It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Long term affects , humans have been puffin da herb for thousands and thousands of years you'd think we would see some long term affects by now wouldn't we?

In Any case if we take the US as a model of how well it benefits the economy and if governments are only interested in making money , they would be bat# crazy not to jump at the chance to legalise and sell marijauna as a cash crop
people aren't suddenly going to stop smoking it recreationally , plus it would be good for tourism in the UK people would likely come to Scotland or England than Amsterdam just saying its a really good idea

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
a reply to: beezzer

We would have generations, millions of kids, all screwed up because of this and it hasn't happened. I've NEVER heard of a case where this has happened. I say this is bullspit. It's been around for thousands of years, where are all the deformed kids from pot throughout history?

Nope, I just can't buy that one.

Do you feel we are getting smarter as a nation? If not is that educational or chemical or both? If anyone thinks we are getting smarter as a nation they need to detox for 3 days and answer again.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I really hope we see legalization here in the US soon enough. I'm a user. Not for recreational use, but it helps treat my horrible Crohn's disease. What bothers me today, is that there are people in this country who would look at me as a criminal for using this plant as medication, but taking some random pill made up of god knows what is okay...

There's obviously a positive reason for legalizing marijuana, and it goes much further than helping those with diseases, but it's a legitimate revenue stream for states (ie. Colorado)... I really hope the OLD politicians who are stuck in the "reefer madness" craze will soon enough get with the times.

Props to Colorado... Hopefully, Illinois will join you guys soon enough

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
People, including Democrats, expect to have a drug war without drug violence. Democrats do support many drugs being entirely illegal. They do not support the legalization of heroin or coc aine. Both of those being illegal lead directly to tens of thousands of deaths. On the other hand, when heroin was purchasable by ten year olds at the corner pharmacy, there were NOT tens of thousands of deaths. There was more freedom and more security.

One of the hardest drugs out there is alcohol. Alcohol, despite being a factor in about 10,000 deaths each year in the US which makes it a very hard drug, should be totally 100% legal.

The fact is it should be up to individuals which substances they wish to put in their own bodies. Its their body and their responsibility... not society at large... the individual!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

So we are becoming a nation of stupids because some smoke pot? A weed that has been around for thousands of years and smoked for nearly as long, yet it's effects are only being seen now? Come on, seriously? I'd say propaganda, prison schools that only teach children how to be slaves and a generation raised by video games and Disney flicks has dulled what little critical thought we ever had.

What about alchohol or pharmaceuticals? No, let us just concentrate on the evil weed, that's the ticket. Beezer used a specific word, deformed. So where are these millions of deformed people? There surely should be some epidemic of birth defects considering how many people smoke or have smoked. I've been around the block a few times and while I may not be the sharpest tool, I sure as hell wasn't born yesterday and the deformities angle is a load of bullsnip. NEVER have I seen or heard of even one instance of birth defects stemming from pot. It's just not real.

Some studies have concluded that pot is actually beneficial to healthy brain function. You can find this right here on ATS from years ago, if the search engine works and you search for the right words(don't look at me, I don't have a link, I just know I've seen it here).

I never said we were getting smarter, nor did I say we were getting stupider. "Education or chemical or both?". I would say both, but not because of pot. There is much the T&C doesn't allow me to say, so if you wan't more, send me a message, I'll get back to ya.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I know what you mean. As for me I was in a horrible I guess you could say accident 7 years ago (more like a bomb went off) it detached my retina ,crushed the bone under my eye and almost cleaved my face off. About three years ago I got off the pain meds I had finally had enough of that and it wasn't easy. I was taking Fentanyl in both patch and had the lolly pops.That stuff is dangerous.

I am still in pain but I just deal with it. Doing so zaps most of my energy. I have tried MJ it helped but there are two no three problems with it that keep me from continuing with it here.

1 I don't find much relief from the high THC type and there is no way for me to know before buying there is no quality control.

