It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very weird theory that I found on the Internet

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

ray,
I know you are trying to make a point here...and appreciate your research (people at work).

What I don't really understand though, is why you are so involved in this topic, if you truly believe that we all just can't remember?
Are you subconsciously clinging to logic/fact as security? (not an insult)
Thinking about that, I would likely argue the heck outta this if I only remembered/knew it as 'stain' too.

We ALL think we're right.
Maybe on some level...we are.
jacy

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Your cat winks at you?
Lucky you.
Mine slaps me in the face in the morning. That's how she wakes me up to let me know she wants food.
She'd never dare do that to my husband though, hahaha.

Back on topic.
Yes, I've also found many old newspaper clippings with their name spelled with -e-.
I've asked two more coworkers, and they both said it was spelled Berenstein.

They did look at me weird for asking, as if this was something that I should know. When I told them that it's spelled with an -a-, first they thought I was joking, then they looked confused.

I'll keep looking from time to time, but am not really expecting to find real proof.
My mind is somewhat at peace. I know that my memory is not playing tricks on me.
And if some people (which so far have only been a few ATS members here) don't believe me, well I couldn't give a fig or a feather to be honest.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

This is absolutely a right vs wrong situation...how is it not? You can't invent made up theories to explain away physical proof...

Sure you can! They're called 'myths', lol.

Why is it raining?
The sky gods are angry.

Why is the earth opening up?
The earth gods are angry.

They didn't understand a lot back then, so made up stories to quell the mystery.
As far as I am concerned...this is just something that we don't understand....yet.
jacy

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I can't believe you even used that to back up your line of reasoning. It just reinforces that you just have a false memory since every one of your myths has a scientific explanation. Your false memory does so as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Why wouldn't I? This is a fascinating personal study period in how memory works. Not only am I doing an exercise in memory, it has blossomed into how our minds create optical illusions for us and how people can make up all sort of fantasy in order for personal affirmation. I find this to be an excellent scientific exercise.

What are you thoughts on the people who said STYNE even when looking at the actual book?
edit on 27-6-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I can't believe you even used that to back up your line of reasoning. It just reinforces that you just have a false memory since every one of your myths has a scientific explanation. Your false memory does so as well.

Oh, believe it!
Those scientific explanations were not available at one time. People made stuff up.

We don't have a concrete scientific explanation for this, so we are stuck with theories.

You just think we don't remember...and you are close-minded to any other possibility.
If you tell me I have a 'false memory' one more time, I think I will spit.
But the banter is rather stimulating, isn't it?

jacy

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

What are you thoughts on the people who said STYNE even when looking at the actual book?

They should have stayed awake in English class?
The education system is failing them?
They're illiterate?
They pay no attention to detail?
They panicked under the pressure?

jacy

Edit: I have to go out for a while, but will be back to check on this thread....that is, if I remember it, lol.
Stay frosty peeps!
edit on 27-6-2014 by jacygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The physical evidence proves you have a false memory...you are also clearly admitting you are inventing things to cover for that and attempting to hide behind some type of pseudoscientific hypothesis and grossly misusing the word theory.

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation. You can do none of that.

You don't want to spit because I am telling you that, you want to spit because reality doesn't mesh with your perception. Don't hate the messenger...

So engineers pay no attention to detail? Engineers aren't educated? Engineers are illiterate?

The more logical explanation is they are so familiar with their native language and conventional spellings that their eyes saw a jumble of letters and their mind put it together as the correct name, though slightly modified.

That is just how the human mind works. It has NOTHING to do with education or attention to detail.

www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk...

You probably saw the cover, and no matter how detail oriented you think you are, put the word together as BerenSTEIN, just like 100% of my native english coworkers so far (19 and counting)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

There. Even Mr. Spock concurs.
edit on 27/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

if you're going to reject reason and scientific explanations, what is your understanding, or belief, about what has happened here? have you at least reviewed any scientific studies?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Boswell

Scientific studies... do scientific theories count too?
Because I have certainly looked into many theories, even spoken to my coworkers about it (science teachers).

Not all things can be explained in this day and age, so some things are still left up to speculation and theorizing.
I'm firmly sticking to the parallel universes theory for now.
It "rings" well with me.

If you disagree, well that's your right, and I respect that. I really do.
And we can discuss it, and try to find a middle way.
I am open to discussing different theories, but won't sit quietly anymore while someone tries telling me that I am so wrong,and they are right,because they are masters of the darn universe and seem to know everything and have all the answers to life's questions.

Remember that the wise man says, that he knows nothing.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Show me a scientific theory that has shown universes merging??? Again, I believe you have a gross misunderstanding of what a scientific theory is.

I also like how you can gauge a person over the internet. Have I asked what is wrong with you? Or what is wrong with jacy? No, I have simply pointed out rather logical and ACTUAL scientific explanations for what is occurring. I don't think anything is wrong with either of you, but now I am fascinated by the human instinct to invent fantasy in order to obtain personal affirmation.

I got more involved with it, as was said several times in this thread that you appear to selectively read, when my brother was convinced it was STEIN. I wanted to understand WHY people thought it was stein, and found plenty of scientific explanations with actual proof and case studies for how this happens.

You do realize this entire thread is based on a JOKE a guy put up right?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Would that apply to those that "KNOW" it was spelled stein?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Bazinga!

