anger, short term focused and generally wondering why people care about crap like what Government is doing anymore.

Precisely what the Government legalizing this are doing it for. We ought to moderate the embrace of this as it comes legal and keep perspective. It's not a golden thing or silver bullet. For every plant to create hemp and industrial products...how many gallons of water that is becoming a serious problem. Ask California about that, as the illegal cultivation is actually being cited as a contributing factor to water problems in some areas. ....the illegal, not proper growing. Important to note.

I think it's going to happen, but we need to recall it's being done for all the worst reasons by the ones actually DOING it. Tax money, and fat, dumb and happy people who don't care about what they do afterward.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
well I'm all pro- this... its natural right? It just grows. Nature provided it right? Grow it... smoke it, take care of it, sleep with it, speak with it, pet it, name it, call it names, watch tv with it, eat it, wear it, whatever... if nature provided it to you, just make the best of it.

So yea, it turns out if you burn it it gives you some effects... hey... but fire is natural and the plant is natural so...

I'm just not a fan of those effects but by all means, enjoy what nature gives you man! I'm sure theres something out there for me

EDIT: oh yea... there is... is called alcohol. Its has some processing to it, but hey... we've been enjoying those effects for quite some ... thousand years now... lol

edit on 4-7-2014 by FraternitasSaturni because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

Even as a pro-legal position, I've never used the 'Its natural' basis. That's a tough row to hoe.

Hemlock is natural. You wouldn't want to have a Socrates Cocktail, for instance.

Many substances are purely natural, and less than a good idea to do anything with but leave be.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: tothetenthpower

And the activists that have been pushing marijuana law reform since forever are sitting there like... "told ya so!"

Few opponents ever denied that revenues wouldn't go up. So the state is now a big dope overlord making all the proceeds. Go ahead and tax it just don't take me to jail!

Watch out for the next round.....higher and higher regressive taxation on Mary Jane for any number of reasons. They will attach your habit! Look out big tobacco there is a new game in town.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Okay.

I'm going to pee on everyone's parade.

Cannabis is a teratogenic substance.

Define Teratogen at Dictionary.com. teratogen. teratogen. a drug or other substance capable of interfering with the development of a fetus, causing birth defects.

We may not see the results now.

But we will be paying the price for this soon.

But party on. The bill won't be in the mail until your child is born deformed.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
By taxing marijuana you are creating the same poor tax that the lotto is. People that can't afford to grow their medicine or don't have the setup or space must buy it, pay a disproportionate tax that richer well off people don't have to pay. I see it as a growers market, either you're growing it and selling it, or growing it for personal. Whoever is buying this stuff is crazy. or lazy like me.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I am all for legalization and I love to see that crime is dropping and the tax revenues are so high. I am indeed one of those saying "I told you so" like most sensible people at this point.

However, I live in Colorado and I would just like to say some members have a point. The system with MMJ was perfect IMO, with recreational the system is still okay but it allows the government to get it's tentacles into the industry and soon I fear recreational pot taxes will be increased and increased and well...you know how our gov gets us to fork it over any way they can.

Anyways, a tip for those in states with MMJ on the ballots coming up. Go get a red card if it passes! If legalization follows in your state, you will have access to much better prices - etc.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Smart mothers to be would not be smoking Marijuana during their pregnancy especially during the latter portions just as any responsible mother to be should not be drinking alcohol. Seems common sense to me.

Might be pissing on the parade of dumb selfish mothers and their children - which is a shame of course but that is all.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Smart mothers to be would not be smoking Marijuana during their pregnancy especially during the latter portions just as any responsible mother to be should not be drinking alcohol. Seems common sense to me.

Might be pissing on the parade of dumb selfish mothers and their children - which is a shame of course but that is all.

Teratogenic substances affect the genetic information in haploid cells. (Ovaries *eggs*, testes *sperm*)

It doesn't matter if the woman is pregnant or not.

She could smoke until she's 25 and quit.

But even at the age of 30, the damage has been done.

The same goes for males.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
It does look promising.

But...

What are the long term effects going to be? As a whole on society?

To my knowledge, there is nothing at all like any sort of research available on this...

Time will tell, I suppose.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Then how come all of us that have hippy parents from the woodstock era were not born with defects?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Then how come all of us that have hippy parents from the woodstock era were not born with defects?

1) How do you know many weren't?

2) Will you just wait until the defects become apparent?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Whether you're right, or wrong in this, it is something that needs thought.

Not to is stupidity writ large.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Isn't that what we do for everything else? How many OTC and perscription drugs, chemicals added to foods etc are pulled from the shelf after 5-10 years of use? After the overlords of health swore it was safe, then oops, we were wrong. Sounds like a great argument to use for the banning of GMO though don't it?

edit on Fri, 04 Jul 2014 04:23:34 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Whether you're right, or wrong in this, it is something that needs thought.

Not to is stupidity writ large.

I didn't create this term or issue all by myself. It's something commonly ignored. What's a few thousand children's deaths or disabilities?

Taxes are coming in, people are feeling mild, and crime is dropping!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Isn't that what we do for everything else? How many OTC and perscription drugs, chemicals added to foods etc are pulled from the shelf after 5-10 years of use? After the overlords of health swore it was safe, then oops, we were wrong. Sounds like a great argument to use for the banning of GMO though don't it?

True.

But it definitely does not support an argument FOR it.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I was being an ass, I don't think GMO should be banned but properly labelled, so those that wish to avoid it can do so. Pot should be 100% legal, able to grow it yourself and evreything, but information should be available. Not the crap they came up with during the antipot propaganda era, but real information, rooted in real science. Then allow people to make their own choices, like we do in most cases, alcohol, tobacco, sugar, coffee etc etc.

edit on Fri, 04 Jul 2014 05:24:40 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000
When it is legal, or there are no cops to come enforce the BS laws, you can grow it outside. For the most part around here, nature takes care of the watering, occasionally there will be a dry spell where we have to water everything being grown outside for a few days. We keep some rain barrels for that, so we don't have to worry about drying up the well lol. Note, I am talking about my food garden in this case, but growing marijuana is not that different from growing tomatoes. Just wanted to clear that up, I do not have a huge pot garden, although I could because we have no police around here.

When it is illegal, it has to be grown out of sight, which usually means in a closet or basement or whatever. No natural water there, so I am sure large-scale illegal groweries do suck up some water supply, unless they also keep rain barrels, I am sure some of them might be smart enough to do that.

edit on Fri, 04 Jul 2014 06:31:26 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Can't have bugs in MM, but it's perfectly acceptable to have 2oo parts of insects in a container of peanut butter? This is simply another excuse as to why a person/s can't be permitted to grow their own 'garden'.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lightedhype
I have heard in Jamaica it is pretty common to smoke during pregnancy, to alleviate symptoms of morning sickness etc, with no known ill effects to be found.

Oh here I found a source for that

edit on Fri, 04 Jul 2014 06:15:11 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join