It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-word - Refuses to Apologize

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
We know your thresh hold ... one word, one time, with one politician in DC ...

Well, yeah. If someone says what this man said, I consider him a racist. If someone says, "I hate watching TV because every time I turn it on I see that f****** n*****!" Yeah, I think that's a racist speaking. Why did he mention the derogatory term for blacks? If it wasn't racist, he wouldn't have mentioned race. He would have called him an effing liar, effing asshole, effing idiot, effing dickwad, effing communist, effing fascist, whatever. But HE brought race into it. No one else.

Now, how about you answer my question. What would it take for YOU to consider him a racist?

2 times? 3 times? A physical assault with racial slurs? An assassination? A KKK hood? Are they racist?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity

originally posted by: intelligenthoodlum33
Oh goodie! Another thread defending bigots. Ignorance runs deep around here.

I don't think anyone is defending bigotry but we are defending free speech.

This is not a free speech issue...he was free to say what he did.

However, your actions have consequences..."free speech" doesn't mean you can say whatever you want with zero consequences.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Nice to see that pointing out the hypocrisy of the anti-racism claimants is considered "Off Topic".

Bwahahahaha...priceless.

It seems my freedom of speech wasn't protected.
Let's consider this thread as a restaurant.
I was replying to one person and made a reference to another and someone took offense to it by overhearing it (reading through).
My comment was swiftly removed even though I have the expectation of "privacy" when replying solely to him.
Would that be an equal parallel of what we are discussing?

ssd.eff.org...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
what if he was reading allowed the lyrics of jay z and nas' song "my president is black"?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
He HAS free speech ....

He hasn't got free speech if a mob mentality grabs torches and pitchforks because he dared call a politician a name in a private conversation that they weren't even supposed to be listening in on.

That's not freedom ... that's mob mentality ...

He was free to say it, we are free to react.

Or do you want to take away my freedom to my own opinion?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scotscorps84
what if he was reading allowed the lyrics of jay z and nas' song "my president is black"?

That's OK because they are black.

They are allowed to use the slur because of the way they pronounce it.

There are lots of rules these days....Keep up

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Just a little more on this story

Robert Copeland, a member of the police commission in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, exclaimed loudly that he hated watching TV because every time he turns it on, he sees "that f****** n*****." An appalled witness, who didn't know who Copeland was at the time, asked if he was just "throwing the n-word around," and he responded, "Yeah." She later went to the media over the incident, but Copeland has made the bold, insane decision to own it.

For all of you who are claiming this guy isn't racist, I sometimes wonder what it takes to consider someone a racist. What would he have to do? Lynch somebody?

And in his email to the witness that overheard him...

“While I believe the problems associated with minorities in this country are momentous, I am not phobic. My use of derogatory slang in reference to those among them undeserving of respect is no secret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amendment rights,” it read. “I believe I did use the ‘N’ word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse [sic]. For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.”

Source

I can't wrap my head around these people that are defending him.

All I can think of is that people like to protect their own.

link   
Wow, how quick we can go from adult conversation to child like comments.

Peace.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Maybe elevatedon or tothetenthpower can explain why my posts are considered "off topic"?

It is okay for a person, like Rachel Jeantel, to call white persons 'crackers (cracka)' in an actual court of law and not be deemed a 'racist', but it is not okay for Copeland to call Obama a n****r in a one on one conversation that is overheard.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

that's part of the problem...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Then the town would have the same right to respond as they do now.

By the way, you do know there's a difference between saying, "My president is black" and "every time I turn on the TV, I see that effing N-word" Right? Do you know the difference?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
N igger was the name of WWII hero Guy Giborn's much loved dog. It was also the codeword use to signify success in the Dambuster's raid.

It's a word like fat, lanky, ginger, scouser and yank that can be used in a derogatory manner. But not necessarily so.

It's time to stand up to the facsist, racist, thought police.

What are you trying to say? He used the word in a purely derogatory manner. I don't think it was a term of endearment? We're not allowed to call a bigot a bigot because at some point some other person used the same word in a non-derogatory fashion? I don't think you have too much to fear from the "thought police" because frankly, there's not a lot of thought in that statement to be policed.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Maybe elevatedon or tothetenthpower can explain why my posts are considered "off topic"?

It is okay for a person, like Rachel Jeantel, to call white persons 'crackers (cracka)' in an actual court of law and not be deemed a 'racist', but it is not okay for Copeland to call Obama a n****r in a one on one conversation that is overheard.

I'm not trying to compare this guys speech with anyone else's. I'm not trying to excuse anyone else from saying anything.

What I'm saying is based on what he initially said and his response to it. He is clearly a racist and not someone we want guiding our police forces in any manner. This scumbag needs to be fired.

link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I thought the same. It's sad. This thread is a point blank, perfect example of what's wrong in the world. This individual will be taken to the unemployment line because of "political correctness". Don't get me wrong I understand, and he should have known better.

But hey, I'm just a lowly citizen who watches his P's and Q's... Freedom, got some?

link   

originally posted by: kruphix
I can't wrap my head around these people that are defending him.
All I can think of is that people like to protect their own.

Those 'you are racist' insinuations ... ridiculous.

Everyone has a right to a private conversation. If the TV news is correct that the waitress listened in and then blabbed. She's wrong. IF it wasn't a waitress and the guy was bouncing around the room yelling .. the he wasn't in a private conversation and was just being a loud ass.

Defending right to have a bad opinion of a politician in DC doesn't make someone a racist.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
he should have apologized IMO, least he could have done.

not apologizing shows a lack of sense in terms of being a public official

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What station did you hear it on? I'll look it up.

Edit: Never mind. No news stories that I can find are reporting a waitress was involved. I think the OP must have mis-heard.
edit on 5/16/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   

There really aren't that many rules.

A little knowledge of history should clear up any misunderstanding.

It's amazing that grown adults could be walking around not understanding this issue. It's not rocket science...it's pretty self explanatory.

But, when I hear someone make a statement like this...I just have to ask. Do you WANT to be able to say the "N" word? Because that is the only reason I can think of as to why someone would ask why blacks get to say it but not them. And then I think, well...you really shouldn't advertise that you WANT to say this word but aren't allowed to.

Sometimes it is what people don't say that says the most about them.

edit on 16-5-2014 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: NonsensicalUserName
he should have apologized IMO, least he could have done.

You can't apologize if you aren't sorry. Right or wrong ... he means what he said.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Or maybe, when a person of the same race uses it, there is no question that the person wasn't using it as a "racist
" comment.

Guess what, You don't get to say it if your not of that race.

IF your race didn't have a long storied history of being subjugated and called a term, YOU DON"T GET TO BE APART OF THE MOVEMENT TO "TAKE IT BACK"

And use it as a term of empowerment.

WHICH IS CLEARLY NOT WHAT THIS MAN WAS DOING.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join