It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed Up With Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Overhaul

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
One size does not fit all. The present health "Fad" inappropriately will make some kids do worse in school. A lot depends on the amount of enzymes each person produces. Each person has an individual metabolism, feeding certain food to the wrong person can make them not be able to think properly. Lots of these foods are being pushed presently as healthy. They are good for some people but bad for others.

The picture I saw showed corn products, probably GMO They probably utilize soy proteins also, something that can have goitrogenic properties. Diets to settle down some kids will hurt others with a different metabolic state.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

WP4YT
The schools here charge $180 per half of school year (once before winter break, once after) to pay for the crappy Obamateria food for your kid, and you aren't allowed to send your own food with them..

"Obamateria food" .....then go to the school boards meetings and raise some hell....michelle Obamas "let's move" campaign are made up of guidelines, suggestions, incentives....THERE ARE NO LAWS, this IS NOT mandatory...geez....you make it sound as if getting kids to eat a little healthier, and get some exercise, is somehow bad.....oh right, Obama's wife suggested it....SO IT'S A COMMUNIST, PINKO, NAZI, PLOT TO ENSLAVE YOU!!!!
here's what it does:
en.wikipedia.org...'s_Move!....read it for yourself, and it has references on the bottom
edit on 6-4-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I know of schools(local) who are highly against Obama's telling us what to eat and they do their own thing. The same with the propaganda in text books is pointed out by good teachers. Either way, I tell my kids the truth about whatever they're being taught in school. Particularly about WW1 & 2. States should make their own decisions about their own schools.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Not experienced in how to link yet so I copied and pasted...
It costs $1.90 since for most of my children to eat at school per day. One of them is $1.80. That's for lunch. Breakfast is under $1.00.
They don't complain about the food often but, if we see a particular day that they don't think they will want to eat the food served from the choices we can pack a lunch. They say they are served enough food. The problem I have is that when they get off of the bus, they are starving. Not because they didn't get enough to eat at lunch but, lunch is served to some at 11 am. They get off the bus at 4:15 PM. THAT is the problem.
My oldest son is diabetic so he gets his blood sugar check at 2:30 so if he requires a snack, it is available. Not the other kids though. The kids are on the bus for 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon. That's an average. If one of the other driver's is sick that day they do what's called a "second load" and they could be on the bus for up to two hours. He's not allowed to carry his medicine with him so, that's a bigger issue AND another story.

Anyway, I digress, menu below for a particular week:

Choice of one: deep dish pepperoni pizza, chili cheese hotdog on a whole grain bun, twin pack whole grain PB&J pocket or chef salad with Rold Gold Heartzels and Chocolate Graham Belly Bears. Choice of two: spring mix garden side salad, baked tator tots, steamed green beans or four ounce 100 percent veggie juice. Choice of one: sliced peaches in 100 percent juice or apple wedges.

TUESDAY — Choice of one: bean and cheese burrito, baked popcorn chicken, small whole grain PB&J pocket with Go-Gurt or chef salad with Garden Salsa Sun Chips. Choice of two: steamed broccoli, creamy mashed potatoes, steamed green beans or four ounce 100 percent veggie juice. Choice of one: applesauce or fresh fruit (manager's choice).

WEDNESDAY — Choice of one: beef and cheese soft tacos, honey barbecue grilled rib patty and cheese hoagie sandwich, twin pack whole grain PB&J pocket or southwestern breaded chicken salad with mini tortilla chips. Choice of two: baked potato wedges, fresh-cut veggie medley (manager's choice), refried beans or four ounce 100 percent veggie juice. Choice of one: sliced pears in 100 percent juice or banana.

THURSDAY — Choice of one: low-fat bacon cheeseburger, pizza (manager's choice), twin pack whole grain PB&J pocket or breaded chicken salad with whole grain saltine crackers and croutons. Choice of two: baked curly fries, veggie soup, sandwich trims or four ounce 100 percent veggie juice. Choice of one: sliced peaches in 100 percent juice or seedless grapes.

FRIDAY — Choice of one: baked chicken fryz, pepperoni, chicken and ground beef rotini pasta with mini garlic bread, small whole grain PB&J pocket with Go-Gurt and Chocolate Graham Belly Bears or southwestern breaded chicken salad with whole grain reduced-fat Sweet Spicy Chile Doritos. Choice of two: spring mix garden side salad, creamy mashed potatoes, steamed whole kernel corn or four ounce 100 percent veggie juice. Choice of one: applesauce or pineapple slices in 100 percent juice with fresh strawberries.

