It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiritual Reorientation 3: You are your body

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I didn't dismiss it I pointed out it's subjectivity.

Im not being negative here don't get me wrong. Im all for anything that makes someone's life more complete.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sad to see that this board has been taken over by right-wing materialists.

The OP was so full of prejudice, generalization and weak assumptions that I don't know where to start..

There are tons of documented OBE experiences. What they really are, science hasn't explained yet. Do your research.

I don't find it a subject worth exploring myself and I don't see the point in it, and until a person without a body can change anything besides his own perception it doesn't make a difference anyways

But yet you're qualified to make these generalizations and assumptions about the subject that you obviously have no clue about?
edit on 29/4/2014 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: g0dhims3lf

I didn't dismiss it I pointed out it's subjectivity.

Im not being negative here don't get me wrong. Im all for anything that makes someone's life more complete.

I am not reading any negativity from you, just the fact that you require some sort of physical evidence that consciousness soul is indeed ethereal and (with a little push) can venture out from the physical realm. I too would be questioning the subjectivity of this experience had I not experienced it. When you have an experience in the physical realm do you believe that you orchestrated the experience, or did the experience orchestrate you?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: g0dhims3lf

I guess I better start experimenting with drugs then, so that I can learn and be able to discuss them. I should also attempt death I suppose.

Finally you're catching on. Where would we be, without people who have the courage for exploration and experimentation? Although, relax, drugs aren't needed for an OBE.

Also your walking outside example doesn't apply. It can be seen, then you can imagine doing it before having actually done it.

No, it applies PERFECTLY. Because if someone were to say to you 'walking outside is easy to do, because all you need is the belief that you did it' it would be obvious to you that they're either:
1. Crazy, or
2. They've never walked a day in their life.

That was the point of the analogy, to communicate just how crazy you sound to someone who has done what you can only imagine with your mind. Because you have no experience with it. Even though NOTHING is stopping you from having one.

Im sure a paraplegic imagines how walking must be like all the time.

.... And someone born a paraplegic wouldn't argue with you about what it feels like to walk would he?

OBE's cannot, it must only be believed to have been experienced.

I refer back to my first example. Believing something isn't the same as experiencing it. I've heard of the power of belief but you're taking it a tad bit too far.

Most descriptions of the experience are similar because people read what others have experienced, directly influencing them.

Oh I see. So, according to you, the reason why they are similar is NOT because they are similar. To, once again, demonstrate how silly you sound, consider this statement:

"Most descriptions of the experience of being in orbit are similar because other astronauts read what others have experienced, directly influencing them"

This is not an analogy so much as it is a demonstration of looney-talk. Because, again, you admit through your words, that you have no personal knowledge or experience with it whatsoever.

Go watch Plato's Cave to understand even an inkling of what I'm trying to say. Meanwhile, enjoy staring at shadows on the wall.
edit on 29-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

The allegory of the cave can be applied to infinity. It only suggests EVERYTHING can be questioned from a different perspective.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
And who are "they"? And on what do you base your assumptions that people who believe in soul or spirit somehow despise the body?

This reminds me of the "atheists (or was it agnostics?) are satanists"-thread. The NDE's are well reported, so are OBE's. Before you make these lengthy series of threads, please, at least do some research first and present some evidence.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: g0dhims3lf
a reply to: Visitor2012

The allegory of the cave can be applied to infinity. It only suggests EVERYTHING can be questioned from a different perspective.

You've misunderstood the allegory 100%.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Tryptych

Sad to see that this board has been taken over by right-wing materialists.

Look. Another spiritual overlord, trying to horde spirituality for himself. Is whining about what other people think a method of spirituality?

The OP was so full of prejudice, generalization and weak assumptions that I don't know where to start..

A good place to start is a counter argument. An opinion and a complaint is just that if it is not backed up by something more than bias.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tryptych
This reminds me of the "atheists (or was it agnostics?) are satanists"-thread. The NDE's are well reported, so are OBE's. Before you make these lengthy series of threads, please, at least do some research first and present some evidence.

Peer Reviewed:

Voluntary out-of-body experience: an fMRI study

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aphorism

Peer Reviewed:

Voluntary out-of-body experience: an fMRI study

Peer reviewed equates to limiting oneself to a specified field of study and rote, for career/personal reasons and lack of courage to venture into new territories for fear of becoming a laughing stock.

aether-is-one.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Peer reviewed equates to limiting oneself to a specified field of study and rote, for career/personal reasons and lack of courage to venture into new territories for fear of becoming a laughing stock.

Only according to those who think courage is involved in exploring mental territories, and who limit themselves to their own thoughts at the expense of others.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Only according to those who think courage is involved in exploring mental territories, and who limit themselves to their own thoughts at the expense of others.

My post above referred to venturing into the quantum world of consciousness or rather the physical reality of consciousness in the quantum world; these are not my own thoughts.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

My post above referred to venturing into the quantum world of consciousness or rather the physical reality of consciousness in the quantum world; these are not my own thoughts.

A little research into consciousness will show that there is no physical reality to it. The word cannot even be defined, and as such, so has its reality.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

A little research into consciousness will show that there is no physical reality to it. The word cannot even be defined, and as such, so has its reality.

A little research will also show that the best minds in the world don't know, so how is it that you know?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

If you cannot distinguish the expression of disappointment from "whining" that's your loss. If you throw these generalizations and assumptions about "them" out there, don't be be surprised when people criticize YOU.

Also, who's hording anything? Where's this coming from? Has somebody horded your "spirituality"?

And you know this how?

ALSO: your resorting to name calling in your first reply tells a lot.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Tryptych

If you cannot distinguish the expression of disappointment from "whining" that's your loss. If you throw these generalizations and assumptions about "them" out there, don't be be surprised when people criticize YOU.

Also, who's hording anything? Where's this coming from? Has somebody horded your "spirituality"?

Don't be surprised when people hear groundless complaints and call it whining. I mean you still have yet to post a counter argument. So what was the point of your post? To whine?

"A little research into consciousness will show that there is no physical reality to it. The word cannot even be defined, and as such, so has its reality."

And you know this how?

Read a little more carefully. It's called "a little research".

ALSO: your resorting to name calling in your first reply tells a lot.

Still unable to muster an argument?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

A little research will also show that the best minds in the world don't know, so how is it that you know?

The common refutation. People who claim they know, asking "How do you know?"

I don't know. How do you know?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The common refutation. People who claim they know, asking "How do you know?"

I don't know. How do you know?

I know via direct experience.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Somehow I get the feeling that you feel like you're being left out of something and feel somehow inferior.. all the traditions and books are out there and nobody's hording anything. Just don't expect to have very meaningful argument with a person who's interested in this subject with that attitude.

Also, you STILL haven't explained who are "they" and how "they" (who believe in soul/spirit) despise the body?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Somehow I get the feeling that you feel like you're being left out of something and feel somehow inferior.. all the traditions and books are out there and nobody's hording anything. Just don't expect to have very meaningful argument with a person who's interested in this subject with that attitude.

Also, you STILL haven't explained who are "they" and how "they" (who believe in soul/spirit) despise the body?

I particularly enjoy my body and so does my husband and vice versa, but there's also the spiritual aspect of enjoying the body, as well as treating it with respect and kindness because it houses a treasure.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join