It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-word - Refuses to Apologize

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Scotscorps84

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Scotscorps84
what if he was reading allowed the lyrics of jay z and nas' song "my president is black"?

Then the town would have the same right to respond as they do now.

By the way, you do know there's a difference between saying, "My president is black" and "every time I turn on the TV, I see that effing N-word" Right? Do you know the difference?

do i really need to reference you rap songs with obama and n*gga in them?

Lupe Fiasco – SNDCLSH In Vegas "Obama lied to you n*gga"
Kid Cudi – Is There Any Love? "they got to like a n*gga call me Obama"
Kendrick Lamar – Monster Freestyle "I bomb on Obama if that n*gga get in my way"
Hopsin-Nocturnal Rainbows "Obama's president, so? What's he represent? Just because the n*gga's half black don't mean he's Heaven-sent"
Game- Hard Times "Barack Obama but the only n*gga that can catch Osama"
J Cole-Aint that some # - "That n*gga walk like Obama man"
The Game ft. Master P - HVN4AGNGSTA "and i just voted for Obama n*gga"

Again. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY? It's not the word, it's the intent. There's no mistaking what he meant. Why are people insisting on feigning a lack of understanding of the nuances of connotation and context to defend this douche bag?

Because some have a guilty conscience, whether they want to admit it of not! It's so transparent to be almost humorous.

Matthew 15:18 - But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

edit on 16-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

edit on 16-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DocMartigann
and by the way waitresses are paid to serve people not go run and tell on people everytime someone says a bad word,

There was no waitress. All stories on the internet don't mention a waitress. She was just a resident.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Im really just playing devils advocate and taking the piss at how riled things get over race. I in no way defend or condone the man and or his actions if it is proven beyond a doubt he was being utterly ignorant and behind the times. I did however wish to highlight context is everything when it comes to things like this. I read not so long ago of a man from a housing estate in London being jailed for using it as a term of endearment to his white friends who also happen to live in this estate which is largely a black area. The media, and a lot of crazy people get way to hyped up about things being said when sometimes there is no need. In this instance the defense is jaw droppingly racist. The reason there is racism is because look how quick this topic divided opinion so quickly over what? nobody killed anyone, no one is directly involved. fire the man and move on

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

OP said waitress i just went with it my bad

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

So it's about context ?

Context is what is obtuse.

How are we supposed the end the use of a word when only parts of Society get to use it ?

Who gets to judge context ?

***Please quit saying I defended this guy...I did not.***

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: SonoftheSun
Ok, FF. This thread's on fire !!!!

I'm thinking it's burning out. The original story on the TV that it was a 'waitress who is a witness' turns out to maybe or maybe not be true. So that kind of changes the dynamics of the story ....

Doesn't matter if it was a waitress or not...the story is still exactly the same.

IF it was a waitress...she is a waitress...not a slave...she still has freedom and rights. She may have decided that it was ethically more important to make the voters of this town aware of what a racist bigot this guy is. Maybe she was willing to lose her job for it, if it came to that. If I was the owner of the restaurant, she wouldn't get fired...I would congratulate her for having a backbone and willing to speak out when she sees injustice.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

So it's about context ?

How are we supposed the end the use of a word when only parts of Society get to use it ?

I guess you missed this....it explains it pretty well!

For the same reason some white folks call each other white trash.

How can culture and the language associated with it escape you?

Perhaps a little research could clear up your apparent confusion.

anthro.palomar.edu...

some great insight here....

www.lexiophiles.com...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

So it's about context ?

We don't need to end the word, we need to end opinions behind those that want to use this word as a slur.

We need to end the thought process that you have of "well if they say it, we should be able to say it".

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The way I see it they are both wrong and they are both right.

He was wrong for saying it in public where it could be overheard the waitress was wrong for making it into an issue however there is no crime in having an opinion on the matter either the waitress or him.

I say let their town sort it out as what is deemed acceptable in public. Yes restaurants are public places.

(snip) happens.
edit on 16-5-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

We need to end the thought process that you have of "well if they say it, we should be able to say it".

Are you trying to imply Black Folks are not smart enough to stop saying the word?

Are you saying Black Folks don't know exactly what the word means and it's connotations ?

Have you ever met a Black person?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

We don't need to end the word, we need to end opinions behind those that want to use this word as a slur.

then really there shouldnt have been a thought to start selling millions of records with the word strewn all over it to impressionable white teens throughout the 90's until present day.

are you telling me everyone who listens to hiphop now is subconsciously racist? I was learning more about American politics and the history of blacks from music than was taught to me in school. Everyone loved it, isnt that a positive thing?
edit on 16.5.2014 by Scotscorps84 because: messed up the quotes

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Are you trying to imply Black Folks are not smart enough to stop saying the word?

Are you saying Black Folks don't know exactly what the word means and it's connotations ?

Have you ever met a Black person?

I see you are trying really hard to start an argument.

It won't be with me, good luck with your trolling on someone else.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I think the OP must have mis-heard.

Nope. I heard waitress. The TV may have made a mistake and changed their story. But the original was ... resident waitress was a witness ... or witness was a resident waitress ... Well .. it's changed now ...

If he was bouncing around acting like a loud ass ... then it's his own fault.
Waitress or not, does not matter.

Again: He said it in public, within earshot of other people. What that person was doing at the time is irrelevant (especially since youve already established that she didnt sneak up to them and eavsdrop or place a listening device).

Watching some of these people back away from their comments is pretty hilarious....kind of like watching roaches scurry when the light gets shined on them.

Fact: He said it in a public place.
Fact: Another person could hear him.
Fact: He is a public official
Fact: They have every right to boot him out of town if they want
edit on 16-5-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Seems to me that some people are simply upset that society will no longer tolerate hatespeech and bigoted views.

Welcome to the 21st century, y'all. Going to be a rough ride if you try and defend hate.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Key points.

Public space-Public official-loud enough to be overheard= fair game.
Racist views-his response proved it and reiterated it-He's a scumbag.

So again ...He's a public official, and it was said loudly and in a public place. He used the word in an intently racist way and reiterated that point in his reply. Is anyone denying that he's a racist? Taken a step further-he's a public official representing all of those citizens. We don't need racists in public office.

complicating the issue by bringing up rap songs and how people use that word and every other bit of it, is just that nothing more than you guys trying to distract us from the main points.

Isn't the main thing the main thing? He's a racist-He's a public official. We don't need racists in public office in this day and age. If you want to fight against rap music and how it effects youth culture and race in our modern society. Then start your own thread.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
Seems to me that some people are simply upset that society will no longer tolerate hatespeech and bigoted views.

Welcome to the 21st century, y'all. Going to be a rough ride if you try and defend hate.

Maybe their upset that one word can constitute hate speech and bigoted views.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The other so called forum banned me for sayin something that actually happened to me in the 3rd grade. I won't repeat it here, but it is the way you pronounce two countries in Africa. Remember I was like what 8 years old.....that was 43 years ago.....just sayin

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I wasnt trying to distract anyone, and given the time to research and word a thread correctly i think I will take your advice. Not just because of the N word controversy but other things rooted in a culture that I have loved for 18 years. I just need to work out how to get things across, seeing as im a fat white guy from scotland, i think alot of people might not think i have the right to voice my opinion on something that isnt really mine.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Maybe their upset that one word can constitute hate speech and bigoted views.

But it can...so they must deal with it. It is totally justified to have that one word carry that much weight.

Either they need to advance their thinking, or just keep their outdated opinions to themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join