I've been to lunch with them and the portion sizes are good. It is the time that is the issue with us...
There is nothing the school board can do about that though as they have a limited amount of time to feed a lot of children...

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Oh of course they should, that way little Johnny can grow up to try and be a physicist while thinking the entire UNIVERSE is 6000 years old.

Or maybe little Jenny can grow up to study paleontology while thinking that fossils were put there by the devil.

The intentional dumbing down of America shouldn't be a goal allowed by state governments. That should be the exclusive domain of FOX News, and Rush Limbaugh.

There's a reason that national education standards need to exist, and the above two hypothetical examples are exactly the reason for those national level standards.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

DJW001
reply to post by Snarl

OMG! Kids are complaining about the food in the school cafeteria! That has never ever happened before in the whole history of humanity! Burn Michelle at the stake!

That's what I thought initially too. However my Sons gave me examples of the things they ate for lunch prior to the New "Healthy" lunches and what they serve now and it's not even close.

For a while they just didn't eat lunch. The food was that unappetizing. Now they make and pack their own. Much better tasting and MUCH HEALTHIER, I might add. Like everything, the government steps in and screws things up even more.

YOUR GOVERNMENT KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU TO EAT AND DRINK. TRUST YOUR GOVERNMENT.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TNMockingbird

Nice menus, from what I have read on your menu it does not compare to our schools, if our kids had the same choices we would not be discussing this, I will have to look up this coming weeks menu.

The cost for what your kids are getting is a lot cheaper, since we don't qualify for reduced lunch we pay full price at $2.25 per meal breakfast is $1.25, these are with out any alicart items that you mentioned like the chicken salad.

I will go look up next week's menu. Give me a little bit I am mobile right now, once I can get on an actual computer I would like to cc compare lunch menus.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

The fact is, US does have very high childhood obesity rates, as well as adult ones. This is costing the government as well as people themselves billions every year. The health costs, productivity loss, all other effects are very negative for the society as well as individuals and unfortunately too many people do not realise that it is a problem-

That is the reason, why I personally see the activities done by Michelle Obama as positive. Somebody, whose voice is heard, needed to address the problems. Adult campaigns have significantly less effect, not saying they do not, but the best way of dealing with the issue is starting from schools.

The 850-calory limit is questionable. Of course, everything is individual, some people do need more calories, some need less. It should considered though, that it is just one meal of the day. Every child should eat a strong breakfast. There is even a saying round here - eat the whole breakfast, give half the lunch to your friends and give your dinner to the enemy. Considering that, if kids at a strong breakfast before school, it would lead to pretty solid calory account for the day. 1000 in the morning, 850 lunch, a few snacks and a dinner, another 500-1000. Already 2350-2850 calories, which is reasonable amount for a growing kid. People doing sports, could eat a whole meal after school, another in the evening, easily gaining a total of 4000-5000 calories.

The healthiness of the foods is another question. Generally, there does exist full consensus on the matter, what is the "best", yet generally it is agreed that minimising the amount of processed foods in the diet, is the way to go.

Calories is something, that I personally do not see much reason to be that much limited, rather the focus should be on the things kids eat.

Here the system differs a lot. Every school lunch (from 1st grade to 12th) is provided by the government from taxes paid. Generally the limit for the meal alone is 610 calories. Although there is also dessert + there one can drink as much juice or milk they want and eat as many fruit/vegetables provided that day as they want (carrots, apples, oranges, bananas etc depending on the day). I personally loved the school foods, when I was in school and I was very athletic (1-3 trainings every day after/before school). Generally the kids were quite athletic in my year and there was no problem with obesity back then - only 1 kid from my class was obese at some point, other were all normal weight.

I believe far more focus should be put on health education, teaching the children more about healthier nutrition than just the basics. This is a subject, that should exist from year 1 to the end, once a week (maybe later bi-weekly, once a month) every year. Most kids, after graduating, do not know what different vitamins do, how to read the labels, what are sugar spikes, what is the difference between processed and natural sugar and how they effect blood sugar levels etc. From that to benefits of different activities on health.