2 Related to number one. I do not like dealing with dealers it is just to shady for me.

3 The law. That is the biggest reason why I stay suffering. I am to old to be worrying about incarceration over a plant.

November it is on the ballot here in Florida. I will be voting. It has to pass by 60% right now the state is at about 50% 50%.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

So we are becoming a nation of stupids because some smoke pot? A weed that has been around for thousands of years and smoked for nearly as long, yet it's effects are only being seen now? Come on, seriously? I'd say propaganda, prison schools that only teach children how to be slaves and a generation raised by video games and Disney flicks has dulled what little critical thought we ever had.

What about alchohol or pharmaceuticals? No, let us just concentrate on the evil weed, that's the ticket. Beezer used a specific word, deformed. So where are these millions of deformed people? There surely should be some epidemic of birth defects considering how many people smoke or have smoked. I've been around the block a few times and while I may not be the sharpest tool, I sure as hell wasn't born yesterday and the deformities angle is a load of bullsnip. NEVER have I seen or heard of even one instance of birth defects stemming from pot. It's just not real.

Some studies have concluded that pot is actually beneficial to healthy brain function. You can find this right here on ATS from years ago, if the search engine works and you search for the right words(don't look at me, I don't have a link, I just know I've seen it here).

I never said we were getting smarter, nor did I say we were getting stupider. "Education or chemical or both?". I would say both, but not because of pot. There is much the T&C doesn't allow me to say, so if you wan't more, send me a message, I'll get back to ya.

Here's my thinking, we are being dumbed down not because any one singular thing put the pile that has been chemically heaped upon the citizens. Examples would be.

THC (Pot), Meth, '___', Heroin, coc aine, ludes, ecstasy, Ketamine, Many many different psychotropic drugs prescribed, Fluoride in the water, GMO's, PCP, mushrooms, Opium, painkillers, oxycontin etc. All of these and many more are distractions from the real world, and as a society as a whole it doesn't make sense to me to add more. I call some of these "I don't care drugs" I don't care if I have a job, if I interact with family and friends, be part of society, if I get educated, vote, or be responsible in any way. Just so long as I get what I want, and that is another buzz.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

I will have to disagree. When people with pain and depression realize how it can help, they won't be able to grow it fast enough. Hemp farms will be prosperous also.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I love living here.

Another day in paradise.

bright lights big city going to mah head

ps: happy ID4 n whatnot, merica woo!
edit on 4-7-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Our friend's grown daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's back when she was a senior in HS. It was so debilitating for her and at such a young age her mental state was a real concern.

Now she uses medicinal, has her life back. I don't care if it is a placebo she's a changed person, gained weight/looks, feels healthier.

Children being treated with medicinal drops for their debilitating epilepsy is nothing short of a miracle for the children and their families.

I also hope Illinois works for legalization. I'm from Indiana I remember all those corn fields. IL/IN has the best soil, water not to mention generations of farmers in the know. Those two states alone could turn fields of hemp into manufacturing jobs for thousands. I see it providing Americans with locally manufactured goods at a price we all can afford.

Americans like quality and frankly it's beneath us accepting the Chinese/foreign crap shoved down our throats. What our government is doing with manufacturing jobs in no way benefits the American people it benefits their interests/bottom line.

They've had a good run but it's time we take our economy/country back. Maybe marijuana is too extreme for some but making something so controversial mainstream can open doors/minds of outside the box thinkers in other areas as well. Holding onto the fear, knuckling under is not the American way. We need to rediscover our spines, think for ourselves.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

There may be an upside to this. Its very possible, as in highly likely, that in the US, as robotics and automation progress, we've past the point of peak employment. By that is meant that we've past the point of peak labor participation rate. If that is the case then going forward, there will be more and more people who can't find full time work. As that happens, legal use of marijuana would help combat the frustration of these peoples futile lives! A stoned populace is a happy populace and they may well be easier for the gov't to manipulate and control such that crime rates will continue to fall.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

There may be an upside to this. Its very possible, as in highly likely, that in the US, as robotics and automation progress, we've past the point of peak employment. By that is meant that we've past the point of peak labor participation rate. If that is the case then going forward, there will be more and more people who can't find full time work. As that happens, legal use of marijuana would help combat the frustration of these peoples futile lives! A stoned populace is a happy populace and they may well be easier for the gov't to manipulate and control such that crime rates will continue to fall.