It also says that a universe might diverge into two or more seperate universes, or that two or more of them might merge into one. A universe might diverge into two seperate universes, then later they might remerge.

Source:www.alternatehistory.com...

People have been discussing parallel universes merging for a long time. See ? Something else you didn't know.

Also, I'm not going to waste my precious time going through page by page, every time you said we were wrong. Any one who reads this thread can see for themselves, and yes you have said on many occasions, that we are wrong.

Go back yourself, and read the thread.

To: DenyObfuscation
Would that apply to those who think only this universe exists?

edit on 27/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Would that apply to those who think only this universe exists?

Don't know, don't care. It's not my assertion, it's yours. Own it, and the ramifications to your beliefs on this matter.

It's arguing against your own position.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Your link to a scientific theory is an internet message board?

To enlighten you scientifically: If two parallel universes touch, they don't likely merge, they probably EXPLODE and create a fresh from scratch universe.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

This quote is often taken out of context.

Source

The impreciseness of the paraphrase of this as I know that I know nothing stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.[7]

Chaerephon, a friend of Socrates asked Pythia, the oracle of Delphi: "Is anyone wiser than Socrates?". The answer was: "No human is wiser". Socrates tried to find someone wiser than himself, since he denied any knowledge, among politicians, poets, and craftsmen. It appeared that politicians claimed wisdom without knowledge; poets could touch people with their words, but did not know their meaning; and craftsmen could claim knowledge only in specific and narrow fields. The interpretation of the Oracle's answer might be Socrates' awareness of his own ignorance

The problem that people are having in this thread is that they are in denial about their own ignorance. Unwilling to admit they are mistaken. Which, in my opinion, is a problem that results in the spreading of more ignorance.

THE WISE MAN KNOWS WHEN HE HAS MADE A MISTAKE AND IS ABLE TO ADMIT IT.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

May I ask, is this because I have proven that people have discussed parallel universes merging for a long time?

Also, may I confess something?

In spite of family members, friends, and coworkers telling me the spelling is with-stein,I'm still not satisfied with the answer.

Guess what the realist in me also asks for more proof.
I'm still searching.
I was in a gifted children's section growing up,and have always found studying easy, but this dilemma is weighing on me heavily. Have been reading grade 9 books in grade 2. .
I have memories from when I was only 3 years old and all the things I've done, and an IQ of 138, and it's good enough for me.

My memory has never failed me, most people joke about me being like a computer, remembering everything.
I'm an English teacher, speak 5 languages, and to me spelling is very important.

This hits close to home for me, I wish I knew the answer, but I must admit I don't. All I know is that when I was a child it was written as Berenstein, and when I was teaching my first class ever in my 20s , it was also Berenstein in the 90s.

I trust my memory fully, I don't take notes, or write lists, it's what helps me keep meetings and appointments without ever missing one so far.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I am fascinated by the human instinct to invent fantasy

Look, I think it's a synaptic misfire, too. Okay? I 'm just curious on how or why's. I'm curious how seemingly the vast majority of people have spent their lives reading and saying, Berenstein when that was never on a page. And not one of this particular large number of otherwise literate people ever noticed an A in there when confronted by the word in print. I think that is fascinating.

That isn't going to be solved on the thread, but I imagine everyone will find an answer they are comfortable with.
You think the brain is filling in information. I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm still wondering why/how. I saw the links you posted. They were interesting. I'm not sure they are conclusive as to the how's and why's of it all.

Other people don't agree with you. So what? You can show us all the old books with an A on them. I believe you. In fact, while some of them are looking for stein books, the nonexistence of stein books is completely consistent with an alternate reality. Can you prove there wasn't a dimensional drift of some sort that stranded us here in your homeworld? I mean, it is definitely a trip that SO many of us remember stein so clearly, and yet are apparently demonstrably wrong. And the alternate timeline concept is fun to think about. Ultimately, is a belief of some sort of alternate reality or changing matrix scientific? Well, no. But noone has presented it as such. They presented it as their own possible interpretation of the facts/memory or their belief.

Noone has asked you to start spelling it stein. Noone has tried to convince you that there is an alternate reality.

Of all the beliefs, all the baloney posted all over this site about topics that might actually matter more than our spelling of a children's book title, of all the people that are actively trying to convince you of something in threads throughout the site -- I can't believe THIS topic and we Steinfolk are somehow where you and Bos have decided to draw your bold line: "This is where the madness stops!"

I've never known New Zealand to be anywhere other than where it is on a map. I know in whatever timeline I have occupied (Del-Prime), it has always been right there. That's good enough for me. I never felt the need to post in the thread about it's having "moved" to pick up the Crusade for Del-Prime. Maybe the New(-er) Zealand folk are bad at geography (probably). Maybe they are from alternate timelines. I know where my vote is, and I don't really care where their vote is.

I like Bos. I actually has a sense of humour somewhere in there, as he changed his profile text to "foulest demon" after I ribbed him a bit. You're probably a likable fellow, too (even if you're a Stainite and your brother is suspicious of which world you come from). Same with DO from the thread earlier. It's not anything personal, I just don't understand the obsession over this thread if you always have remembered Stain. I mean, Bos has posted more in the last half-week than he has in the entire six previous years.

Noone is trying to proselytize in this thread. Why are the Stainites?!

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join