Another point to focus on should be advertising. No schools should have different companies advertisements on schools. Different sodas, sweets should not be even sold on school territory, only fruits and other organic products. Same should go about different children programs in TV, different websites directed towards children. Different studies have shown that advertising during youth affects people´s consuming decisions even when they are adults and even more than the commercials seen as adults do. It is just wrong when a kid can not watch his favourite cartoons without seeing the coke ads.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

Awesome! I welcome the comparison...Tennessee's not such a bad place to live. Unfortunately the academic standards aren't that high here even though the lunches are pretty good! LOL

Those prices are FULL price...LOL Reduced price is only like $.40 LOL

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
IF you haven't noticed ?

Prisons,hospitals,schools all serve the same crap.

And it is only getting worse.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
just to point out - the blisteringly obvious fact that applies to all situations like this

if you give 2 ideolougues the exact same brief , budget and recources [ assuming all 3 are reasonable ] then the one who agrees with the policy will deliver [ in this case - serving nutritious and tasty meals that are enjoyed ] while the one who disagrees with the policy on principle will deliver unpalatable Shiite

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Only six states nationwide require the recommended 150 minutes of elementary school-based physical education, according to a study by University of Georgia kinesiology professor Bryan McCullick.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

If Michelle wanted to make obesity her cause, then why not focus on diminishing PE programs instead of telling us what to effing eat!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

one could also ask why :

school boards
city / county administrations
state leglistatures

have not only ignored the exact same problem -m but allowed the PE curricumum to be decimated

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by beezzer

one could also ask why :

school boards
city / county administrations
state leglistatures

have not only ignored the exact same problem -m but allowed the PE curricumum to be decimated

So they could create a problem, then ask for government help/intervention.

Easy-peasy, lemon-squeasy.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

beezzer

Only six states nationwide require the recommended 150 minutes of elementary school-based physical education, according to a study by University of Georgia kinesiology professor Bryan McCullick.

If Michelle wanted to make obesity her cause, then why not focus on diminishing PE programs instead of telling us what to effing eat!

Why aren't kids served breakfast in school ?

3 squares a day is what they say is 'healthy' eating.

Breakfast, and lunch since they are at school.

I wonder why they don't impliment breakfast programs.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by DJW001

I can tell you what they will say: they don't have enough money to provide food that is both healthy and appetizing.
And I'm sure her supporters would 'eat that right up' too.

Seems to me we didn't have problems like this when I was growing up. I don't remember this being a problem for my own kids either.

So ... why now all of a sudden? MO stuck her nose in ... didn't she?

Because America is getting fatter and fatter, consequently we are getting more and more serious diseases that are associated with a poor diet and/or over eating.

Previous First Ladys had causes like reading, MO is nutrition from what I can gather

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

How are the kids at school during breakfast time? They do wake up at home, why can´t they eat breakfast at home?

I always did eat breakfast at home. Wake-up at 6:30 - breakfast and other essential activities at home and then off to school, which started at 8:00. The lunch time was at 11:30. If the breakfast is strong, you do not get hungry before lunch.

The problem though lies in most kids not eating breakfast at all before school.

edit on 6-4-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

beezzer

I personally think eating is more important aspect to the obesity problem. Although I think both approaches should be taken to maximize benefit.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Not sure what to think about her Overhaul of the school menu, but Ill tell you what, I loved school food, perhaps it was the fatass in me, but I was that one kid that bolted down the halls to make it to the front of the line.
Best school food? Breakfast pizza!, I would peel the bottom layer, eat it that part first, then polish the whole thing off, lol.

Kids should be able to eat anything they want, truth is, if you want an overhaul, increase awareness in physical activity, Make it fun to play outside again.
Tag, Paintball, something if that nature.

If it were up to me, Ill implement morning PT like the military, Run days on Mon, Weds and Fri. MSE on tues and thurs.
But its not up to me...

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Cabin
reply to post by neo96

How are the kids at school during breakfast time? They do wake up at home, why can´t they eat breakfast at home?

I always did eat breakfast at home. Wake-up at 6:30 - breakfast and other essential activities at home and then off to school, which started at 8:00. The lunch time was at 11:30. If the breakfast is strong, you do not get hungry before lunch.

The problem though lies in most kids not eating breakfast at all before school.

edit on 6-4-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

My sister's kids all eat a good breakfast before school, but they still all come home starving.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join