Exactly and when you can get those robots to pay taxes for all of the non workers requirements, it will be a perfect utopia.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Now we need to make Achohol illegal. It kills thousands...

Just kidding...See what it feels like.

It wouldn't bother me one bit. I've witnessed the aftermath of alcohol addiction, and it's far worse than the aftermath of smoking a joint.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Okay.

I'm going to pee on everyone's parade.

Cannabis is a teratogenic substance.

Define Teratogen at Dictionary.com. teratogen. teratogen. a drug or other substance capable of interfering with the development of a fetus, causing birth defects.

We may not see the results now.

But we will be paying the price for this soon.

But party on. The bill won't be in the mail until your child is born deformed.

yup...so let's go ahead and make alcohol and cigarettes illegal...let's make products of big pharma illegal because all of those can cause terrible effects on fetuses

or wait...perhaps I have a better idea.

Why not make it legal like all those other more dangerous substances and perhaps let big grown ups be responsible. You shouldn't smoke anything while pregnant...period

People need to be educated and make their choices. I am a late gen x'er myself...mom smoked pot for quite some time before she became pregnant with me...no ill effects here other than crap I caused on myself

I am not saying it doesn't happen...but that's an ill-argument

OTC's and prescriptions cause birth defects...still legal
alcohol causes severe birth defects...still legal and women STILL drink while pregnant
coc aine and meth...seriously dangerous to babies and the people who smoke it...illegal...still done daily by millions

not saying we need to legalize meth or anything but weed was made illegal because big industry and government lied...period. People have seen the signs and knew the truth for ages but oh no we can't shake up the status-quo can we?

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

What is sure to happen is those who were dealing in Marijuana will move onto dealing in other drugs far more deadly and addictive like Cyrstal Meth & Heroin.

Thats where the problems lie..

Nah I doubt it.

Regardless, even if they did have the money to convert their operation over, law enforcement now has more money and more time to deal with the actual problem drugs

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

No brainer)

2nd.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Okay.

I'm going to pee on everyone's parade.

Cannabis is a teratogenic substance.

Define Teratogen at Dictionary.com. teratogen. teratogen. a drug or other substance capable of interfering with the development of a fetus, causing birth defects.

We may not see the results now.

But we will be paying the price for this soon.

But party on. The bill won't be in the mail until your child is born deformed.

As like anything else beezer, if you are using any kind of drug during pregnancy you are an idiot.

Why would this be an issue when alcohol is not, nor are any of the other 'legal' high's out there? This is moot point.

This classification of Pot is actually decades old and mostly based on bad research. Yes there are development issues that can occur in infants and people whose brains are not yet fully developped. Which is exactly what pro marijuana people like me have been saying for years.

Nobody says it's 100% wonderful and there are no risks or problems. What we are saying is these are highly manageable and mostly preventable.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I think it's a pretty good start.
I mean, I have always been a firm advocate of legalizing the stuff. For one, I drink way more beer than I do smoking weed. Two, at some points I CRAVE beer after a hard days work, especially after a hot day, welding for 5-6 hours straight. Nothing better than downing a cold one. But, smoking weed, I've never craved it before, I do it maybe once a month or every two months, usually when I really need to just clear a night, turn off my phone, lock my doors, put the car in the garage, and get baked with my girlfriend, the sleep is unreal. But I'd never do it on a daily basis, because well, It's not addictive, and it's not something I'd do every day, but I sure as hell can drink a few cold ones.

Point I am getting at is if everyone smoked a little, stress would fall ten fold in people. I knew a girl who would be stressed out ALL the time, was so against smoking, drinking, drugs, etc. But one day she tried it and literally became a happier person. Changed her views on life and everything. It was pretty cool. the stuff posses no threat to society, and if used responsibly, like drinking, only good can come from it.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Give it ~10 years before you make a qualitative judgement.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Useless dopehead propaganda. Dopeheads will say anything to push their agenda so they can say how harmless the drug is. I use to be one of the people that said the same stuff. Having smoked the stuff for years and having known people that smoked it it is far from harmless.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join